ADVERTISEMENT

What is your most hated, stupid sports sayings.

I went to the blue and white scrimmage earlier this year and realized how much I hate the announcer saying who scored after every bucket.

Guess I'm getting old

Reactions: gharding07
I chuckle at the way folks now add these redundant extra "coach speak" type words to simple basketball concepts ....I guess to try to sound more technically knowedgeable.

An example: "score the ball" or "score the basketball." We used to just say "score" ...and it meant the same damn thing. Why did adding the unnecessary words "the ball" become the new way to say it? Was there some confusion about what object was being used?

Another example: "straight line drives." I now hear this all the time in situations where we used to just say "drives." There was no confusion about what was meant before, so why the need to add the words "straight line?"

At the end of the day (not just in sports but life in general)

They just wanted it more

"Defending champion" - there's no such thing. This isn't gladiator arena fighting. Every year there is a new opportunity for everyone to win the championship. It is nearly never necessary to beat the previous year's champion. It's not like the "defending champion" gets a bye into the Final Game slot waiting for the tournament to produce its challenger for the title.

When a player gets hurt and the announcers say “Smith won’t play today. He is out with a knee or out with an ankle.” Of course he is. He has two of each. Just say Smith has a badly sprained ankle and won’t play. So pathetic to hear that.

Reactions: bigbluelou
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT