ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s on KY short list of Stoops leaves?

Billy's ties to the state of Tennessee is very slim. His family is from there, he was born there but moved to Georgia before he was 2 and lived at the same place until he went to college. His dad was a very respected Georgia HS coach and Billy has tons of connections in north Georgia through him. Now his immediate family all live in Georgia, his youngest brother is a HS coach in their hometown and his brother nearest him is in his 2nd year as a head coach and has his team in the 2nd round of the state playoffs. If Billy is hired at a big program I suspect his younger brothers will be unofficially part of the deal, one may even be an on field coach, he is a very good HS coach who has coached several 5* the latest being Tank Bigsbys at AU as his OC before he got his first head coaching job. Of course I think Billy would be a great hire, but can't say I am not a little prejudice. Have know him for 40 years, extremely high intelligent guy.

This has nothing to do with me thinking Stoops goes or stays, just I have a high opinion of Billy Napier as a person and coach. He has turned down 3 SEC jobs for various reasons and a sticking point is he wants to bring in his staff. Now that may or may not include members of a current staff of a program. Another is he wants to bring in a large support staff, this was the reason for turning down the AU job, Carolina didn't want to hire the support staff, I don't think he wanted to move to Mississippi for the State job, they were ready to hire him when they hired the PSU OC.
welcome back!

Billy's ties to the state of Tennessee is very slim. His family is from there, he was born there but moved to Georgia before he was 2 and lived at the same place until he went to college. His dad was a very respected Georgia HS coach and Billy has tons of connections in north Georgia through him. Now his immediate family all live in Georgia, his youngest brother is a HS coach in their hometown and his brother nearest him is in his 2nd year as a head coach and has his team in the 2nd round of the state playoffs. If Billy is hired at a big program I suspect his younger brothers will be unofficially part of the deal, one may even be an on field coach, he is a very good HS coach who has coached several 5* the latest being Tank Bigsbys at AU as his OC before he got his first head coaching job. Of course I think Billy would be a great hire, but can't say I am not a little prejudice. Have know him for 40 years, extremely high intelligent guy.

This has nothing to do with me thinking Stoops goes or stays, just I have a high opinion of Billy Napier as a person and coach. He has turned down 3 SEC jobs for various reasons and a sticking point is he wants to bring in his staff. Now that may or may not include members of a current staff of a program. Another is he wants to bring in a large support staff, this was the reason for turning down the AU job, Carolina didn't want to hire the support staff, I don't think he wanted to move to Mississippi for the State job, they were ready to hire him when they hired the PSU
Very surprising to hear Napier could have had those 2 jobs. You don't usually see that when you can get a job in SEC.
I don't know much about him, but he sure does have a pedigree for success. You gotta think that the recruiting base would definitely change from the Stoops/Marrow model.

I also saw a report tonight that says Stoops is 3rd on the LSU ladder behind Jimbo (who would probably vouch for Stoops) and O'Brien, which would seem like a disaster hire IMO.

Leach - Can’t help but like the guy. Brilliant offensive mind
Herman - chance to build back his brand
Mullen - damn good coach maybe better suited to program not under the spotlight.

Mullen - damn good coach maybe better suited to program not under the spotlight.
Mitch will never hire Leach they didn’t get along at all while he was here

Very surprising to hear Napier could have had those 2 jobs. You don't usually see that when you can get a job in SEC.
I don't know much about him, but he sure does have a pedigree for success. You gotta think that the recruiting base would definitely change from the Stoops/Marrow model.

I also saw a report tonight that says Stoops is 3rd on the LSU ladder behind Jimbo (who would probably vouch for Stoops) and O'Brien, which would seem like a disaster hire IMO.

I don't know exactly how their list is playing out. I know their fans thought they had Riley for 3-4 days, Thought they had Jimbo at the beginning and some still think they do. You probably right about Jimbo vouching for Stoops, may have even recommended him. They have never been high on Napier because they want a P5 head coach. There was some talk earlier about Kiffin but that has faded. But the price you pay for success, schools come after your coaches and coaches come after you players.

On a different note I know many here like CVM better than Stoops because of his recruiting ability and if needed would like to see him promoted. Which he may deserve a chance, but rules won't allow him to be on the road to recruit like they do an assistant, not sure the amount, maybe half the amount of time and off campus visits too.

Like you I think OBrian would be disaster hire, really can't believe they are considering him,

Napier would be a very good interview, he is very smart, articulate guy. When presenting his vision for a program I can see it being very detailed. But he is a shy guy, that shows with the reporters, but he is extremely bright.

There is a site called Tigerdroppings, I know, that has some info about their search and is free to read, have to register to post but can just go to site and read.

Last edited:
Matt Campbell (Iowa St.) ~

(1) Solid Ohio background;
(2) Excellent national recruiter;
(3) Would leave the Big 12 for the SEC in a heartbeat; and
(4) Same price as Mark, same results.
He was the first name I thought of. SEC would be a move up from Big 12. Lexington is much nicer than Ames.

1 Fickell. I’d trade him SU for stoops right now. But it won’t happen. Makes sense geography wise but not much else. He’s waiting on OSU. I don’t see USC, that school is one of the most insular in the country and he has zero Cali ties.

2. Tom Herman. Was a super star at Houston, and he ran into (as we see even clearer now) the Texas idiotic buzzsaw. Can hardly blame him for trying to coach at the dumpster fire.

3. Matt Campbell. Just solid all around. Would want to make that jump to the SEC. Ohio ties. Safest pick.
I don’t really understand what is wrong with Texas. I can understand Sarkisian flopping given his history, but they’ve been crap for a decade under 4(?) different coaches?

I don’t really like Tom Herman and I wouldn’t want him here. There have been three relatively recent hot commodities to come from Houston, and they were all fired when they moved to a power conference. Herman was an obnoxious baby at Texas, and might be one of the more unsavory characters from the Urban Meyer coaching tree.

Reactions: THE_OAK
I have to admit. I’m shocked at the defense Leach has built at Miss St.

Reactions: TNTUK
If they promote Coen to HC I’ll be sure to bring my paper bag back to the games. Been a long time since I had to break it out. Billy Napier would have great potential here.

I’d avoid the UTSA guy that everyone loves, their previous coach built that program. He still could be good but is far riskier he hasn’t had enough time. He needs a couple more years to say one way or the other.

We are still UK and wouldn’t land an established name coach unless they had baggage.

If I was AD I’d break the wall down regarding Hugh Freeze. Deal with an off-season with a few bad articles and then reap the rewards after.

I have to admit. I’m shocked at the defense Leach has built at Miss St.
Leach had nothing to do with the defense when he was running the offense at UK.....which is good because we had no defense when he was running the offense at UK.

GBB!

Reactions: yoshukai
Uhhh... Luke Fickell? Get Pelini or Chizek back in the big game? I'm willing to bet the latter two could be convinced to keep the offensive staff... I'm not sure they'd appreciate being bound to the existing defensive staff, though perhaps they'd simply insist on specific changes. Fickell would clean house, I expect.
I’d be totally good with Fickell as HC. There’s a reason Chizik still has his gig on the SECN. Pelini is a competent coach but is sorely lacking in the personal charisma department needed to succeed as HC.

Others have suggested Marrow. Two reasons for a big NO on that one: 1) He would almost certainly follow Stoops wherever he goes; 2) He just doesn’t seem like HC material

Fickell is first call and it won’t hurt my feelings if Stoops leaves.
I like where we are with Stoops considering we invested in years of OJT to get here. My greatest fear is AD making another major hire for us. I would hope he could leverage our present position as a solid and rising SEC FB program and get an experienced HC. I don't want to hear "no one wants to come to Lexington"....we have great facilities, excellent fan base, and we're trending up. If we get that excuse, we'll need to be advertising for more than one job in our athletics department.

GBB!

Jimbo doesn't want the job...at best a lateral move from A&M. I can't believe they'll hire O'Brien, so there is a real possibility, even a probability, Stoops will get an offer. Will he take it? I have no idea.

If he leaves, I'd go with 1. Matt Campbell...2. Fickell...3. Napier.

Reactions: THE_OAK
Ok, one of you guys spilled the beans!! Who was it?

Matt Jones just called me wanting me to confirm my interest and if negotiations were ongoing. I told him that I would not disrespect my current position and that I cannot truthfully answer his questions
I'm buying firemaroon79.com as we speak.

I’d be totally good with Fickell as HC. There’s a reason Chizik still has his gig on the SECN. Pelini is a competent coach but is sorely lacking in the personal charisma department needed to succeed as HC.

Others have suggested Marrow. Two reasons for a big NO on that one: 1) He would almost certainly follow Stoops wherever he goes; 2) He just doesn’t seem like HC material
I like Pelini, warts and all, but upon reflection, he and Mitch... well... yeah. Is Chizik under show cause?

i hope we make a move similar to MSU and drop some serious cash to keep Stoops. He is our guy. Makes some mistakes and definitely has some areas for improvement but he has proven he can win here. Making a move like that really shows commitment on both sides and will go a long way in recruiting in the future

Jamey Chadwell - Coastal Carolina
Jeff Traylor - UTSA
Dave Doeren - NC State
Billy Napier - Loisiana
Bill Clark - UAB
Good, realistic list, though I doubt Doeren would have a real interest in a lateral move. I would include Sitake, and would at least consider Healy from Charlotte. Might also want to make Venables say no.

If they promote Coen to HC I’ll be sure to bring my paper bag back to the games. Been a long time since I had to break it out. Billy Napier would have great potential here.

I’d avoid the UTSA guy that everyone loves, their previous coach built that program. He still could be good but is far riskier he hasn’t had enough time. He needs a couple more years to say one way or the other.
The previous coach at UTSA was fired, and this program never had any success whatsoever prior to Traylor. Zero.

If Fickell turns LSU down, which apparently is what is going to happen, why in the world would he be considered a candidate to come here?

Reactions: Father Torque
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT