ADVERTISEMENT

Watching practice today...

Just got home...read some of above comments, just giving my honest take on some stuff. I will break down by drills and focus really on new guys or anything glaring I saw from returnees.

I stayed the full two hours. Will post some of the pics, etc in a bit. Not going to break down everything but just a couple drills and impressions on guys.

Of note- CJ and Canada were out of town this weekend and didn't participate in anything.

Half offense/defense over the two hours.

Offense:

Most memorable... Lot of work on penetration and floater or lob starting from 3/4 court on a sprint. Most of the guys handling the rock were Wheeler, Wallace, Reeves and Thiero. Wheeler and Wallace had some wars. Wheeler crossed Wallace bad once with a lob to Livingston or Toppin, cannot remember which. Shooting drills were 3 different sets of 3 guys on either end of court. One at top of key, one in corner and one on wing or just beyond elbow (Oscar).

I'll break down performance in a second as I saw it. Of note- corner shots were coming from stretch 4 guys- Livingston, Collins, Toppin.

Defense:

Alot of half court trap work between guards and 4 spot. One on one, big focus on slide hop to stay in front of offense. Special attention to Livingston on that.

Personnel Breakdown:

Oscar- didn't see much difference in approach; shot a few three's in drills here and there

Toppin- looks taller and stronger to me; outside shot looked good, in particular the corner from three. He made around 50 in 5 minute drill.

Collins- Ok, so much has been talked about his weight; to me I can see a difference...looks like a Sophomore or Junior McCarty in terms of body. Definitely still skinny. Was super impressed with his shooting from corner. He had some jaw dropping dunks. I expect a lot out of him. Could see him and Oscar playing together if he really can stretch the floor.

Wheeler- does look like he shed some weight; ridiculous how fast he is up close; we were feet from the guys in Craft Center. Went to camp last year but was never that close to Wheeler. He cannot be taller than 5'7". His 3 shots in drill were from top of key. He did well, again we are talking wide open at top of key but shot good IMHO.

Ware: Looks about the same to me. Maybe a little bigger. Didn't see anything major that stood out. Same type of player he has been.

Wallace: Will be an absolute star, no question in my mind. Though I've been wrong before. He didn't reply on perimeter game but did very well in 3pt drill. He can get by his man and is uber strong and has a quick second hop on a miss. Saw him miss on a drive and outrebound Oscar for his own putback which would have been an And1.

Livingston: Strong body, very physical but smooth. Pretty impressive. Doesn't look anything like a freshman...same for Wallace Had some very athletic dunks and a smooth shot from three. Had him in stretch 4 shooting drill.

Reeves:. I wasn't overly impressed from three. Hopefully this is just practice and not something to be worried about. Mid range game was money though, has a great floater and looked comfortable as a spot sub at PG...good handles.

Thiero: Was presently surprised. For one, he has a college ready body. Kid is clearly stronger than he looks from commit pics, etc. Very quick, was probably more impressed with him in defensive drills than anyone. He has the looks of someone who can be a lock down defender. Wouldn't be surprised if he plays more mins than I thought...like could fight into rotation. Shot looks good. He made 13-15 in a row from top of key drill. He then was off a bit but regrouped.

Overall:

I don't think the team will struggle to score. Wallace, Livingston and Reeves can all go by guys. I do think some of the 3 point shooting could be a concern and I do think they will rely on a stretch 4 to hit this year...at least based off practice today.

Team should be absolutely elite defensively. Long, quick, athletic and a few with really good fundamentals (Wallace, Thiero in particular at guard).

Most impressed:
° Collins/Toppin- two guys that will be fighting for minutes at same spot.

Least Impressed:
° Ware- just didn't see anything new; but not sure we need much more, he is a hustle guy

Biggest Surprise:
°Thiero- maybe it was low expectations but the defensive drills wowed me. He was quick and gaining praise from Cal. He has a lot to learn on offensive sets and got lost a few times, but it is June.

Last thing I'll add, yes....there were a HELL of a lot of GO's!!!!

GBB
Thanks.

Good report. Thanks. I watched as much video as I could on Reeves and I think some people are mistaken about his game.

He can shoot the 3 okay, but against teams like Wisconsin, who keyed on him defensively, he was still able to penetrate with ease, and get a shot at the basket, or a pull-up in the lane. As such, he might be a perfect complement to Fredrick, one being a better option against a zone and the other against man defense.

Good report. Thanks. I watched as much video as I could on Reeves and I think some people are mistaken about his game.

He can shoot the 3 okay, but against teams like Wisconsin, who keyed on him defensively, he was still able to penetrate with ease, and get a shot at the basket, or a pull-up in the lane. As such, he might be a perfect complement to Fredrick, one being a better option against a zone and the other against man defense.

Really critical CJ is healthy.

I know you said Wheeler lost some belly fat, but is he as slim as he looks in that pic? If so, that's good news. Means he's willing to put in the work to improve his game even more.

Hard to tell man. He is so short and strong I just think he carries weight odd. I would say he lost whatever weight he gained midseason last year.

He isn't slim but he isn't portly either.

Last edited:
I know you said Wheeler lost some belly fat, but is he as slim as he looks in that pic? If so, that's good news. Means he's willing to put in the work to improve his game even more.

Here ya go...you can click on image to open up and see better.

It is ungodly how fast he is. Can't describe it sitting that close. Haven't quite seen anything like it. Not trying to blow him up, he is who he is...but just saying it is impressive.

He didn't reply on perimeter game
Thanks for the report for us starving Bennies! However, re Wallace, what does this quote mean?
Least Impressed:
° Ware- just didn't see anything new;
It's ok.... we've got Oscar!
there were a HELL of a lot of GO's!!!!
I'm sensing a theme here!
Please tell me they are working on at least one in-bounds play
It's June.
But, yeah, that ain't gonna happen.

I want to say as a fan for 30 years having the chance to watch practice was awesome. It was about as cool as sitting on court at Rupp when a friend of mine (volleyball player) got her basketball boyfriend's personal seats for me and getting to go in locker room at halftime.

Hard to tell man. He is so short and strong I just think he carries weight odd. I would say he lost whatever weight he gained midseason last year.

He isn't slim but he isn't portly either.
I get it. I'm taller than Wheeler at 5' 9" , but having weight struggles in my life, even a little bit of fat makes you look huge at that height.

But I think he looks slimmer and not nearly as chubby.

Thanks for the report for us starving Bennies! However, re Wallace, what does this quote mean?

It's ok.... we've got Oscar!

I'm sensing a theme here!

It's June.
But, yeah, that ain't gonna happen.

Typo...rely on perimeter game. Doesn't settle, can beat his man and is strong enough to go into trees.

I expect this team to shoot way more FT's next year. Multiple guys who can drive ball including Toppin who impressed there as well.

That was a fatal flaw from last year's team and I ignored it all year while BB blinders on.

Forget the exact number but for example Reeves shot something like 100 more FT's last year despite playing about same mins as Grady.

This isn't going to be a team waiting for shot clock to run down and a wing 3. Wallace, Reeves, Livingston, Toppin, Wheeler...all guys who can get by man.

Typo...rely on perimeter game. Doesn't settle, can beat his man and is strong enough to go into trees.

I expect this team to shoot way more FT's next year. Multiple guys who can drive ball including Toppin who impressed there as well.

That was a fatal flaw from last year's team and I ignored it all year while BB blinders on.

Forget the exact number but for example Reeves shot something like 100 more FT's last year despite playing about same mins as Grady.

This isn't going to be a team waiting for shot clock to run down and a wing 3. Wallace, Reeves, Livingston, Toppin, Wheeler...all guys who can get by man.

They were there, so yeah.

Reactions: ncaaky

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if cason Wallace is the best freshman guard in America. He's everything you want in a college guard

Just got home...read some of above comments, just giving my honest take on some stuff. I will break down by drills and focus really on new guys or anything glaring I saw from returnees.

I stayed the full two hours. Will post some of the pics, etc in a bit. Not going to break down everything but just a couple drills and impressions on guys.

Of note- CJ and Canada were out of town this weekend and didn't participate in anything.

Offense:

Most memorable... Lot of work on penetration and floater or lob starting from 3/4 court on a sprint. Most of the guys handling the rock were Wheeler, Wallace, Reeves and Thiero. Wheeler and Wallace had some wars. Wheeler crossed Wallace bad once with a lob to Livingston or Toppin, cannot remember which. Shooting drills were 3 different sets of 3 guys on either end of court. One at top of key, one in corner and one on wing or just beyond elbow (Oscar).

I'll break down performance in a second as I saw it. Of note- corner shots were coming from stretch 4 guys- Livingston, Collins, Toppin.

Defense:

Alot of half court trap work between guards and 4 spot. One on one, big focus on slide hop to stay in front of offense. Special attention to Livingston on that.

Personnel Breakdown:

Oscar- didn't see much difference in approach; shot a few three's in drills here and there

Toppin- looks taller and stronger to me; outside shot looked good, in particular the corner from three. He made around 50 in 5 minute drill.

Collins- Ok, so much has been talked about his weight; to me I can see a difference...looks like a Sophomore or Junior McCarty in terms of body. Definitely still skinny. Was super impressed with his shooting from corner. He had some jaw dropping dunks. I expect a lot out of him. Could see him and Oscar playing together if he really can stretch the floor.

Wheeler- does look like he shed some weight; ridiculous how fast he is up close; we were feet from the guys in Craft Center. Went to camp last year but was never that close to Wheeler. He cannot be taller than 5'7". His 3 shots in drill were from top of key. He did well, again we are talking wide open at top of key but shot good IMHO.

Ware: Looks about the same to me. Maybe a little bigger. Didn't see anything major that stood out. Same type of player he has been.

Wallace: Will be an absolute star, no question in my mind. Though I've been wrong before. He didn't reply on perimeter game but did very well in 3pt drill. He can get by his man and is uber strong and has a quick second hop on a miss. Saw him miss on a drive and outrebound Oscar for his own putback which would have been an And1.

Livingston: Strong body, very physical but smooth. Pretty impressive. Doesn't look anything like a freshman...same for Wallace Had some very athletic dunks and a smooth shot from three. Had him in stretch 4 shooting drill.

Reeves:. I wasn't overly impressed from three. Hopefully this is just practice and not something to be worried about. Mid range game was money though, has a great floater and looked comfortable as a spot sub at PG...good handles.

Thiero: Was presently surprised. For one, he has a college ready body. Kid is clearly stronger than he looks from commit pics, etc. Very quick, was probably more impressed with him in defensive drills than anyone. He has the looks of someone who can be a lock down defender. Wouldn't be surprised if he plays more mins than I thought...like could fight into rotation. Shot looks good. He made 13-15 in a row from top of key drill. He then was off a bit but regrouped.

Overall:

I don't think the team will struggle to score. Wallace, Livingston and Reeves can all go by guys. I do think some of the 3 point shooting could be a concern and I do think they will rely on a stretch 4 to hit this year...at least based off practice today.

Team should be absolutely elite defensively. Long, quick, athletic and a few with really good fundamentals (Wallace, Thiero in particular at guard).

Most impressed:

Least Impressed:
° Ware- just didn't see anything new; but not sure we need much more, he is a hustle guy

Biggest Surprise:
°Thiero- maybe it was low expectations but the defensive drills wowed me. He was quick and gaining praise from Cal. He has a lot to learn on offensive sets and got lost a few times, but it is June.

GBB
At this point we should have a UK shirt that just says GO on it lol. I thought Wallace/Livingston looks really built from the pictures as well. We should be a good defensive team this year for sure. I’m still worried about the 3 and hearing Reeves didn’t impress is kinda scary. But it is only one practice.

Makes sense why he was a priority in the portal then. Our offense relies on driving so that’s good news. Outside shooting would be a bonus if he’s around 35%.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55

Offense:

Defense:

Personnel Breakdown:

Overall:

Most impressed:

Least Impressed:

Biggest Surprise:

GBB
CJ not there, that means he's getting hip replacement surgery, news to come soon.😜

Offense:

Defense:

Personnel Breakdown:

Overall:

Most impressed:

Least Impressed:

Biggest Surprise:

GBB
Thanks for the info.

Reactions: HagginHall1999

Offense:

Defense:

Personnel Breakdown:

Overall:

Most impressed:

Least Impressed:

Biggest Surprise:

GBB
Fantastic stuff!

One thing that sticks out to me already is the versatility on the roster. Seems like there's a lot of dudes who can play multiple positions. Something we've been missing in recent years.

The report on Collins and Toppin is very encouraging. Was wondering why we at least didn't get the tires on any legitimate stretch 4 in the portal just in case neither developed, but you have to assume Cal knew what he had in both guys. Collins' ceiling is just incredibly high. Hope we see glimpses of it this year.

Can't wait to watch Wallace. He's so good and just impacts winning on so many levels. Hard to find a comp for him. SGA may the best one (I believe he said that's who he models his game after), but think he's a little more athletic than SGA was. Either way, is going to be an instrumental piece and have a feeling he's going to be "the guy" in late game situations.

Think Livingston is going to be really solid as well. When you ask him to do too much is when things get a little tough for him. Putting him next to elite table-setting guards is going to help him tremendously. If you just ask him to hit open jumpers, attack closeouts, and be a good off-ball cutter and lob catcher is when this dude will thrive.

3-point shooting has been a common cause of concern, but think this team is going to absolutely dominate some teams in the paint. As long as we have "threats" out there to open up driving lanes this team should have little issue scoring the ball. As you mentioned, we should be really good defensively and should get back to having that elite defense this year.

No freaking kidding. I’m not exactly pleased with Cal, but new season, new start. Let’s see what happens. I’m up for the team and neutral on Cal.

Let’s at least be a little optimistic before we get pissy. Some of the board right now is just being a little too pessimistic. I mean I understand and I get it. But it’s like walking into a new job and immediately going “Well….this is gonna suck.”

Let’s at least give the newer guys a chance and support the players, and as for Cal? Well, he might as well be coaching Mizzou, because he’s gotta lotta to show me.
Actually, it is kinda like quitting your job, finding a new job with new co-workers.........and on the first day you find out they just hired your old boss to run the show.

That does suck.

No reason to report back. Regardless of what you say (Reeves and Frederick can really shoot for example) will only be met with the typical “how many times have we heard that before?” by the old grumpy curmudgeon’s on this board.
Glad you are wrong. This has been a good thread.

Reactions: kywildcat41086

Offense:

Defense:

Personnel Breakdown:

Overall:

Most impressed:

Least Impressed:

Biggest Surprise:

GBB
Soooo, fast paste offense? Great stuff thanks man

• Haha
Reactions: HagginHall1999

Offense:

Defense:

Personnel Breakdown:

Overall:

Most impressed:

Least Impressed:

Biggest Surprise:

GBB
Really appreciate the recap and details you gave. Thank you very much. Excited to hear that about Thiero....I thought the film was a lot better than I expected and he has some major upside to his game. Can tell you that Toppin is getting raves from everyone so you aren't alone there-he's definitely put in some work and it's impressing people. All SEC is being mentioned with Toppin at this point.

I still think UK's best defensive team upfront last year was with Oscar/Collins and hopefully that shows this year as well.

How did Wheeler's jumper look? Was his balance improved? They worked on that a lot last year and still needed work, but he was so off balance at UGA and needed to get more balance in legs according to those around program last year.

Thanks again!

Offense:

Defense:

Personnel Breakdown:

Overall:

Most impressed:

Least Impressed:

Biggest Surprise:

GBB
That was awesome in depth thanks so much!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT