ADVERTISEMENT

What is your most hated, stupid sports sayings.

I don't remember who it is but there is a basketball announcer that turns the word "foul" into a two syllable word. Pronounced something like "fou-well"

Most of the stuff that comes out of Jimmy Dykes' mouth!
"No one believed in us", "everyone counted us out", "we have our doubters", "just wanted to be aggressive".... I do not watch/listen to postgame interviews because they're so bland

Not a saying but one that always makes me laugh is when a college player has just lost their last game in the tournament or in college football and the reporter will ask them “ are you sad” or “ what are your emotions right now”. Of course their sad

When I was at eastern and played Morehead we got a kick out of the cheerleaders cheering Morehead Morehead
If you played in the Dick Fick era that would've been bad. That was one crazy dude. Then tryin to pump Morehead up on one end and a sweaty Dick Fick laying on the ground on the other end looking like he need a halftime IV.

There are a lot of saying related to sports that are just stupid. Which one makes you cringe every time you hear it? For me it is "The hoop and the harm" for getting fouled while making the shot.
Shell the rock, diaper dandy or anything else that comes out of Dick Vitale's mouth. But the two statements he made for over 30 years that always made me want to "hug a comode and holler for Ralph" was (1) " Scott May was hurt and didn't play in the Ky win over Indiana in the March, 75 NCAA tournament game! and (2) Dean Smith has coached North Carolina for over 30 years without an NCAA violation; the Carolina way baby! Sorry Dickie, Scott May started for Indiana in the March 75 game and Dean Smith was reportedly the architect and implementer of the greatest academic scandal in the history of NCAA sports! So Dickie here is a saying for you: Male Bovine Feculum!

There are a lot of saying related to sports that are just stupid. Which one makes you cringe every time you hear it? For me it is "The hoop and the harm" for getting fouled while making the shot.
I hate it when someone is said to have “great handles”.

This isn't really a "saying" in the sense of annoying phrasing...it's just an annoying strategic comment ALWAYS brought up.

"They don't need a 3 here"

Always said by people like Bilas when they definitely DO need a three, or even multiple threes, to have any damn chance.

Editing to add another that drives me nuts from Bilas. Talking about what a horrible decision it is to foul someone and let them score "with no time coming off the clock."

Let's think about this for a second. If you had let them dunk it, that would've been the same 2 points...with no additional time coming off the clock. What the hell is the difference????

Reactions: bluebornwildcat
Using the word "Unbelievable" after just witnessing the play, or the player, etc. If someone witnesses something that actually happened, how can they call it "Unbelievable"?

They're getting chippy! That grates on me worse than Adele or a bad bro country song.

Sometimes if one team gets a quick lead over another, an announcer will say “Team is in control” or “Team is having their way!” On many occasions that team will end up losing when it’s all said and done. I remember a game back in the 90s where UK was up 11 and Tom Hammond used those phrases yet we ended up losing, so I always cringe if I hear them now.

When I was at eastern and played Morehead we got a kick out of the cheerleaders cheering Morehead Morehead
That reminded me of "Fly is open! Fly is open!" (for Fly Williams)

EDIT

I forgot the best part of the cheer. "Fly is open! Go Peay"

Last edited:
Using the word "Unbelievable" after just witnessing the play, or the player, etc. If someone witnesses something that actually happened, how can they call it "Unbelievable"?
Last game. the time that Sheppard dribbled it off his shin straight to Wagner. required many rewinds to confirm. As the old joke had it, "Important if true." Belief was strained.

--Using the "everyone is doubting us" or "nobody believes in us" or "our haters......" trying to manufacture motivation to play better.

--So and so, hotshot recruit...."he's a DOGG"....does that simply mean that he's a good player?

--In golf, when a player is hitting a tee shot, short par 4......"Rory on the tee, taking less than driver".....just say that he's hitting a 5 wood or 3 wood.

--So and so going to the sideline so he can get "a blow".......hahaha, and the announcers say it with a straight-laced voice.

--Right before a field goal in football, the announcer reads stats that the kicker has made 20 out of 20 attempts so far for the season.....kicker proceeds to miss the kick.

--Basketball player on the free throw line, announcer says that so and so has a perfect 12 out of 12 on the day.....player then misses the next FT attempt.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add one that I've seen a lot lately, especially with the Coach Prime culture. Referring to a really good player, a superstar when talking about the player...."Travis Hunter, he is Him"

Reactions: bluebornwildcat
If you played in the Dick Fick era that would've been bad. That was one crazy dude. Then tryin to pump Morehead up on one end and a sweaty Dick Fick laying on the ground on the other end looking like he need a halftime IV.
🤣🤣🤣

Most of what Vitale says, especially "He's a winner! He has a winner's mentality!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT