ADVERTISEMENT

This is Cal’s last stand…

Mdnerd

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2022
For the second time in Cal’s UK career I believe he has caught lightning in a bottle. The first was obviously 2012 when he was lucky enough to combine a generational talent like Davis with the returnees due to the potential NBA lockout. That title doesn’t occur without those 2 exceptionally rare occurrences.

This season he finds himself in a spot where his two best players were his least heralded and a last second pickup in Z. No one (including Cal) thought those 3 would do what they’re doing. I believe Shep is also a generational type player with his extreme poise that I’ve never seen in a freshman or hardly any age player. He isn’t Davis from a talent standpoint, but very much the same level of impact.

Point being, Cal will almost certainly never hit the lottery like this again. It’s well known he needs extreme talent to win, and he’s got it. So it’s now or never. This is a special group and I hope it ends like it did in 2012.

Last edited:
Not with giving up 96 points per game. One shooting slip up and you’re home.
Disagree. No team scores 96 while also playing great D. If a team wants to get up and down like that, I’ll take UK all day.

Auburn is the example that sticks out where they worked hard to keep the score down and obviously didn’t come close to 96.

I don’t have time to look, but I’d love to see our record when we give up 90 plus, I bet it’s pretty good…

Reactions: awf and Ron Mehico
The problem with not having much of a defense is if some team gets you down by 10 or more on the road or on nuetral court with 3 other teams fans booing your ass....your in big fking trouble because you don't probably have the defense to come back...
You gotta stop scoring possesions to come back .

Last edited:
If the op by last stand means he won’t have a team this good again, I disagree, but one is entitled to that opinion.

If the op means that this is Cal’s last season here, then that’s way off.

Cal is coaching here until he’s age 70 at least. Maybe longer? But at least that long. That’s 5 more years for those counting.

And when he does leave here it’s his decision.

If Z had been eligible from the get go I think we could have been very serious contenders
If even by Christmas would have been fine assuming cal would have played him as he should. We have had 6 games since he was eligible that cal didn’t even bother trying to get him into the game (either at all or with just a brief appearance). 12 minutes total in those 6 games when a good 12-15 minutes per game would have gone a long way toward both development and conditioning. Look how far he has come in the last 3 games alone.

If even by Christmas would have been fine assuming cal would have played him as he should. We have had 6 games since he was eligible that cal didn’t even bother trying to get him into the game (either at all or with just a brief appearance). 12 minutes total in those 6 games when a good 12-15 minutes per game would have gone a long way toward both development and conditioning. Look how far he has come in the last 3 games alone.
I may have been assuming too much. I was thinking with him being the only big we could have found out about his talent and how to use it.

The problem with not having much of a defense is if some team gets you down by 10 or more your in big fking trouble because you don't probably have the defense to come back...
You gotta stop scoring possesions to come back .
Exhibit 1 yesterday. Down 7 or 8 late?

If the op by last stand means he won’t have a team this good again, I disagree, but one is entitled to that opinion.

Cal is coaching here until he’s age 70 at least. Maybe longer? But at least that long. That’s 5 more years for those counting.

He won’t have a team this capable again. I’d bet a significant amount on that. Just wait for next year when this entire team leaves this offseason.

Our offense has at least something to do with our PPG allowed on D. We give the other team a lot of possessions, simply because we push it on offense . Quite a few long rebounds off missed threes that allow other team to push it also . If we played a style like we played last yr , our D would look at least somewhat better and certainly be better statistically

I just don't see it. One cold shooting night and we're toast. WVU 2010. Uconn 2011. I hope to god we score 130 every game. And just roll all the way to the title.
That’s true of every team every season. Not every team has this level of offense. It’s quite rare and needs to be taken full advantage of. All teams are capable of laying an egg, almost none can put up 115 plus in a high level game. This team is different offensively.

For the second time in Cal’s UK career I believe he has caught lightning in a bottle. The first was obviously 2012 when he was lucky enough to combine a generational talent like Davis with the returnees due to the potential NBA lockout. That title doesn’t occur without those 2 exceptionally rare occurrences.

This season he finds himself in a spot where his two best players were his least heralded and a last second pickup in Z. No one (including Cal) thought those 3 would do what they’re doing. I believe Shep is also a generational type player with his extreme poise that I’ve never seen in a freshman or hardly any age player. He isn’t Davis from a talent standpoint, but very much the same level of impact.

Point being, Cal will almost certainly never hit the lottery like this again. It’s well known he needs extreme talent to win, and he’s got it. So it’s now or never. This is a special group and I hope it ends like it did in 2012.

You're saying the Reed S. has the same impact that Anthony Davis had? If you'd have compared him to MKG then I'd be with you, but Davis? That's so laughable that I'm thinking you have to be joking or laughing when you typed this.

That’s true of every team every season. Not every team has this level of offense. It’s quite rare and needs to be taken full advantage of. All teams are capable of laying an egg, almost none can put up 115 plus in a high level game. This team is different offensively.
I'm trying not to get excited. After 2017 and 2015... But damn it, once (if) we get to the sweet 16 im gonna be all in.

You're saying the Reed S. has the same impact that Anthony Davis had? If you'd have compared him to MKG then I'd be with you, but Davis? That's so laughable that I'm thinking you have to be joking or laughing when you typed this.
Either you’re confusing what I’m saying or we just disagree. Reed is absolutely the guy that brings this whole thing together and has had a FAR greater impact than MKG did.

Davis is of course far superior to Shep in talent and ability. As far as impact on a team, I’d definitely make the argument they are similar. Either team doesn’t have a prayer without these guys.

I'm trying not to get excited. After 2017 and 2015... But damn it, once (if) we get to the sweet 16 im gonna be all in.

I’m honestly not excited and won’t be until there is something to be excited about. That said, it doesn’t take a scientist to see this team has ability we haven’t seen in a very long time. Doesn’t for a second mean it will translate to a deep run, but it should…

Either you’re confusing what I’m saying or we just disagree. Reed is absolutely the guy that brings this whole thing together and has had a FAR greater impact than MKG did.

Davis is of course far superior to Shep in talent and ability. As far as impact on a team, I’d definitely make the argument they are similar. Either team doesn’t have a prayer without these guys.

This year's team doesn't really have a prayer compared to 2012.

Davis had the best single season individual and team wise in UK history. He left UK to 38 wins, a team record. 2012 was a given to win it all with the only team that could maybe have hung with them being 2012 healthy UNC.

There's a ton of teams that can hang with and beat this year's UK team.

I may have been assuming too much. I was thinking with him being the only big we could have found out about his talent and how to use it.
Definitely if he was eligible at the beginning of the year without Ugo or Bradshaw he would most certainly be light years ahead where he is now and possibly one of the best players in college basketball. He has that kind of potential. I’d love to get one more year of him, and if shep joined him not even sure cal could eff that up but he probably would.

You have to be Ed33333322222222222222 your equally as annoying.

Reactions: SemperFiCat

Think you’re overrating Reed and underrating MKG. Both highly impactful, neither on par with AD.

I don’t have a problem with the idea that Reed is overall the most impactful player on this team. But that 2012 team was special. About 2 notches above what we’ve seen from this year’s team so far.

This year's team doesn't really have a prayer compared to 2012.

Davis had the best single season individual and team wise in UK history. He left UK to 38 wins, a team record. 2012 was a given to win it all with the only team that could maybe have hung with them being 2012 healthy UNC.

There's a ton of teams that can hang with and beat this year's UK team.
I’ll agree the 2012 team is superior to this team. So what would it mean if Shep took this team that is far less capable to the same end result? Would you still argue his impact is less?

He won’t have a team this capable again. I’d bet a significant amount on that. Just wait for next year when this entire team leaves this offseason.
We’re screwed if we don’t get 3-4 guys back. I’m none too enamored with the incoming class.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Which is why it’s so important to play your best lineups, especially to start the game
It should be hard for anyone to disagree with you, but you can be certain there are several on this board who will disagree with you.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I’ll agree the 2012 team is superior to this team. So what would it mean if Shep took this team that is far less capable to the same end result? Would you still argue his impact is less?

It's not gonna happen.

Cal is the coach and he won't sniff a final four.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
They are actually giving up 79.2 a game
We can argue about the number of points we give up all day long, but this team is 98th in defensive efficiency and giving up over 1 point per possession. The only way you get to the Final Four with numbers like that is if you have the ability to absolutely flip a switch for four straight games. Maybe when it's lose and go home they can do that, but so far they cannot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT