ADVERTISEMENT

Whatever happened to Billy Gillispie?

Kampus Korner

All-American
Mar 23, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Six years ago today, John Calipari was introduced as UK's head coach, replacing Billy Gillispie who had been fired a couple of days earlier. Billy, of course, was a complete disaster and his disaster traits followed him to his next position at Texas Tech where he was forced to resign. Does anybody know what happened to him?

I am still amazed that Coach Cal was able to come in and rescue our program in such a short time, thereby curing in short order the carnage that BCG left in his wake at UK.

Where is Billy Clyde now and what is he doing?

That was a 2011 article and he did get back into coaching. He ended up at Texas Tech, and they got rid of him. TT brought in Tubby.

Originally posted by KA4Prez:

This article talks about how Billy wants back in coaching.
Thanks but this is a 2011 article written before he was hired and forced out at Texas Tech. I have not been able to find anything posted on the internet about him. Is he in the witness protection program?

That article is ancient. I read it years ago, and I just read it again. Pretty sad I'd say. Alcohol and all of the issues that go with drinking too much consumed BCG. He made a Hell of a mess in Lexington. He wasn't the one.

I linked the wrong article. There is another one I believe that is recent. Sorry at work, quick Google search.
This post was edited on 4/1 9:59 AM by KA4Prez

Originally posted by Ben101er:

That was a 2011 article and he did get back into coaching. He ended up at Texas Tech, and they got rid of him. TT brought in Tubby.
Talk about hiring all of UK's retreads.

Originally posted by JasonSpear:
He died. I thought everyone knew.

Or am I wrong? Could be wrong. I dunno.
Billy was the ultimate April Fool's joke. Coincidence that he gets brought up, today?

Taking into consideration the alcohol issue , I ALMOST felt sorry for the guy except for the fact that he's an adult and should have known better.

When U.K. hired him I was hoping that it all worked out , but we see how rotten it turned out ! Probably a waste of coaching talent !

Thank God for coach Cal !!!!

The last I heard he had got a job working for a plumbing company in El Paso.

2i11j4w.jpg

Originally posted by Ben101er:

........and they still stink, but he's a nice guy.

to add insult to injury, I think he lost most of his buyout money in a ponzi scheme initiated by a former coaching buddy.

I think I've mentioned this before, but the last I heard he was seen stumbling around drunk and interrupting a high school game in Hickory, Indiana while muttering incoherently about "watching out for the picket fence..."

bcg_zpsggrrvzo3.png

Was waiting for GonzoCat90 to post in this thread....here's his thoughts on the subject, although we all know it's just BS.

Originally posted by GonzoCat90:

Originally posted by barryn2000:
So, former coaches should not be discussed here?

Seems
a bit overboard...when it's really just the tender feeling of handful
of posters and not about former coaches that's the problem.
If there's something to be discussed, sure. That's what my initial
reply was about. I don't see what's left to discuss about Tubby Smith.
Is THIS the example that shows he was a poor recruiter? Was there
someone on the fence about that? Who are you trying to convince, what
are you trying to still convince them of that everyone doesn't already
know, and why does it matter when he's been gone since before anyone on
our current team graduated middle school?

I'm not sure how tender
anyone's feelings are about something so old. I was young, but even I
wanted Tubby gone before he actually left, and anyone who for whatever
reason felt he should stay or whatever has surely seen where our program
is now compared to his career trajectory since leaving.

Feel free to start threads with scientific evidence of gravity. I just don't see the point.

I have a friend in TX (Dallas) who is a big sports fan and horse racing fan. In fact, he claims to make money betting on the ponies. He told me that he sees BCG at the track there in TX all the time and that he has even talked basketball with him. He says he likes him and that he seems relaxed and happy. Who knows.

Parenthetically, I watched the UK/OSU Brandon Knight heroics game at his house and he laughs all the time about the way I was screaming at the screen during the game, he asked me"Are all you Kentucky guys like that during the games. It's like it's life or death". I told him"it's more important than that. " He still laughs about it and says I turned him into a Cat Fan (he went to TCU)

I was talking about BCG with someone yesterday. I remember KSR did a story about where his recruits ended up. It wasn't to run the kids down, but to show where things were headed. Does anyone remember how many ended up playing D1? I think it was only a couple, Ross Miller and Orton come to mind. It was staggering to think what would have happened had he stayed even 1 more year.

Originally posted by We-Todd-Did:
I was talking about BCG with someone yesterday. I remember KSR did a story about where his recruits ended up. It wasn't to run the kids down, but to show where things were headed. Does anyone remember how many ended up playing D1? I think it was only a couple, Ross Miller and Orton come to mind. It was staggering to think what would have happened had he stayed even 1 more year.
Dakotah Euton ended up at Akron, GJ Villarino ended up at Villanova I think before transferring out, KC Ross Miller went to LSU then transferred to Southern Miss or something then to Auburn. Dominique Ferguson ended up at Florida International playing for Isaiah Thomas. Matt Pilgrim went to OK State. Konnor Tucker went to Wake Forest I believe. Not sure about the 8th grader from Cali, Michael whatever. Think he ended up playing Division II ball. Of course, Patrick Patterson, Daniel Orton, Darius Miller, and Jon Hood stayed here to play for Coach Cal.

The Moral of this story is that Billy was recruiting us into obscurity and had he had another 3 or 4 years here, we'd be another IU.

Originally posted by StillBlue83:

36m36 minutes ago
According to @HoopDirt Billy Gillespie will be the new head coach of Ranger College (JC in Texas)
If true, he's all the way back to where he started. This is the little JC he attended after HS, just 40 miles from his hometown, Graford, TX.

Originally posted by Waterview Catfan:

Actually Billy Clyde's drinking problem contributed wholeheartedly to my drinking problem, go figure.
I know of a guy who could say the exact same thing you just posted.

ADVERTISEMENT