ADVERTISEMENT

Which tournament loss is worse than St. Peter's?

LowCountryCat

All-American
Apr 17, 2010
Orlando, FL
I keep hearing from posters here that the St. Peter's loss wasn't the worst tournament loss we've ever had.

Apparently they were the most underseeded team in history, a real world beater.

So which loss is worse? Now's your chance to make your case.

I do not think anyone on here is saying that the St. Peter's loss is not the worst loss in UK NCAA history. That would be a dumb argument.

There have obviously been far more important/devastating losses in terms of gut wrenchers (1992 Duke, 1997 Arizona in OT, 2015 Wisconsin to name a few), but as far as strictly the worst upset loss/unexpected, it is ST. Peters.

I do not think anyone on here is saying that the St. Peter's loss is not the worst loss in UK NCAA history. That would be a dumb argument.

There have obviously been far more important/devastating losses in terms of gut wrenchers (1992 Duke, 1997 Arizona in OT, 2015 Wisconsin to name a few), but as far as strictly the worst upset loss/unexpected, it is ST. Peters.
1997 AZ wasn't that bad. Think about the circumstances. We were missing two of our best players, were exhausted, and made the title game anyway, and took the team that had already beaten TWO OTHER #1 seeds to overtime. That team sent two players to the NBA. It was a painful loss but certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

EDIT: I realize you weren't making that argument. Just basically agreeing with you. That one hurt because we could have threepeated, realistically.

Reactions: StormCruzzer
As far as optics, I get Peacocks was a much worse loss on paper, but they ended up going a good run and just wasn’t a fluke.

However, the Wisconsin loss in 2015 hurt much worse and probably was more detrimental to the program than losing to the peacocks. The writing was on the wall at the end with this current team that we weren’t clicking at the right time so if the peacocks didn’t beat us Purdue or UNC probably would have in the tournament.

I keep hearing from posters here that the St. Peter's loss wasn't the worst tournament loss we've ever had.

Apparently they were the most underseeded team in history, a real world beater.

So which loss is worse? Now's your chance to make your case.
Texas western and UCLA when Wooden retired. The Arizona loss when D. Anderson was hurt. Those games were for Championships. St. Peter’s was just a loss.

As far as optics, I get Peacocks was a much worse loss on paper, but they ended up going a good run and just wasn’t a fluke.

However, the Wisconsin loss in 2015 hurt much worse and probably was more detrimental to the program than losing to the peacocks. The writing was on the wall at the end with this current team that we weren’t clicking at the right time so if the peacocks didn’t beat us Purdue or UNC probably would have in the tournament.
My analysis of the Wisky game is that we lost to ourselves. We couldn't get a shot off before the shot clock at the end of the game and Cal clearly crapped his pants. That's what hurt about that game. We didn't play even close to our potential. But I remember people here commenting even before that season started that Wisky would be a problem for us.

Texas Western by far.
A coach considered to be racist by most with a all white line up against a Haskins coached team with a all black lineup. No one gave Texas Western a chance, even though they were #3 going up against one of Rupps best teams.

2015 last 4 minutes definitely began the slide we are in now. The team just flat choked (with a little help from the officials with missed calls on Wisconsin and a bad foul call on UK that was key), but the 3 shot clock violations were definitely the driving force. If we hit a 3 pointer as the clock is winding down on just 1 of those 3 possessions, we probably hang on and then the missed shot clock violation on Wisconsin was not as detrimental obviously.

I agree on this past season...the team lost its mojo, and a lot of that was due to lingering injuries, but the other part was due to the Sharpe circus and you cannot convince me otherwise.

OP, on 1997, I agree that maybe making it there in the first place was awesome considering no DA, but the horrible officiating in the game and hitting the clutch 3s to get it to OT...OT was a bitter pill. I still blame Pitino for that 3 peat not happening as he could have played DA some in that game to help our foul troubled team out.

On the flip side, you don't have to post your displeasure every time you disagree with something...bro
I have posted 2 times in a week in the manor you are talking about. And probably have 10 posts this whole week. But go off champ

My analysis of the Wisky game is that we lost to ourselves. We couldn't get a shot off before the shot clock at the end of the game and Cal clearly crapped his pants. That's what hurt about that game. We didn't play even close to our potential. But I remember people here commenting even before that season started that Wisky would be a problem for us.

That loss hurt but it was a FF loss to a damn good team. Not “bad” at all. Just sucked.

Worst Tourney Losses?

In terms of optics it’s St Peters for sure.

But Cal has a couple of clunkers beside that too. Losing to IU that year was kinda bad (we just had a bad game) and that loss to KSU was pretty bad optics wise too.

Hall losing to MSU was a major clunker; and Tubby to UAB was pretty crappy (UAB was a solid team that year though).

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
I have posted 2 times in a week in the manor you are talking about. And probably have 10 posts this whole week. But go off champ
Manner- a way in which a thing is done or happens
Manor- a large country house with land

You do you...champ

OP, on 1997, I agree that maybe making it there in the first place was awesome considering no DA, but the horrible officiating in the game and hitting the clutch 3s to get it to OT...OT was a bitter pill. I still blame Pitino for that 3 peat not happening as he could have played DA some in that game to help our foul troubled team out.

Remember watching that. Just knew we were going to pull it out in OT. Whelp….

That loss sucked but I don’t hurt as bad because we had just won the title the previous year and we’re having an amazing run. But yeah the back to back would’ve been nice.

That’s was just really hard to do even back then. I don’t think we will see another b2b ncaa college bball title for a loooong time. I mean it’s been 19 years since Donovan did it.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
I wonder if Iowa is still talking about losing to an elite 8 club. Hated the loss but our team never got back to itself after the injuries. Is that an excuse or just the facts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT