ADVERTISEMENT

Watching Vandagriff’s films in HS and at UGA, Pretty Impressive

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
I like the way VG uses his blockers, and instinctively knows when he escapes to the left or right from the pocket, he has surrendered his O-linemen’s leverage, and gets on his horse.

Oddly, Leary and others often roll out of the pocket, but then stay too close to the defensive players in pursuit.

VG has a ten minute (plus) HS YouTube film. He makes a lot of long throws, but makes routine flares and screens look routine.

He appears to have a physicality about him that will remind you of Levis, and is the same size.

He might be a tad faster than Levis, and looks great running the ball, with a high top end speed, reminiscent of Patrick Towels who could top 20 mph.

I know many discount the value of QB mobility, but those extra 400/500 yards Levis netted in ‘21 were probably the difference in at least a couple of close games.

Last edited:
I like the way VG uses his blockers, and instinctively knows when he escapes to the left or right from the pocket, he has surrendered his O-linemen’s leverage, and gets on his horse.

Oddly, Leary and others often roll out of the pocket, but then stay too close to the defensive players in pursuit.

VG has a ten minute (plus) HS YouTube film. He makes a lot of long throws, but makes routine flares and screens look routine.

He appears to have a physicality about him that will remind you of Levis, and is the same size.

He might be a tad faster than Levis, and looks great running the ball, with a high top end speed, reminiscent of Patrick Towels who could top 20 mph.

I know many discount the value of QB mobility, but those extra 400/500 yards Levis netted in ‘21 were probably the difference in at least a couple of close games.
You know me, I likes it when I hear about a QBs abilitly to run. Great insight on not just that he runs but his instinct and abilitly to escape the pocket. Like you say some just move a little still trying to look down field which too many times results in a sack or fumble.

I like it when their first instinct when sensing real pressure is to get to real space first then look to make a play on the move, passing or running. But just get away from trouble first. That way you're not only avoiding a bad play but can make something happen at full speed.

Nothing good happens after midnight at a waffle house and nothing good happens in the pocket after second read!

You know me, I likes it when I hear about a QBs abilitly to run. Great insight on not just that he runs but his instinct and abilitly to escape the pocket. Like you say some just move a little still trying to look down field which too many times results in a sack or fumble.

I like it when their first instinct when sensing real pressure is to get to real space first then look to make a play on the move, passing or running. But just get away from trouble first. That way you're not only avoiding a bad play but can make something happen at full speed.

Yep.

Nothing good happens after midnight at a waffle house and nothing good happens in the pocket after second read!

Unless you were Ben Roethlisberger 8 years ago or Terry Bradshaw over 40 years ago....

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Reactions: Ky grandpa
He has all the tools to be a very good college QB. Big arm, athletic, very good speed. The only question mark about him is how qick he analyzes what he sees. In HS he was just better that everyone and could do whatever he wanted and was never in position to need to do it in college. I think he will be very good and not looking forward to facing him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT