ADVERTISEMENT

What are your early odds on each player returning next year?

Got him as a 3. That’s a wing. Traditionally a Small Forward. Cal usually lists his projected 3’s as guards. For example, Edwards and Thiero are both listed as guards. They are both 6’8. Richmond will be considered a guard and will likely play at the 3 spot mostly.
I agree. maybe depending on matchups, he could play a small ball 4, with his ability to take slower 4s off the dribble. he would need to add a little weight, but not much. I do not know if his outside shot will ever be good enough to play wing.

Reactions: G-PIP
It's the UK/Calipari experiment so I'll say...

iu
I would have to agree

I know Richmond is listed as a "shooting guard", but I see him being more of a wing in college. He is so strong, and is 6'5 over 200 lbs. He is not what I consider a modern day 2 guard (he shoots 25% from 3), he is more of a athletic, powerful, point forward. His strengths is in the open court, or slashing in the half court. Really good passer, who gets teammates involved. In order to be a true shooting guard, he has to get better shooting.
I like Richmond as a recruit a lot. I think he fits very well as a traditional freshman backup SF who you expect to develop into a good SF as an upperclassman. And the best part is that I think Richmond (unlike Knox) may be willing to take that route. But I think either Richmond or Knox starting at SF for UK next year puts a nail in the coffin of even contending for an SEC title. Although Quaintance as the starting PF will probably pretty much accomplish the same thing. If Quaintance can win the starting C position on merit, great. Otherwise, work, play his role to help the team and develop that first year.

Of course, that might not be how things now work at UK, but it’s how top programs intending to compete for championships work. But at least we can continue to get some excitement from chasing recruiting titles, rather than championship titles.

I like Richmond as a recruit a lot. I think he fits very well as a traditional freshman backup SF who you expect to develop into a good SF as an upperclassman. And the best part is that I think Richmond (unlike Knox) may be willing to take that route. But I think either Richmond or Knox starting at SF for UK next year puts a nail in the coffin of even contending for an SEC title. Although Quaintance as the starting PF will probably pretty much accomplish the same thing. If Quaintance can win the starting C position on merit, great. Otherwise, work, play his role to help the team and develop that first year.

Of course, that might not be how things now work at UK, but it’s how top programs intending to compete for championships work. But at least we can continue to get some excitement from chasing recruiting titles, rather than championship titles.
I agree. But if we have too many players at a position, it would be a nice benefit of having guys like Sheppard and Dillingham come off the bench. it is more important who finishes games, not starting as this year has proved it can work. Give me all the depth possible, it gives flexibility to multiple lineups depending on situation. What I love most about Richmond is his tenacity at both ends. he is kind of what we are missing this year, a bully, or physical player that not only can, but will get after you. We will have scorers, give me 3/4 guys who can get after it on the defensive and offensive glass, and play unselfish like the guys share it this year. The guys we have this year, does not really care who scores, just somebody score. Need a good balance of scoring and the ability to get stops. You do not have to average 90 to win. Average 80 but with a strong defensive presence.

I agree. But if we have too many players at a position, it would be a nice benefit of having guys like Sheppard and Dillingham come off the bench. it is more important who finishes games, not starting as this year has proved it can work. Give me all the depth possible, it gives flexibility to multiple lineups depending on situation. What I love most about Richmond is his tenacity at both ends. he is kind of what we are missing this year, a bully, or physical player that not only can, but will get after you. We will have scorers, give me 3/4 guys who can get after it on the defensive and offensive glass, and play unselfish like the guys share it this year. The guys we have this year, does not really care who scores, just somebody score. Need a good balance of scoring and the ability to get stops. You do not have to average 90 to win. Average 80 but with a strong defensive presence.
I wasn’t intending to step into the “does it matter who starts” discussion. By “starting” player I just meant the player who has the biggest impact on winning (what I would call the “best player” at a position).

And I agree that UK should load the roster with the best players possible and let true fair competition determine playing time. Depth is important – not only for a current year, but also for building a top program that can compete year-in-and-year-out.

Still the best players (using my definition of “best player” rather than projected draft position, high school recruiting ranking, or looking back after a kid matures into his potential) at any position in college is generally (almost always) going to be upperclassmen. UK needs to develop and retain its share of those and pick up a few of the best others have put in the development sweat for. You want to add an OAD (or two maybe) mostly as an expected role player who shows flashes of more, fine with me too.

BIG Z Gone
Bradshaw Gone
Ugo Gone - Wanted to leave last year.
Burks - Gone - he is used to playing a ton and did not get hardly any run.
Mitchell of course gone
Reeves of course gone
Wagner Gone
Dillingham gone
Edwards Gone
Adou - I think he is gone. He should be starting and everyone knows it including his dad.
Hart - Do not know nothing about him so doubt he will be back. Probably end up at UCLA or somewhere like that.
Sheppard: Not sure. I think he wants to win a NCAA Championship like his dad.

CAL - No information but from his radio show he pretty much stated why give up 9 mil a year job. SO I put him as back.
Thiero has started 11/14 games he has played in this year… he has been starting

Dillingham - 100 gone
Wagner - 95 gone
Edwards - 90 gone (transfer)
Bradshaw - 85 gone
Reed - 50/50 but leaning toward staying as he will break UK Nil record n still make tons here.
Z - 50/50
Ugo likely back
Burks likely back
Thierro likely back

As much as he can get.

There is never enough money.

It’s the reason there are billionaires.
well in that case I think they should force him to leave. Either make something up to accuse him of or make his life so miserable that he resigns. Lets be honest if someone put out some kind of dirt on him, most people would believe it. I actually wonder if he has something on the AD and thats why he still has a job

Dillingham - 100 gone
Wagner - 95 gone
Edwards - 90 gone (transfer)
Bradshaw - 85 gone
Reed - 50/50 but leaning toward staying as he will break UK Nil record n still make tons here.
Z - 50/50
Ugo likely back
Burks likely back
Thierro likely back
Sheppard needs to be the highest paid player on the team next season, by a lot. He needs to be one of the highest paid in all of D-1, actually.

Said it before, Sheppard is the key to a successful season. We will struggle without his leadership.

Sheppard needs to be the highest paid player on the team next season, by a lot. He needs to be one of the highest paid in all of D-1, actually.

Said it before, Sheppard is the key to a successful season. We will struggle without his leadership.
Reed is a home st kid, a future NBA player , an a baby face kid next door look. He's a Kentucky advertisers dream he will make a TON!!

Reed is a home st kid, a future NBA player , an a baby face kid next door look. He's a Kentucky advertisers dream he will make a TON!!
If Sheppard was selected in the first round, but after the teens his salary would be 2M+, right? Is there some information or a comparison already out there to suggest that Sheppard could likely get similar from NIL next season?

Then next season is going to be the same as the last several.
I’m afraid you’re likely correct. The best option is to grow your own upperclassmen, Sheppard being a case in point and particularly important. UK could go to the portal for the best transfers to ameliorate the situation drastically, but there is risk there too. Not nearly as risky as relying on freshman who have never played college basketball, but risk nevertheless. Even though the transfers have proven ability, there could be character or chemistry issues, a need to get acclimated to SEC athletes, etc.

Outside of Reeves, Dilly, Sheppard, and Mitchell it should be none of them.

Wagner, not physically ready. NBA guards will eat him alive.
Bradshaw and Ivisic, again, not physically ready.
Onyenso and Thiero, you really expect them to ever suit up in an NBA game?
Edwards, again, does he look to you like he could survive a grueling 82 game NBA season.
Burks, maybe an NBA player, but not for at least another couple seasons.
Hart, who knows, we don't see him at all.

Reeves, Dilly, Mitchell, Edwards, Wagner- 0%
Sheppard, Ivisic, Bradshaw- 50%
Onyenso, Thiero, Burks, 100%
Hart- unknown, but why would you come knowing you won't play much and then transfer.

Such an odd time we live in with people not being taught to honor their committments because they had the smallest inkling of adversity. It's not that people are built different these days it's that they are taught different. End mini-rant.

If Sheppard was selected in the first round, but after the teens his salary would be 2M+, right? Is there some information or a comparison already out there to suggest that Sheppard could likely get similar from NIL next season?
I just know there is no NIL cap yet and Reed will be a person all advertisers in state want . Putting 2 n 2 together.

I would imagine unless he's lottery he makes more at UK.

I just know there is no NIL cap yet and Reed will be a person all advertisers in state want . Putting 2 n 2 together.

I would imagine unless he's lottery he makes more at UK.
I was suspecting NIL for Sheppard could get close too, but I figured somebody here has already looked at the possibility some and could give us a better answer than my gut.

Cal 100%- fat contract, not going anywhere until that is paid out.

Edwards, Wagner, Dillingham, Bradshaw 0%- all gone, was determined before they got here and that’s the Calipari way.

Reed- 15% chance he returns. I’d say if he is guaranteed 1st round his is gone. Otherwise he is going to have to come back and fight against what Cal has already promised next year’s guards.

Ugo- 5%. Tried to leave last year. More of the same and bigger sample size of play someone will offer him decent money, guaranteed playing time. Gone.

Burks 20%- if he is happy with the role he has this year and accepts it for next year then he stays. He isnt playing over Cal’s promises to other players.

Z-0%. Think the distance from home, Cal’s inconsistent rotation/we dont use stretch 4’s in Cal’s system, he declares for NBA if not drafted heads back home for Euro pro ball.

Hart 50%- could probably play alot at mid major schools if playing time is what he wants most. He wants NIL and loves being a bench player for a big program he stays.

Theiro 25%- again sample size of play is larger and I think lots of teams would love to have him. I love his heart, physical play, etc. Kinda of kid we need in our program but Cal wants Fr. with draft potential. Cant have a blue collar kid out working and showing up the newbies that Cal wants in the green room.

Bottomline we are going to lose 80% of our roster each year with Cal as always. He will pump the draft picks, how he creates generational wealth, #1 recruiting class etc. Then he will use our youth and roster turnover as an excuse of why we dont win shit during the season once again. Rinse and repeat. Nothing will change until he is gone which is when that contract is up.

Dillingham obviously gone. Sheppard will and should be gone if he is a lottery pick. Too much risk not to. Wagner,Edwards and Bradshaw are gone. This was just a required pit stop in their minds. There seems to be something off in the relationship between Thiero and Cal. He may transfer. Burks and Ugo i have no feel about what they might do. Hart should transfer where he can play. I think Z realizes what an idiot Cal is and will play elsewhere probably professionally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT