ADVERTISEMENT

Let's be realistic for a moment.

Firewalker_

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 1, 2003
In this new culture we have found ourselves in for the last 5-6 years with open portals and NIL money, I would think that is would be very hard to get
these new HS players to buy in and come to a Morman Christian College with very little NIL. It looks like Mark Pope took the ones he could get and made
them competitive. I love his style of play. Reminds me of someone else a few years ago

We have been screaming for a coach who could make adjustments during the game ,did not talk down to the fan base, did not put the NBA as his priority,
and was a just over all better person.

The problem that I see is this. Calipari is a horrible coach with a narcisstic personality, but the best recruiter out there. The problem will be...can Mark Pope
get the players to come here. It probably won't be 5 stars but we may get to keep them for more than a year and get to know the players again. If he can coach
with better players than he had, he can be successful. We need to stand by our new coach at the beginning for sure to let him go to work knowing he has Big
Blue Nation sup[porting him.

Pope checks a lot of the boxes most people wanted.

He won't recruit like Cal, but no one does, except maybe Duke.

He has he can get good players and coach them up and keep them around.

I'll take the #10 recruiting class that the majority stay 2-3 years over what we've had lately.

Pope may not bring in many 5 stars but that's not all that matters. What matters is having a good system and bringing in the type of players that excel in it. I think he will get much better talent that still fits his system than he did at BYU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT