ADVERTISEMENT

Losses to Teams NOT Projected in NCAA Tournament Currently

Believe it or not had Purdue won it would have been a Quad 1 win for then. This is the problem with the NET. The rankings are based off the rankings. Metrics are involved but when 14-11, and 13-12 are considered Quad 1 wins on the road in conference that's a huge flaw IMO. Lots of cheap Quad 1 wins in the Big East and Big 10 this year.
How is Ohio State a Quad 1 win? They had lost 8 out of 9? WTF. I was just looking at the NET rankings and Alabama is 2-6 vs. Quad 1 and are 5th lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3Bluefever325
Cal needs to continue to schedule just as he does.

Forget about the nerd numbers and the fake numbers, KenPomPom, and just play.

The seeds will take care of themselves. We will be seeded improperly but so will our opponents.

College basketball is a ruined product.

They want to dictate the games on paper so the talking heads like Bias, Lunardi, Dikes, JWill and dookie V have something to blabber on about.

But the talking heads don’t play the games.

We are going to end up where we are good enough to end up and none of the nerd numbers will have anything to do with it.

They want to talk about all these upsets now. They aren’t upsets. They were seeded wrong by the chart readers.

Cal needs to continue to schedule just as he does.

Forget about the nerd numbers and the fake numbers, KenPomPom, and just play.

The seeds will take care of themselves. We will be seeded improperly but so will our opponents.

College basketball is a ruined product.

They want to dictate the games on paper so the talking heads like Bias, Lunardi, Dikes, JWill and dookie V have something to blabber on about.

But the talking heads don’t play the games.

We are going to end up where we are good enough to end up and none of the nerd numbers will have anything to do with it.

They want to talk about all these upsets now. They aren’t upsets. They were seeded wrong by the chart readers.
Cal needs to schedule all cupcakes or try to get us moved to Division 3 so he can win at a high clip again.

How is Ohio State a Quad 1 win? They had lost 8 out of 9? WTF.
They are top 75 in NET. Other teams that people get Quad 1 wins for are:

Cheap Quad 1 wins

14-11 Villanova Big East
14-11 St Johns Big East
15-10 Utah Pac 12
13-12 Xavier Big East
15-10 Butler Big East
15-11 Iowa Big 10
14-11 VT ACC
13-11 UCF Big 12
16-9 Seton Hall Big East
14-12 Washington Pac 12
14-11 Ohio State Big 10
14-12 Maryland Big 10
17-9 Colorado Pac 12
17-9 Providence Big East
16-9 Wake Forest ACC
16-9 Cincinnati Big 12
17-9 Wisconsin Big 10
17-9 Michigan State Big 10

SEC cheapest Quad 1s are:
19-6 Ole Miss
21-5 USCjr
15-10 Texas A&M the one cheap one available.
17-8 Mississippi State
18-7 Florida
20-6 Auburn
19-6 Tennessee
18-7 Alabama

This is why Purdue and UCONN have so many Quad 1 wins. So many of them are cheap Quad 1 wins IMO. It's a very flawed system.

Last edited:
This. If we handled business and beat Florida and Texas A&M in the overtime games we'd be sitting pretty currently. You could swap one of those two with Kansas game were we lead by 14 in second half and by 6 at under 4 timeout. Win 2 of those 3 and we'd be in the drivers seat. Totally different expectations and outlook with very small changes in outcomes.
I’ve watched the replay of that Rob 3 against A&M like 100 times now, and I’m not exaggerating it was like an inch away from going in. And the Florida game I still have no clue how they lost. But I agree that’s two games are flipped and you are 20-5 and probably a 2 seed or a 3. But last night was a very positive sign, I hope they build on this

I’ve watched the replay of that Rob 3 against A&M like 100 times now, and I’m not exaggerating it was like an inch away from going in. And the Florida game I still have no clue how they lost. But I agree that’s two games are flipped and you are 20-5 and probably a 2 seed or a 3. But last night was a very positive sign, I hope they build on this
Both Quad 1 wins too. We'd be a lock 2 seed with that resume.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Yeah that 3 was down! And the Florida collapse was unacceptable. Cal cost us that one.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Yeah that 3 was down! And the Florida collapse was unacceptable. Cal cost us that one.
That and if dillingham just makes a ft. On his FTs I’ve noticed he doesn’t always hold his follow through and since he shoots a jump shot on his FTs it can cause them to go long which is what happened

Reactions: Fox2monk
With modern computing, it really wouldn't be hard to take a team's schedule, and come up with a rating based on every team they played. No more of this tiered shit where the 76th team is somehow a whole tier lower than the 75th.

Kentucky beat KP 7th Auburn on the road. So in a system where "Lowest total is better", give UK 7 points, and then give them say -10 because it was a road win. Neutral win is 0, say a home win is +10, So that Auburn game is -3 for them. Keep it tallied over the season. Id ALSO make a second metric, using the exact same formula, but doing it for where a team was ranked WHEN you played them, NOT just where the are now (Because some teams have injuries and such).. You could make that ranking worth a little less for the total, say 20%. All these numbers can be adjusted, but it shows a fairly simple way to make sure the 75th team isn't all the sudden substantially better than the 76th.

There HAS to be a better way to simply look at who Kentucky beat, and lost to, and where the games took place.. and compare that to what another team did. I feel like if we got a bunch of us together we could probably do this ourselves.

Reactions: Fox2monk
With modern computing, it really wouldn't be hard to take a team's schedule, and come up with a rating based on every team they played. No more of this tiered shit where the 76th team is somehow a whole tier lower than the 75th.

Kentucky beat KP 7th Auburn on the road. So in a system where "Lowest total is better", give UK 7 points, and then give them say -10 because it was a road win. Neutral win is 0, say a home win is +10, So that Auburn game is -3 for them. Keep it tallied over the season. Id ALSO make a second metric, using the exact same formula, but doing it for where a team was ranked WHEN you played them, NOT just where the are now (Because some teams have injuries and such).. You could make that ranking worth a little less for the total, say 20%. All these numbers can be adjusted, but it shows a fairly simple way to make sure the 75th team isn't all the sudden substantially better than the 76th.

There HAS to be a better way to simply look at who Kentucky beat, and lost to, and where the games took place.. and compare that to what another team did. I feel like if we got a bunch of us together we could probably do this ourselves.
I agree, it’s obviously flawed, you can look at the teams scattered thru out and see some real outliers and it’s like how are they here. Like Alabama, I see nothing in their numbers of why they are so high.

I agree, it’s obviously flawed, you can look at the teams scattered thru out and see some real outliers and it’s like how are they here. Like Alabama, I see nothing in their numbers of why they are so high.

I wonder how SOS plays into the rankings, if at all.. because I was looking at Auburn's OOC vs Ours.. They have a better Non-conference schedule, and for the life of me, I can not see why or how.

Kentucky's SOS is ranked far too low IMO. Something about the way the SOS is calculated is just off IMO.

They are top 75 in NET. Other teams that people get Quad 1 wins for are:

Cheap Quad 1 wins

14-11 Villanova Big East
14-11 St Johns Big East
15-10 Utah Pac 12
13-12 Xavier Big East
15-10 Butler Big East
15-11 Iowa Big 10
14-11 VT ACC
13-11 UCF Big 12
16-9 Seton Hall Big East
14-12 Washington Pac 12
14-11 Ohio State Big 10
14-12 Maryland Big 10
17-9 Colorado Pac 12
17-9 Providence Big East
16-9 Wake Forest ACC
16-9 Cincinnati Big 12
17-9 Wisconsin Big 10
17-9 Michigan State Big 10

SEC cheapest Quad 1s are:
19-6 Ole Miss
21-5 USCjr
15-10 Texas A&M the one cheap one available.
17-8 Mississippi State
18-7 Florida
20-6 Auburn
19-6 Tennessee
18-7 Alabama

This is why Purdue and UCONN have so many Quad 1 wins. So many of them are cheap Quad 1 wins IMO. It's a very flawed system.
I don’t have a huge issue with teams like that being in the top 75 of the metrics. That’s just a logical expression of something most people here would readily agree with when phrased a different way, namely that the mid-major and small conferences are mostly lacking in tough competition.

If I was going to nitpick the Quad system, it would be that the Quad 1 category might be a little too broad, especially for road games. I get the intent because winning road games against even above average competition isn’t easy a lot of nights, but there’s a pretty big difference between the top 10-15 and the teams ranked in the 60s and 70s even on the road. A little narrowing of the requirements might make it a more useful comparison in my opinion.

Believe it or not had Purdue won it would have been a Quad 1 win for then. This is the problem with the NET. The rankings are based off the rankings. Metrics are involved but when 14-11, and 13-12 are considered Quad 1 wins on the road in conference that's a huge flaw IMO. Lots of cheap Quad 1 wins in the Big East and Big 10 this year.

I agree it’s a flaw, but all it means is the Big Ten will be grossly overrated and underperform in the tournament like always. So it doesn’t really bother me.

Purdue- 3 (Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State)
Marquette- 2 (Seton Hall, Providence)
Duke- 3 (Georgia Tech, Pitt, Arkansas)
Kansas- 3 (UCF, Kansas State, West Virginia)
Arizona- 4 (Stanford, Oregon State, Wash St, soon to be FAU after they lost again today)
UNC- 3 (Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Villanova)
Wisconsin- 5 (Providence, Penn State, Michigan, Rutgers, Iowa)- and the committee SOMEHOW ranked them #16 yesterday?!?!?

I could keep going down the list.

KENTUCKY- ZERO. I repeat- ZERO losses to teams not currently projected to make the NCAA tournament. Including UNC Wilmington.

ZERO.

We should not have all of our losses. We know that. Florida/Gonzaga/Wilmington especially. But man, it really feels like we are graded on a slightly different curve by the computers and media than everyone else is.

Some of these teams have bad, and I mean BAD losses. We have some losses that are certainly not to our standard, and Cal has been appropriately roasted for that.

But we don't have any losses like what some of the teams I mentioned above have, and no one seems to give us credit for that part of it.

UNC for instance only has 4 wins against the current field, 3 losses against teams outside of the current field, PLUS we beat them, yet it's just a forgone conclusion that they are 2 or 3 seed lines higher.

Idk, just wanted to point out something that I think is a pretty significant stat.
This is spot on!!!

Cal needs to "hack" the scheduling.

The SEC, by nature, will provide 10-12 "quad 1" win opportunities every year. Heck, at least 6-8 of your road games will be Q1 alone, and then any home game against a good team (the SEC has had 4-6 in the top 30) all season is also a Q1.

Heck, Kentucky alone has at least three more left this year, before the SEC Tournament.

The problem is, besides Gonzaga at home, Kansas at neutral and North Carolina at neutral, UK didn't play any other Q1 games. That would be fine, but THEN, they only have TWO other Q2 games...Ole Miss and Mississippi State at home.

Why is UK playing so many Q3 and Q4 games in the non-conference?

Illinois State 180
Louisville 195 (you had to know they would suck)
Penn 219
Marshall 227
New Mexico State 272
Texas A&M Commerce 332
Stonehill 356

Need more games like St. Joe's (97), UNCW (107), Miami (76). Pile these games up, or even just top 150 or better, and your NET rating will look like Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee, all have 6+ losses, but a top 10 NET rating.

Purdue- 3 (Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State)
Marquette- 2 (Seton Hall, Providence)
Duke- 3 (Georgia Tech, Pitt, Arkansas)
Kansas- 3 (UCF, Kansas State, West Virginia)
Arizona- 4 (Stanford, Oregon State, Wash St, soon to be FAU after they lost again today)
UNC- 3 (Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Villanova)
Wisconsin- 5 (Providence, Penn State, Michigan, Rutgers, Iowa)- and the committee SOMEHOW ranked them #16 yesterday?!?!?

I could keep going down the list.

KENTUCKY- ZERO. I repeat- ZERO losses to teams not currently projected to make the NCAA tournament. Including UNC Wilmington.

ZERO.

We should not have all of our losses. We know that. Florida/Gonzaga/Wilmington especially. But man, it really feels like we are graded on a slightly different curve by the computers and media than everyone else is.

Some of these teams have bad, and I mean BAD losses. We have some losses that are certainly not to our standard, and Cal has been appropriately roasted for that.

But we don't have any losses like what some of the teams I mentioned above have, and no one seems to give us credit for that part of it.

UNC for instance only has 4 wins against the current field, 3 losses against teams outside of the current field, PLUS we beat them, yet it's just a forgone conclusion that they are 2 or 3 seed lines higher.

Idk, just wanted to point out something that I think is a pretty significant stat.

Who's projections?

The only reason they have this broken down into "Quads" is to make it easier for the comittee.

It's easier to say Team A is 5-1 in Q1 games than to say Team A played this ranked team and won by this amount and the game was on the road.

Problem is whenever you do this, you are removing important information. Not all Q1 wins are the same.

For all the flack about NET and yes I know it has issues, it at least properly weighs these things based on the system.

Once again, there is zero need for a committee.

Cal needs to "hack" the scheduling.

The SEC, by nature, will provide 10-12 "quad 1" win opportunities every year. Heck, at least 6-8 of your road games will be Q1 alone, and then any home game against a good team (the SEC has had 4-6 in the top 30) all season is also a Q1.

Heck, Kentucky alone has at least three more left this year, before the SEC Tournament.

The problem is, besides Gonzaga at home, Kansas at neutral and North Carolina at neutral, UK didn't play any other Q1 games. That would be fine, but THEN, they only have TWO other Q2 games...Ole Miss and Mississippi State at home.

Why is UK playing so many Q3 and Q4 games in the non-conference?

Illinois State 180
Louisville 195 (you had to know they would suck)
Penn 219
Marshall 227
New Mexico State 272
Texas A&M Commerce 332
Stonehill 356

Need more games like St. Joe's (97), UNCW (107), Miami (76). Pile these games up, or even just top 150 or better, and your NET rating will look like Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee, all have 6+ losses, but a top 10 NET rating.

No Alabama has a top 10 NET because beat a Texas AM by 25, Miss St by 32, LSU by 21, and South Carolina by 27.

Auburn has beaten Ole Miss by 23, Alabama by 17, USC by 40.

UT has beaten UK by 11, LSU by 20, Alabama by 20, Florida by 19.

It's not so much the schedule but what you do with it. You can schedule crappy teams u just need to beat them by more points for it to have an effect. There's teams that have good NETs but have bad schedules.

It has wayyyy more to do with showing an ability to just hammer a team. Auburn, UT and Bama have done that. UK up until Auburn really didnt

Reactions: Montana81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT