ADVERTISEMENT

Which tournament loss is worse than St. Peter's?

St. Peters was a glorified high school team. Period. A good church team might beat them. And they were not a final eight team when they beat us. UK helped make them a final eight team.
They were in fact, a final 8 team. They were, in fact, the most under seeded team in history. There is no debate of these points. Your post is nothing but exaggerated nonsense.

The loss to KSU was awful. That whole region opened up and was there for Kentucky to stroll to the Final 4
I forgot about that K-State loss, another yellow brick road to the final four wasted. Also playing in Nashville. Then follow that up with a final eight loss to a depleted Auburn Team the next year...Don't get me started,I was in a good mood lol.

See I disagree only because those losses hurt more to me because you got to know the team back then.

That Arizona game was the last for Epps, Prickett, Mercer, Anderson....of course I was a lot younger but it hurt like hell for them to go out like that.

This year, who did we lose that we loved? No one....doesn't make the Peters loss ok, but that is just my perspective.

Same could be said for me in '99....that loss to MSU in EE was brutal on me. Padgett, Evans, Turner...all cornerstones to title the year prior....brutal.

1997 was my breaking point. My father took off work and let me take off school when we lost. think I stayed home for 2 days. Growing up in Tennessee during the 90’s was brutal and we just didn’t want to deal with the hell that was coming from coworkers and friends. For some reason that game just did something that none after it have.

I never believed we’d lose that game. I was 12 so I guess I didn’t understand it was possible. In my mind UK was unbeatable to me at that time.

Now that he’s gone from Louisville I can say this, but I’ll always be a Pitino loyalist. I hated the Louisville shit and really didn’t understand it. It never made sense to me. It’s like my boy Griffey Jr going to the Reds. Just no. Bone crushing.

But even though it’s unforgivable Pitino / UL blew up so I can say Pitino will be known only for Kentucky from here on out.

I warmed up to Calipari after absolutely hating him as a student at UM. That came directly after his Umass days and I was a Pitino kid. I hated him. And now he’s reminding me why I never liked him in the first place.

I’d trade the next 5 with Calipari to have Pitino during that span without question

Reactions: Backer cutter
1997 was my breaking point. My father took off work and let me take off school when we lost. think I stayed home for 2 days. Growing up in Tennessee during the 90’s was brutal and we just didn’t want to deal with the hell that was coming from coworkers and friends. For some reason that game just did something that none after it have.

I never believed we’d lose that game. I was 12 so I guess I didn’t understand it was possible. In my mind UK was unbeatable to me at that time.

Now that he’s gone from Louisville I can say this, but I’ll always be a Pitino loyalist. I hated the Louisville shit and really didn’t understand it. It never made sense to me. It’s like my boy Griffey Jr going to the Reds. Just no. Bone crushing.

But even though it’s unforgivable Pitino / UL blew up so I can say Pitino will be known only for Kentucky from here on out.

I warmed up to Calipari after absolutely hating him as a student at UM. That came directly after his Umass days and I was a Pitino kid. I hated him. And now he’s reminding me why I never liked him in the first place.

I’d trade the next 5 with Calipari to have Pitino during that span without question
Right there with you on 97. I never thought we would lose it, even in OT. Totally ruined my vacation. I watched it in a motel room in Uvalde Texas, of all places.

Right there with you on 97. I never thought we would lose it, even in OT. Totally ruined my vacation. I watched it in a motel room in Uvalde Texas, of all places.
I got to enjoy the loss to UCONN a few years ago (one of the worst games by two championship teams I've ever witnessed) from a hotel in Haifa, Israel, during a work trip and a terrorist lockdown (Haifa is near the Lebanon border and there were escalating tensions). That was enjoyable on many fronts (sarcasm of course!).

Reactions: Backer cutter
I keep hearing from posters here that the St. Peter's loss wasn't the worst tournament loss we've ever had.

Apparently they were the most underseeded team in history, a real world beater.

So which loss is worse? Now's your chance to make your case.
I still feel like Wisc, both UConn, and 92 Duke are my worst losses. This is an embarrassing loss, but not near my worst

Texas Western was not an embarrassing loss. And if you are saying Rupp was racist, you are wrong again. Texas Westerns quickness and their center David Lattin were the difference in that game.
If Calipari would just play a zone that game, we would've won that Texas Western game. Another game he lost because he's stubborn.

I was a Pitino kid too. Basically my fandom started when he got to UK. Was 9 during probation and would fall asleep with channel on Star 64 in NKY so I would wake up and watch tape delay games...parents didn't have a clue.

He was basically UK basketball to me until I learned the history...coach from age 9-17. My parents weren't basketball fans so it wasn't something I was born into, rather I passed it to them now my mom especially is as into it as me.

Cal....always liked him. Liked him at UMass and remember him all the way back to early '90's. Would love to see him get his mojo back. Time is ending soon with him so hopefully there is something left in the tank.

So invested in UK basketball, just going to try and enjoy the next couple of years and hope for the best.

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08
In his defense he said “considered”. I don’t think he thinks that. But a lot of people did. And “Glory Road” didn’t help that narrative. Which is a shame because it’s an otherwise enjoyable movie.

Honest question though: Do you think Rupp underestimated Texas Western? Or did we just plain get beat straight up?
I think Texas Western just whipped Kentucky that night. They were a bad match-up for UK. Their combination of size and quickness was too much to overcome for a small team. Plus, they played good defense.

They were in fact, a final 8 team. They were, in fact, the most under seeded team in history. There is no debate of these points. Your post is nothing but exaggerated nonsense.
Describing St. Peters as a good team is the exaggerated nonsense.

I keep hearing from posters here that the St. Peter's loss wasn't the worst tournament loss we've ever had.

I still believe and feel that the 38-0 Wisconsin loss was the worse. It might not have been the bigger upset, but man that one still hurts. The thought of us winning that game and play for a National Championship and the coveted 40-0 still hurts. That game will never stop hurting because nobody will ever accomplish that, and we were so, so close.

None WORSE than St Peter's although MTSU loss is close, I was there that night, it was like somebody repeatedly kicks you in the stones for 40 minutes.

Show me where "you keep hearing from posters here that the St. Peter's loss wasn't the worst tournament loss we've ever had." I think you are just starting shit.

Describing St. Peters as a good team is the exaggerated nonsense.
They were, undisputably a final 8 team. They were in fact, the most under seeded team in NCAA tournament history.. This again is unassailable. Good, bad, is just subjective bullshit.

1997 AZ wasn't that bad. Think about the circumstances. We were missing two of our best players, were exhausted, and made the title game anyway, and took the team that had already beaten TWO OTHER #1 seeds to overtime. That team sent two players to the NBA. It was a painful loss but certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

EDIT: I realize you weren't making that argument. Just basically agreeing with you. That one hurt because we could have threepeated, realistically.
I’d obviously would have loved to have had 97 and we were one of the best teams but not the best. Kansas was head and shoulders above everyone that year and Arizona shocked the world by beating Kansas. So I’m fine with that. Sucks to get that far and then lose to an inferior team but we struggled against speedy guards all year which is why South Carolina swept us that season.

Also who was the second player you’re referring to missing due to injury? Anderson and who? Edwards was hurt but everyone else played, right?

None WORSE than St Peter's although MTSU loss is close, I was there that night, it was like somebody repeatedly kicks you in the stones for 40 minutes.

That’s how I felt about the KSU loss. We were the better team but couldnt buy a freaking bucket down the stretch.

Last 8 minutes of that game was Clang, testicle kick, Clang, another testicle kick, It’s just the worst way to lose.

Your dad couldn’t work and you couldn’t deal with school after a basketball game? Damn man.

I was in florida for spring training baseball. We watched that game in a hotel room as a team. Two of my teammates cried and we gave them hell for it. At least tubby was able to close the next year.

Your dad couldn’t work and you couldn’t deal with school after a basketball game? Damn man.

I was in florida for spring training baseball. We watched that game in a hotel room as a team. Two of my teammates cried and we gave them hell for it. At least tubby was able to close the next year.
Let me guess. You were in a dojo called Cobra Kai weren't ya. Super tough guy. LOL

I'd be interested in hearing who you think is the worst team UK has lost to in the tournament, if it's not St. Peter's. I'll give you a hint. It IS St. Peters. North Carolina did to them what we should have done to them. St. Peter's went 22-12 this year with losses to Siena (twice), Rider, St. Francis Brooklyn, Stony Brook, Canisius, and Iona (twice). Their final Kenpom rating (AFTER beating us, Purdue, and MSU) was 102 this year.

I challenge you to find me a worse team we have lost to in the NCAA tournament. Go ahead.
Well, I suppose it depends on how much respect St Peter's earned by its NCAA-T wins. Based on their performance, I would say both UAB (2006) and Kansas St (2018) were worse teams.

Truly, though, Stl Cat, it's splitting hairs. It's a terrible loss. It's indefensible.

quit moving the goalposts....there are tons of answers to the simple question....you are trying now to dissect a piece of rice
No, just trying to offer some objective criteria. Anyone can overreact to the hysteria of the moment, the way it would fit an agenda, or just saving face and say it must be St Peter's.

I'll agree it's the most embarrassing. I don't think I could agree it's the worst team nor the most significant loss.

Reactions: LowCountryCat
I have followed Kentucky for 60 years.The loss to Texas Western was areall crusher.That was a really good Kentucky team that just got beat by a better team. Two other games that really hurt was the West Virginia game..I was totally decimated after that game and the Georgetown game where the Cats were leading at the half I believe and then just totally did not show up in the second half shooting like 12 percent for the second half.

Reactions: CowboyGumBoots
I was the blonde one.
Found ya.

tumblr_p9f9to0G1o1xue4oto1_500.png

artworks-000525335253-gzhgob-t500x500.jpg

Reactions: CatPhight
Well, I suppose it depends on how much respect St Peter's earned by its NCAA-T wins. Based on their performance, I would say both UAB (2006) and Kansas St (2018) were worse teams.

Truly, though, Stl Cat, it's splitting hairs. It's a terrible loss. It's indefensible.
I'm going to assume you meant UAB in 2004. UAB in 2004 was the 46th rated team by Kenpom. Kansas State in 2018 was the 42nd rated team by Kenpom. Again, St. Peters, AFTER the NCAA tournament run finished the 102nd rated team by Kenpom. And since they beat us, K-State also made it to the Elite Eight. Same as St. Peters.

I agree it's indefensible and splitting hairs. That's for sure. But there is no objective measure that will tell you K-State or UAB were worse teams than St. Peter's. None.

Reactions: track42
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT