ADVERTISEMENT

Who is our next OC?

And Gran was forced to play that style because of QB injuries, etc. Gran is a quality coordinator. The problem he now has is the perception of not throwing the ball, so that may hamper his effectiveness if he got that job again. Unfortunately, perception is everything, but Gran knows what he is doing.
Which is ironic because gran threw the ball around quite a bit when he was at UC. But didn’t quite have a QB capable of throwing at that volume or effectiveness here. Plus he had Benny Snell so you gotta go with what you got. Gran was good at adapting. I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing what he could do with Vandagriff if it came to that.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I am liking the option of Tommy Rees. He has 4 years of experience as an OC at major college football programs. He's extremely young at 31, so he should have lots of energy for recruiting. And he should relate well to players. His time at Notre Dame and Alabama means he has spent time recruiting key areas we need to recruit well. And that also means he's had multiple years of establishing relationships with recruits, most of them high end talents. He might be able to steer some of those UK's way.

The only negatives I can find with hiring someone so young is the fact that he has lots of ambition and like Coen, may not stick around long. Being young, he may also be less likely to stand his ground and be willing to bump heads with Stoops when it comes to managing his offense. These are two areas where an older guy like Moorhead might be a better option. But recruiting is so important that the strengths of a guy like Rees may trump the experience of Moorhead, who isn't very personable.
The thing about OC’s these days is that you don’t hire for the long term. You hire for right now. I hope the offensive players are consulted and have a say. You want to hire the guy who’s going to get the most out of the players you have on the roster instead of trying to change systems and force a square peg into a round hole.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Are you talking about the same Gran that won 10 games including the citrus?

If we're talking 7 wins being the top, Gran got 8 with the top 3 QBs out. Salvaging our 2019 season with a wr at QB after completely changing our offense three times, twice during the season. It was such a an incredible job it literally reduced Chris doehring to tears on the sec post season wrap up.

The notion we were a 7-5 program with him is just not true. His last season was the worst during covid playing an all sec schedule having one of his best friends die mid season and his QB coach basically quit after Mizzou.

I know fans thought he was boring and I know for perception sake we needed a change. But I don't understand the revisionist history and general dislike for someone that was the difference in getting us over the 5 win hump while winning alot of games under some difficult circumstances (his daughter died during his oc time too).
He’s been loyal too. I’m sure there are a lot of programs who would be happy to have him but for whatever reason he seems happy to be part of this program in whatever capacity.

You just joined Wednesday big mouth. Try toning it down for a few weeks and you won’t have to re-up again because you were a big mouth and booted on your previous name.
If you'd have taken your own advice, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I haven't broken any rules. F off

I still don't understand the infatuation with Sumrall.... it's like the "it's not your money!" crowds wet dream..... same people that were saying " build the statue!" a year ago. There are better, proven options out there. Give it some time and he may fully prove himself.
Sumrall may be a good option when Stoops ultimately leaves, but he’s made a good progression in his career by going to Tulane. If he can maintain the level of success he had at Troy then yeah I won’t be mad if he’s Stoops successor.

Tommy Rees was at AL because Saban knew he was a top level hire. We would be lucky to get him. But if it were to happen, some fans would be asking from the jump how long he would stay here. And you never know. Assistant coaches are always looking for better deals and better jobs. Nature of the beast. No matter who gets hired, he won't be here forever. Barnhart was on the hook for $1.8 million for Coen this year. That's serious money. We have the money and resources to hire a better OC than Coen, but the due diligence needs to be better than it was for Coen or Scan.
You hire for right now not four or five years from now. Coordinators come and go. We find the guy who’s going to get the most out of who we have now and if he sticks around you recruit to that system in the future.

I had already deleted it. He came in the back end of a conversation he had no part in. Kind of like what you're doing.
Don’t know that I should respond to this as you might get upset because you later deleted it. Oh well. I’ll take a chance.

I don't think Dana Holgerson has a good reputation of playing well with others. Doubt he would be UK'S OC, or anyone else's will hire him in 2024. Probably bounces down to very low level G5 head coaching job.

Hardly. Crod averaged around 6 yards a carry for his career. No matter what fronts were there, Gran was still able to run the ball extremely well vs anyone other than Georgia. Crod followed the all time leading rusher at UK, and was a suspension away from breaking the record himself.

Again, noone contests that a change had to be made for perception sake, but this revisionist history is insane.

I know full well UK fans hate to run the ball I just don't understand why. Running the ball will always win games no matter the current fad. We need balance of course but it can't just be air it out.
It wasn’t uK fans that did anything. Stoops knows he can’t play one side of the ball and ever make any strides. I just don’t think he has any feel for how to get there. They had no skill players because of what style of play had evolved into. They couldn’t buy a wr in recruiting. They weren’t getting wandale, and subsequently Dane key or barion brown the way it was. Had nothing to do with fans. I don’t care how we play if we win but again I’m smart enough to know one side of the ball is only going to go so far. I suspect that is true for everyone else on here. I assumed that ‘3 yards and a cloud…’ would be understood as a style of play reference and not a literal reference but I suppose I was wrong.

Last edited:
Which is ironic because gran threw the ball around quite a bit when he was at UC. But didn’t quite have a QB capable of throwing at that volume or effectiveness here. Plus he had Benny Snell so you gotta go with what you got. Gran was good at adapting. I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing what he could do with Vandagriff if it came to that.
Gran did a great job adapting to the talent here.
The issue was for whatever reason, he didn't or couldn't upgrade our QB and WR talent. A good part of OC job is to be able to recruit those skill players to the level you can win in the SEC. Whether that's them wanting to play in your system,or just having the connections!

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
He’s been loyal too. I’m sure there are a lot of programs who would be happy to have him but for whatever reason he seems happy to be part of this program in whatever capacity.

Saw somewhere where he cited the family feeling etc. it's a pretty incredible thing to see a guy if that caliber 1) voluntarily leave for the better of the program (although it was called termination to help him financially) and then 2) come back as a personal assistant. Someone of his acumen being an off field personal assistant is crazy

It wasn’t uK fans that did anything. Stoops knows he can’t play one side of the ball and ever make any strides. I just don’t think he has any feel for how to get there. They had no skill players because of what style of play had evolved into. They couldn’t buy a wr in recruiting. They weren’t getting wandale, and subsequently Dane key or barion brown the way it was. Had nothing to do with fans. I don’t care how we play if we win but again I’m smart enough to know one side of the ball is only going to go so far. I suspect that is true for everyone else on here. I assumed that ‘3 yards and a cloud…’ would be understood as a style of play reference and not a literal reference but I suppose I was wrong.

We won 10 games with Gran. Nevermind we couldn't get past 5 till be showed up then we were consistently winning 8 with rosters way less and almost always in seasons riddled with injuries.

Again we all agree we needed a change but his on field performance and results are drastically misremembered by some fans

Threw it almost exclusively at UK too when he first got there. Drew barker was on fire until he broke his back the first half of the first game.

For all the guys bitching about Gran, he always had a spread offense Terry's injury year. Then a modified spread for Sawyer smith and both of those looked good despite very limited talent at wr and qb

Bama lost to Texas and Michigan ... 2 pretty good teams.... Milroe was a year one starter and was brand spankin new in one of those losses..... Michigan's defense destroyed alot more than the Bama offense last year....
Bama scored 17 points on a terrible USF team. Just say you didn’t watch them last year and move on.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Bama scored 17 points on a terrible USF team. Just say you didn’t watch them last year and move on.

That's my concern. He didn't excel with a constant talent advantage (usually a large one). How will be look without that advantage? Or worse - at a disadvantage.

I'm a firm believer UK needs people that can illustrate they can perform at a talent disadvantage. We can have a top 25 class and still be next to last in the sec.

That's my concern. He didn't excel with a constant talent advantage (usually a large one). How will be look without that advantage? Or worse - at a disadvantage.

I'm a firm believer UK needs people that can illustrate they can perform at a talent disadvantage. We can have a top 25 class and still be next to last in the sec.

Look at his entire body of work. He put up great numbers at Notre Dame and Alabama whenever he had a QB with a pulse to work with. Go watch the 2022 game where his offense pounded Clemson 35-14. That is very much the style of play I want at UK. Rees has physical, tough offenses that dominate the LOS and just gut people with the run while also carving them up through the air. It is like Eddie Gran's offenses, except with a competent passing game!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT