ADVERTISEMENT

What are Reasonable and Possible Solutions to Reduce Shootings (Schools and Venues)

Did som3one who is in charge pf "moderating" this board say the parkland 5 were pro 2a...and non partisan..?

That could be the single dumbest things ive ever read on this site.

We can stary with getting liberal idiots out of policy making positions. PARKLAND NEVER HAPPENS without liberal policies. PERIOD. Wahh..taking kids who commit crimes to jail is RACIST ..omgawdzzzz .. and look how fast that turned into slaughter. That policy doesnt exist, those kids are alive and well and liberals wouldnt have had their trendy talking points. Its almost as if they want school shootings.
I really think they welcome students getting gunned down.

Reactions: santamaria78
Take some time and look over this thread and it is easy to see why this is an escalating problem with no solution in site. Everyone is completely entrenched in their camp, completely secure in their belief that everyone on the other side is an idiot and the root cause of all problems while their side has the only real solution and the only thing holding them back is the power to make it all happen.

The reality is that the answer to this, and nearly all problems is not going to be found in the extremes. The only real solution to this was posted pretty early on. Allow the CDC (and the NIH) to actively start researching the problem to find an answer.

If you think that banning guns is going to solve this you are wrong. If you think that easy access to guns in this country isn't a part of the problem then you are wrong. Arming teachers may help or it might make it worse. Raising the age limits for purchasing guns might help, or it might make it worse. Both sides blame the media, but it differs between CNN and Fox depending on which side of the fence you sit on.

At this point every reason for why this is happening, and every solution that has been proposed is speculation. If we allow the best and brightest minds we have in this country to look at the problem I guarantee we will find some solutions going forward. And the only reason we are not allowing this to happen is because we still suffer from the very real problem of weak-willed, self-serving politicians bowing to the whims of lobbyists as opposed to representing the interests of the people they were elected by.

As I originally posed, it would apply to those weapons owners who leave them unlocked laying around the house. Obvious signs of breaking into a safe location would not constitute a felony on the gun owner. Don't know why you brought that situation up.

As for the hidden key, depends on how hidden. Laying in a desk drawer wouldn't be hidden to me. Under a floor board that isn't obvious loose probably would be But why not just carry the key with you? A combination lock would seal the deal in favor of the owner provided it require moving the dial off the opening location to engage.
A gun fir home defense is useless when it is locked up. You guys are loony toons

Well, maybe because that was one of the most important points. You want to ban AK style weapons even though this shooter used a shotgun. My point is, once you ban the AK , do you really believe you'll stop there?
Ah good ole slippery slope logical fallacy.

Can you explain why, given the context of why the founding fathers thought the 2nd amendment was extremely important to the survival of a Republic?
The courts have already ruled that there are limits on the 2nd amendment, just like with basically every other amendment. Hence why laws that have been passed that restrict gun ownership rights or the types of guns people can own have held up in court or have not even been picked to be heard in court.

If we allow the best and brightest minds we have in this country to look at the problem I guarantee we will find some solutions going forward.
Sorry, but Liberals are convinced they are the best & brightest minds & I don't want anything to do with what they would come with as solutions.

Reactions: warrior-cat
The courts have already ruled that there are limits on the 2nd amendment, just like with basically every other amendment. Hence why laws that have been passed that restrict gun ownership rights or the types of guns people can own have held up in court or have not even been picked to be heard in court.
That doesn't really answer the question. The reason we have the 2nd amendment is not because of hunting. We have it because the founding fathers distrusted government and they noticed that history suggested a population that cannot defend itself against the military was subject to being oppressed by its own government at some point. How would pistols and shotguns satisfy the concerns that the founding fathers had with respect to government?

Increased deficits and decreased educational and social programs don't seem to be helping much. But first let's create a laundry list of ideas so the wackos can focus on the one that's satisfies their political agenda.
Hypocrisy at its finest here. You waste no time with your attacks whenever something happens. Don't let a good crises go to waste right?

Reactions: FutureCityCats
Start holding the media accountable for glorifying these mental cases. Clearly they have serious mental issues. The next deranged idiot is out there plotting how to get his name on tv for days on end, they feel like a martyr.

I have to agree that glorifying it for days until the next tragedy comes along doesn't help. If some people can't die famous they will ensure they die infamous.

Don't know about major commentators on the left, but I'm sure you're right that there are some radical opinions out there that would compromise gun owners rights, but the Parkland kids have tried their best to keep this issue nonpartisan. In fact 2 of the 5 are Republicans and have guns in their family themselves.

FWIW: The courts say the Parkland kids’ agenda is largely compatible with the Second Amendment
But not completely compatible. Before you can seriously talk about any bans it must be understood what they are banning. Assault weapons or assault style weapons. Before any move is made this must be addressed and understood. Those wanting to ban any weapon must be educated on what it is they are banning. Just running around with knee jerk reactionitis will get nothing accomplished.

That doesn't really answer the question. The reason we have the 2nd amendment is not because of hunting. We have it because the founding fathers distrusted government and they noticed that history suggested a population that cannot defend itself against the military was subject to being oppressed by its own government at some point. How would pistols and shotguns satisfy the concerns that the founding fathers had with respect to government?
Then why am I not allowed to own bombs, missles, rocket launchers, etc.? Hell, why not even nuclear weapons? Best guns in the world aren't going to keep you sufficiently protected from what the government can use, we need the heavy duty shit so I can really protect myself!

Now see how stupid slippery slope arguments are?

Some, not all, criminals are able to be rehabilitated. Do you disagree?
Yes, one shot one kill. Second chance and then, no more for repeat offenders. If you get out because you were "rehabilitated" but go right back to what put you in there in the first place (Illegal dealings of any kind) no mercy. You just lost your freedom.

Reactions: FutureCityCats
A gun fir home defense is useless when it is locked up. You guys are loony toons

Which is why you would unlock it when you are home and your kids are under your supervision. Would anyone leave a "hidden" key to the liquor cabinet if their kids spent time alone at home? Of course not. Hell, when I was a senior in high school, my mom and dad took a Friday - Sunday trip on their own. They told me my mom's aunt would be staying with me. I said "I'll be fine by myself. My dad said "boy, do you think I'm stupid?" :D

Reactions: vhcat70
Then why am I not allowed to own bombs, missles, rocket launchers, etc.? Hell, why not even nuclear weapons? Best guns in the world aren't going to keep you sufficiently protected from what the government can use, we need the heavy duty shit so I can really protect myself!

Now see how stupid slippery slope arguments are?
Not sure it's a slippery slope argument. The questions wasn't about bombs, missiles, nuclear weapons, etc. The question was about pistols and shotguns and whether they would satisfy the concerns of the founding fathers. If you want to talk about bombs, missiles, nuclear weapons etc., we can do that after we sort out whether what you suggested for legal weaponry would satisfy the concerns that brought forth the 2nd amendment.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
I'm not surprised you don't know the difference between "arms" and "ordnance." (hint: one is protected by the 2A, the other isn't)
The point is the same. Having the best guns on the planet isn't going to do you much good when the government comes in with armored tanks, assault vehicles, bombs, missiles, etc.

True. So if you're not there, why does YOUR weapon need to be unlocked? And if you are there, why shouldn't you be in control of it at all times? "control" meaning you know where it is & no one else has access to it, but not necessarily locked up. Not having it in control doesn't get you arrested nor is it illegal, just that when someone takes advantage of your negligence are you liable criminally.

I mean if you have a pistol laying around and your 8 year old picks it up & shoots his 4 year old brother, you don't think the parent should be liable criminally?

The point is the same. Having the best guns on the planet isn't going to do you much good when the government comes in with armored tanks, assault vehicles, bombs, missiles, etc.
We would definitely be at a major disadvantage but your solution is to just give up? Walk into the boxcars like the Jews?

An 8 shot pump with a little distance allowing for a spread pattern would do a lot of damage.

There's nothing better for home defense. I have an 870 Remington and a .32 Charter Arms revolver that my mom's aunt gave me many years ago. It's a nice little revolver and a good fit for any hand, but in the highly unlikely event of someone breaking in while I'm home, guess which one I'm grabbing.

There's nothing better for home defense. I have an 870 Remington and a .32 Charter Arms revolver that my mom's aunt gave me many years ago. It's a nice little revolver and a good fit for any hand, but in the highly unlikely event of someone breaking in while I'm home, guess which one I'm grabbing.
Mossberg Flex 590 Tactical 12 gauge which actually will hold 8 and one in the chamber posted right next to my bed. Taurus 1911 style .45 under pillow so, I have my night time surprise always handy.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
ADVERTISEMENT