ADVERTISEMENT

Who is Raftery’s heir apparent?

Jan 27, 2023
I might cry when he retires. He’s a delight. Still a great commentator even with his age, and unlike Dickie V, he had the sense to take a notch or two off his antics with age. He’s about as unbiased as they come and always seems to be excited to be watching and commentating on basketball as a whole.

Who’s going to fill his shoes?

PS, people have noted that he might get a thing or two wrong during his calls, but when you have to search through dozens of years of ball on a national level, that’s a pretty easy thing to do.

Listening to Billy Packer call a game was a treat.
jyxzXxi.gif

I can't stand Raftery personally. So whoever is heir apparent is I hope they find him fast.
Not sure what there is to dislike about Raftery but to each their own I guess. I like hearing him call a game myself. Ian eagle also does a pretty good job. Trio that worked the game yesterday will also be calling the final four. It’s a damn shame however not having Gus Johnson call any of March madness. Hearing him in the last 5 minutes of a close game is more exciting than the game itself.

I might cry when he retires. He’s a delight. Still a great commentator even with his age, and unlike Dickie V, he had the sense to take a notch or two off his antics with age. He’s about as unbiased as they come and always seems to be excited to be watching and commentating on basketball as a whole.

PS, people have noted that he might get a thing or two wrong during his calls, but when you have to search through dozens of years of ball on a national level, that’s a pretty easy thing to do.
I think CBS should first call Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan. If they say no, then call Nate Oats, Bruce Pearl, Frank Vogel, Scott Drew, Mark Pope, etc.

I felt like the commentators yesterday were rooting for TN the entire game. They wouldn’t shut up about them. Even when we were roasting them. It was all about TN.

Reactions: ruppcat

Don’t know. But I hope she throws a little lingerie on the deck.

Last edited:
I also hate Billy Packer very much and I’m mad at the people that said they like him.
I liked Packer. I was young enough in the '90s where his voice just became the voice of March Madness. I wasn't analyzing what he said.

But the vast majority of sports fans think every commentator is biased against them. People who are saying a guy like Raftery is biased against us is crazy to me. He's just a guy with famous catch phrases who loves college basketball.

Reactions: Greatestalltime
Funny last night during the game someone actually posted on the Kentucky game thread they had to turn these announcers off........It is freaking Ian Eagle and Bill Raft and Grant Hill what the hell was that dude smoking

Reactions: bigbluedon
Hopefully Dickie V will make a surprise return for the tourney.
He won’t. I’ve always liked Rafftery and thought he’s always been fair to us. As For Vitale, we all knew he was a Duke Homer, but he was also a Pitino and Calipari fan. The Italian roots I guess, so he was always favorable to us especially with them on the sidelines. I don’t really recall how he was when Tubby or BCG was coaching. I just know he’s always considered Pitino and Cal as close friends.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325

Agree. I love Raftery. I think Jim Spanarkel should take his place. He and Ian Eagle make a great team.

I liked McGuire and Packer together though.I remember one time when they were going back and forth and Al told be Billy he spelled his name last name with two c’s because he was so pro ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT