ADVERTISEMENT

What are Reasonable and Possible Solutions to Reduce Shootings (Schools and Venues)

College#19

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 2, 2011
At this point I don't think it is possible to completely eliminate these Shootings but is it possible to reduce them. I believe there is a statistic right now that states more people have been killed in the school shootings this year than soldiers in the Middle East. This seems a bit alarming.

I don't think banning guns is the answer. I am not even sure banning assault rifles is the solution because people that want them will get them and there are enough assault rifles owned by gun owners now that there are too many already in possession.

Is it time to require all public schools to have a Police Station on Campus. Maybe we need to reduce fire marshal rules and allow schools to have all doors locked at all times. I also think the Media could help by not providing as much attention to the events.

Something has to change because the shootings are out of control.

1. To reduce shootings in general, start locking up violent repeat offenders. The vast majority of shootings in this country are by repeat offenders. ( This would have no effect on school shootings)

2. For school shootings, why not install bullet proof doors to each classroom that could be locked down during an episode. And each school should have at least one armed police officer.

I posted the following on the political thread Friday & didn't get much action:

"With the Santa Fe School shootings in mind, tell me why this thought on weapons is wrong:
If someone in your household or someone with ready access to your house, e.g., has a key, obtains a weapon you own from your house that didn't require breaking into a secure storage case, and uses it in the commission of a felony, that that usage becomes a felony crime for you with dire consequences when convicted. Thanks."

Why not? Seems to me that a lot of these shootings are by guys with their parent's gun(s). Owners need to be held responsible/accountable imo. No one says you can't leave them laying around, but it's on you (too) if someone uses them illegally after you were irresponsible (imo) with them,.

"With the Santa Fe School shootings in mind, tell me why this thought on weapons is wrong:
If someone in your household or someone with ready access to your house, e.g., has a key, obtains a weapon you own from your house that didn't require breaking into a secure storage case, and uses it in the commission of a felony, that that usage becomes a felony crime for you with dire consequences when convicted. Thanks."

Why not? Seems to me that a lot of these shootings are by guys with their parent's gun(s). Owners need to be held responsible/accountable imo. No one says you can't leave them laying around, but it's on you (too) if someone uses them illegally after you were irresponsible (imo) with them,.
Again, you are blaming someone for the actions of another. Maybe they could be held accountable civilly but no s felony.

That's a good point, right now no one is responsible. I support the rights of responsible gun owners but we, as gun owners, have to be that - responsible.

I think it's important to have clarity in this national discussion, and first and foremost the vast majority of those advocating reform to gun laws are also in support of the 2nd Amendment - that includes the Parkland students whose tweets I follow. The 5 point plan they advocate is consistent with the 2nd Amendment and federal law including the SCOTUS ruling in Heller v. DC.

One of those points, which doesn't get much discussion is the so-called red flag laws that gives law enforcement the authority to temporarily interdict and confiscate guns of someone who is exhibiting signs or articulating a desire to perform a mass shooting. Those in the state are probably more familiar then me but I recall reading about a high school in Lexington that recently prevented a mass shooting by using that type of law.

Mental health, school security and other non-gun issues are also important components of an overall approach. We need to look at everything.

The bottom line is we as a country can do a much better job than we are in protecting the kids. God helps us all if we simply surrender to the notion of a mass school shooting every month as status quo.

I don't know the answer, because we're really just guessing. We need to allow the CDC to study gun violence without restriction. Their recommendations and data will be very useful to an informed discussion.

Reactions: mktmaker
I think it's important to have clarity in this national discussion, and first and foremost the vast majority of those advocating reform to gun laws are also in support of the 2nd Amendment - that includes the Parkland students whose tweets I follow. The 5 point plan they advocate is consistent with the 2nd Amendment and federal law including the SCOTUS ruling in Heller v. DC.

One of those points, which doesn't get much discussion is the so-called red flag laws that gives law enforcement the authority to temporarily interdict and confiscate guns of someone who is exhibiting signs or articulating a desire to perform a mass shooting. Those in the state are probably more familiar then me but I recall reading about a high school in Lexington that recently prevented a mass shooting by using that type of law.

Mental health, school security and other non-gun issues are also important components of an overall approach. We need to look at everything.

The bottom line is we as a country can do a much better job than we are in protecting the kids. God helps us all if we simply surrender to the notion of a mass school shooting every month as status quo.
Very well thought-out post.

Reactions: Deeeefense
There is no way to stop these pathetic losers. Only way to avoid school shootings is to be home schooled.

Stop covering it so much. Seriously. Before 24 hour news and constant nonstop social media and information on tap how often did these kinds of shootings happen? Growing up in the 70s and 80s I hardly ever heard about em. Nowadays you kill a bunch of people and the media talks about you for a week. When Columbine happened in 1999 the internet and media coverage of events was taking off. Now everything is instant. These people know they’ll be “famous”. A lot of these shooters never got much attention or were social outcasts, didn’t really feel a part of society. They’d rather be known and famous for something awful than feel like they’re not important at all. Stop covering it so much.

And lock all the mental crazies in a building together somewhere in Ecuador or something.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I wish I had an answer. But I will never support metal detectors in schools, that is most definitely not the answer. Might as well turn our schools into high-security prisons.

Heard Hannity suggest, and I thought it was a great idea, having retired military, concealed carry folks, etc. volunteer for a few hours each day to supplement the resource officer. Their payment would be to get their taxes greatly reduced or canceled all together. He thought people would line up around the corner for that type of program.

- Public school dress codes. Lenient but no trench coats or bags larger than a backpack.

- Design and retrofit schools with only one entry point but multiple exits points that can't be entered. Exit door in each classroom perhaps. Same with the gymnasium.

Single point entry, metal detectors, armed guard(s) depending on # of students. Then you have to figure out how to protect everyone from being ambushed outside.
I assume there would be multiple exits despite only one entryway? If not, blatant fire code violation.

Hell yea. Let’s hold law abiding people accountable while letting the FBI, local law enforcement, judges for not acting on known problems with these kids. You GD Libs always wanting to blame people that obey the law while letting those more to blame skate free

It’s not just a gun problem. It’s a broken society problem. Since when did it become an option to shoot up your school when you have issues of rejection, or anger, or hopelessness? Something is broken in society but nobody ever really wants to addresss this.
Lack of parenting. Little Johnny has to have participation trophy, kids are not taught how to deal with rejection and deal with adversity. Everything handed to them.

The dress code idea, while it may be seen as a simplistic idea and won't solve the problem, is a good idea that gets at a number of issues.

I wish I had an answer. But I will never support metal detectors in schools, that is most definitely not the answer. Might as well turn our schools into high-security prisons.
This is absolutely ridiculous. We have metal detectors at ball games, airports, courthouses, everywhere. But putting them in a place to protect our kids makes it a prison? Is that thought worse than children actually dying???

Last edited:
Really going to take a multifaceted approach that focus on treating both causes and symptoms. This isn't a disease that you can just create a cure for to eradicate, so you have to treat the symptoms because the symptoms will always be there. So some of the stuff like single entry way for schools would help here, but that's just like giving someone Tylenol to treat the headache when the real problem is a sinus infection. But treating symptoms never fixes anything, it just makes things suck a little less, and that's why you need to do things that get to the root cause. Whatever is done will never fix it, but it can have a much more profound impact than merely treating symptoms.

A few of the general things I think need to be done are below.
  • Gun law reforms - background checks, cracking down on private gun sales in some capacity, illegialization of assault weapons and and high capacity, quick-firing guns (sorry if my terminology is wrong, I'm not a gun guy). People who want to kill will always find a way, that doesn't mean we shouldn't do things to limit the amount of damage or to make it more difficult.
  • General law reforms - such as repeat offender stuff as someone else mentioned, for one example,
  • Reformation of the criminal justice system - Includes better enforcing the laws on the books. But we need a much greater emphasis on rehabilitation, instead of just simple punishment, so when people are released they are better able to be productive members of society. Ex-convicts generally have an extremely difficult time reintigrating into society, and by not equipping them with the education and skills to be a productive member of society, they'll resort to the more profitable elements of criminal society to get on their feet financially, and those elements are society are the most violent even though they don't get the mass shooting headlines
  • Greater investment in mental illness treatment - which would involve better educating people how to identify behaviors that would indicate potentially violent tendencies. If we know that behaviors A, B, and C are warning signs of potential violent future behaviors, we could let someone know that is in a position of power that can potentially help
  • Better parenting and education - people can be just absolutely shitty to each other, and it seems normally when you hear about a mass shooting, it's the shooter responding to a group of people being complete assholes to them or because they have ignorant and irrational hate towards a group of people because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. Parents and other supervisors and role models need to do a better job teaching children how to be good human beings and they need to do a better job listening and observing the children to see warning signs of when things are starting to get dicey. Most of these people don't just wake up one morning and go "screw it, I'm going to go shoot up my school." It's a process that we continually fail to ignore and just dismiss odd behavior as odd behavior instead of what it is, warning signs.
  • Politicians, media, and other people of influence of all political/belief spectrums need to start behaving and acting like adults whose actions and words can have vast implications on society instead of petulant children spouting out divisive and hate-filled agendas that incite and encourage the worst elements of society. Particiularly with the politicians, they need to start taking real action to solve the problem instead of issuing toothless thoughts, prayers, edicts, and statements about how they will look to fix the problems while doing nothing and continually allowing the NRA to buy their favor with campaign donations.

metal detectors will not stop a shooter they just start shooting when they reach the detector.
It limits the amount of real estate they can target though. Saying we shouldn't do something because it won't 100% stop a criminal behavior is one of the reasons why we are where we are as a society. Isn't something that can potentially help reduce the damage better than doing nothing at all? That's like having the flu and saying since taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen won't cure it the flu, there's no point in taking it even though it can help reduce your fever and reduce how much all the other symptoms just royally suck.

I question the parents. Are you engaged in your kids life when he responds to getting rejected with f’n killin someone?

Some kids are just bad, parents need to be more proactive that their child is a psycho.
How about we hold the parents responsible as well? If they didn't leave their guns laying around we wouldn't have as many shootings

Last edited:
Reactions: mktmaker and JDHoss
In addition to some of the ideas listed above, I am now in favor of allowing some teachers to be armed. Certainly there would need to be some very tightly controlled criteria and training, but if a shooter gets past the perimeter security, there needs to be some resistance. Hoping a door lock will protect students and teachers isn't enough.

I think it's important to have clarity in this national discussion, and first and foremost the vast majority of those advocating reform to gun laws are also in support of the 2nd Amendment

No NO, Hell NO! They are most certainly NOT in support of the 2nd Amendment. What part of "SHALL not be infringed" do you not understand? You libidiots pour oil all over the slope and then assure us it's not slippery.

find a genie that grants u 3 wishes wish for all guns to vanish then make him promise no guns will ever be built then wish for a billion dollars

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Really going to take a multifaceted approach that focus on treating both causes and symptoms. This isn't a disease that you can just create a cure for to eradicate, so you have to treat the symptoms because the symptoms will always be there. So some of the stuff like single entry way for schools would help here, but that's just like giving someone Tylenol to treat the headache when the real problem is a sinus infection. But treating symptoms never fixes anything, it just makes things suck a little less, and that's why you need to do things that get to the root cause. Whatever is done will never fix it, but it can have a much more profound impact than merely treating symptoms.

A few of the general things I think need to be done are below.
  • Gun law reforms - background checks, cracking down on private gun sales in some capacity, illegialization of assault weapons and and high capacity, quick-firing guns (sorry if my terminology is wrong, I'm not a gun guy). People who want to kill will always find a way, that doesn't mean we shouldn't do things to limit the amount of damage or to make it more difficult.
  • General law reforms - such as repeat offender stuff as someone else mentioned, for one example,
  • Reformation of the criminal justice system - Includes better enforcing the laws on the books. But we need a much greater emphasis on rehabilitation, instead of just simple punishment, so when people are released they are better able to be productive members of society. Ex-convicts generally have an extremely difficult time reintigrating into society, and by not equipping them with the education and skills to be a productive member of society, they'll resort to the more profitable elements of criminal society to get on their feet financially, and those elements are society are the most violent even though they don't get the mass shooting headlines
  • Greater investment in mental illness treatment - which would involve better educating people how to identify behaviors that would indicate potentially violent tendencies. If we know that behaviors A, B, and C are warning signs of potential violent future behaviors, we could let someone know that is in a position of power that can potentially help
  • Better parenting and education - people can be just absolutely shitty to each other, and it seems normally when you hear about a mass shooting, it's the shooter responding to a group of people being complete assholes to them or because they have ignorant and irrational hate towards a group of people because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. Parents and other supervisors and role models need to do a better job teaching children how to be good human beings and they need to do a better job listening and observing the children to see warning signs of when things are starting to get dicey. Most of these people don't just wake up one morning and go "screw it, I'm going to go shoot up my school." It's a process that we continually fail to ignore and just dismiss odd behavior as odd behavior instead of what it is, warning signs.
  • Politicians, media, and other people of influence of all political/belief spectrums need to start behaving and acting like adults whose actions and words can have vast implications on society instead of petulant children spouting out divisive and hate-filled agendas that incite and encourage the worst elements of society. Particiularly with the politicians, they need to start taking real action to solve the problem instead of issuing toothless thoughts, prayers, edicts, and statements about how they will look to fix the problems while doing nothing and continually allowing the NRA to buy their favor with campaign donations.
Take people’s guns and dismantle the NRA. Gotcha

Single point entry, metal detectors, armed guard(s) depending on # of students. Then you have to figure out how to protect everyone from being ambushed outside.
Single-point entry with an armed guard would eliminate the problem of the mass at the entry point. The armed guard could be ready if someone started shooting at the masses there and take them out quickly.

Reactions: FutureCityCats
Not all guns. I'm ok with people having handguns and guns for hunting, but owning guns like an AK-47, for one example, shouldn't be allowed.

The kid in Texas used an illegal shotgun and pistol. He had pipe bombs and pressure cookers bombs that can be constructed from the internet.
Banning one type of weapon doesn’t solve the issues. We always tend to forget the causes and go after the low hanging fruit only.

People determined to kill will likely kill. And use whatever they can.

ADVERTISEMENT