ADVERTISEMENT

What is your most hated, stupid sports sayings.

Three point land.
It's a three point attempt.
He needs to let the game come to him.
Are we picking out a puppy?
I just try to play within myself.
Uh, WTF?
They're running a horn set.
So, two guys setting high screens?
Top of the key...inside the key...around the key...
What kind of key? To my garage? To my heart? A Minor?
Haven't seen him.
He was here earlier, maybe he forgot his key?

And finally, the worst of all time...
On the bubble...the bubble bursts...bubble team...or, basically any use of the word "bubble" associated with college basketball.
IMO, Bubblicious gum has missed a golden opportunity for a marketing coup by not trademarking those terms.

Remember Clark’s “Squirtability” remark? That one (I think) goes back to the 98 team and their ability go on big and fast scoring runs.
I always thought it was "Spurtability". meaning ,"move with a sudden burst of speed".
Squirtability is only used at UL.

I chuckle at the way folks now add these redundant extra "coach speak" type words to simple basketball concepts ....I guess to try to sound more technically knowedgeable.

An example: "score the ball" or "score the basketball." We used to just say "score" ...and it meant the same damn thing. Why did adding the unnecessary words "the ball" become the new way to say it? Was there some confusion about what object was being used?

Another example: "straight line drives." I now hear this all the time in situations where we used to just say "drives." There was no confusion about what was meant before, so why the need to add the words "straight line?"

I HATE that. Noticed it first with Mark Schlereth (sp?). He always used to add "the football" to the end of everything.

Anything a football coach, analyst or reporter says. Somehow, with a few exceptions, they all end up sounding the same.

Anything related to the NCAA tourney that has any variation of the word "dance" in it. Makes me want to jam railroad spikes into my ears.

ETA: And this includes "Cinderella", "Big Dance", "They're going dancing", "Slipper", or whatever tf else you can think of like these. Kill me now!

1. Anything from the schtick of Chris Berman or Dick Vitale. 🤮
2. Heard mostly in football about the ball carrier giving 2nd 3rd effort. No!!! It’s the same play!! 😡
3. It was a good loss. 🙄
4. Squeeze the orange. 🙄
5. Euro step??!! WTH is that??!!

I have to say most of the worst ones have been covered here. I'll go with this take though, I will call out my favorite ones, all time...

Once, while watching a Joe Dean announced game, he said this when the player took the basketball and drove to the hoop :

" He took it to the hole and got good penetration!"

lol

my sister blushed and said " Wow! I didn't know basketball was so sensual!"

hahahahaha

Another of my favorite ones was hearing him say "string music" .. I know that one got called out as a bad one, but I always liked that one

“Gather step”

Or a few other phrases that have been made up over the last few years to make traveling legal.
Yeah the NBA has an entire younger demographic of fans that have no idea what a travel is. Go to any IG comment section and you have people trying to justify the most blatant travels or Carries. The NBA is an ENTERTAINMENT league first and foremost. They loosened rules and let things become very liberal interpretations to emphasize creativity and offense/scoring…..unfortunately it has became the barometer against other levels are measured and the influence is driving change elsewhere.

[of a player who just made an average play] Nobody does [some average play] better.

My grandmother used to listen to the games on the radio and she always laughed when an announcer said, "Moving from right to left on your radio dial."

Reactions: bigbluelou
Anything from dookie V, Dikes or Bias.

Really hate, "control their own destiny". No they don't. If it's destiny then it's not their control.

Someone said, ball don't lie! I love that!! Especially when said in the proper context.

The best one or my favorite one was Mike Pratts Treyville when a guy attempts/makes a 3.

Also like Bill Rafterys "With a little kiss" on a (Whitaker) Bank shot. Which reminds me I'm glad Ralph Hacker is not still around talking bout a Whitaker Bank Shot and $50 will go in the Cawood Ledford Memorial Fund 😂! They ought to gave Jules a lil bit of that money back for the Jules Camara Tire Guage and Restitution Fund. Got him a 50 piece everytime he "give it a lil kiss". .

Worst one this yr is Dogs. God I hate that shit already. Ever since DJ got in that fight last yr that's all we heard is about these dogs. He a dawg. We got some dawgs. Even Cal up on the radio saying that damn shit 😬. I wanted call and cuss him out but I didn't know Bob in Jamestowns number. But oh well at least DJ ain't a card.

Oh yeah and I hate straight "line drives" but I know after Cal said that about our fav player giving up all those straight line drives it's caught on around here.

Reactions: bluebornwildcat
I couldn't think of one off the top of my head, but I have sure enjoyed reading everyone's ideas and the comments about them had me laughing so hard I was crying.🤣💙🤣💙🤣 My dog even came over to make sure I was okay.😉 Thanks to everyone who posted for a most enjoyable read.

GO BIG BLUE💙💙💙

EDIT: I've read the posts after mine and they are still making me laugh🤣🤣🤣!! This has got to be one of the best threads...at least for laughs!! Thanks everyone!!!

GO BIG BLUE (again!!!)💙💙💙

Last edited:
“They’re just letting them play now…”
wtf does that even mean? refs not making them play by the rules?

also, anything out of jay bilas‘s mouth.

Top of the key...inside the key...around the key...
What kind of key? To my garage? To my heart? A Minor?
Haven't seen him.
He was here earlier, maybe he forgot his key?
I found your key.
Actually, keyhole...
Keyhole.jpg

I have two. Most of you are too young to be familiar with either of them.

No. 1: Ralph Hacker, who was Cawood Ledford's radio broadcast partner for many years (which was of course prior to March, 1992), used to refer to "the mid-stripe line." Every time he said it, I would say back to the radio, "Hell, Ralph ... it's either 'the mid-court stripe' or it's 'the mid-court line'." The phrase "mid-stripe line" is - as one or my law school professors used to say, "a non sequitur."

No. 2: Everybody in the world (but me) seemed to like Curt Gowdy, who was a TV sportscaster for national events on NBC and ABC back in the 1960's and 1970's. I recall vividly when Gowdy was calling a very important NFL game between the KC Chiefs and somebody (I forget the opponent) and the game went into a sudden-death playoff. Jan Stenerud was about to attempt a game-winning field goal. Now, the memory of man did not previously run to a time when such a situation wasn't called "sudden death" ... but Gowdy decided then and there to adopt the phrase "sudden victory." He used the phrase for the rest of that broadcast, and every time I ever saw him call a playoff in any sport after that. Every time he said "sudden victory" it was, for me, like fingernails screeching across a blackboard ... just completely obnoxious and irritating. But, of course - that's just me.

But notwithstanding Ralph's foolishness and Gowdy's obnoxiousness ...
GO 'CATS ! ! !

“It’s a game of inches”.

No shit, every game is a “game of inches”. Or feet or yards.

If you swing and miss it by an inch, you missed it.

If you put a ruler one inch all around the cup in golf, it measures the area where it won’t go in.

Twelve inches is a foot, and if you shoot a basketball and miss it by a foot it’s an airball.

As the Vikings found out last weekend, if you don’t advance the ball an inch past the first down marker, you turn the ball over on downs.

Just a dumb way of stating the basic rules of any sport and/or physics.

Reactions: bigbluelou
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT