ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe What Pisses Me Off The Most...

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011
Is the roster building.

We had real, serious odds to land transfers these past 2 years that is seems we barely even tried on.

And I am sitting here watching those guys deep in the tournament.

Baylor Schiermann- remember he supposedly wanted $500K in NIL and Cal said no, we don't promise NIL, so he went to Creighton and has been HUGE for them for 2 years.

Terrance Shannon- remember the Chin connection? The rumor was we could have had him and he entered the portal with UK in mind...but we never seriously pursue, he goes to Illinois...and he has been HUGE for them for 2 years.

Dalton Knecht- We flirted with him a little bit and then backed off since we had Edwards coming in. Imagine him and Reeves together on the wings.

Just a few examples.

HALF of our rotation this year should have been transfers.

And we're signing up to make the same mistake again by taking 6 freshman in this year's class, only two of which are supposed to be big impact (JQ & Fland).

Need to take the best available portal guys this year, and if that scares off guys like Knox, Richmond, etc. and they decommit, so-be-it.

I'm actually rooting for that- I hope all 6 of these guys don't make it to campus- we need TRANSFERS and RETURNERS.

Is the roster building.

We had real, serious odds to land transfers these past 2 years that is seems we barely even tried on.

Baylor Schiermann- remember he supposedly wanted $500K in NIL and Cal said no, we don't promise NIL, so he went to Creighton and has been HUGE for them for 2 years.

Terrance Shannon- remember the Chin connection? The rumor was we could have had him and he entered the portal with UK in mind...but we never seriously pursue, he goes to Illinois...and he has been HUGE for them for 2 years.

Dalton Knecht- We flirted with him a little bit and then backed off since we had Edwards coming in. Imagine him and Reeves together on the wings.

Just a few examples.

And we're signing up to make the same mistake again by taking 6 freshman in this year's class, only two of which are supposed to be big impact (JQ & Fland).

Need to take the best available portal guys this year, and if that scares off guys like Knox, Richmond, etc. and they decommit, so-be-it.

I'm actually rooting for that- I hope all 6 of these guys don't make it to campus- we need TRANSFERS and RETURNERS.
Your last paragraph is bonkers. We already need transfers and returners But right now those 6 ARE the roster. Just because we need things don’t mean we will get them. I hate everything right now but I still want to win as much as possible next year. I’m not rooting for more bad news

Is the roster building.

Just a few examples.

Saw Karter Knox on ESPN a couple of weeks ago. Reminded me Ramon Harris. Wasn’t impressed.

Your last paragraph is bonkers. We already need transfers and returners But right now those 6 ARE the roster. Just because we need things don’t mean we will get them. I hate everything right now but I still want to win as much as possible next year. I’m not rooting for more bad news

We can absolutely get better players in the portal than most of the guys coming in.

That much I am not worried about.

So JQ is supposed to be one of our difference makers coming in at the age of 17? Yeah I mean that’s just not going to happen,

Even with the recalls and being so young, he is a borderline top-5 recruit. He is super talented.

MKG, Karl Towns, etc. were reclass guys also.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Is the roster building.

Just a few examples.

And you could add that the only 2 seniors we had were only on the team by random chance. Reeves was going to transfer when he didn't get drafted, but Cal kind of backed into that one. And if not for the issues at West Virginia (which were kind of fluky also), Tre Mitchell wouldn't have been here. I know many disliked Mitchell by the end, but Reeves and Mitchell were the leaders in the game against Oakland. The freshmen, other than Dillingham, were no shows in that game.

Meanwhile, we spent the entire season playing against 4th and 5th and 6th (covid) year seniors brought in through the portal.

We can absolutely get better players in the portal than most of the guys coming in.

That much I am not worried about.
You don’t know that. None of us do. Did we see Reed and dilly having the success they had?

We just don’t know. Cal just needs to recruit the portal as hard as he can and hope for the best. But we will still need the freshmen. We always will as long as cal is here

Reactions: ksharpless
You don’t know that. None of us do. Did we see Reed and dilly having the success they had?

We just don’t know. Cal just needs to recruit the portal as hard as he can and hope for the best. But we will still need the freshmen. We always will as long as cal is here
Cal needs to focus on getting elite top 5 to top 10 talent. And fill the rest of his roster out with transfers. But that will never happen. Instead he gets fringe top 25-top 50 freshman and brings in 2 transfers to play as role players. While the players he made promises to play 30 minutes a game. Riding them all the way to 11 losses.

Is the roster building.

Just a few examples.

Yup, I remember all 3 of them and hoped at the time we would land them all. They turned out to be perfect players to get that’s for sure. Instead of taking 6-7 players from a weak Freshman class, these are the type guys we should be prioritizing getting. Especially ones who will likely stay 2 years like Reeves. I’d have rather had 4-5 guys like him with Dilly and Sheppard rather than a bunch of freshman who did squat. We should prioritize 2-3 elite freshman from now on and look for portal guys to fill out the roster from there. Get older and stay older with great college players and a couple freshman who have talent and can take time to grow.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Is the roster building.

Just a few examples.

We might not have any returners. 6 or 7 freshmen and 6 transfers might be the only option we have, unfortunately.

I agree with this. But are the top portal guys coming here with all these freshman already signed up? I have my doubts, we’ll see. That’s why I’m afraid that even if Cal gets it he can’t really fix the problem this season. He has to quit taking so many freshmen. Two or three tops.

We didn't need Knecht when we had a future top 5 draft pick, All SEC Player known as Justin Edwards joining the team.

But that's the problem.

Taking a guy who is SUPPOSED to be really good but you don't really know, vs. taking a guy who is a proven commodity at the D-1 level.

Edwards, Aaron Bradshaw, Damion Collins, BJ Boston, etc. etc. were all supposed to be TOP NOTCH recruits.

And yet, our best players in recent years have been the likes of Reeves, Kellen Grady, Oscar Tshiebwe, etc.

Give me more Antonio Reeves, Oscar Tshiebwe and Kellan Grady's ALL DAY LONG over these other guys.

Cal needs to focus on getting elite top 5 to top 10 talent. And fill the rest of his roster out with transfers. But that will never happen. Instead he gets fringe top 25-top 50 freshman and brings in 2 transfers to play as role players. While the players he made promises to play 30 minutes a game. Riding them all the way to 11 losses.
I agree. Here’s where cal always fails. Those fringe top 25-50 freshman should be multi year established players. But they always leave after the first year. Either they go pro or they transfer. But they always leave, we then have to start over. I don’t care what he has to tell them, but they must start sticking around

I agree. Here’s where cal always fails. Those fringe top 25-50 freshman should be multi year established players. But they always leave after the first year. Either they go pro or they transfer. But they always leave, we then have to start over. I don’t care what he has to tell them, but they must start sticking around
Not trying to toot my own horn, really I'm not, just a point. But me and kyjeff1 were saying this years ago. Cal's best rosters were made up of returnees and talented elite freshmen. Keywords being returnees and elite.

We didn’t even have a chance because of cal now 5 years straight and the man continues to be employed. We need change now the Barney cal marriage can continue outside of uk and btw in that stupid interview. Who gives a shat about Barney and Cals relationship? Do they think we care about this? Why? We need to be winning not discussing the relationship between the idiots who sent Uk bb off a cliff. How do we start this movement? Why did uk media drop the heat? There should be constant talk about canning these guys and starting over with an ad from Kentucky who understands the standard uk bb is for our athletics program and the state.

Sad thing is, that Cal woulda hamstrung any of those guys to the bench in favor of “his guys”. It was criminal what he did to Reeves early on in his UK career!

Is the roster building.

Just a few examples.

Calipari is a loser. And has proven it for years now. Its never been more obvious that the game has past by a guy than him. Everyone knew we shouldve got older years ago. Easy to see. How fans in lex arent putting signs up in his yard I will never understand. Next years squad that he runs out will end up in the NIT. It was already written all over his face in the interview with Mitch.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Cal would've had no clue how to play Grant Nelson. Also interesting to note how thin and frail looking Nelson is, yet he's absolutely dominating games on both ends of the floor on the biggest stage. If he came here he'd be playing weak with no confidence and one eye on the bench at all times.

He made a wise decision to go to a school that has a coaching staff that actually prepares players for games.

Cal would've had no clue how to play Grant Nelson. Also interesting to note how thin and frail looking Nelson is, yet he's absolutely dominating games on both ends of the floor on the biggest stage. If he came here he'd be playing weak with no confidence and one eye on the bench at all times.

He made a wise decision to go to a school that has a coaching staff that actually prepares players for games.
Oats had him bringing the ball up the floor. And ran a play for him to take a 3 as the primary ball handler. In crunch time no less. Cal would NEVER let that happen. He'd be parked in the paint.

Our lame duck coach needs to tell all current players you have one week after season ends to tell us Pro - Portal or Stay
That way our pitiful staff can start bringing in as many portals players as needed to fill out roster

Is the roster building.

Just a few examples.

Baylor got a million dollars from Creighton. All these guys you listed didn't come here because of nil money. That's not on Cal if we don't have it to give
We didn't get knecht and we got Reeves, it wasn't Edwards. Edwards was already coming

I am actually kinda encouraged that he went down and recruited some 4 star talent. It makes me think for once maybe it's because of evaluation and not just because a kid is highly ranked. Kinda along the lines of taking Reed and Perry.

He is a rare talent who will be in college 2 years apparently. He is definitely one we should have recruited. He’s got talent and size.
I agree about getting him but relying on him to be one of our two difference makers is not likely to happen.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Our lame duck coach needs to tell all current players you have one week after season ends to tell us Pro - Portal or Stay
That way our pitiful staff can start bringing in as many portals players as needed to fill out roster
This is the issue with Kentucky and the portal. Cal lets the decisions of his current guys drag on too long and then he misses on the top talent in the portal. I know it’s all about helping his guys make a decision and that’s admirable but he backs himself into a corner with the wait.

Reactions: DraftCat
You need a good mix. Because not many proven experienced players will transfer in to be 7th, 8th, 9th guys.
6 is to many FR, 0 is too few, 3-4 is ideal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT