ADVERTISEMENT

Is Kentucky the most unlucky program in CBB / sports history?

Apr 2, 2024
Looking at the greatest franchises of all time, are we the unluckiest of them all across sports? Let’s look at what had to go wrong for UK not to be absolutely unreachable at the top of the CBB hierarchy.

1. Adult Rupp not winning past 1958. Seems that had you told people AR wouldn’t have won another title after 1958, you’d have been laughed right out of every milkshake shop in the era of the doo-wop.

2. Joe B ends with 1 title. Looking at some of those teams it’s almost unfathomable he wouldn’t have reached 2, if not 3. Seems like a very unlucky situation. Wooden’s retirement and 1984?

3. Pat Riley never coaches at UK. It’s this one that I feel we’ll never fully recover from. He was the guy. How many rings does UK have today had he coached from 1980 to 2020? This was the guy to finish was Rupp started and it never happens. It just seems like this was obvious that he’d be UK’s goat after Rupp. Everything was lined up.

4. Rick Pitino leaves UK. I think anyone with enough sense understands where we were headed in the 90’s and beyond with Pitino. And it’s not just that Pitino left, he came BACK, ends up in Kentucky again, but at UL and not UK?What the hell are the odds?

5. Calipari calls it a career after 1 title. This guy was looking like he’d easily have 2, 3, or more. What the hell?

All in all, are we the unluckiest program / franchise in history? Considering our dominance historically, how much more could it have EASILY been? Or when we consider how south it could have gone, say Pitino not even coming here, are we lucky it’s what it is? I don’t know, seems like a host of unlucky situations for one program to me. Thinking about how lucky a program like Uconn has been, it’s seems it’s hit us the opposite.

Not sure how we could have 8 NCAA titles and be thought of as the unluckiest program in CBB/sports history.

I think it’s because given all of that success, look how unlikely it is that we don’t have a lot more. That’s a lot of situations that seem highly unlikely to happen in the wrong direction.

That's how UNC and Kansas feel also. When you regularly put out great teams there's gonna be a lot of heartbreakers and "lost opportunities." Similar to Ohio St football. UCLA/Wooden and Bama/Saban are probably the only two elite regimes where it doesn't feel like they left a lot on the table.

Last edited:
Before cal we won the ncaa tournament half the times we made the final four. We had one of if not the longest winning seasons in history up until Sutton (in any sport?. Currently the winningest team of all time. Cal brought the bad luck of losing gimme titles up until then we were far from unlucky.

Last edited:
I think any blue blood could look at the what ifs and think they should’ve had more. We’re UK fans so we get hyper focused on just us, and we see our blemishes more than others. If you look at almost any meaningful category for college bball, UK is usually in the top 3-5. I like to look at the records, and UK will always show up near the top of them.

UConn is such a weird program, it really makes no sense to me.

I don't consider us unlucky. Every program has their own stories about "what might have been."

Duke, UNC, Kansas, IU can all what-if their way into five more championships apiece.

and that could be true. It just seems to me when I think about it, damn, we were close to being the damn Yankees. I’d have to look to see, but the only other program I think could have matched the way it looks to me is UNC. Duke is probably lucky to just have what they have really.

Before cal we won the ncaa tournament half the times we made the final four. We had one of if not the longest season in history up until Sutton. Currently the winningest team of all time. Cal brought the bad luck of losing gimme titles up until then we were far from unlucky.

Pitino 1 for 3.
Hall 1 for 3.
Cal 1 for 4.

Tubby was 1 for 1.

Idk anyone with a brain that thinks tubby is a better UK coach because he didn't make but 1 final four. He won the one he made it to and kudos.

Cal, pitino and hall could have done better for sure. Rupp was 4 and 2 n his 6.

and that could be true. It just seems to me when I think about it, damn, we were close to being the damn Yankees. I’d have to look to see, but the only other program I think could have matched the way it looks to me is UNC. Duke is probably lucky to just have what they have really.
I’ll add this. If the NCAAT wasn’t a single elimation style tournament, UK probably has a handful of additional titles. If you look at some of the E8 loss and up, you can’t tell me if we played a best 3,5, or 7 series that we don’t come out on top. A missed call (Wisc 15) a bad ref (f**k Higgins) can really impact a tournament game. Not making excuses, because we should have additional titles anyways, but shit happens with this style of tournament. Somehow UConn was given the magic elixir for it.

Before cal we won the ncaa tournament half the times we made the final four. We had one of if not the longest season in history up until Sutton. Currently the winningest team of all time. Cal brought the bad luck of losing gimme titles up until then we were far from unlucky.
Cal ‘s is not bad luck . It is intentionally playing the role of an NBA development league playing freshmen who don’t deserve to start year after year . He knew four years ago the game had changed and intentionally did nothing to adjust to the new rules . 1 freshman and 16 seniors start for the final four teams .

He intentionally never gave us chance to compete the last four years . THAT IS AN INFORMED CHOICE . HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BAD LUCK

HE DOES NOT HAVE UK ‘s INTERESTS AS A PRIORITY.

Cal ‘s is not bad luck . It is intentionally playing the role of an NBA development league playing freshmen who don’t deserve to start year after year . He knew four years ago the game had changed and intentionally did nothing to adjust to the new rules . 1 freshman and 16 seniors start for the final four teams .

He intentionally never gave us chance to compete the last four years . THAT IS AN INFORMED CHOICE . HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BAD LUCK

HE DOES NOT HAVE UK ‘s INTERESTS AS A PRIORITY.
Cal has made his own luck though with officials.

This is a serious topic, NO DOUBT that UK is cursed somehow, we should have as many titles has Alabama does in football. For real 14-17 titles. Think of all the guys that have done what that widow peaked geriatric on oakland have done to us AT RUPP. Thats happened for decades to us. Just something thats not normal about that.

Some of the injuries we have had over the years would certainly make one ask the question. More than a few have likely cost us titles.
That probably is our unluckiest aspect as a program. 97, 14, and 15 all jump out- probably more if I think on it.

Reactions: FirewithFire
75...Wooden retiresn
77....UNC 4 corners
80....Macy misses game winner vs Duke
83...Dirk (on drugs) blows final play
86....LSU four times?
92...Laettner
93...Mashburn fouls out
97...DA knee injury
03...Bogans I jury
10...WV shoots out of their minds
11...Higgins I
14...WCS injured, Randle hurt in final
15...Higgins II
17...Higgins III
19...PJ
20...COVID

Not sure how we could have 8 NCAA titles and be thought of as the unluckiest program in CBB/sports history.
I don’t know about that. Probably tunnel vision but I feel like we’ve had a lot of bad or unlucky breaks that have cost us at least 2-3 more titles.

Reactions: UKGrad24
75...Wooden retiresn
77....UNC 4 corners
86....LSU four times?
92...Laettner
93...Mashburn fouls out
97...DA knee injury
03...Bogans I jury
11...Higgins I
15...Higgins II
17...Higgins III
19...PJ
20...COVID
66 three guys with the flu

If we had a decent COACH in the time that Calipari's been here, with the great recruiting (and TERRIBLE team building), we wouldn't be talking about bad luck right now. Cal has been an absolute failure at UK.

There's so many but I also try to remember that a lot of stuff happened to even get the chances. Like 1997 bothers me because we were better than Arizona but I also know that Kansas had shown to be the best team all year and got upset by Zona. We won in 98 but UNC has Jamison and Vince Carter in 97/98 so they have "what if's"

But here's some

1954 ABSOLUTE BS, undefeated team denied the chance to compete for a title
"Frank Ramsey, Cliff Hagan and Lou Tsioropoulos were ruled ineligible because they had already graduated. That rule has since been abolished, but it prevented the Wildcats from competing for the national championship."

True story- the remaining players voted to play but Rupp overruled them and didn't want them to ruin his perfect season.

1970- Mike Casey car accident
1975- UCLA Wooden officiating (Again Indiana was the best team for two years and UK was the only loss in 75)
1986- Pissed away opportunity with playing LSU for the fourth time in the E8
1997- Anderson not playing
2017- Straight cheated

I do not agree with 03 as Bogans had zero to do with getting destroyed down low nor was anyone stopping Wade that game.

Although 2011 was a year that easily could've been a title, we were a four seed. Same for 2014, a chance for a title pissed away but we were an 8 seed. Those aren't the ones that hurt me as much.

75...Wooden retiresn
77....UNC 4 corners
86....LSU four times?
92...Laettner
93...Mashburn fouls out
97...DA knee injury
03...Bogans I jury
11...Higgins I
15...Higgins II
17...Higgins III
19...PJ
20...COVID
Who knows how 1992 would've played out. Indiana was the semi-final opponent and they lost by two to UK in December that season. Then in the final was the very team that would beat us the next year in the Final Four.

2020 isn't a what if for me at all. There were at least 5-7 better teams who I think had better arguments for the 'what if?" Plus the Hagans drama at the end would've made that season end in disappointment anyway.

Pitino 1 for 3.
Hall 1 for 3.
Cal 1 for 4.

Tubby was 1 for 1.

Idk anyone with a brain that thinks tubby is a better UK coach because he didn't make but 1 final four. He won the one he made it to and kudos.

Cal, pitino and hall could have done better for sure. Rupp was 4 and 2 n his 6.
And Coach K is 5 for 13 I believe. Izzo is 1 for 8. Winning a title is damn hard even when you get to the Final Four. "Gimme titles" don't exist.

75...Wooden retiresn
77....UNC 4 corners
86....LSU four times?
92...Laettner
93...Mashburn fouls out
97...DA knee injury
03...Bogans I jury
11...Higgins I
15...Higgins II
17...Higgins III
19...PJ
20...COVID
94 -Rodney Dent knee injury
95- Macarty gets a Tech because Riddick chokes Wallace

Reactions: FirewithFire
1966 is the one season I wish Kentucky had lost in the Final Four instead. That way Duke plays the part of the bad guy.
I don’t think it would have worked that way. The Duke coach (whose name escapes me) didn’t have a target on his back like the baron did. Loyola Chicago won it all with I think 4 blacks starting the year before TW and nothing was made of that, it all just worked out so Rupp’s critics got to hang this around his neck.

Who knows how 1992 would've played out. Indiana was the semi-final opponent and they lost by two to UK in December that season. Then in the final was the very team that would beat us the next year in the Final Four.

2020 isn't a what if for me at all. There were at least 5-7 better teams who I think had better arguments for the 'what if?" Plus the Hagans drama at the end would've made that season end in disappointment anyway.
Shhh you’re supposed to forget the hagans drama

Yeah , 2020 doesn’t belong on that list imo.

After Dent’s injury. Marquette had a big stiff named Todd McIlvain, and he ate Gimel Martinez and Walter McCarty alive in the paint.
I know but we were a 3 seed that lost in the second round. In that region alone was Grant Hill's Duke team who would go on to the national championship, and Glenn Robinson's Purdue squad as the one seed.

Although Kentucky did split with them, Arkansas was the best team that season and won it all. Super fun squad so 94 isn't a what if for me.

I don't know. 2011 would probably been a back to back for Duke minus a Kyrie Erving Turf Toe. That team was stacked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT