ADVERTISEMENT

What are Reasonable and Possible Solutions to Reduce Shootings (Schools and Venues)

Serious question...of those who are posting in this conversation, have any of you had a situation where someone did try to break in to your house or attack your family/loved ones and you were forced to use a firearm for protection? I get it, regardless of whether or not it's actually happened to you it's your constitutional right. But I'm asking, without trying to be intrusive, if anyone has had a situation or incident occur where having a firearm handy allowed you to deescalate the situation and protect your own? If so, would you mind sharing some of details. Not looking for a link to some story where it happened to a family in Iowa or New Meixco or wherever. But someone who posts on here and discusses the benefits of having a firearm available to them in their own home should such a situation arise. Again, not trying to cross the line on anyone's privacy. Just want to hear how some of these incidents have played out first hand from our big blue fanbase.

Serious question...of those who are posting in this conversation, have any of you had a situation where someone did try to break in to your house or attack your family/loved ones and you were forced to use a firearm for protection? I get it, regardless of whether or not it's actually happened to you it's your constitutional right. But I'm asking, without trying to be intrusive, if anyone has had a situation or incident occur where having a firearm handy allowed you to deescalate the situation and protect your own? If so, would you mind sharing some of details. Not looking for a link to some story where it happened to a family in Iowa or New Meixco or wherever. But someone who posts on here and discusses the benefits of having a firearm available to them in their own home should such a situation arise. Again, not trying to cross the line on anyone's privacy. Just want to hear how some of these incidents have played out first hand from our big blue fanbase.

1. My cousin was awoke by the sound of someone trying to kick in the front door. She ran to her dad's bedroom, grabbed the shotgun, and met them when the door came open. She never pulled the trigger, but they saw the gun and ran. She later called the police and they were caught at their homes.

2. My wife's family are nuts. We were staying at her mamaw's when my MIL's boyfriend showed up, high, waiving a pistol around in the front yd. We stayed in the house with my pistol.....called the police.....and they took care of it.

I have one or two more, but they're basically about the same premise. The FBI reports that thousands upon thousands of instances like these happen every yr.......and many, many more go unreported to the police or not filed by the police. Despite the many deaths, shootings, suicides, accidents, etc, that occur, the evidence is out there that supports responsible ownership rights.

Provide a sex bot lounge at school so these crazy young men have an outlet for their frustrations. Although you are going to have to pay your janitors a lot more.

779841.jpg

1. My cousin was awoke by the sound of someone trying to kick in the front door. She ran to her dad's bedroom, grabbed the shotgun, and met them when the door came open. She never pulled the trigger, but they saw the gun and ran. She later called the police and they were caught at their homes.

2. My wife's family are nuts. We were staying at her mamaw's when my MIL's boyfriend showed up, high, waiving a pistol around in the front yd. We stayed in the house with my pistol.....called the police.....and they took care of it.

I have one or two more, but they're basically about the same premise. The FBI reports that thousands upon thousands of instances like these happen every yr.......and many, many more go unreported to the police or not filed by the police. Despite the many deaths, shootings, suicides, accidents, etc, that occur, the evidence is out there that supports responsible ownership rights.

Damn, that's pretty crazy that your cousin was face to face with the intruder. Sounds like the shotgun was the difference between the intruders taking a chance or running away. Glad nothing terrible happened. Much like sexual assault cases, I'm sure there are plenty of home protection instances like the one you shared that go unreported. Both would benefit with being reported more often to help raise more awareness. However with your cousin's situation you can see why they would feel there is no need to do anything from that point on.

Nope. Carried a 9mm in my truck several years and was never once tempted to pull it. No longer carry.
Fortunately, never had an issue at home either but as the old saying goes, better to have it and not need it,, than to need it and not have it.

Last edited:
Twitter announced it will be changing it's sights from content to behavioral/conduct when it comes to ranking and promoting your tweets. Essentially, if you're being a dick, your posts will begin to get filtered out. Just like you can't start mouthing off at a coffee shop without getting the boot, you won't be able to attack people aggressively without it being blocked (in theory and in practice).

This is huge for social media platforms as a big problem with the internet is that it's still very much anonymous. There's no checks and balances. You can say whatever you want and still be safe. Look at many of our posters.. they say things they'd NEVER say to you in person. And there's also no policing. There's no teacher or cop or parent on the internet to yank you aside and say "Quit being an ass".

This is relevant because IMO there's a lack of decency in internet, caused by anonymity. The bullying and self-promotion on social media is killing our society and I imagine has a lot to do with these shootings.

The content and opinions have never been the issue. Posting conservative opinions shouldn't get you banned.. being a dick about your conservative opinions should.

Reactions: jameslee32
Damn, that's pretty crazy that your cousin was face to face with the intruder. Sounds like the shotgun was the difference between the intruders taking a chance or running away. Glad nothing terrible happened. Much like sexual assault cases, I'm sure there are plenty of home protection instances like the one you shared that go unreported. Both would benefit with being reported more often to help raise more awareness. However with your cousin's situation you can see why they would feel there is no need to do anything from that point on.

It really shook her up. For a long, long time she didn't want to be left alone whether she was in public or at the house. She was about 16-17 at the time.

^I joke above, but there is a point here.

I don't think the main issue is not having firearm control, firearm safety, metal detectors, armed guards, etc. It's a lack of upbringing coupled with a myriad of social issues.

For example, let's say your daughter needs new brakes on her car every couple yrs. What do you do? Keep buying pads? Buy her more expensive ones that don't wear out as much? Buy her a new car that might be better on brakes? Or do you teach her not to abuse the brakes as much?

Most of these shooters are kids who have single parents, have easy access to weaponry, are social outcasts, are bullied in some ways, struggle in school, have been labeled with psychological issues (which in turn puts them on psych drugs)......or any combination therein. The kids who are shooting are not the Beaver Cleaver types who's issues are small potatoes.

Throw in some social issues: like over-medicating psych issues, social media (bullying and access to harmful websites.....etc....

The part that in bold above is what I most wonder about. Off the cuff, I think parenting of kids has changed. Everyone in my neighborhood, both parents work. When I grew up, most mom's stayed home. I don't want women to go back to the dark ages, my wife is highly educated and has a good job. But I have to wonder if this is behind what we are seeing.

Google machine gave me two different answers regarding how much we work now compared to in the past.

We work more now than in the past.

We work less now than in the past.

I don't think its a single parent vs two parents vs stay at home parent issue. It's probably more related to the amount of quality time a parent is with their kids. Teaching them how to cope with hardship and differences of opinion.

We've always had guns. Always had schools. We've always had bullied kids. But something has changed.

The part that in bold above is what I most wonder about. Off the cuff, I think parenting of kids has changed. Everyone in my neighborhood, both parents work. When I grew up, most mom's stayed home. I don't want women to go back to the dark ages, my wife is highly educated and has a good job. But I have to wonder if this is behind what we are seeing.

Google machine gave me two different answers regarding how much we work now compared to in the past.

I don't think its a single parent vs two parents vs stay at home parent issue. It's probably more related to the amount of quality time a parent is with their kids. Teaching them how to cope with hardship and differences of opinion.

We've always had guns. Always had schools. We've always had bullied kids. But something has changed.

^Well said.

Reactions: UKGrad93
I see a lot of graphs and statements about school shooting here, and comparing it to the number of school shootings in countries with tighter gun control. Seems to be an obvious comparison. Except there doesn't appear to be a large number of school shootings ANYWHERE bu here- even in countries with lax gun control or high guns-per-capita rates.

What I mean is, there are about 101 guns per 100 residents in the US, we have a lot of school shootings. There are 6.2 guns per 100 residents in England/Wales, and virtually no school shootings. But If guns, and availability of them, is the issue, shouldn't a country like Germany, Canada, France, or Austria, with 30 guns per 100, or Serbia with 58 per 100, have a much higher number of school shootings than England? In other words, guns aren't exactly impossible to get or find in these other countries, though harder to find than here, but no one seems to be shooting up schools with them. 1 in 10 people on Cyprus own guns privately, and that many more own them in their homes as part of government service. There were only 5 gun homicides there in 2013.

What gives?

I see a lot of graphs and statements about school shooting here, and comparing it to the number of school shootings in countries with tighter gun control. Seems to be an obvious comparison. Except there doesn't appear to be a large number of school shootings ANYWHERE bu here- even in countries with lax gun control or high guns-per-capita rates.

What I mean is, there are about 101 guns per 100 residents in the US, we have a lot of school shootings. There are 6.2 guns per 100 residents in England/Wales, and virtually no school shootings. But If guns, and availability of them, is the issue, shouldn't a country like Germany, Canada, France, or Austria, with 30 guns per 100, or Serbia with 58 per 100, have a much higher number of school shootings than England? In other words, guns aren't exactly impossible to get or find in these other countries, though harder to find than here, but no one seems to be shooting up schools with them. 1 in 10 people on Cyprus own guns privately, and that many more own them in their homes as part of government service. There were only 5 gun homicides there in 2013.

What gives?

Good point. Just simply taking away the guns is not the answer. It's worth noting that a lot of other countries have problems with mass bombings.....whether they have access to guns or not.

The method of evil is the not the answer. The evil is....

Reactions: Phil_The_Music

Yep.

There are a lot of complications that come from redefining gender roles. It's nature. Male animals do this and female animals do that. It's predetermined.

We are too "smart"/dumb for our own good. We have manufactured a lot of problems in order to create more money.

Actually, it goes on the night stand when in bed but, not a mental case. If I were, you would probably have to classify about half of the nation mental. Many people sleep with a gun very close to them at night. I spent many a night with my rifle in my sleeping bag or right next to me in the military. Very natural thing to do with people who use guns for their job. Once again your attitude towards it is what makes a civil conversation about guns in this country impossible. The left are the mental ones. We have had weapons in this country since the beginning and it is only in recent years has it been a problem. The left has been the problem because of the lack of discipline and morals you are not displaying. But, if I am mental in your world, I am good with that. Perhaps it keeps the real crazies away.
TBF I am a dirty lib who keeps a M&P next to the bed too. And a shotgun or two. No kids yet tho. If anyone I'm not super close with comes over they're locked up.

What gives?
Maybe it’s not a linear relationship to the ratio of guns to citizens? Maybe once a society goes above some threshold?

One thing off the top of my head is that workers in European countries take long vacations. Maybe that gives them more time with their kids.

I think there are a lot of angles on this issue to explore. It is not simple.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music

I put the blame on the internet, and more so social media platforms. Social Media is killing us for multiple reasons: bullying, chasing famous people, time waster, depression, fake news, fomo, perfectionism..

Like you alluded to, the only thing that's changed is society.. and a big factor on society is the internet.

Now it's not so much that the internet is all bad. We just need to learn how to use it better. There needs to be accountability in who posts what, but also time usage. Being addicted to social media (teens unlock their phones, on average, 95 times a day) is probably doing just as much damage, albeit a different type of damage as binge drinking. I think we're going to look back on social media in 20-30 years with a different view of the destruction it *can* do.

Yep.

There are a lot of complications that come from redefining gender roles. It's nature. Male animals do this and female animals do that. It's predetermined.

We are too "smart"/dumb for our own good. We have manufactured a lot of problems in order to create more money.
Yep, we have shifted away from having ‘absolutes’ anymore. There has been a shift to more relative thinking. Some of it is ok, but it also causes problems.

I put the blame on the internet, and more so social media platforms. Social Media is killing us for multiple reasons: bullying, chasing famous people, time waster, depression, fake news, fomo, perfectionism..

Like you alluded to, the only thing that's changed is society.. and a big factor on society is the internet.

Now it's not so much that the internet is all bad. We just need to learn how to use it better. There needs to be accountability in who posts what, but also time usage. Being addicted to social media (teens unlock their phones, on average, 95 times a day) is probably doing just as much damage, albeit a different type of damage as binge drinking. I think we're going to look back on social media in 20-30 years with a different view of the destruction it *can* do.
Definitely a big change to society. We’re seeing the first generation or so of kids and parents that have had to deal with it. There are known problems with Facebook because it makes people feel bad every time they’re logged in. Everyone else has such great families and houses and vacations.

You can try to be a good parent and lock down a lot of content, but you can’t gat all of it. My kid hates social media, but fills time with YouTube channels. It definitely affects her mood the more she’s on it/ less time outdoors.

Our technology is outpacing our ability to understand and handle it.

One thing off the top of my head is that workers in European countries take long vacations. Maybe that gives them more time with their kids.

I think there are a lot of angles on this issue to explore. It is not simple.

We tend to get people from all over the world that come to observe our workplace. The recurrent statements that we hear over and over again are:
-"I can't believe how overweight everyone is..."
-"Americans work too much..."

Take Germany for example, then get an uber-amount of time off every yr for vacation.....and maternity and paternity leave is very long.

One guy from Italy says that he works about 5 hrs a day, but that it varies because he can pretty much take off whenever he needs to.

Another guy from Australia that it's nothing for entire businesses just to shut down during the wk to allow for all employees to go the beach or something.....on a whim.

Spain is notorious for taking 2-3 hrs during lunch breaks, etc.

Definitely a big change to society. We’re seeing the first generation or so of kids and parents that have had to deal with it. There are known problems with Facebook because it makes people feel bad every time they’re logged in. Everyone else has such great families and houses and vacations.

You can try to be a good parent and lock down a lot of content, but you can’t gat all of it. My kid hates social media, but fills time with YouTube channels. It definitely affects her mood the more she’s on it/ less time outdoors.

Agreed....well said.

Although it's likely just a correlation at this point, I too feel that the shootings are very much a cause of the "internet generation" and we're struggling as a society to learn to deal with it.

Reactions: UKGrad93
We tend to get people from all over the world that come to observe our workplace. The recurrent statements that we hear over and over again are:

Take Germany for example, then get an uber-amount of time off every yr for vacation.....and maternity and paternity leave is very long.

One guy from Italy says that he works about 5 hrs a day, but that it varies because he can pretty much take off whenever he needs to.

Another guy from Australia that it's nothing for entire businesses just to shut down during the wk to allow for all employees to go the beach or something.....on a whim.

Moreover, we've all heard someone claim that Americans are a lazy culture. I don't think of us as lazy necessarily as much as we have all our energy misplaced. We spend so much time working to the bone to achieve the American Dream....and to outpace the Jones'.....that we have our priorities bass-ackwards. We're neglecting our health and family.

Moreover, we've all heard someone claim that Americans are a lazy culture. I don't think of us as lazy necessarily as much as we have all our energy misplaced. We spend so much time working to the bone to achieve the American Dream....and to outpace the Jones'.....that we have our priorities bass-ackwards. We're neglecting our health and family.
It’s a holdover from our Puritan heritage.

Reactions: BlueRaider22

There are reports everyday that basically find this. There's no way around it, that social media generally makes us sadder, causes depression and anxiety and doesn't do much but fill our time. Social media can't replace true human interactions, at least not in it's current state. And those interactions is where happiness is derived from and society is built.

It's really just a matter of limiting time on it. Social Media is great for interacting with my old college buds. This week, every year we do "Meat Week", where we eat only animal, and this Thursday is Franksgiving: the half year mark from Thanksgiving where we grill and eat various wiener/hot dog foods, then we booze. It was great to share photos of past events. That's what Social media is intended for.. But then, you find yourself checking up on 1,000+ friends.. only 10% are ACTUALLY your friends.. for 10 minutes blocks, every day. Comparing, feeling left out, wasting time.

We just have to learn how to use it better. Yeah, I'd be great to drink 8 bourbons a day.. but there are side-effects to it. There are consequences to the dopamine rush it gives you. We just haven't gotten there year, because Social media is only 15 years old.

Last edited:
Yep.

This and the "poor me" syndrome. Plus, a lot of medication. People wear a personal badge of oneupness for who has the most ailments and the prescriptions to go with it.

Ducati doesn't stock any OEM parts in the US and dealers stock very little...if you need something it must be shipped over from Italy. Just hope that you don't need something in September because the company shuts down for the month.

EU law dictates that 4 weeks is the minimum vacation an employer can offer. Most offer 5-6 weeks... add in about 17 holidays [smoke].

There are reports everyday that basically find this. There's no way around it, that social media generally makes us sadder, causes depression and anxiety and doesn't do much but fill our time. Social media can't replace true human interactions, at least not in it's current state. And those interactions is where happiness is derived from and society is built.

It's really just a matter of limiting time on it. Social Media is great for interacting with my old college buds. This week, every year we do "Meat Week", where we eat only animal, and this Thursday is Franksgiving: the half year mark from Thanksgiving where we grill and eat various wiener/hot dog foods, then we booze. It was great to share photos of past events. That's what Social media is intended for.. But then, you find yourself checking up on 1,000+ friends.. only 10% are ACTUALLY your friends.. for 10 minutes blocks, every day. Comparing, feeling left out, wasting time.

We just have to learn how to use it better. Yeah, I'd be great to drink 8 bourbons a day.. but there are side-effects to it. There are consequences to the dopamine rush it gives you. We just haven't gotten there year, because Social media is only 15 years old.
Another problem with teenagers using this stuff is that their brains and reasoning aren't fully developed. It's part of why they engage in more risky behaviors, the long term planning in the brain isn't all there yet. Also, I think there is a problem at that age even with reading facial expressions. Add in the heard mentality and some feeling of anonymity, you get kids that go postal. Hell, just look at this board, lol.

Another problem with teenagers using this stuff is that their brains and reasoning aren't fully developed. It's part of why they engage in more risky behaviors, the long term planning in the brain isn't all there yet. Also, I think there is a problem at that age even with reading facial expressions. Add in the heard mentality and some feeling of anonymity, you get kids that go postal. Hell, just look at this board, lol.

The more risky behaviors happen because a lot of little shit is tolerated now.

It was too big of a jump to consider shooting up a school 30 years ago. You were going to get nailed for a 100 other minor things first.

We did have a lot of phoned in bomb threats in the early to mid eighties though. At least 2-4 per year that would clear out the campus at my school. I don't remember having a bomb threat on a rainy or cold day.

The more risky behaviors happen because a lot of little shit is tolerated now.

It was too big of a jump to consider shooting up a school 30 years ago. You were going to get nailed for a 100 other minor things first.

We did have a lot of phoned in bomb threats in the early to mid eighties though. At least 2-4 per year that would clear out the campus at my school. I don't remember having a bomb threat on a rainy or cold day.
The rational part of a teen’s brain isn’t fully developed and won’t be until age 25 or so.

Reactions: jameslee32
A man suffering from mental illness just walked out of a family lunch at a restaurant, after church. Got in the suv..and tammed the restaurant killing two. They thought he was using the restroom.

He wont see a guilty murder conviction.. but the ones who survived should?
Well, you do know we're talking weapons, not suv's, right? Who gave him the keys knowing he was mentally ill?

You would have had that idea because you would have came up with it, just like you came up with the idea of holding families of middle class children accountable for their version of violent crime. But you don't come up with the idea that families of violent juveniles from govt. housing should be held so accountable because you do not care about their preferred victims, which is primarily other poor minorities. This makes you racist. The only time you sense the need to impose a form of strict accountability in this way is when victims are created less often, by offenders who society does not accept as such, and most always includes victims you think deserves society's preferred protection. In other words, as long as the body count and the juvenile killers stay in the hood you have no voice.
Again, where do the weapons come from?

Why have to drive into the class room.

My son's high school has a student population of over 2000.

Hit them outside while they are lining up for the metal detector.
Again, cars aren't designed with the purpose of killing in mind. And why haven't these mass killers in the US not focused on using cars over weapons if there are so easy to use for such? maybe because people can see them coming & their speed is 100 mph not 500?

Again, cars aren't designed with the purpose of killing in mind. And why haven't these mass killers in the US not focused on using cars over weapons if there are so easy to use for such? maybe because people can see them coming & their speed is 100 mph not 500?

They use guns because that's what the guy before them used.

It would be far more easy and deadly to send out a bunch of bombs strapped to some programmed drones. Or poison the school's spaghetti.....you could kill hundreds of kids with a single flick of the wrist.

Now granted I wouldn't mind seeing some changes in some laws that would make it harder to get a firearm, but I'm not naive to think that it's the root of the issue.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Yea. Never has been a car or truck used for mass murder. Oh wait!

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Home invasion. The wife worked for the Sheriffs office, had her police cruiser in the drive way and still had a dumbass try to break in the basement door. The noise alerted the dog, which woke her up. Long story short...she met mr bandana mask in the hall and my boxer eat his ass up. She couldn't get a shot because it was dark and she was afraid of shooting the dog as it rolled his sorry ass on the floor. Guy ran out the door with the dog hanging from his back shaking it's jaws. A few seconds later the dog returned. The police never located the guy.
Each person has to evaluate their own situation. My kids are grown so multiple unlocked guns stashed in the house is not an issue. Personally, I have no need for assault weapons, but that's just me. A few handguns and faithful ol boxer seems to be enough.

Good point. Just simply taking away the guns is not the answer. It's worth noting that a lot of other countries have problems with mass bombings.....whether they have access to guns or not.

The method of evil is the not the answer. The evil is....

The problem is that guns are seen as answers for the weak and stupid.....not just the "mentally ill". People who are pathetic and can't deal with what life throws at them (A wise man once said that nobody ever decided to go on a shooting spree because they have too much sex in their lives) are the ones who sink to this depth.

It's also vastly unfair to assume that the pro-gun types are all just scared little boys terrified that a SCARY minority might wander within 10 miles of them.

The ones who do it for political reasons (foreign and domestic) should be dealt with as committing crimes against America (Yes...even the right-wing shooters)

The problem is that guns are seen as answers for the weak and stupid.....not just the "mentally ill". People who are pathetic and can't deal with what life throws at them (A wise man once said that nobody ever decided to go on a shooting spree because they have too much sex in their lives) are the ones who sink to this depth.

It's also vastly unfair to assume that the pro-gun types are all just scared little boys terrified that a SCARY minority might wander within 10 miles of them.

The ones who do it for political reasons (foreign and domestic) should be dealt with as committing crimes against America (Yes...even the right-wing shooters)
Opinions are like a&$holes. Yours means no more than anyone else. But judge mental mull heads like you are the worst of the worst.

Opinions are like a&$holes. Yours means no more than anyone else. But judge mental mull heads like you are the worst of the worst.

The problem with Ft. Campbell Cat doesn't understand. Who is going to willingly give up their guns to the gov't without a civil war. And do you think the military is going to support a socialist regime over the Constitution? It ain't happening. First time "Ft Campbell Cat" tries to take ANYONE'S guns away I f******* guarantee you that he will get his face blown off

The problem with Ft. Campbell Cat doesn't understand. Who is going to willingly give up their guns to the gov't without a civil war. And do you think the military is going to support a socialist regime over the Constitution? It ain't happening. First time "Ft Campbell Cat" tries to take ANYONE'S guns away I f******* guarantee you that he will get his face blown off

It’s a sore subject throughout the US, especially the South. The gub’ment has tried to take people’s guns away several times before......and its ended in war.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT