ADVERTISEMENT

Who is your favorite wildcat of all-time, and how old are you?

Kyle Macy - 53 - I used to go thru the free throw routine every time playing grade school at Millville grade school in Woodford Co. It was a good routine and calmed me down and helped me shoot 70% at 10.

Jack "GOOSE Givens. Graduated high school the same year as Jack. Our high school team played them in freedom hall pre game before the Colonels played. 65

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Name your single (one) favorite UK basketball player of all time, and your age. Also tell why, or a story, if you want.

mine is Tayshaun Prince, and I’m 39. I used to go to Uk’s camps when I was in high school ( beginning of Tubby era). This was pre social media and YouTube, almost pre mainstream internet as we know it today. So we didn’t get all the crazy recruiting info and buzz around all the kids we have today, plus I was about a 16 or 17 year old kid myself: The high school aged kids in the camp would all have a current player or incoming recruit coach a team. Our coach was incoming freshmen and McDonald’s AA tayshaun prince. He was 2 years older than me and personified cool. And he couldn’t have been nicer. He coached our team that week, we won the camp tournament, he went on to do big things at Uk… I just loved his silky smooth left handed stroke, his defense, his tenacity. He was clutch.. The 5 3’s against UNc to start the game, the last one just across half court…. “HE’s NOT A PRINCE HE’S A KING’”.. is legendary and something I will never forget. 4 years, 1,775 points (8th all-time). Loved by fans. IMO his Jersey should be hanging in Rupp.
Kenny Walker, if forced to choose. Just loved how he played all-out all the time. Total effort plus high flying rim rattling game = fun to watch. I'm 57, and that '86 team is still one of my top 3 non-title winning favorites. Really a toss up between that team and the unforgettables.

Larry pursiful first one for me than pat riley then mike pratt
As you undoubtely know, Pursiful was a senior when Cotton Nash was a sophomore. As I said in an earlier post in this thread, Cotton has always been my favorite. I'm sure you also know that the 'Cats were ranked No. 3 when they ran up against Jerry Lucas and John Havlicek and their No. 1 Ohio State team in the 1962 NCAA Regional Final at Iowa City. Cotton had a bad shooting night. Pursiful led the 'Cats in that game with 21 points. Lucas had 33 points and 15 rebounds for Ohio State, and the Buckeyes won by 10. It hurt me that the 'Cats missed going to the Final Four that year !

Last edited:
Hell his mean mug alone made most think twice lol
I am 76 , there are four
all of fame players Cliff Hagan , Frank Tamsey ,Lois Dampier and Dan Issel along with cawood Ledford announcer hall of Fame and coaches Pat Riley also John Calipara . Joe B Hall is knocking at the door

Reactions: kywildcat41086
There 4 players in Hallof Fame Cliff Hagan, Frank Ramsey, also Louie Dampieras well as Dan Issel! There are 2 coaches Adolph Rupp and John Calipari , Pat Riley also Announcer Cawood Ledford! Joe B Hall has been up several times . I am 76

73, Scott Padgett
I thought I would be the only one to say SP but I am pleasantly surprised to see a few in here. The look on his face when he walked off the court for the last time after the entire Michigan State team denied him getting the ball because they knew he'd make it... the "clutchness" he was from 3 in big situations, the way he played the game... my favorite.

There was a USA today story about Kentucky/MSU pregame that said something like "If the score is close and the game is late and Scott Padgett gets the ball, Kentucky wins" because he was known nationally as a clutch 3 point shooter.

36, all time favorite is Derek Anderson.

Tayshaun, Wall, Fox, Monk, AD, Randle, T Jones, Bogans, Meeks, Patterson, Cousins. I could name 20 more lol. I like a ton of em.

Obviously Mashburn but I was a tad too young to really recognize how special he was as a player and recruit for us.

The Horse!! The Man!! The greatest Kentucky player of all time. Dan Issel.

How old? I sired the inventor of rope.

I am 54 and I don't think I have to say who my favorite is.
He at minimum should at least be in everyone's top 3 who is old enough to have saw him play.
One of the best talent to have ever played at UK and while many have played as hard. Nobody played any harder.
Macy and Anderson and Bowie were also high on my list. But number two on my list is Epps. They don't win in 96 without Epps.
Oh and Ricky Blanton still sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT