ADVERTISEMENT

What is your most hated, stupid sports sayings.

There was a popular announcer from back when I'd still watch games live who seemingly tried to invent annoying phrases. They were meant to be vivid and colorful, but weren't. They just seemed contrived. No names, but I hated it that he had gone to my boyhood favorite school.

I don't mean Bill Raftery. I like his old fashioned schtick. Nor do I mean Bill Walton. I can't remember ever listening to one of his calls. Just fragments here or there.

For clues as to his identity, his "colorful" phrases were plentiful. Apparently, he just enjoyed making them up.

I chuckle at the way folks now add these redundant extra "coach speak" type words to simple basketball concepts ....I guess to try to sound more technically knowedgeable.

An example: "score the ball" or "score the basketball." We used to just say "score" ...and it meant the same damn thing. Why did adding the unnecessary words "the ball" become the new way to say it? Was there some confusion about what object was being used?

Another example: "straight line drives." I now hear this all the time in situations where we used to just say "drives." There was no confusion about what was meant before, so why the need to add the words "straight line?"
I guess too many teams were running crooked lines to the basket wasting time.

Reactions: UK90
I guess too many teams were running crooked lines to the basket wasting time.
Yep, and apparently a lot of folks must've also thought these players were scoring pineapples until the announcers started clarifying that they're actually basketballs.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I agree about Bill Raftery.

In the past he said things like
Squeeze the pumpkin
They didn't leave any lingerie on the floor
And recently he said something about dandruff but we couldn't figure out what the whole sentence was

There was a popular announcer from back when I'd still watch games live who seemingly tried to invent annoying phrases. They were meant to be vivid and colorful, but weren't. They just seemed contrived. No names, but I hated it that he had gone to my boyhood favorite school.

I don't mean Bill Raftery. I like his old fashioned schtick. Nor do I mean Bill Walton. I can't remember ever listening to one of his calls. Just fragments here or there.

For clues as to his identity, his "colorful" phrases were plentiful. Apparently, he just enjoyed making them up.
Yogi Berra? Jimmy the Greek? Howard Cosell? Tom Brookshire? That's all I got.

• "Good loss"
  • "emotional win/victory"
  • "L1C4"
  • "Score the ball"
  • "Let's go!" or "LFG" (little league baseball games ruined this one for me)
  • "Swaggy Cal" and "Camp Cal"

While not a common phrase, any time our fanbase, probably older folks trying a little too hard, gives a player a cute nickname (e.g., Dillingham = Dilly) is lame, and I wince when I see it in print.

Agreed, runs the risk of misgendering someone or assuming pronouns. Who knows, someone's pronouns could be they/them or something else. I'm gonna write a letter to ESPN about this.
I was referring to it being used in either men's or women's sports, but I get your point.

Not a saying but kinda in the same vein. It's kind of comical but my 25 year old son hates when s player commits and obviouls foul or pass interference and taps his chest as if to say "that was me" or "my bad." It's become pretty funny wathing games with him when this happens.

“Three points the old fashion way“, on an and one. The three point shot is almost 40 years old.

People who refer to their favorite sports teams as ''my''

''my Cincinatti bengals''
''my pittsburgh steelers'' etc etc

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT