ADVERTISEMENT

What are your early odds on each player returning next year?

I suspect that if no one else is returning, then Sheppard would be less likely to also. I think, for example, that if Thiero, Burks, and Onyenso return that might have some positive impact on Sheppard returning (but not determinative, of course).

As for Hart, I disagree that it doesn't matter if he returns. You build winning teams with upperclassmen who were once in Hart's position this season. We can see that he has the size and shooting ability to play 2G (maybe SF). But we haven't seen nearly enough to forecast that he'll never be a good player. That's some crazy Calipari one-and-done model thinking. Hart was one of the top players in IN. His father is/was a coach, so you would think Hart probably has a pretty good base understanding of how to play. And most importantly, UK recruited him to one of the top programs in CBB. If it's already "obvious" that Hart can't play Div. I basketball (although how that is obvious baffles me), then why was he brought in? I think the jury is still out on Hart, as it is for most freshmen at other schools - apparently just not at OAD University.
In regards to Hart, I have seen this movie before. He won’t play here next season, so he should just transfer, honestly.

I hope everyone of them (except Mitchell and Reeves) returns. To my eyes, none of the rest of them look ready for the pro ranks. Well, there's a player or so -- no names -- that I wouldn't mind if they hit the portal, but that's just my reaction to their games. The only two who look Pro Ready are the two old timers.

I hope everyone of them (except Mitchell and Reeves) returns. To my eyes, none of the rest of them look ready for the pro ranks. Well, there's a player or so -- no names -- that I wouldn't mind if they hit the portal, but that's just my reaction to their games. The only two who look Pro Ready are the two old timers.
Dillingham a top 5 pick and definitely ready.

Reactions: cats1920
I suspect that if no one else is returning, then Sheppard would be less likely to also. I think, for example, that if Thiero, Burks, and Onyenso return that might have some positive impact on Sheppard returning (but not determinative, of course).

As for Hart, I disagree that it doesn't matter if he returns. You build winning teams with upperclassmen who were once in Hart's position this season. We can see that he has the size and shooting ability to play 2G (maybe SF). But we haven't seen nearly enough to forecast that he'll never be a good player. That's some crazy Calipari one-and-done model thinking. Hart was one of the top players in IN. His father is/was a coach, so you would think Hart probably has a pretty good base understanding of how to play. And most importantly, UK recruited him to one of the top programs in CBB. If it's already "obvious" that Hart can't play Div. I basketball (although how that is obvious baffles me), then why was he brought in? I think the jury is still out on Hart, as it is for most freshmen at other schools - apparently just not at OAD University.

Calipari has a horrendous track record with players like Hart. I don't suspect that will change next season. He goes somewhere that he will be utilized appropriately and given an opportunity.

Reactions: G-PIP
Better brace yourself.

I’ve 9 million reasons to predict his return.
The guy is richer than Rockefeller. How much more money does he plan to steal from Kentucky? If he had an ounce of self respect he’d step down when this yet another ultra talented team flames out in the tourney. He doesn’t look like he’s enjoying himself. He’s not even really interested in being a college coach. He’s nearly 65 (tomorrow in fact)

Here’s hoping he sees the writing on the wall and either retires or finds somewhere else to use his “talents”. If he doesn’t then it’s time to make his life a living hell or put out some dirt on him to force him to go. Unless he’s actually hell bent on totally ruining this program which maybe he is it’s inconceivable that this wouldn’t be the end

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
Calipari has a horrendous track record with players like Hart. I don't suspect that will change next season. He goes somewhere that he will be utilized appropriately and given an opportunity.

Who should he play ahead of this season?

If he isn't willing to put in time and know his role he came to the wrong place.

It's the UK/Calipari experiment so I'll say...

iu

Reactions: wildcat_nation28
Thiero transfers. Ugo transfers. Burks transfers.

Dilly, Wagner, Edwards, Bradshaw, Reeves, Big Z, Mitchell all gone to the draft.

Sheppard I really think sticks around. It's an odd legacy situation and I truly think his parents want him to stay for more than one year. The money isn't a problem and he can only continue to prove himself on the defensive end of the floor.

Hart, I have no idea but it doesn't matter a lot.
Reed is at UK first to play bb and be a kid. He’s not here because cal can get him to the league. His parents met in college. I think reed is a three year player because his parents want him to be a kid and enjoy the college experience. He can make nba money with nil with or without Cals help. Does anyone really believe Jeff Shepard wants his kid done with college in a few months?

I think people have fooled themselves into thinking that Kentucky kids are going to stay here for 3 and 4 years. Hawkins and Willis did because they weren't NBA material.

I'm sure Reed has always wanted to be a Kentucky Wildcat. But he's also always wanted to be in the NBA. I don't buy the idea that he's going to turn down being a lottery pick to live out his boyhood dream of playing at UK for 4 years. I think it's a whole lot of wishful thinking.

As far a Cal leaving, I'd say even he wanted to leave, he would stay just to piss off the fans.

Ok. I see you were speculating about Calipari not giving him a chance, instead of whether or not Hart could become a legitimate player. I understand that.

Well out of the 5 freshman UK has..dillingham Edwards Wagner Bradshaw and Sheppard they’ll all be gone. And only dillingham can even dream of producing in the NBA as of right now. Thats what the used car salesman has turned this program into
Data doesn’t lie. But I get your cynicism

I believe Burks will be recruited hard by other schools. He will probably consider/listen to pitches but ultimately stay at UK.

Of course we aren’t too sure who will be coaching either, go ahead and include Cal too.

Here are mine, in order:
90% Theiro
85% Burks
80% Cal
75% Hart
75% Onyenso
50% Sheppard
20% Edwards
10% Ivisic
5% Bradshaw
2% Wagner
1% Dillingham
95% Theiro

80% Burks

90% Cal

20% Hart

50% Onyenso

33% Sheppard

5% Edwards

25% Ivisic

5% Bradshaw

0% Wagner

0% Dillingham

Percentage is that they are playing for our team next year. We will lose 1-2 to transfer I'm sure.

Reactions: Chief Paducah
If Sheppard doesn’t return, then I may not watch many games. I definitely won’t expect much. We are an NIT team at best next season without him, unless Cal really does well in the transfer portal. Our recruiting class is good, but unless they surprise, they aren’t packing us to #9. Going to need Sheppard’s leadership next season. He is the key to next season, IMHO.

I think Reed Sheppard is certain to return. He's a Kentucky kid and his mom and dad both played at UK. Wouldn't be surprised to see him stay all 4 years then get a 5th year as a grad student. Expect Reed to be here until at least 2028.

• Wow
Reactions: JesusCal26
Sheppard 75%
Burks 50%
Thiero 50% (almost transferred before this season)
Onyenso 50%
Big Z 33%
Wagner 10%
Edwards 10%
Hart 10%
Bradshaw 10%
Dillingham 0%

I think Reed Sheppard is certain to return. He's a Kentucky kid and his mom and dad both played at UK. Wouldn't be surprised to see him stay all 4 years then get a 5th year as a grad student. Expect Reed to be here until at least 2028.
If he is a top 20 pick he is gone, it doesn’t matter if he is from Kentucky, these kids dreams are to play in the nba

If he isn't willing to put in time and know his role he came to the wrong place.
He has also looked lost in the limited time he has played. I hope he stays but he needs to get a lot better if he wants meaningful playing time.

I don’t think Hart should be playing in front of any of the Guards. And I whole-heartedly agree that he has to be willing to put in major work and effort if he’s going to be a player at UK. But wouldn’t you agree that it’s pretty short-sighted, and smacks of being among the most novice and casual of basketball fans, to watch what has been going on with UK’s rosters and think it doesn’t matter if the Hart and Burks type freshmen transfer after their freshman year? We can’t even make an intelligent guess about Hart’s upside at this point. We don’t see practice, and we’re not part of a college coaching staff that I expect should be able to make a pretty good forecast as to Hart’s potential. Yet, he too often gets completely written off as a future player for UK. He may not have been a 5-star OAD, but Hart was himself pretty highly thought of in high school.

As a high school junior, Hart was selected for the Indiana Junior All-Star team; and 247Sports described him as follows before his Senior year: "Hart was special throughout last season, averaging 20.4 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists. He’s a strong scorer and pure shooter which was on full display as he shot over 42% from 3-point range in 2021-22. Already a 1,000-point scorer with 1,168 points in his high school career thus far, Hart is poised to build on his numbers as a senior." 247Sports ended up listing Hart as the #1 SG in Indiana after his Senior year.

I also read that through 8 games (I don’t know how many they played) Hart was leading the Under Armor Circuit in scoring at 22.6 per game; and was described there as having “good position size at 6’5”, spaces the floor with his 3pt. shooting, and is an all-around efficient scoring guard shooting 47% FG.”

So, it’s not like taking Hart was some favor by Calipari. He recruited Hart and at least convinced him that he thought Hart was good enough to play at UK. Now, we haven’t seen enough to know whether he ultimately will be good enough or not, but he has the profile of a guy other teams develop into high level Div. I players that are a big part of a contending team – and which, in my opinion, is what UK needs more of to chase a title. Maybe Hart and Burks don’t develop into really good upperclassmen, but thinking it’s fine that guys like this transfer and UK can just replace them with another OAD freshman evidences, I think, a lack of understanding about winning in college basketball. I will definitely be frustrated if Hart or Burks transfer (but then again, I've been that with UK's roster building for some time now).

The guy is richer than Rockefeller. How much more money does he plan to steal from Kentucky? If he had an ounce of self respect he’d step down when this yet another ultra talented team flames out in the tourney. He doesn’t look like he’s enjoying himself. He’s not even really interested in being a college coach. He’s nearly 65 (tomorrow in fact)

Here’s hoping he sees the writing on the wall and either retires or finds somewhere else to use his “talents”. If he doesn’t then it’s time to make his life a living hell or put out some dirt on him to force him to go. Unless he’s actually hell bent on totally ruining this program which maybe he is it’s inconceivable that this wouldn’t be the end
ukjenning44 account # what?

I’m not sure it is possible that Hart thought he would play ahead of the 3 FR guards. I don’t remember if he was added before or after Reeves returned. So I doubt he expected to play much as a FR.
Now Burks probably thought he would play more than Hart did. And he has. But these guys aren’t dumb. They know from practice if they are as good, a little worse, or a lot worse than those who play more.
I think if Burks thinks he can be in the rotation next year, he returns. And I do think he could be a good player for us next year. Hart I don’t think an of us have seen enough of him to say he will or won’t play next year.

Of course we aren’t too sure who will be coaching either, go ahead and include Cal too.

Here are mine, in order:
90% Theiro
85% Burks
80% Cal
75% Hart
75% Onyenso
50% Sheppard
20% Edwards
10% Ivisic
5% Bradshaw
2% Wagner
1% Dillingham
100% on Sheppard

I’m not sure it is possible that Hart thought he would play ahead of the 3 FR guards. I don’t remember if he was added before or after Reeves returned. So I doubt he expected to play much as a FR.
Now Burks probably thought he would play more than Hart did. And he has. But these guys aren’t dumb. They know from practice if they are as good, a little worse, or a lot worse than those who play more.
I think if Burks thinks he can be in the rotation next year, he returns. And I do think he could be a good player for us next year. Hart I don’t think an of us have seen enough of him to say he will or won’t play next year.
Exactly.

I think as it stands now, Burks is going to be in the 9-man rotation.

1 Sheppard(or a portal guard if he leaves)
2 Fland
3 Johnson(or another wing shooter/scorer)
4 Thiero
5 Quaintance
6 Onyenso
7 Burks
8 Richmond
9 Cyril

Perry, unless he is Sheppard 2.0, probably sits and waits his turn.

I think Hart is right back at the bottom again, if he doesn’t transfer.

I'm a big Reed fan and I hope he comes back.
That said if he's a lottery pick he's gone.
That makes him a multi millionaire and he's set for life.

Has any player that was projected in the lottery ever come back to a school?

I think people have fooled themselves into thinking that Kentucky kids are going to stay here for 3 and 4 years. Hawkins and Willis did because they weren't NBA material.

I'm sure Reed has always wanted to be a Kentucky Wildcat. But he's also always wanted to be in the NBA. I don't buy the idea that he's going to turn down being a lottery pick to live out his boyhood dream of playing at UK for 4 years. I think it's a whole lot of wishful thinking.
Are you a mind reader? Did Reed tell you he always wanted to be in the NBA? I call BS

Are you a mind reader? Did Reed tell you he always wanted to be in the NBA? I call BS
OK.

So you guys can read his mind and know he wants to spent 3 or 4 years at UK?

I don't know why this is such a hard concept for people. It's a message board. Everything expressed is an opinion. None of you have any inside info that Reed wants to be a Wildcat for 3 or 4 years.
Most college players dream of getting to the NBA. Most of them take that chance when they're a lottery pick.

You guys just want to believe it.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Hart was never brought here to play immediately. The players knew it, the coach knew it, HE knew it. So IF he leaves, it will be to a smaller school because he is not a power 5 type player right NOW where he can leave and play meaningful minutes at a big time program. IF he leaves, it will be because he doesn't think he is good enough to ever play at UK. If so, good for him and good for UK. What exactly have you seen from Hart that screams "ready to contribute" at a major college program ? Be honest, not just to use as a prop to bash the coach. Now, on the other hand, a player like Burks who showed (in a small sample), that he can contribute, so if he doesn't get minutes the rest of the way, he MAY decide he can do more somewhere else, but I do not think so, he seems happy here and willing to put in the extra work and time to get better. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

With the portal now, it is hard to say for the guys who would normally come back, but here is my GUESS.
Theiro - 80% (if no transfer)

Burks - 50% (depending on playing time the rest of the way. If he doesn't get playing time, big transfer candidate)
Hart - 20% (I think he transfers)

Onyenso - 25% (if he gets any kind of guarantee, he is gone)
Cal - Not a player, 100% lock he is back. Just curious, why include him in a players thread ? HMMM.

Sheppard - 60% ( I think there is a good chance he comes back to work on some things that need improving.

Edwards, Bradshaw, Wagner, and Dillingham - 100% gone. That was the plan to begin with.

Z - 50% - This is the toughest to gauge. He got here late and has had some issues with injury and being sick slowing his development, he loves it here (has stated numerous times), wouldn't shock me if he comes back for a second year.
Is their NIL income from UK public?

If guys like Shepard and Z are making big money, I can see those 2 staying. Both would benefit by playing another year at UK. None of them are NBA ready by a mile.
The rest are likely gone except Hart and he will probably transfer based on his PT.

I think Thiero, Onyenso, and Burks will be back. Hart maybe, but he won’t play next season even if he returns.

Sheppard might return. If he was a typical Cal OAD type, I would say he is gone, but he is so connected to the university and his family, so there’s a better chance than you would normally think.

I’m predicting Sheppard, Thiero, Onyenso, and Burks return.

I think Jasper Johnson reclasses and signs for this season.

I think we sign Knox.

G Sheppard/Fland
G Johnson/Perry
G Knox/Richmond
F Quaintance/Thiero/Burks
F Onyenso/Cyril
I know Richmond is listed as a "shooting guard", but I see him being more of a wing in college. He is so strong, and is 6'5 over 200 lbs. He is not what I consider a modern day 2 guard (he shoots 25% from 3), he is more of a athletic, powerful, point forward. His strengths is in the open court, or slashing in the half court. Really good passer, who gets teammates involved. In order to be a true shooting guard, he has to get better shooting.

I'm a big Reed fan and I hope he comes back.
That said if he's a lottery pick he's gone.
That makes him a multi millionaire and he's set for life.

Has any player that was projected in the lottery ever come back to a school?
Not sure if Terrence Jones was a projected lottery pick after his Freshman year, but he was a first rounder for sure. I figure that is the closest comparison for UK, anyway. Also, we can thank the NBA lockout for that one.

I know Richmond is listed as a "shooting guard", but I see him being more of a wing in college. He is so strong, and is 6'5 over 200 lbs. He is not what I consider a modern day 2 guard (he shoots 25% from 3), he is more of a athletic, powerful, point forward. His strengths is in the open court, or slashing in the half court. Really good passer, who gets teammates involved. In order to be a true shooting guard, he has to get better shooting.
Got him as a 3. That’s a wing. Traditionally a Small Forward. Cal usually lists his projected 3’s as guards. For example, Edwards and Thiero are both listed as guards. They are both 6’8. Richmond will be considered a guard and will likely play at the 3 spot mostly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT