ADVERTISEMENT

What did Dontae do wrong?

• Thread starter anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
  • Start date
I think if he’s on the floor with other talented guys like Sarr, Jackson, Boston etc. he would open the floor and even get those guys easier looks. He just needs to be more comfortable as well. Can’t expect Allen to go in and hit a shot but only playing about two minutes per game
Exactly! I honestly think it would work better if we designed some catch and shoot opportunities for him when he comes in to the game. Try to get him open in the corners or the top of the key. That would really open up the offense.

Am I the only one who watched Allen miss a wide open three at a critical moment, then come down on the other end, not block out, give up an offensive rebound and then commit a foul?

That was a horrendous stretch of basketball and one you simply can't have when you're trying to earn playing time. Cal gave him a chance -- at a critical time in the game. And Allen rewarded him with critical miscues.

To be fair though, you pretty much just described the whole team.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Look what Wiltjer did after leaving UK for Gonzaga. Kid couldn’t guard a tree but what a scorer he became for the Zags. CALs treatment of his shooters almost makes you think he wants to try and prove he can .win without them.
When Wiltjer left and went to Gonzaga coach few did not stick him out on the wing trying to guard 6'4'' players that were lightening quick like Coach Cal did here. Few put him defending players in the lane, and Wiltjer did ok. Few played him to his strengths. Cal put him out trying to guard wing players and exposed all his weakenesses. If Cal would have played Wiltjer the right way he would have been just fine here. Oh I forgot Wiltjer wasn't a big time nba material so cal didn't really want him here.

Cal has to make sure Boston, Clarke and Askew are one and done. I’m sure that’s what he told Skyy Clark and what he’s telling Sallis. That all those guys are gonna be gone so they can come in and play 30 minutes a game and get all the shots they need to do the same.

I actually like askew as a player. But as a 2/3/4 year kid. He’s not a one and done and shouldn’t be playing over mintz. But hey, mintz is gone either way. And I’m sure he’s banking on the fact Allen will likely stick around through more bullshit than most because he’s a Kentucky kid and this actually is his dream school.

Reactions: UK90
When I seen him on the floor that last possession down 3, I could've sworn we were going to go to him. Instead Mintz went with it.

Honestly the NBA is Changed and the dribble drive, iso ball isn’t working at any level. It’s 3 and D. Drive and kick. Paired with a star or 2. See Milwaukee Yanis is amazing... can’t win big because he can’t shoot. AD is a three point weapon and defensive monster so the lakers won. Lebrob got mvp but AD win that ship for LA with his outside shooting.

if Cal wants to help these players get to and stay in the league they need to be able to make 3s or set someone up who can and defend.

our offense is broken at the college level and honestly sets some of these kids up to fail at the next ifwe don’t teach them the way to play the game in today’s basketball.

Which would also help our W-l totals. 1 on 5 is ugly to watch and we will lose against anyone that can make even 30% on 3s.

Allen is the prototype 3 and D guy but he’s not going to sell Cals draft day agenda I guess. But Clarke and Boston won’t be long in the league the way they play. One contract and done from what we’ve seen. And neither are Lottery worthy.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Allen is slow laterally and can't defend but I agree-he should get minutes as he's a guy who can not only make shots-but he is a threat that has to be accounted for. The last play where Cal was upset with him-he didn't sprint as they wanted Mintz to throw him the ball and he never got down court fast enough to get in position for that to happen. Needless to say.....watching this team-several guys don't run/sprint the floor so he's far from only offender but play was drawn up where he could've gotten a look if he ran.
Is Allen really so slow laterally and unable to defend as to be a big liability on defense? If so, is it due to his knee injury or was he always so drastically limited?

I always assumed Allen would eventually be fine defensively by using his great wingspan, pretty decent athleticism, and basketball IQ. Most players are going to look uncertain and hesitant on both ends of the floor until they get comfortable (which I understand sometimes may even take a whole season). But, are you saying you think Allen's athleticism (or something else) is so bad he can't ever become a decent defender?

Cals primary excuse with all of the shooters not playing is defense. Allen did not play bad defense last night. There were 2-3 playing big minutes that we’re doing very little right on either side of the ball. Allen was not a defensive liability last night.
Please let me know who did play good defense, except maybe Jackson- sorry excuse, IMO for Cal not to play Allen more

Mulder is another good example. He couldn’t get off the bench & when he did get in he was immediately jerked after a missed shot or defensive mistake. He never got a chance to get in the flow of games or play thru mistakes & nerves. Yet, after leaving UK he works his way into the G-League & eventually was called up to GS last season & averaged 11 points/game in the NBA.

Idc that GS’s roster was depleted, giving him minutes that wouldn’t be there under normal circumstances. My point is that he was good enough to average 11 points against NBA defenders but wasn’t good enough to get 15-20 minutes a game at UK. Either Cal chose not to play him in order to play favorites or he couldn’t develop him & Mulder excelled with proper coaching in the G-League. Both scenarios are troubling.
JHS, that sounds like maybe a false dichotomy. Isn't it also possible that other players in front of Mulder had a better "+ and -" effect and gave the team a better chance to win. Did it have to be some nefarious reason (e.g., Calipari didn't like him, was playing favorites, or wanted to make sure he got someone else to the NBA) or because Calipari just couldn't coach well enough to develop him faster? How much development time and work on his game did he undergo before getting his chance in the NBA? Again, I'm not saying you have to be wrong; it just seems to me that there are more possible explanations than the either or you presented.

As some of the other posters have said or indicated, I think it's a pretty tough spot for Allen to be in, meaning having to come in cold on the last play of the game and be expected to hit a last-second desperation type shot.

As some of the other posters have said or indicated, I think it's a pretty tough spot for Allen to be in, meaning having to come in cold on the last play of the game and be expected to hit a last-second desperation type shot.
He already hit a 3 that game. I think they are trying to let him get used to game speed, because no matter how many times people say it, he is not a redshirt sophomore.

He is a redshirt freshman or a sophomore who didn't even get to suit up last year. He is no more experienced than any of our freshman other than listening to Cal in the locker room. Let him get used to using his knee again and I can see him playing about 10 mins later on if things go right. For shooting alone if his knee holds up

Reactions: G-PIP
When Wiltjer left and went to Gonzaga coach few did not stick him out on the wing trying to guard 6'4'' players that were lightening quick like Coach Cal did here. Few put him defending players in the lane, and Wiltjer did ok. Few played him to his strengths. Cal put him out trying to guard wing players and exposed all his weakenesses. If Cal would have played Wiltjer the right way he would have been just fine here. Oh I forgot Wiltjer wasn't a big time nba material so cal didn't really want him here.
Starting to think when Cal says you can't hide at Kentucky, what he really means is if you can't play his predetermined way there is little adjusting he will do. Either fit his "positionless" basketball mode or there is little room for you at UK. Might not be articulating the best but basically Cal seems to struggle on how to use some player's strengths and instead says he can't hide you.

Allen also did not get to where he was supposed to be on our last possession down three. Calipari was disgusted with him walking off the court. It’s hard to execute when the guy who is supposed to shoot the game tying shot is not where he is drawn up to be.

Surely after all the PT he’s had he should certainly know exactly where to be. You know like the others out there running around in circles until someone jacks one up.

JHS, that sounds like maybe a false dichotomy. Isn't it also possible that other players in front of Mulder had a better "+ and -" effect and gave the team a better chance to win. Did it have to be some nefarious reason (e.g., Calipari didn't like him, was playing favorites, or wanted to make sure he got someone else to the NBA) or because Calipari just couldn't coach well enough to develop him faster? How much development time and work on his game did he undergo before getting his chance in the NBA? Again, I'm not saying you have to be wrong; it just seems to me that there are more possible explanations than the either or you presented.

You’re right. Idk anything for sure & it’s possible other factors could be in play. I probably should’ve said it was just my opinion. I’m not saying he should’ve started or been the go-to guy. Just saying it’s odd to me that a guy can average double figure points against NBA competition but he wasn’t good enough to get anything more than garbage minutes at UK. He averaged 4 min/game his JR season & 11 his SR year in 2017. Relegated to mop up time for the most part. Brad Calipari type minutes. For comparison, walk-on Dom Hawkins had nearly twice the court time as Mulder in ‘17.

We had some studs ahead of him while Mulder was at UK but there were also a few guys who were inconsistent at best getting 25-33 minutes a game without the worry of a quick hook. I know it’s possible that he could’ve worked his ass off & made huge strides over the course of a year or 2 after leaving UK. It’s not very common but also not unheard of. But, it just seems like there should’ve been closer to 20 min/game for an NBA talent considering some of the guys playing ahead of him. I just think if he had been given a real chance & allowed to play thru mistakes & nerves that he could’ve really helped us in 2017 & possibly even been a difference maker. Certainly a better player than the victory cigar he was, essentially.

Is Allen really so slow laterally and unable to defend as to be a big liability on defense? If so, is it due to his knee injury or was he always so drastically limited?

I always assumed Allen would eventually be fine defensively by using his great wingspan, pretty decent athleticism, and basketball IQ. Most players are going to look uncertain and hesitant on both ends of the floor until they get comfortable (which I understand sometimes may even take a whole season). But, are you saying you think Allen's athleticism (or something else) is so bad he can't ever become a decent defender?

If the team was playing at a higher level as I honestly thought they were capable of and have been 100% incorrect to this point, I viewed Allen's RS FR year as a Wiltjer role playing shot maker type.....then more time. He doesn't get in a stance and guys blow past him. He also is like a lot of the young players in CBB in general and most on this team-they jog/trot up/down the floor from end to end and when you lack the make up speed--it hurts. The guy who is the worst defensive player on the team right now is BJ Boston--because he's got the ablity to be a good defensive player and lets his offensive failures influence his lack of defense.

Allen is needed to play more on this team because nobody can make shots. Until that changes, you better find a way to get a guy who can on the floor more.

You’re right. Idk anything for sure & it’s possible other factors could be in play. I probably should’ve said it was just my opinion. I’m not saying he should’ve started or been the go-to guy. Just saying it’s odd to me that a guy can average double figure points against NBA competition but he wasn’t good enough to get anything more than garbage minutes at UK. He averaged 4 min/game his JR season & 11 his SR year in 2017. Relegated to mop up time for the most part. Brad Calipari type minutes. For comparison, walk-on Dom Hawkins had nearly twice the court time as Mulder in ‘17.

We had some studs ahead of him while Mulder was at UK but there were also a few guys who were inconsistent at best getting 25-33 minutes a game without the worry of a quick hook. I know it’s possible that he could’ve worked his ass off & made huge strides over the course of a year or 2 after leaving UK. It’s not very common but also not unheard of. But, it just seems like there should’ve been closer to 20 min/game for an NBA talent considering some of the guys playing ahead of him. I just think if he had been given a real chance & allowed to play thru mistakes & nerves that he could’ve really helped us in 2017 & possibly even been a difference maker. Certainly a better player than the victory cigar he was, essentially.
I always wanted to see Mulder get more minutes too. A player needs time to get comfortable, in my opinion, to be effective. But, I realize the coach isn't making that decision in a vacuum and I don't have perfect information. Have to be honest though, in the last two games I find myself screaming at the TV for Allen like a maniac.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I always wanted to see Mulder get more minutes too. A player needs time to get comfortable, in my opinion, to be effective. But, I realize the coach isn't making that decision in a vacuum and I don't have perfect information. Have to be honest though, in the last two games I find myself screaming at the TV for Allen like a maniac.

Lol. Me too. It’s frustrating. It baffles me that it’s still an issue with Cal’s teams. 2010 should’ve been all he needed to see to ensure another team’s season doesn’t end bc NOBODY can make a damn shot. Allen did look a little lost at times but he was far from the only one. And, we were in the midst of possibly the worst 2 game shooting slump I’ve ever seen. Throughout most of the game Allen had made our only 3 & we were seriously struggling to score while helplessly watching a big lead evaporate.

You’ve gotta do something to get points & not let KU get in a rhythm & steal all the momentum. I don’t see the harm in giving arguably the best shooter on the team a chance to make a cpl shots in that situation. And, staying in the game & playing thru the mistakes & confusion will help him get in the flow of the game & likely build some confidence, as well, IMO. He’s 6-6 & LONG so he at least has the potential to recover if he’s out of position or gets burned defensively. But, I’m a firm believer in having at least 1-2 shooters on the floor at all times so it could be that I’m just irrational.

Allen looks lost out on the court. Like a deer in headlights .
What? Looks fine out there. Just a bit nervous. Understandable.

Like our other guys don’t seem confused at this point.

Probably should be starting to give us a 6 6 wing and corner shooter to open up the floor. Might turn into a Lamb type player if given a chance. He’s worked hard to get back.. give him a chance. Lord knows we need some offensive help.

ADVERTISEMENT