ADVERTISEMENT

Watching practice today...

Really appreciate the recap and details you gave. Thank you very much. Excited to hear that about Thiero....I thought the film was a lot better than I expected and he has some major upside to his game. Can tell you that Toppin is getting raves from everyone so you aren't alone there-he's definitely put in some work and it's impressing people. All SEC is being mentioned with Toppin at this point.

I still think UK's best defensive team upfront last year was with Oscar/Collins and hopefully that shows this year as well.

How did Wheeler's jumper look? Was his balance improved? They worked on that a lot last year and still needed work, but he was so off balance at UGA and needed to get more balance in legs according to those around program last year.

Thanks again!

Thanks RD. Regarding Sahvir...the only shooting they did was the 3 man drill I mentioned. There wasn't a live scrimmage so can only base on set shot. He looked good. I mean at the end of the day I don't see him shooting a lot of contested 3's. Just needs to be respectable, right?

You are probably way more adept on the balance, etc. Didn't look at that level of detail tbh!

Really appreciate the recap and details you gave. Thank you very much. Excited to hear that about Thiero....I thought the film was a lot better than I expected and he has some major upside to his game. Can tell you that Toppin is getting raves from everyone so you aren't alone there-he's definitely put in some work and it's impressing people. All SEC is being mentioned with Toppin at this point.

I still think UK's best defensive team upfront last year was with Oscar/Collins and hopefully that shows this year as well.

How did Wheeler's jumper look? Was his balance improved? They worked on that a lot last year and still needed work, but he was so off balance at UGA and needed to get more balance in legs according to those around program last year.

Thanks again!

Regarding Thiero....

The speed on his closeout was impressive. For a good part of defense session it was closeout and trap. Theiro's speed and size will be problematic eventually. Most of the defensive session I was up top looking down on the court. You could hear his sneaker squeak up top. Kid has great defensive fundamentals.

Regarding Thiero....

The speed on his closeout was impressive. For a good part of defense session it was closeout and trap. Theiro's speed and size will be problematic eventually. Most of the defensive session I was up top looking down on the court. You could hear his sneaker squeak up top. Kid has great defensive fundamentals.
Great info! Thanks. Would you say he's a legit 6'6 now? That length is what I'm excited about seeing he was a PG and just happened to grow but to carry his team to State Championship game with limited cast around him and injuries-his wrist was messed up which effected his shooting....speaks well of his potential to be a contributor. Excited to see if he gets steady mins in Bahamas in August.

I tell you what I know I like about Wallace and Livingston is that they’re not stick figure freshman. My goodness those skinny kids just get pushed around so bad out there. Those two guys are already built like men.

Last edited:
Great info! Thanks. Would you say he's a legit 6'6 now? That length is what I'm excited about seeing he was a PG and just happened to grow but to carry his team to State Championship game with limited cast around him and injuries-his wrist was messed up which effected his shooting....speaks well of his potential to be a contributor. Excited to see if he gets steady mins in Bahamas in August.

Yeah, regarding height I'd say 6'5-6'6 for Thiero. After seeing this practice and hearing those shoe squeaks...man, I'm excited about him. His dad was in the house, so maybe he had some extra juice. Not trying to hype him up too much, like I said got lost on some of offensive drills but that stuff is easier to learn than defensive effort/talent/ability IMHO.

Also, Toppin looked taller to me but it may be that he just put on some weight. He is definitely bigger than last year.

Awesome sauce @HagginHall1999. Plus: seems there was hardly anyone else there. How'd you snag that ticket?

There were a lot of people at start. Most folks cleared out after an hour. Was part of Father/Son camp last session. Only the die hards stuck around :)

All other Cal Camps have ended with like a 30 minute talk which don't get me wrong was fine/good...this was incredible. They really open it up there. Full access.

Would highly recommend for anyone with kids...especially in that 7-12 age range. Good times.

Last edited:
I get it. I'm taller than Wheeler at 5' 9" , but having weight struggles in my life, even a little bit of fat makes you look huge at that height.

But I think he looks slimmer and not nearly as chubby.
Wheeler would go full out light speed and play 36 minutes a game, his weight never seemed to slow him at all. I hope the coaching staff will keep him rested. He’s an SEC first teamer this season, IMO

Wheeler would go full out light speed and play 36 minutes a game, his weight never seemed to slow him at all. I hope the coaching staff will keep him rested. He’s an SEC first teamer this season, IMO
For sure. I don't think it hindered him either. Just looks better and more fit. Be able to take physicality better.

Yeah, regarding height I'd say 6'5-6'6 for Thiero. After seeing this practice and hearing those shoe squeaks...man, I'm excited about him. His dad was in the house, so maybe he had some extra juice. Not trying to hype him up too much, like I said got lost on some of offensive drills but that stuff is easier to learn than defensive effort/talent/ability IMHO.

Also, Toppin looked taller to me but it may be that he just put on some weight. He is definitely bigger than last year.
That's really how you get on the court in the situation Thiero's in too-defend and lock guys up. He'll get to face Cason Wallace, Chris Livingston, etc....at practices too, so it'll help him develop all around but defensively he can make an impact from jump, which is what leads to mins/trust/expanding a role. This wasn't some favor to a friend/ex player, this kid can play and is exactly type you like to fill roster with at back end--talented guy who needs CBB but has trait that can help team if called upon.

Toppin has reportedly grown to be 6'10 but like the strength added to his frame. Everyone is expecting a big SR year from him too.

That's really how you get on the court in the situation Thiero's in too-defend and lock guys up. He'll get to face Cason Wallace, Chris Livingston, etc....at practices too, so it'll help him develop all around but defensively he can make an impact from jump, which is what leads to mins/trust/expanding a role. This wasn't some favor to a friend/ex player, this kid can play and is exactly type you like to fill roster with at back end--talented guy who needs CBB but has trait that can help team if called upon.

Toppin has reportedly grown to be 6'10 but like the strength added to his frame. Everyone is expecting a big SR year from him too.

Agree, no favor re: Thiero, kid can play. I'd go so far as to say if we were only watching defense he is a starter on this team probably at the 3. Again, only defense. Long, athletic, strong and fundamental.

The Toppin I saw this weekend is not the guy I saw last summer. He looks strong and capable.

Key to this team will be health and the 3 spot. Need Livingston or Reeves to shine.

Really looking forward to Bahamas in a month or so.

At it's simplist form...

What I really like about what I saw is that this team can guard. You have ball hawks like Wheeler, a gambler. You have guys like Wallace, Toppin, Thiero that can just lock a guy down. Then you have versatility in Livingston/Toppin who can guard 3-4 spots on court with shot blocking of Oscar/Toppin/Collins.

Defend and drive...that seems to be the name of game for this team.

Who's is that guy who will rip the heart out...my guess is Wallace. Just looks and feels like a star.

Thanks for all the information. Thiero from what I have read from other place may just surprise a few people.
I’ve always thought he was going to be better than many people think. He’s simply one of those late bloomers, that didn’t get a whole lot of exposure IMO. It will help this team tremendously if he can play solid minutes in the backcourt. Will take some pressure off the other guards.

I also honestly believe Toppin has all SEC potential. I think we would’ve seen much more out of him had Brooks not undeservingly taken so many minutes at the 4 last season. Brooks shouldn’t have even been on the floor in that second half against St. Peter’s.

Just got home...read some of above comments, just giving my honest take on some stuff. I will break down by drills and focus really on new guys or anything glaring I saw from returnees.

I stayed the full two hours. Will post some of the pics, etc in a bit. Not going to break down everything but just a couple drills and impressions on guys.

Of note- CJ and Canada were out of town this weekend and didn't participate in anything.

Half offense/defense over the two hours.

Offense:

Most memorable... Lot of work on penetration and floater or lob starting from 3/4 court on a sprint. Most of the guys handling the rock were Wheeler, Wallace, Reeves and Thiero. Wheeler and Wallace had some wars. Wheeler crossed Wallace bad once with a lob to Livingston or Toppin, cannot remember which. Shooting drills were 3 different sets of 3 guys on either end of court. One at top of key, one in corner and one on wing or just beyond elbow (Oscar).

I'll break down performance in a second as I saw it. Of note- corner shots were coming from stretch 4 guys- Livingston, Collins, Toppin.

Defense:

Alot of half court trap work between guards and 4 spot. One on one, big focus on slide hop to stay in front of offense. Special attention to Livingston on that.

Personnel Breakdown:

Oscar- didn't see much difference in approach; shot a few three's in drills here and there

Toppin- looks taller and stronger to me; outside shot looked good, in particular the corner from three. He made around 50 in 5 minute drill.

Collins- Ok, so much has been talked about his weight; to me I can see a difference...looks like a Sophomore or Junior McCarty in terms of body. Definitely still skinny. Was super impressed with his shooting from corner. He had some jaw dropping dunks. I expect a lot out of him. Could see him and Oscar playing together if he really can stretch the floor.

Wheeler- does look like he shed some weight; ridiculous how fast he is up close; we were feet from the guys in Craft Center. Went to camp last year but was never that close to Wheeler. He cannot be taller than 5'7". His 3 shots in drill were from top of key. He did well, again we are talking wide open at top of key but shot good IMHO.

Ware: Looks about the same to me. Maybe a little bigger. Didn't see anything major that stood out. Same type of player he has been.

Wallace: Will be an absolute star, no question in my mind. Though I've been wrong before. He didn't reply on perimeter game but did very well in 3pt drill. He can get by his man and is uber strong and has a quick second hop on a miss. Saw him miss on a drive and outrebound Oscar for his own putback which would have been an And1.

Livingston: Strong body, very physical but smooth. Pretty impressive. Doesn't look anything like a freshman...same for Wallace Had some very athletic dunks and a smooth shot from three. Had him in stretch 4 shooting drill.

Reeves:. I wasn't overly impressed from three. Hopefully this is just practice and not something to be worried about. Mid range game was money though, has a great floater and looked comfortable as a spot sub at PG...good handles.

Thiero: Was presently surprised. For one, he has a college ready body. Kid is clearly stronger than he looks from commit pics, etc. Very quick, was probably more impressed with him in defensive drills than anyone. He has the looks of someone who can be a lock down defender. Wouldn't be surprised if he plays more mins than I thought...like could fight into rotation. Shot looks good. He made 13-15 in a row from top of key drill. He then was off a bit but regrouped.

Overall:

I don't think the team will struggle to score. Wallace, Livingston and Reeves can all go by guys. I do think some of the 3 point shooting could be a concern and I do think they will rely on a stretch 4 to hit this year...at least based off practice today.

Team should be absolutely elite defensively. Long, quick, athletic and a few with really good fundamentals (Wallace, Thiero in particular at guard).

Most impressed:
° Collins/Toppin- two guys that will be fighting for minutes at same spot.

Least Impressed:
° Ware- just didn't see anything new; but not sure we need much more, he is a hustle guy

Biggest Surprise:
°Thiero- maybe it was low expectations but the defensive drills wowed me. He was quick and gaining praise from Cal. He has a lot to learn on offensive sets and got lost a few times, but it is June.

Last thing I'll add, yes....there were a HELL of a lot of GO's!!!!

GBB

Appreciate this and thank you.

Sounds like KY will be a 3 point maker or 2 short next season. It’s a shame their were plenty of kids who can make the 3 in the portal

At it's simplist form...

What I really like about what I saw is that this team can guard. You have ball hawks like Wheeler, a gambler. You have guys like Wallace, Toppin, Thiero that can just lock a guy down. Then you have versatility in Livingston/Toppin who can guard 3-4 spots on court with shot blocking of Oscar/Toppin/Collins.

Who's is that guy who will rip the heart out...my guess is Wallace. Just looks and feels like a star.
Thanks for all your insight from the practice. Got the blood flowing again for sure.

I love your comments about Wallace. I got the same feel just from watching them highlight videos. Kid just looks to have it all. Can score from anywhere on the court in a huge variety of ways.
Seems very strong and understands spacing and angles like a veteran player. His change of speed with the ball in his hands is impressive and his court vision tells me he can take everyone else's game up a level.

At it's simplist form...

If we can defend the rim and handle the lob on offense, this team will be much better than the past 3 teams. Period.

Just got home...read some of above comments, just giving my honest take on some stuff. I will break down by drills and focus really on new guys or anything glaring I saw from returnees.

I stayed the full two hours. Will post some of the pics, etc in a bit. Not going to break down everything but just a couple drills and impressions on guys.

Of note- CJ and Canada were out of town this weekend and didn't participate in anything.

Half offense/defense over the two hours.

Offense:

Most memorable... Lot of work on penetration and floater or lob starting from 3/4 court on a sprint. Most of the guys handling the rock were Wheeler, Wallace, Reeves and Thiero. Wheeler and Wallace had some wars. Wheeler crossed Wallace bad once with a lob to Livingston or Toppin, cannot remember which. Shooting drills were 3 different sets of 3 guys on either end of court. One at top of key, one in corner and one on wing or just beyond elbow (Oscar).

I'll break down performance in a second as I saw it. Of note- corner shots were coming from stretch 4 guys- Livingston, Collins, Toppin.

Defense:

Alot of half court trap work between guards and 4 spot. One on one, big focus on slide hop to stay in front of offense. Special attention to Livingston on that.

Personnel Breakdown:

Oscar- didn't see much difference in approach; shot a few three's in drills here and there

Toppin- looks taller and stronger to me; outside shot looked good, in particular the corner from three. He made around 50 in 5 minute drill.

Collins- Ok, so much has been talked about his weight; to me I can see a difference...looks like a Sophomore or Junior McCarty in terms of body. Definitely still skinny. Was super impressed with his shooting from corner. He had some jaw dropping dunks. I expect a lot out of him. Could see him and Oscar playing together if he really can stretch the floor.

Wheeler- does look like he shed some weight; ridiculous how fast he is up close; we were feet from the guys in Craft Center. Went to camp last year but was never that close to Wheeler. He cannot be taller than 5'7". His 3 shots in drill were from top of key. He did well, again we are talking wide open at top of key but shot good IMHO.

Ware: Looks about the same to me. Maybe a little bigger. Didn't see anything major that stood out. Same type of player he has been.

Wallace: Will be an absolute star, no question in my mind. Though I've been wrong before. He didn't reply on perimeter game but did very well in 3pt drill. He can get by his man and is uber strong and has a quick second hop on a miss. Saw him miss on a drive and outrebound Oscar for his own putback which would have been an And1.

Livingston: Strong body, very physical but smooth. Pretty impressive. Doesn't look anything like a freshman...same for Wallace Had some very athletic dunks and a smooth shot from three. Had him in stretch 4 shooting drill.

Reeves:. I wasn't overly impressed from three. Hopefully this is just practice and not something to be worried about. Mid range game was money though, has a great floater and looked comfortable as a spot sub at PG...good handles.

Thiero: Was presently surprised. For one, he has a college ready body. Kid is clearly stronger than he looks from commit pics, etc. Very quick, was probably more impressed with him in defensive drills than anyone. He has the looks of someone who can be a lock down defender. Wouldn't be surprised if he plays more mins than I thought...like could fight into rotation. Shot looks good. He made 13-15 in a row from top of key drill. He then was off a bit but regrouped.

Overall:

I don't think the team will struggle to score. Wallace, Livingston and Reeves can all go by guys. I do think some of the 3 point shooting could be a concern and I do think they will rely on a stretch 4 to hit this year...at least based off practice today.

Team should be absolutely elite defensively. Long, quick, athletic and a few with really good fundamentals (Wallace, Thiero in particular at guard).

Most impressed:
° Collins/Toppin- two guys that will be fighting for minutes at same spot.

Least Impressed:
° Ware- just didn't see anything new; but not sure we need much more, he is a hustle guy

Biggest Surprise:
°Thiero- maybe it was low expectations but the defensive drills wowed me. He was quick and gaining praise from Cal. He has a lot to learn on offensive sets and got lost a few times, but it is June.

Last thing I'll add, yes....there were a HELL of a lot of GO's!!!!

GBB
This is fantastic thanks

I’ve always thought he was going to be better than many people think. He’s simply one of those late bloomers, that didn’t get a whole lot of exposure IMO. It will help this team tremendously if he can play solid minutes in the backcourt. Will take some pressure off the other guards.

I also honestly believe Toppin has all SEC potential. I think we would’ve seen much more out of him had Brooks not undeservingly taken so many minutes at the 4 last season. Brooks shouldn’t have even been on the floor in that second half against St. Peter’s.
I agree 100 % We are going to be thankful for Thiero being on the team. Can't wait to see how they do in Aug. If Toppin can improve his outside shot he will be all SEC.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Good report. Thanks. I watched as much video as I could on Reeves and I think some people are mistaken about his game.

He can shoot the 3 okay, but against teams like Wisconsin, who keyed on him defensively, he was still able to penetrate with ease, and get a shot at the basket, or a pull-up in the lane. As such, he might be a perfect complement to Fredrick, one being a better option against a zone and the other against man defense.
The slight I see in Reeves' game is that he required the ball in his hands to be effective offensively. In all video I've seen, he very rarely catches/shoots or curls off screen/catches/get s to the basket. He will not be allowed to be ball dominant here...or at least very rarely. Hopefully the report of struggling with threes is just chalked up to a bad day.

At it's simplist form...

Was pleased to hear you say this because I envision this being Cal's best defensive team in a while defending the ball and keeping guys in front of them. Team has more athleticism/physicality, but when you can defend the ball, you will always have a chance to be a really good defensive team/create easy baskets for yourself too.

The slight I see in Reeves' game is that he required the ball in his hands to be effective offensively. In all video I've seen, he very rarely catches/shoots or curls off screen/catches/get s to the basket. He will not be allowed to be ball dominant here...or at least very rarely. Hopefully the report of struggling with threes is just chalked up to a bad day.
That's a nice observation. I think Reeves is going to have to play more off the catch than with the ball in his hands at UK. But I actually think this could be a good thing for Reeves development.

Thanks RD. Regarding Sahvir...the only shooting they did was the 3 man drill I mentioned. There wasn't a live scrimmage so can only base on set shot. He looked good. I mean at the end of the day I don't see him shooting a lot of contested 3's. Just needs to be respectable, right?

You are probably way more adept on the balance, etc. Didn't look at that level of detail tbh!
Understand. Right--they were really working hard with him loading up the legs and being balanced-if you watch him shoot at UGA or when he started in game at UK last year, he'd take a lot of shots rushed/legs were not always underneath him, leads to inconsistent release points, fading, drifting...and mechanics are always important but specifically for shorter players regarding balance because taller players get away with some breakdowns due to their length if getting bumped/knocked or taking a tougher shot. Seeing your description of him in person, appreciate his finishes at rim if he's 5'7 and it's also nice to know later in games that Cason is going to get ball too-because his frame is getting to the basket and taking bumps.

Posts/Threads like yours are why this board is fantastic. Know we all can go at it time to time but getting a detailed practice report from June 25th is a present to all the hoop junkies. Thank you so much!

Reeves was a 40% shooter from three last year. Hoping just an off day. If he is that respectable from deep I think defenses are going to have a hard time with him. He has a great handle from what I saw. Think he will be better than Grady attacking basket and drawing fouls plus his floater looks tough.

Just listened to 630 and reports out of camp per Pilgrim are that in order....Toppin, Livingston and Reeves have impressed the most. They said Toppin shot is surprising staff and Reeves is ahead of transition as compared to Grady last year.

Was pleased to hear you say this because I envision this being Cal's best defensive team in a while defending the ball and keeping guys in front of them. Team has more athleticism/physicality, but when you can defend the ball, you will always have a chance to be a really good defensive team/create easy baskets for yourself too.

RE: Thiero...Pilgrim just said on 630 that Dr's telling staff his growth plates are still open and they expect him to grow to 6'9".

They said he is literally going through growing pains right now.

ADVERTISEMENT