ADVERTISEMENT

What’s all the Christian talk?

Jesus loves everybody and God probably isn't running some algorithm to see which basketball team worships them enough/best to cheer for the one over the other.

Horrendous things happen to the finest people and the worst folks can breeze through the world with little to no resistance.

Either it doesn't matter or God isn't ALL THAT enamored with our prospect.
I was making light of the post.....ironical if you will.

I think 99% of non-Christians would agree that starting every team activity with a prayer is trying to shove it down your throat. Having your basketball coaching philosophy be JOY (Jesus, Others, Yourself) is shoving it down the team's throat. You can teach the team humility, self-sacrifice, persistence, confidence, etc. all you want, but when you start saying the only way to achieve those things is through Christ, that's where the problem lies.

You can want people love God back all you want, just do it in your own home or at Church or whatever. Don't start getting in front of people and constantly telling them they need to love God back.

Saying "From a Christian POV" means nothing. Plenty of people do crazy stuff all the time in the name of their religion, and from their POV they're doing nothing wrong. So while it might not seem like you're shoving it down other people's throats, it certainly feels like you are to the people you're trying to preach to.
"I think 99% of non-Christians would agree that starting every team activity with a prayer is trying to shove it down your throat. Having your basketball coaching philosophy be JOY (Jesus, Others, Yourself) is shoving it down the team's throat."

---If you don't like it, then don't come play for him. Is a basketball coach not allowed to live out his convictions in the public sphere?

"You can teach the team humility, self-sacrifice, persistence, confidence, etc. all you want, but when you start saying the only way to achieve those things is through Christ, that's where the problem lies."

---The only way you can teach humility, self-sacrifice, persistence, confidence, etc. is by teaching from a worldview that is theological, and if one holds to the teachings of the Bible, Christianity is the only way to teach those things, because Christ is the embodiment of the full reality of those things.

"You can want people love God back all you want, just do it in your own home or at Church or whatever. Don't start getting in front of people and constantly telling them they need to love God back."

---You can want people to not love God back all you want, just do it in your own home or wherever. Don't get on message boards and constantly tell people they shouldn't love God in the way that they do.

Saying "From a Christian POV" means nothing. Plenty of people do crazy stuff all the time in the name of their religion, and from their POV they're doing nothing wrong. So while it might not seem like you're shoving it down other people's throats, it certainly feels like you are to the people you're trying to preach to.

---Who says "shoving it down other people's throats" is wrong? If you are sick and a doctor has the remedy for your sickness, even if you don't believe in the doctor or the remedy and refuse to receive it, the best thing for that doctor to do is shove it down your throat.

I'm assuming you have an agnostic/atheistic worldview here, and if so, who determines what's right or wrong? There's no such thing as right or wrong in a world without a Supreme Being and Lawgiver.

Last edited:
Those without sin cast the first stone nice biblical statement 👌

Not true! You just have to be good at basketball for them to accept you. 😉

Yeah, Baylor's not a Christian University:

Shame on JK Rowling

Did Cal explicitly preach to his team, try to convince them to accept Christ, and start every team meeting with a prayer? It's not that Drew is religious. It's that he requires his entire team to follow him.

I doubt you are correct in your accusation. That said, my son had a philosophy teacher at UK who on day one told his class there was no God and if you believed in God, you probably were not going to do well in his class.

Seems the university should be big enough for all perspectives.

Easy enough litmus test for this one.

Sub in Allah for Jesus in all of Drew’s quotes. Still ok?
AMOY. Allah, Mohammed, Others, Yourself. Sounds good to me.

And let’s be real here, folks. He isn’t going to exist on an island. We know there are rumors that Mitch Barnhart has sometimes made decisions based more on his faith than what was best for the university, and there is certainly the worry that he is prioritizing Drew for exactly that reason. Then you add that part of Drew’s coaching philosophy (more like a life philosophy but he uses it coaching and that’s the issue) is about coming to Jesus and his statement that seeing players accept Jesus is more exciting to him than winning games. This is a guy who frequently spoke about how happy he was at a Christian university because preaching could openly be part of his job as a coach. Finally, our biggest donor and the guy whose plane has been flying Drew and family around, is married to a Christian nationalist with political aspirations.

All that? In combination? Yeah, it’s a little worrying to someone who just wants to watch basketball. After all, at least half this forum was rabidly against kneeling and ESPN being too woke and political. And hell, I’ll give him Easter to talk about Jesus, and he can kneel once a season and wear a rainbow for Pride. I just don’t want any of that to be part of the daily coaching. I’d rather focus be on sport than activism (of any variety).

Reactions: Stan the caddy
unfortunately, it has never been cool to be religious. That is until a crisis happens. The churches were full after 911, but once that was not the main topic, church attendance shrank.
Like the old saying...."There are no atheists in foxholes"

Fact he is such a devout Christian is honestly one of thi gs making me start to warm up to the Idea of Drew as coach .

I doubt you are correct in your accusation. That said, my son had a philosophy teacher at UK who on day one told his class there was no God and if you believed in God, you probably were not going to do well in his class.

Seems the university should be big enough for all perspectives.
I’ve heard numerous stories like this. Seems as though the “higher learning” institutions in this country have become indoctrination cesspools. So much so that I won’t be pushing my kids toward a college education like so many adults did when I was a kid. “You better believe what I believe or you’ll get a bad grade in my class” should be a fireable offense, especially in a philosophy class. JMO.

UK is a public university and open displays of Christianity will be met with protest. This could be a problem and I doubt Drew would cease practicing/preaching his faith.
Now, if he was a trans, everything would be just fine

This is more context from another article:

I dont know, to me a coach shouldn't be preaching that heavily to players. I don't give a crap if the guys on the team "accept Christ" I just want them to be good people and win games. And you don't need to accept Christ to be a good person. It's just too heavy handed to me, especially at a public university.
But, you need to accept Christ if you want to spend eternity in heaven. Drew is doing is what was told for us to do, "go forth and preach the gospel to all people baptizing them in the name of the Father and Jesus Christ His son." Drew is doing the "stuff".

I guess I avoid this forum most of the time, but it must have been a shatstorm when Oscar was giving his press conferences. 😆

I also don’t know how many people here played sports, but is the idea that Drew is on some coach’s island when it comes to faith and prayer before a game? If people are coming to Christ because of the example of a coach, it is unlikely that the coach is shoving it down their throats. It is more likely that he is living a trusting life and living the way he is commanded to live.

If I was still an atheist/agnostic, I would prefer my sons be coached by a true believer, someone who would put them before self. That is hard to fake in the context of a basketball team. I hope Drew is who he says he is.

UK is a public university and open displays of Christianity will be met with protest. This could be a problem and I doubt Drew would cease practicing/preaching his faith.
Now, if he was a trans, everything would be just fine
But if its Hurley, it would be okay. He's also pretty outspoken. #sarcasm

Last edited:
Reactions: BBNinSC
a “souls first” coach.
Sounds like the new version of “my first priority is these kids and creating generational wealth”

If Drew stars to define his priority or his ultimate measure of success as preaching the gospel then we will have a big problem.

I doubt this will me the case

Reactions: blubo
When I read some of these takes on Christianity it is obvious that so many people have no concept of what it means to follow Christ. Scott Drew is called to profess his faith. He is not going to bludgeon people with it, but he is going to proudly state his personal beliefs. Being a follower of Christ doesn't mean that you can't and don't associate with those who are not followers. It is actually quite the opposite. He is not going to bite others who don't believe.

Moot point I suppose, but we dodged a bullet. Last thing this program needs is a thumper at the helm.

Anybody have a list of the best Atheist coaches available. Apparently, that's a primary consideration for a portion of our fan base.

Reactions: wkycatfan
The problem with Drew is that none of that is a priority to him (except the treating the fanbase with respect thing). He's stated that. His #1 priority is to preach the word of Jesus to his team and put them on a road to get into heaven. The actual basketball is secondary.

That's every Christian's first priority. Sorry. Everything is tertiary to that

There's a chance to get a guy that had to rebuild a program that had the nastiest mess in history (unless you think murder is okay) and built a winner. With a goal of an improved life.

Likely the same crew that doesn't want Pearl because he's Jewish.

This is gone crazy.

Pearl is Jewish?! Had no clue. Never would have guessed that

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT