ADVERTISEMENT

Watching practice today...

No reason to report back. Regardless of what you say (Reeves and Frederick can really shoot for example) will only be met with the typical “how many times have we heard that before?” by the old grumpy curmudgeon’s on this board.
Screw them. I want to hear the report. Any info about the guys is welcome here. Ignore the haters. This is going to be a fun year.

No reason to report back. Regardless of what you say (Reeves and Frederick can really shoot for example) will only be met with the typical “how many times have we heard that before?” by the old grumpy curmudgeon’s on this board.
I'm one of them but I enjoy re-runs (especially Gunsmoke, Wagon Train and Have Gun will Travel)

Cal just rolled the balls out today..........

• Haha
Reactions: Fox2monk
giphy-downsized-large.gif

No freaking kidding. I’m not exactly pleased with Cal, but new season, new start. Let’s see what happens. I’m up for the team and neutral on Cal.

Let’s at least be a little optimistic before we get pissy. Some of the board right now is just being a little too pessimistic. I mean I understand and I get it. But it’s like walking into a new job and immediately going “Well….this is gonna suck.”

Let’s at least give the newer guys a chance and support the players, and as for Cal? Well, he might as well be coaching Mizzou, because he’s gotta lotta to show me.

Just got home...read some of above comments, just giving my honest take on some stuff. I will break down by drills and focus really on new guys or anything glaring I saw from returnees.

I stayed the full two hours. Will post some of the pics, etc in a bit. Not going to break down everything but just a couple drills and impressions on guys.

Of note- CJ and Canada were out of town this weekend and didn't participate in anything.

Half offense/defense over the two hours.

Offense:

Most memorable... Lot of work on penetration and floater or lob starting from 3/4 court on a sprint. Most of the guys handling the rock were Wheeler, Wallace, Reeves and Thiero. Wheeler and Wallace had some wars. Wheeler crossed Wallace bad once with a lob to Livingston or Toppin, cannot remember which. Shooting drills were 3 different sets of 3 guys on either end of court. One at top of key, one in corner and one on wing or just beyond elbow (Oscar).

I'll break down performance in a second as I saw it. Of note- corner shots were coming from stretch 4 guys- Livingston, Collins, Toppin.

Defense:

Alot of half court trap work between guards and 4 spot. One on one, big focus on slide hop to stay in front of offense. Special attention to Livingston on that.

Personnel Breakdown:

Oscar- didn't see much difference in approach; shot a few three's in drills here and there

Toppin- looks taller and stronger to me; outside shot looked good, in particular the corner from three. He made around 50 in 5 minute drill.

Collins- Ok, so much has been talked about his weight; to me I can see a difference...looks like a Sophomore or Junior McCarty in terms of body. Definitely still skinny. Was super impressed with his shooting from corner. He had some jaw dropping dunks. I expect a lot out of him. Could see him and Oscar playing together if he really can stretch the floor.

Wheeler- does look like he shed some weight; ridiculous how fast he is up close; we were feet from the guys in Craft Center. Went to camp last year but was never that close to Wheeler. He cannot be taller than 5'7". His 3 shots in drill were from top of key. He did well, again we are talking wide open at top of key but shot good IMHO.

Ware: Looks about the same to me. Maybe a little bigger. Didn't see anything major that stood out. Same type of player he has been.

Wallace: Will be an absolute star, no question in my mind. Though I've been wrong before. He didn't reply on perimeter game but did very well in 3pt drill. He can get by his man and is uber strong and has a quick second hop on a miss. Saw him miss on a drive and outrebound Oscar for his own putback which would have been an And1.

Livingston: Strong body, very physical but smooth. Pretty impressive. Doesn't look anything like a freshman...same for Wallace Had some very athletic dunks and a smooth shot from three. Had him in stretch 4 shooting drill.

Reeves:. I wasn't overly impressed from three. Hopefully this is just practice and not something to be worried about. Mid range game was money though, has a great floater and looked comfortable as a spot sub at PG...good handles.

Thiero: Was presently surprised. For one, he has a college ready body. Kid is clearly stronger than he looks from commit pics, etc. Very quick, was probably more impressed with him in defensive drills than anyone. He has the looks of someone who can be a lock down defender. Wouldn't be surprised if he plays more mins than I thought...like could fight into rotation. Shot looks good. He made 13-15 in a row from top of key drill. He then was off a bit but regrouped.

Overall:

I don't think the team will struggle to score. Wallace, Livingston and Reeves can all go by guys. I do think some of the 3 point shooting could be a concern and I do think they will rely on a stretch 4 to hit this year...at least based off practice today.

Team should be absolutely elite defensively. Long, quick, athletic and a few with really good fundamentals (Wallace, Thiero in particular at guard).

Most impressed:
° Collins/Toppin- two guys that will be fighting for minutes at same spot.

Least Impressed:
° Ware- just didn't see anything new; but not sure we need much more, he is a hustle guy

Biggest Surprise:
°Thiero- maybe it was low expectations but the defensive drills wowed me. He was quick and gaining praise from Cal. He has a lot to learn on offensive sets and got lost a few times, but it is June.

Last thing I'll add, yes....there were a HELL of a lot of GO's!!!!

GBB

Please tell me they are working on at least one in-bounds play that has some hope of generating a shot at the bucket!

I know it must be hard and take lots of practice because they never could get one installed last year. Maybe with the extra practices for this Bahamas trip they can start working on it earlier? 😳

Just got home...read some of above comments, just giving my honest take on some stuff. I will break down by drills and focus really on new guys or anything glaring I saw from returnees.

I stayed the full two hours. Will post some of the pics, etc in a bit. Not going to break down everything but just a couple drills and impressions on guys.

Of note- CJ and Canada were out of town this weekend and didn't participate in anything.

Half offense/defense over the two hours.

Offense:

Most memorable... Lot of work on penetration and floater or lob starting from 3/4 court on a sprint. Most of the guys handling the rock were Wheeler, Wallace, Reeves and Thiero. Wheeler and Wallace had some wars. Wheeler crossed Wallace bad once with a lob to Livingston or Toppin, cannot remember which. Shooting drills were 3 different sets of 3 guys on either end of court. One at top of key, one in corner and one on wing or just beyond elbow (Oscar).

I'll break down performance in a second as I saw it. Of note- corner shots were coming from stretch 4 guys- Livingston, Collins, Toppin.

Defense:

Alot of half court trap work between guards and 4 spot. One on one, big focus on slide hop to stay in front of offense. Special attention to Livingston on that.

Personnel Breakdown:

Oscar- didn't see much difference in approach; shot a few three's in drills here and there

Toppin- looks taller and stronger to me; outside shot looked good, in particular the corner from three. He made around 50 in 5 minute drill.

Collins- Ok, so much has been talked about his weight; to me I can see a difference...looks like a Sophomore or Junior McCarty in terms of body. Definitely still skinny. Was super impressed with his shooting from corner. He had some jaw dropping dunks. I expect a lot out of him. Could see him and Oscar playing together if he really can stretch the floor.

Wheeler- does look like he shed some weight; ridiculous how fast he is up close; we were feet from the guys in Craft Center. Went to camp last year but was never that close to Wheeler. He cannot be taller than 5'7". His 3 shots in drill were from top of key. He did well, again we are talking wide open at top of key but shot good IMHO.

Ware: Looks about the same to me. Maybe a little bigger. Didn't see anything major that stood out. Same type of player he has been.

Wallace: Will be an absolute star, no question in my mind. Though I've been wrong before. He didn't reply on perimeter game but did very well in 3pt drill. He can get by his man and is uber strong and has a quick second hop on a miss. Saw him miss on a drive and outrebound Oscar for his own putback which would have been an And1.

Livingston: Strong body, very physical but smooth. Pretty impressive. Doesn't look anything like a freshman...same for Wallace Had some very athletic dunks and a smooth shot from three. Had him in stretch 4 shooting drill.

Reeves:. I wasn't overly impressed from three. Hopefully this is just practice and not something to be worried about. Mid range game was money though, has a great floater and looked comfortable as a spot sub at PG...good handles.

Thiero: Was presently surprised. For one, he has a college ready body. Kid is clearly stronger than he looks from commit pics, etc. Very quick, was probably more impressed with him in defensive drills than anyone. He has the looks of someone who can be a lock down defender. Wouldn't be surprised if he plays more mins than I thought...like could fight into rotation. Shot looks good. He made 13-15 in a row from top of key drill. He then was off a bit but regrouped.

Overall:

I don't think the team will struggle to score. Wallace, Livingston and Reeves can all go by guys. I do think some of the 3 point shooting could be a concern and I do think they will rely on a stretch 4 to hit this year...at least based off practice today.

Team should be absolutely elite defensively. Long, quick, athletic and a few with really good fundamentals (Wallace, Thiero in particular at guard).

Most impressed:
° Collins/Toppin- two guys that will be fighting for minutes at same spot.

Least Impressed:
° Ware- just didn't see anything new; but not sure we need much more, he is a hustle guy

Biggest Surprise:
°Thiero- maybe it was low expectations but the defensive drills wowed me. He was quick and gaining praise from Cal. He has a lot to learn on offensive sets and got lost a few times, but it is June.

Last thing I'll add, yes....there were a HELL of a lot of GO's!!!!

GBB
Great stuff. Thanks.

Some only come here to bitch moan and whine , we all know.that !!

Reactions: Emarc
Hope he is good enough for 5-6 mins a game. Helps in the long run.

Thanks Hagan.

I'm trying to temper expectations because I'm tired of being burned. Tired of hearing "GOOOOO" too. But I like what I'm hearing otherwise. The lack of outside offense is concerning, but if our 4's can be stretch 4's that will be fantastic. That's how the pro game is going and it's not gimicky either. If you have a bigger guy that can shoot the three as well as abuse you inside? Game over. That's ridiculously hard defend.

I'm not worried about our players per se, I'm just worried how we're going to look overall and the big X factor known as Cal right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT