ADVERTISEMENT

UK's current staff is full of recruiters, not coaches

RunninRichie

All-American
Sep 5, 2019
I thought the new staff would do something. They're clueless on the bench. Only Ulis is coaching. Welsh has been a solid hire, no comment there. Bruiser sits there and will occasionally yell at a ref. Coach O sits there like a nail. And yells at players. Chin Coleman just screams and hollers, gets into arguments with Cal. Great recruiters. But as far as on-court coaching goes? Busts. Except for Welsh and Ulis. Don't even know what Chuck Martin does. Just another friend Calipari brought in to get paid. Or to get that one ''dawg'' recruit. Who will like clockwork, let everybody down, suck ass, and bail for the 2nd round.

Last edited:
I thought the new staff would do something. They're clueless on the bench. Only Ulis is coaching. Welsh has been a solid hire, no comment there. Bruiser sits there and will occasionally yell at a ref. Coach O sits there like a nail. And yells at players. Chin Coleman just screams and hollers, gets into arguments with Cal. Great recruiters. But as far as on-court coaching goes? Busts. Except for Welch and Ulis. Don't even know what Chuck Martin does. Just another friend Calipari brought in to get paid. Or to get that one ''dawg'' recruit. Who will like clockwork, let everybody down, suck ass, and bail for the 2nd round.
I thought O was great before he left, or maybe he was just a great recruiter? I don't remember.

I thought the new staff would do something. They're clueless on the bench. Only Ulis is coaching. Welsh has been a solid hire, no comment there. Bruiser sits there and will occasionally yell at a ref. Coach O sits there like a nail. And yells at players. Chin Coleman just screams and hollers, gets into arguments with Cal. Great recruiters. But as far as on-court coaching goes? Busts. Except for Welch and Ulis. Don't even know what Chuck Martin does. Just another friend Calipari brought in to get paid. Or to get that one ''dawg'' recruit. Who will like clockwork, let everybody down, suck ass, and bail for the 2nd round.
And it shows I see all kinds of fundamental mistakes every game yet no one seems to address them and fix them.

Maybe chin is arguing with cal because he is trying to give him ideas on adjustments and cal won’t listen, or listens but doesn’t agree.
Could be same for any of the coaches.
We have all seen cal snap at assistants. Unfortunately it falls in line with how tense he looks in games and it carries over to his communication. I always see other games/teams and when a timeout is called you will see multiple coaches huddle or talk about what is going on and then head coach sits with team.
That is not what I see on the uk bench. I know I don’t see it all and so I could be wrong. But that is not the dynamic I see on our bench.

Our practice doesn’t need to contain any offense and only work only defense and rebounds.

I know not many will agree with me, but a lot of times our players will play timid because of the inconsistency with officiating.

As shown against A&M, our guys can’t even legally box someone out without a foul call. Not to mention the other tic tac foul calls.

Our practice doesn’t need to contain any offense and only work only defense and rebounds.

I know not many will agree with me, but a lot of times our players will play timid because of the inconsistency with officiating.

As shown against A&M, our guys can’t even legally box someone out without a foul call. Not to mention the other tic tac foul calls.
Definitely agree. Radford is a p(vagina), plain and simple. He ain’t no gangsta, he’s an actor.

But still, Coach Cal and staff are ass.

Definitely agree. Radford is a p(vagina), plain and simple. He ain’t no gangsta, he’s an actor.

Cal definitely isn’t bad at teaching defense, as seen in years past. I think it’s a combination of our guys not being very good defenders in the first place and then have to play timid because of officiating.

Cal definitely isn’t bad at teaching defense, as seen in years past. I think it’s a combination of our guys not being very good defenders in the first place and then have to play timid because of officiating.
Our defense has been awful since 2019.

• Love
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Our defense has been awful since 2019.

Due to Boston, Askew, Clarke being not as good as advertised. Then Oscar was terrible at guarding pick and rolls so that’s how teams attacked us the past 2 years. Then we have this team. Insane offensive team but just not good defenders and a lot of it has to due to fear of breathing on opposing players too hard.

Reactions: RunninRichie
To me it looks like Coleman is trying to coach, he’s telling the players stuff or instructing them on the floor. It seems like Cal just yells. Welsh has helped the offense from what I’ve heard. But Cal doesn’t want his assistants giving much input it appears.

CCC was masked by his coaching staff in the first half of his tenure at UK.

Rod Strickland - Asst. Coach who coached PG play.

Coach O = Asst. Coach who was a dang good recruiter

Kenny Payne = Helped progress Big Men

The most important = John Robick = Scout, X &' O's, made gameplans ect.

--

I think Coach Welch and Tyler Ulis are probably the best coaches. Tyler's IQ of the game is extremely high. Welch has a compelling offense if CCC allows it by playing the right players together.

I think Coach O is the best recruiter / Assists Coach Cal.

Not sure what Bruiser Flint or Chuck Martin does. It does seem like Coleman is very passionate on the side line and tries to coach.

I thought the new staff would do something. They're clueless on the bench. Only Ulis is coaching. Welsh has been a solid hire, no comment there. Bruiser sits there and will occasionally yell at a ref. Coach O sits there like a nail. And yells at players. Chin Coleman just screams and hollers, gets into arguments with Cal. Great recruiters. But as far as on-court coaching goes? Busts. Except for Welsh and Ulis. Don't even know what Chuck Martin does. Just another friend Calipari brought in to get paid. Or to get that one ''dawg'' recruit. Who will like clockwork, let everybody down, suck ass, and bail for the 2nd round.
So you think ulis is doing a better job at coaching than men who have coached their entire lives?

Due to Boston, Askew, Clarke being not as good as advertised. Then Oscar was terrible at guarding pick and rolls so that’s how teams attacked us the past 2 years. Then we have this team. Insane offensive team but just not good defenders and a lot of it has to due to fear of breathing on opposing players too hard.
The 2020 team was pretty good defensively. Maxey and IQ were just ballers that went all out

Obaseki and Radford are as good as it gets getting to the rim. When Am switched to obaseki at pg it made them what they should have been from the start.
The sec is the best I've ever seen it. We have 7 teams that could make it to sweet 16 or elite 8. Florida is as dangerous as any team in the country right now.

And it shows I see all kinds of fundamental mistakes every game yet no one seems to address them and fix them.
Not trying to defend the coaches, but at this point in the season how much of the basic fundamental issues are on the coaches? High school basketball coaches can coach fundamentals, it’s not rocket science.

I dont know how many ways you can teach a a guy not to ball watch or how to box out or to play defense with effort. At some point the players have to be able to learn.

Not trying to defend the coaches, but at this point in the season how much of the basic fundamental issues are on the coaches? High school basketball coaches can coach fundamentals, it’s not rocket science.

I dont know how many ways you can teach a a guy not to ball watch or how to box out or to play defense with effort. At some point the players have to be able to learn.
Not all high school coaches work on fundamentals, some have their job for other reasons than actually being able to coach. But you would think UK would work on the basics, I know I have been to other D-1 practices over the years and the 4 schools I witnessed still worked on the basics for part of practice, some of this stuff has to be drilled to make it stick.

We don't box out, keep 2 hands up on defense, rebound with 2 hands, still can't keep our man in front of us. Still ball watching.
You can add, I have not seen one player take the baseline away on defense, we give up baseline drives all night long. It is like we don't work on any thing. Our man to man has no help at all, the other guys just watch as their buddy gets beat by the ball handler.

Chin is solid as is the new guy on offense.

Antiqua is the recruit whisperer he's not really much on coaching , and Bruiser does nothing no idea his job.. Best assistant is Chin but Cal doesn't listen. He listens for a while then must must feed his ego a show himself right

Maybe chin is arguing with cal because he is trying to give him ideas on adjustments and cal won’t listen, or listens but doesn’t agree.
Could be same for any of the coaches.
We have all seen cal snap at assistants. Unfortunately it falls in line with how tense he looks in games and it carries over to his communication. I always see other games/teams and when a timeout is called you will see multiple coaches huddle or talk about what is going on and then head coach sits with team.
That is not what I see on the uk bench. I know I don’t see it all and so I could be wrong. But that is not the dynamic I see on our bench.
Cal listens to no one. Have you ever seen Cal huddle on the bench with his assts. to get their ideas? No you haven't. Cal is a narcissist and always believe's he is the smartest guy in the room.

Some of the same fundamental mistakes that we saw early in the season which is to be expected to a degree we’re still seeing at the end of the season. That’s either poor coaching or players unwilling to adapt.

Speaking of which, Lets discuss Cal's " coaching tree " Has anyone that coached under Cal for any amount of time, ever go on to success as a head coach? Kenny Payne- disaster, Antigua- disaster, Strickland -personal issues, etc.

The refs haven’t sucked every game but the defense for the most part has recent few games. This has nothing to do with the refs. You can see the fundamentals are missing.

If I were a basketball coach, I would start with fundamentals. I would want to make sure that we were all on the same page and doing the same thing the same way. Sometimes super talented players are very weak at fundamentals because they could excel on talent and athleticism alone. I'm just a Benny, I don't know how the big boys do it.

We have a HOF coach and uber talented players, why can't we play defense?

If I were a basketball coach, I would start with fundamentals. I would want to make sure that we were all on the same page and doing the same thing the same way. Sometimes super talented players are very weak at fundamentals because they could excel on talent and athleticism alone. I'm just a Benny, I don't know how the big boys do it.
The big boys just roll the balls out……

Whatever they worked on, it wasn't enough to save the season. You can't mail it in at this level when other teams have hungry players and coaches who just want it more than our guys do. Cal's attitude and malaise aren't likely to change future results either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT