ADVERTISEMENT

The Greatest Day in KHSAA History?

FtWorthCat

Senior
Aug 21, 2001
Ft. Worth, TX
If we get a Lyon County vs Harlan County Sweet 16 Championship Game tonight, it will be today.

Not knocking Great Crossing, they are an extremely talented group, from a public high school right outside Georgetown. They will be a worthy champion if they win it.

Evangel Christian seems kind of shady to me. A private school with only 37 students, with at least five of them 6'5" and above according to the S16 program. It isn't a new school. They've been around since 1977 as I understand it, and I'm sure they are a good group of kids as well.

But it would be a Hollywood story if two rural schools from opposite ends of the state went on runs to meet in the championship.

Lyon has three Seniors who have played varsity basketball at Lyon County since they were in the 7th grade.
They have a talented Junior whose family is also well established in Eddyville. This is a school of 293 students that doesn't have a football team. They are not a group of kids that were recruited.

They didn't transfer to Link Academy in Branson, MO, ala Jasper Johnson, they stayed together to make this run together. Their community and all of far western Kentucky (where I'm from) is going bonkers following them. Does anyone in Versailles/Woodford County care how Link Academy did this season? Woodford County might be playing today if Jasper had stayed.

I'm sure Harlan County has a cool back story as well. They should do lay up drills to "Harlan County Line" by Dave Alvin.

Go Lyon! Go Harlan!

Last edited:
If we get a Lyon County vs Harlan County Sweet 16 Championship Game tonight, it will be today.

Not knocking Great Crossing, they are an extremely talented group, from a public high school right outside Georgetown. But, Evangel Christian seems kind of shady to me. A private school with only 37 students, with at least five of them 6'5" and above according to the S16 program.

Lyon has three Seniors who have played varsity basketball at Lyon County since they were in the 7th grade.
They have a talented Junior whose family is also well established in Eddyville as well. This is a school of 293 students that doesn't have a football team. They are not a group of kids that were recruited.

They didn't transfer to Link Academy in Branson, MO, ala Jasper Johnson, they stayed together to make this run together. Their community and all of far western Kentucky (where I'm from) is going bonkers following them. Does anyone in Versailles/Woodford County care how Link Academy did this season? Woodford County might be playing today if Jasper had stayed.

I'm sure Harlan County has a similar back story. Go Lyon! Go Harlan!

This has been an outstanding tournament that you guys have this season and I been following it very close. I have been telling people up here that there is nothing like playing for your local high school and these "prep schools" just don't produce the excitement that a kid can receive from representing his local high school.

Yes, that's pretty good. Thanks for the laugh, Rafterman.

I'm sure Evangel will win it over GC, because that's the way the world works. There are no fairy tales.

"But dreamin' just comes natural." - John Prine

Last edited:
This has been an outstanding tournament that you guys have this season and I been following it very close. I have been telling people up here that there is nothing like playing for your local high school and these "prep schools" just don't produce the excitement that a kid can receive from representing his local high school.

Just to be clear, I'm not from Lyon County. I'm from Paducah, but live in Texas. I just have jumped on Lyon County's bandwagon these last few years. The Sweet 16 in Lexington is one of the coolest events I ever attended.

Yes, youth basketball is inevitably going toward more of these Academy/basketball factory type arrangements. Runs like today for these little country schools are a thing of the past already. But maybe not today.

Reactions: TheShadow1087
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT