ADVERTISEMENT

Could we run the Eagles offense and be successful?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
They certainly don't run a 'typical' NFL offense, mainly due to Hurts' skillset. Running game looks to me like a lot of RPO concepts and inside zone (not an expert by any means) and Hurts has the option to run a few times, which the defense has to respect. Passing game looks more like an Andy Reid or Mike Shanahan style with PA, bootlegs/moving the pocket, using the TE and RB, more ball-control than big play. But, it works great. Seems like we could marry the McVay passing game with more of an RPO/inside zone running game and maintain our physicality at the LOS, still be attractive for the QBs and skill position players who want to learn a pro system and, oh yeah, win more COLLEGE football games.

I know Coen has said next year we'll spread out and go faster. I don't know that that is the right answer, especially the spread out piece. A QB who is a threat to run puts so much more pressure on a defense that it's obvious that's what we should do. Combine that piece with RPO and an NFL-based controlled passing game and I think we could have a system we can run for many years. 49ers have a similar scheme w/out QB running although he is mobile. Every team can't recruit a Patrick Mahomes but I believe there are many HS QBs with the size and skillset to run this type of offensive scheme.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT