ADVERTISEMENT

What’s going to be different next season?

I think next year will be a reboot year. Imagine if we didn’t have Travis this year. I expect Cal to go after some grad transfers again to work with the new kids coming in. We have to have that sort of leadership to get where we want to be. If he can’t find someone, then it could be a long year as the SEC is expected to be even tougher next year.

We should only lose four guys. Washington, Herro, and Johnson are first rounders and Travis is out of eligibility.

Hagans really could improve his stock by returning. Montgomery as well.

Richards, Quickley, and Baker seem like no brainers to return.

Maxey is a stud. Whitney is top 10 as well. Brooks is top 25-30 or so.

Cal probably adds another player or two (at least Sestina, I would think).

Should be a contender again.

I think next year will be a reboot year. Imagine if we didn’t have Travis this year. I expect Cal to go after some grad transfers again to work with the new kids coming in. We have to have that sort of leadership to get where we want to be. If he can’t find someone, then it could be a long year as the SEC is expected to be even tougher next year.
SEC got 7 in this year.
How many will be stronger next season.
Which of the 7 that didn't make it will make it next year?
I think we will be just as strong against the SEC field as we were this season.

Hate to say it, but next year will probably be similar to 15’-16’. I hope I’m wrong, but just feels like it’s going to happen. We’ll lose a lot more than what we thought, have a few good recruits coming in, but basically try to fill the roster with random players, have no inside game, and have a mediocre regular season.

Well, we are at a crossroads now with this. Cal needs do some self reflection, and decide if he’s working for the University that pays him a King’s Ransom, and be honest with these kids about returning, and building a contender , or continue to pad his draftee stats, and slowly lose some of the fan base.

Good post without unnecessary verbiage.

Reactions: TFCats11
Pray K retires so we can start getting top 5 talent again
Why K couldn't win with all those talented freshmen. I don't think going with 70% of more of your scoring etc from freshmen will win you a title unless you get that one special group like 2012 that was willing to sacrifice for the good of the team to win and they still had the best role player in Miller who could step in at multiple positions and be a positive factor.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I've basically given up thinking that Cal will coach an offense or manage game strategy so I see more of the same next year.

We were one foul called on Auburn away from the final four so not too much has to change. The tournament is purely luck so the days of guaranteeing a title are done. Duke had 3 top 4 picks and didnt make the final four. Texas tech, Auburn and Virginia in final four? Lol shows the parity in basketball.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I love cal don’t get me wrong, but there are 3 things that nag me and I know I’m not alone here.

1. He never tries to get kids to come back for another year even if he knows they aren’t close to being ready for the nba. I know he wants to see them live out their dreams and take care of their families, but that first contact is as good as spent. They need to be able to stay there. The Dejuan Wagner situation obviously changed the way he thinks when speaking to players after the season is over.

2. In game adjustments such as a zone. He’s set in his ways and nothing will ever change his mind

3. Stall ball when we think we have the game won. Exhibit A. Wisconsin 2015 amongst others. When we get to that 7-8 minute mark in the second half and it seems like we have the game in hand we literally run the shot clock all the way down and take a useless shot because we have no choice. Keep the pressure on and keep dictating the tempo it’s worked all game, why change it? I could understand if there is only a minute or two left but stall ball literally starts with too much time left in the game and as we have seen these kids are mainly freshman that make poor decisions in those situations.

I love cal don’t get me wrong, but there are 3 things that nag me and I know I’m not alone here.

1. He never tries to get kids to come back for another year even if he knows they aren’t close to being ready for the nba. I know he wants to see them live out their dreams and take care of their families, but that first contact is as good as spent. They need to be able to stay there. The Dejuan Wagner situation obviously changed the way he thinks when speaking to players after the season is over.

2. In game adjustments such as a zone. He’s set in his ways and nothing will ever change his mind

3. Stall ball when we think we have the game won. Exhibit A. Wisconsin 2015 amongst others. When we get to that 7-8 minute mark in the second half and it seems like we have the game in hand we literally run the shot clock all the way down and take a useless shot because we have no choice. Keep the pressure on and keep dictating the tempo it’s worked all game, why change it? I could understand if there is only a minute or two left but stall ball literally starts with too much time left in the game and as we have seen these kids are mainly freshman that make poor decisions in those situations.

I guess we all have an opinion so here’s my take on your 3 items. First, no, I don’t think he forces kids to stay, I think he gives an opinion and leaves it like that. If they think differently I’m sure he doesn’t push like some other coaches do. 2nd, he’s explained that with the time issues it’s quicker and easier to teach freshmen man to man defense instead of zone. 3rd, he is dealing with freshmen who are trying to do things in tight games where experience would really help in game decisions. In the Wisconsin game we made 5 straight bad decisions that ended up being turnovers that turned the tide in that game. We kind of fell apart but it wasn’t from stall tactics just bad judgement decisions. But like you it’s jmo.

I guess we all have an opinion so here’s my take on your 3 items. First, no, I don’t think he forces kids to stay, I think he gives an opinion and leaves it like that. If they think differently I’m sure he doesn’t push like some other coaches do. 2nd, he’s explained that with the time issues it’s quicker and easier to teach freshmen man to man defense instead of zone. 3rd, he is dealing with freshmen who are trying to do things in tight games where experience would really help in game decisions. In the Wisconsin game we made 5 straight bad decisions that ended up being turnovers that turned the tide in that game. We kind of fell apart but it wasn’t from stall tactics just bad judgement decisions. But like you it’s jmo.
tenor.gif

More returning talent than last year. Hagans/IQ/EJ/Nick/Sestina are a better group than PJ/RT/Nick/Baker. Our best teams under Cal had some returning experience.

Kentucky got hosed on several games. And that will never quite go away. But I highly doubt we lose games like LSU/Tenn in the fashion we did. Kentucky was very unlucky last year, had almost nothing go their way.

Finally the field is down this year. There's no Zion or RJ type recruits. Powerhouses don't look great. Aside from MSU, no great returning talent on any one team.

Reactions: MbergCat
There's about 25 of the worst posters I've ever seen on Raftards over the years posting their whiny gloom and doom ignorance in this post. If Cal is so bad and we're never gonna win another game why in hell don't you go root for Dook or UL? I swear you are embarrassing yourselves.

There's about 25 of the worst posters I've ever seen on Raftards over the years posting their whiny gloom and doom ignorance in this post. If Cal is so bad and we're never gonna win another game why in hell don't you go root for Dook or UL? I swear you are embarrassing yourselves.
Clod is alive and well my friend. They live for the final loss of the season. If you notice, the founders of clod have the most likes in each post in this thread. In my post, I wasn’t bashing nor hating cal, because I worship the mans entire catalog. I just wish he would tweak a couple things.

Trust in Cal. Best record in college basketball last 10 years.

What will be different? We’ll have tons more athleticism. More depth too. The possibility of a lineup with 5 decent-to-great three point shooters. We didn’t have that last year.

Reactions: kl40504
What is funny is the we are doing it the right way, making millionaires and not retaining players, are the first to admit they did not watch the final four. They argue continuity does not matter. Yeah.

Maybe the biggest difference is you won't have pj bricking free throws in the tourney. However you will probably have someone else
Maybe the most consistent trait of Cal's teams is the poor free throw shooting in the NCAAT. On paper this next team looks like they may struggle shooting the ball anyway.

W2B I generally like your takes but I disagree with number 1. I think Cal has tried top persuade several kids to come back that did not listen to him. Why would he push a kid out the door that is going to fail. D Johnson for example. I just don't think he publicly says, " Man, I told I Briscoe he wasn't going to get drafted and he should come back, but he is hardheaded and has ridiculous idea that he can be successful.

W2B I generally like your takes but I disagree with number 1. I think Cal has tried top persuade several kids to come back that did not listen to him. Why would he push a kid out the door that is going to fail. D Johnson for example. I just don't think he publicly says, " Man, I told I Briscoe he wasn't going to get drafted and he should come back, but he is hardheaded and has ridiculous idea that he can be successful.
Very true, could be the case. I just remember watching that one and not done with the Wagner situation. If cal wouldn’t of made him go he wouldn’t of been able to make some type of money for his family before finding out about his health concerns. Had he came back to Memphis nobody drafts him. I maybe wrong I’m just trying to think like cal would

Reactions: JC CATS
yep...this thread should be pinned
we all post sometimes on emotion and say things that are stupid...but most ot of these are not that...

What is funny is the we are doing it the right way, making millionaires and not retaining players, are the first to admit they did not watch the final four. They argue continuity does not matter. Yeah.
Cal has most total wins, most NCAA tournament wins and most final fours in the last ten years. You should be a Louisville fan. You fit in much better with their negative attitude. Do you want Cal to recruit 2 and 3 stars and have them stay 4 years like EKU and Morehead State? We might even make an NIT every so often. You are sick.

No.

You should expect more from the gold standard.
We should expect you to be a more intelligent poster. I guess that is not possible. If you want kids to stay 4 years go pull for EKU and Morehead State. They have that continuity you desire. Oh wait, how many final fours or maybe better yet how many NCAA tournaments have they made the last 10 years. The continuity is that your stupidity continues to show in each message you post.

No.

I think Cal hurt himself with all the grandiose lines.

We're the gold standard, we are college basketball, etc. He was talking about 40-0 seasons and catching UCLA.

In 2015 we seemed set to conquer the world. It's taken a step back the last few years.

I was 21 when Cal got here, and I believed in a sort of UK Manifest Destiny. At 31, I get it.

Wins and losses are razor thin in the NCAA tournament. It's so random. Auburn should have lost in the 1st round. Then they go on to shoot the lights out. They have Virginia beat and lose with some questionable calls down the stretch.

The reality is--you can't control it. You put yourself in the best position you can. And you live with the results.

Over a 10 year stretch, we've excelled. 3 teams have a second title. But we've got more wins and final 4's. We just haven't always finished the deal.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Cal has most total wins, most NCAA tournament wins and most final fours in the last ten years. You should be a Louisville fan. You fit in much better with their negative attitude. Do you want Cal to recruit 2 and 3 stars and have them stay 4 years like EKU and Morehead State? We might even make an NIT every so often. You are sick.

Again a personal attack. See ya.

Maybe the most consistent trait of Cal's teams is the poor free throw shooting in the NCAAT. On paper this next team looks like they may struggle shooting the ball anyway.

I’d say a more consistent trait of Cals would be winning at a very high rate? After all, he is the winningest coach the last 10 years.

No.

This doesn’t make much sense, which is surprising because you usually post soundly.
Name 3 alternative options for a coach that we could feasibly get. You think we should fire Cal and... hire who exactly? Honestly curious.

“The gold standard” went two decades before our next title in 96 then went well over a decade (almost 2 decades) until our next one (2012)

We have eight titles in like 100 years.

Cal is responsible for more than half of our overall final fours. Over half. Of. Our. Final. Fours... since the 1960’s.

Literally the winningest coach the last 10 years.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT