ADVERTISEMENT

What did Dontae do wrong?

• Thread starter anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
  • Start date
I'd have to watch the tape but it's likely a defensive issue. He did have a good look and bricked it badly near the end, so that could be it too. Maybe he should quit telling them the thing about "missing them all." Somehow, we need kids whose confidence is built up so they don't look so bad at the beginning of the season. Hey, "young team" is always a good bailout excuse.
He didn’t “brick” his 3 point attempt. It was long and drew back iron.

Am I the only one who watched Allen miss a wide open three at a critical moment, then come down on the other end, not block out, give up an offensive rebound and then commit a foul?

That was a horrendous stretch of basketball and one you simply can't have when you're trying to earn playing time. Cal gave him a chance -- at a critical time in the game. And Allen rewarded him with critical miscues.

If that’s the criteria for playing, then when is Askew out there at all? He’s done nothing for 3 games. How many wild shots did Boston and Clarke force, yet they play on. Who the hell was guarding Wilson? Because he sure as hell torched them in the 2nd half.

Im not one clamoring for Allen to get heavy minutes, don’t pull him for mistakes that you’re not pulling the others for.

He didn’t “brick” his 3 point attempt. It was long and drew back iron.
Matter of opinion, but he was open and missed. When you're a 40-some odd point scorer in high school, you are supposed to have a scorer's mentality and should bring plenty of confidence on a shot like that...he had a good chance and it didn't go down, and it was not close to going down.

Allen also did not get to where he was supposed to be on our last possession down three. Calipari was disgusted with him walking off the court. It’s hard to execute when the guy who is supposed to shoot the game tying shot is not where he is drawn up to be.

Reactions: CatTough
Allen also did not get to where he was supposed to be on our last possession down three. Calipari was disgusted with him walking off the court. It’s hard to execute when the guy who is supposed to shoot the game tying shot is not where he is drawn up to be.

once the ball went to mintz in the backcourt it never left his hands. He dribbled to his spot and took the shot. Would have to watch the play again to see what allen was doing and where he was supposed to go. Regardless mintz never once looked like he was looking to pass.

once the ball went to mintz in the backcourt it never left his hands. He dribbled to his spot and took the shot. Would have to watch the play again to see what allen was doing and where he was supposed to go. Regardless mintz never once looked like he was looking to pass.
That is what it looked like but Allen broke toward the offensive end when Sarr caught the inbounds pass. He was probably supposed to be set up at a spot but when he wasn’t there Mintz had no other thing to do but jack it up.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Am I the only one who watched Allen miss a wide open three at a critical moment, then come down on the other end, not block out, give up an offensive rebound and then commit a foul?

That was a horrendous stretch of basketball and one you simply can't have when you're trying to earn playing time. Cal gave him a chance -- at a critical time in the game. And Allen rewarded him with critical miscues.
Well let’s tar and feather Allen since he made the only mistake last night.

glad to know Ellen stayed up to watch the game . I mean cmon dude .. you calling out a guy that actually made a three ? Our guards were horrendous and you want to bitch about a 30-60 second stretch from Dontae ? Get out of here with that nonsense

I just can’t believe how quickly Devin Askew has become one of my all time least favorite players in a span of 2 games.

I understand if shots aren’t falling early in the season, but just do me a favor and at least look like you give a flying F if we win the game.

Reactions: natchezrule
You're not the only one. Allen got minutes tonight and I didn't see much. Granted, you didn't see much from anyone on that end, so I'll give him a pass.

But this endless clamoring for Allen based on nothing more than his HS stats and some videos they saw of him shooting is tiring.

You all realize everyone that plays here was a ridiculous HS player, right? And guess what? The ones who can't hit the broad side of a barn so far will walk into the gym right now and light it up. There's a difference in the guys that can score in HS or against a chair, and the guys that can score at the high D1 level.

I'm not saying Allen can't. I'm not sure any of us know enough to make an assessment or run around crying foul.
Like any of the rest of them were any better out there. And so far looks to me like outside of Sarr we don't have anyone who can score against D-1 level talent. Looks like an AAU game.

And yet Cal lets the other 5 star guys play through this kind of stuff and never says a word. Can’t have it both ways.

I'll give you that one. Now you give me this one: how is that any different than the 3 Clarke jacked up at a crucial time? The one that had zero chance of going in? That lead to a Kansas fast break the other way?

If that’s the criteria for playing, then when is Askew out there at all? He’s done nothing for 3 games. How many wild shots did Boston and Clarke force, yet they play on. Who the hell was guarding Wilson? Because he sure as hell torched them in the 2nd half.

Im not one clamoring for Allen to get heavy minutes, don’t pull him for mistakes that you’re not pulling the others for.
Exactly.

I'll give you that one. Now you give me this one: how is that any different than the 3 Clarke jacked up at a crucial time? The one that had zero chance of going in? That lead to a Kansas fast break the other way?

Not different at all. There were plenty of bad plays to spread around. I was replying to this thread, which is titled "What did Dontae do wrong?"

Do some people get a longer leash to play through mistakes? Absolutely. Happens on every team in every sport at every level.

Reactions: CatTough
glad to know Ellen stayed up to watch the game . I mean cmon dude .. you calling out a guy that actually made a three ? Our guards were horrendous and you want to bitch about a 30-60 second stretch from Dontae ? Get out of here with that nonsense

I didn't call anyone out. The title of the thread is "What did Dontae do wrong?" I answered the question. You clearly didn't want to hear the answer, which makes you like most people on the Internet these days -- simply looking for a silo of people who will tell you what you want to hear.

Reactions: CatTough and G-PIP
Well let’s tar and feather Allen since he made the only mistake last night.

Don't know how many times I have to say this. The title of the thread is "What did Dontae do wrong?" I answered the question. Whether he deserved to play through those mistakes is an entirely different question, but to act like he did nothing wrong is living in an alternative universe.

Reactions: UK90
Don't know how many times I have to say this. The title of the thread is "What did Dontae do wrong?" I answered the question. Whether he deserved to play through those mistakes is an entirely different question, but to act like he did nothing wrong is living in an alternative universe.

dude Dontae hadn’t gotten much clock in any of the games . What you said could have happened but that wasn’t in the first half . Or even 1/2 way thru the second . Thats not why he wasnt given PT .. we had already squandered away a chance to rout their ass at the ppoint you are talking .
we could fill up paragraph after paragraph about stupid ridiculous plays from clark andboston and askew . But with Cal , some get leash , others don’t

dude Dontae hadn’t gotten much clock in any of the games . What you said could have happened but that wasn’t in the first half . Or even 1/2 way thru the second . Thats not why he wasnt given PT .. we had already squandered away a chance to rout their ass at the ppoint you are talking .
we could fill up paragraph after paragraph about stupid ridiculous plays from clark andboston and askew . But with Cal , some get leash , others don’t

Clarke and Boston have been awful. I've said that in other threads. The fact that they are not playing to their ranking is the reason our offense is struggling.

But pretending that Allen did nothing to get pulled from the game is just ignoring reality. Pretending something didn't happen in order to fit one's agenda solves nothing.

If the question is why doesn't Allen get the chance to play through his mistakes like others do, that's an entirely different discussion. And the answer is easy, as I've said. In any sport at any level and with any coach, there are always players who get a longer leash than others. But if you look at SGA or Herro or even Quickley, there is an opportunity for guys who weren't ranked as high as some others to take a leading role if they show the ability to do so.

Reactions: UK90
Not different at all. There were plenty of bad plays to spread around. I was replying to this thread, which is titled "What did Dontae do wrong?"

Do some people get a longer leash to play through mistakes? Absolutely. Happens on every team in every sport at every level.
I don't think the opportunities are equal for each player under Cal. You're right in that each coach has favorites. My problem is his criteria for playing time changes with the player. If defense is why you're yanking players then don't let another player get 35 minutes a game playing the same defense.

Last edited:
Idk but Cal is pissing me off with that shit. Clarke is no better than DA at this moment in time. Prove me wrong.
Probably so, but the offensive player reads the defense and has to react. Very seldom does a play work to perfection where the offense gets the ball exactly where they want.
For me that particular play was just a chance to right some wrongs. Throughout the game UK was careless with the ball and didn't value possessions. It's easy to blame it on the final play but what put us in that situation is more important.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
and he had just come in off the bench and had maybe two trips up and down the court. Guys like DA have a leash an inch long while guys like Boston and Clarke don’t even have a leash. They can F*ck up all game long and still keep their PT.
Boston and Clarke are 5 stars. Coach can't set a 5 star, because if he did, next year's 5 stars that can't shoot a lick would not come hear. if he sets Allen it doesn't matter, he is not a 5 star anyway, even if he did average 42 a game in high school. There was a 6'6'' point guard in the state last year that can play, but he didn't have 5 stars by his name and isn't a one and Cal couldn't get him to the league fast enough so he didn't recruit him. So what did he do , he packed up and went to Auburn. From what I have seen from both players, Azkew can't even carry Powell's jock strap.

Don't forget the Humphries-Skal debacle..

Mulder is another good example. He couldn’t get off the bench & when he did get in he was immediately jerked after a missed shot or defensive mistake. He never got a chance to get in the flow of games or play thru mistakes & nerves. Yet, after leaving UK he works his way into the G-League & eventually was called up to GS last season & averaged 11 points/game in the NBA.

Idc that GS’s roster was depleted, giving him minutes that wouldn’t be there under normal circumstances. My point is that he was good enough to average 11 points against NBA defenders but wasn’t good enough to get 15-20 minutes a game at UK. Either Cal chose not to play him in order to play favorites or he couldn’t develop him & Mulder excelled with proper coaching in the G-League. Both scenarios are troubling.

Matter of opinion, but he was open and missed. When you're a 40-some odd point scorer in high school, you are supposed to have a scorer's mentality and should bring plenty of confidence on a shot like that...he had a good chance and it didn't go down, and it was not close to going down.
He got our first 3 pointer of the night, coming in off the bench cold. Kid can score but not from where he is sitting!

Allen is slow laterally and can't defend but I agree-he should get minutes as he's a guy who can not only make shots-but he is a threat that has to be accounted for. The last play where Cal was upset with him-he didn't sprint as they wanted Mintz to throw him the ball and he never got down court fast enough to get in position for that to happen. Needless to say.....watching this team-several guys don't run/sprint the floor so he's far from only offender but play was drawn up where he could've gotten a look if he ran.

One thing to keep in mind is timing. This thread started before your sequence occurred.

Reactions: anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT