ADVERTISEMENT

Watching practice today...

A sign I'm getting old. I had to literally google Thiero to see who the hell he was. Oh yeah, now I remember reading about the Pittsburg 3 star who didn't play AAU but blew up his senior year. Reeves type player.

I'm super glad Collins stayed but I do see him as fools gold, if we need him to hit corner threes or initiate his own offense, I'm not gonna bet the house on good things happening.

RE: Thiero...Pilgrim just said on 630 that Dr's telling staff his growth plates are still open and they expect him to grow to 6'9".

They said he is literally going through growing pains right now.
If that turns out to be anywhere close to true that's crazy. His skill level in a 6'7" to 6'9" athletic body would have to make him the steal of the class, right?

RE: Thiero...Pilgrim just said on 630 that Dr's telling staff his growth plates are still open and they expect him to grow to 6'9".

They said he is literally going through growing pains right now.
He's got great athletic DNA too with Mom being a WNBA player along with Dad's talents. A 6'9 skilled player is scary.

#1 thing that was brought up by others about Thiero was just how nice/high character he is as well. Not that it is something that guarantees success, but it doesn't hurt your development.

The slight I see in Reeves' game is that he required the ball in his hands to be effective offensively. In all video I've seen, he very rarely catches/shoots or curls off screen/catches/get s to the basket. He will not be allowed to be ball dominant here...or at least very rarely. Hopefully the report of struggling with threes is just chalked up to a bad day.
That can be said about the best player on a lot of smaller schools. We'll see as the season moves on just how good he responds to better competition.

Please tell me they are working on at least one in-bounds play that has some hope of generating a shot at the bucket!

I know it must be hard and take lots of practice because they never could get one installed last year. Maybe with the extra practices for this Bahamas trip they can start working on it earlier? 😳
Whenever Cal does run an out of bounds play it will shock the opposing coach. Hope Cal saves his first such play for a special moment In a big game.

That can be said about the best player on a lot of smaller schools. We'll see as the season moves on just how good he responds to better competition.
Good point. Do like that Reeves is better going off dribble and not reliant on just spot shooting or coming off screens to shoot--Fredrick will surprise in terms of his ability to hit mid range and step back pull ups too. Last year's team was so reliant on Wheeler/TyTy to be playmakers/creators to set everyone up for jumpers--this group is better off the dribble and stronger in terms of finishing/drawing fouls. Guys who can dribble/attack the rim--Wheeler, Wallace, Livingston, Reeves, Toppin, Thiero--has to get stronger but can handle/pass yet to see if he can finish at this level but confident he'll get there. Fredrick is more of a 2 tier scorer but he'll get some open looks off that action.

He's got great athletic DNA too with Mom being a WNBA player along with Dad's talents. A 6'9 skilled player is scary.

#1 thing that was brought up by others about Thiero was just how nice/high character he is as well. Not that it is something that guarantees success, but it doesn't hurt your development.
It would be fun if this kid sticks around and turns into a Obi Toppin player for UK!!

Wondering if any of the freshman had a hard time understanding GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Or RUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!!!
Seems like sometimes they really do. It’s the only time I don’t fuss at Cal about it. Some of those early games our guys just walk it up the court. Frustrating!

Just got home...read some of above comments, just giving my honest take on some stuff. I will break down by drills and focus really on new guys or anything glaring I saw from returnees.

I stayed the full two hours. Will post some of the pics, etc in a bit. Not going to break down everything but just a couple drills and impressions on guys.

Of note- CJ and Canada were out of town this weekend and didn't participate in anything.

Half offense/defense over the two hours.

Offense:

Most memorable... Lot of work on penetration and floater or lob starting from 3/4 court on a sprint. Most of the guys handling the rock were Wheeler, Wallace, Reeves and Thiero. Wheeler and Wallace had some wars. Wheeler crossed Wallace bad once with a lob to Livingston or Toppin, cannot remember which. Shooting drills were 3 different sets of 3 guys on either end of court. One at top of key, one in corner and one on wing or just beyond elbow (Oscar).

I'll break down performance in a second as I saw it. Of note- corner shots were coming from stretch 4 guys- Livingston, Collins, Toppin.

Defense:

Alot of half court trap work between guards and 4 spot. One on one, big focus on slide hop to stay in front of offense. Special attention to Livingston on that.

Personnel Breakdown:

Oscar- didn't see much difference in approach; shot a few three's in drills here and there

Toppin- looks taller and stronger to me; outside shot looked good, in particular the corner from three. He made around 50 in 5 minute drill.

Collins- Ok, so much has been talked about his weight; to me I can see a difference...looks like a Sophomore or Junior McCarty in terms of body. Definitely still skinny. Was super impressed with his shooting from corner. He had some jaw dropping dunks. I expect a lot out of him. Could see him and Oscar playing together if he really can stretch the floor.

Wheeler- does look like he shed some weight; ridiculous how fast he is up close; we were feet from the guys in Craft Center. Went to camp last year but was never that close to Wheeler. He cannot be taller than 5'7". His 3 shots in drill were from top of key. He did well, again we are talking wide open at top of key but shot good IMHO.

Ware: Looks about the same to me. Maybe a little bigger. Didn't see anything major that stood out. Same type of player he has been.

Wallace: Will be an absolute star, no question in my mind. Though I've been wrong before. He didn't reply on perimeter game but did very well in 3pt drill. He can get by his man and is uber strong and has a quick second hop on a miss. Saw him miss on a drive and outrebound Oscar for his own putback which would have been an And1.

Livingston: Strong body, very physical but smooth. Pretty impressive. Doesn't look anything like a freshman...same for Wallace Had some very athletic dunks and a smooth shot from three. Had him in stretch 4 shooting drill.

Reeves:. I wasn't overly impressed from three. Hopefully this is just practice and not something to be worried about. Mid range game was money though, has a great floater and looked comfortable as a spot sub at PG...good handles.

Thiero: Was presently surprised. For one, he has a college ready body. Kid is clearly stronger than he looks from commit pics, etc. Very quick, was probably more impressed with him in defensive drills than anyone. He has the looks of someone who can be a lock down defender. Wouldn't be surprised if he plays more mins than I thought...like could fight into rotation. Shot looks good. He made 13-15 in a row from top of key drill. He then was off a bit but regrouped.

Overall:

I don't think the team will struggle to score. Wallace, Livingston and Reeves can all go by guys. I do think some of the 3 point shooting could be a concern and I do think they will rely on a stretch 4 to hit this year...at least based off practice today.

Team should be absolutely elite defensively. Long, quick, athletic and a few with really good fundamentals (Wallace, Thiero in particular at guard).

Most impressed:
° Collins/Toppin- two guys that will be fighting for minutes at same spot.

Least Impressed:
° Ware- just didn't see anything new; but not sure we need much more, he is a hustle guy

Biggest Surprise:
°Thiero- maybe it was low expectations but the defensive drills wowed me. He was quick and gaining praise from Cal. He has a lot to learn on offensive sets and got lost a few times, but it is June.

Last thing I'll add, yes....there were a HELL of a lot of GO's!!!!

GBB
Great read, thanks for the rundown and pics.

A sign I'm getting old. I had to literally google Thiero to see who the hell he was. Oh yeah, now I remember reading about the Pittsburg 3 star who didn't play AAU but blew up his senior year. Reeves type player.

I'm super glad Collins stayed but I do see him as fools gold, if we need him to hit corner threes or initiate his own offense, I'm not gonna bet the house on good things happening.
I think Collins money will be lobs and mid range shots but his form is good and he shoots FT’s well. If he develops to where he can hit 1-2 open corner 3’s every game or two that will be huge for us. He will not Initiate anything. He will be a play finisher.

Reactions: HagginHall1999

I wouldn’t mind getting 1 player like him every class, that way every four years you have guys that know the system and have developed into solid role players or starters.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Please tell me they are working on at least one in-bounds play that has some hope of generating a shot at the bucket!

I know it must be hard and take lots of practice because they never could get one installed last year. Maybe with the extra practices for this Bahamas trip they can start working on it earlier? 😳
After all the whole season hinges on out of bounds plays

I wouldn’t mind getting 1 player like him every class, that way every four years you have guys that know the system and have developed into solid role players or starters.
Personally, I would like to get no more than 1 or 2 OADs from any class. And instead add even more late-bloomers, higher skilled guys with good not great athleticism that don't project high on any future draft boards, and strong, athletic, hard-working Bigs that project to just need a little time and development.

Personally, I would like to get no more than 1 or 2 OADs from any class. And instead add even more late-bloomers, higher skilled guys with good not great athleticism that don't project high on any future draft boards, and strong, athletic, hard-working Bigs that project to just need a little time and development.
No matter what kind of player we get OAD (or at best2 years) is on the table with the culture Cal has created and fostered.

Reactions: seccats04
That’s not the type of player cal can win with he has to have elite talent to win or else it all goes to s***

Don’t mind getting 3 OAD because we can replace 3 guys a class fairly easily. It’s the other spots as you are talking about that would be nice for continuity and depth.

No matter what kind of player we get OAD (or at best2 years) is on the table with the culture Cal has created and fostered.
The Civil War (NBA draft) is over,

and the resulting economic explosion

spurs the great migration to the nba or G-League try-out contracts or whatever.

Forwards, centers, guards, killers and thieves... seek their fortunes.

Handlers and drovers turn ball clubs into farm camps...with kill rates higher than those

of modern-day New York or Los Angeles.

Out of this chaos comes the legendary none and done coach Ice Cream Cal,

retiring his badge and gun to start a peaceful life with his familia... Until the BBN came calling...

(Best I could do, it's late... ;))

I have been watching Cal teams since 1992 and I cant say that I remember him ever running an out of bounds play other than the one he runs today. Short lob to a big on the baseline, then handoff to a guard. Cant say that I have ever seen coaches hone in on it and figure out a way to steal it either! Cal is the kind of guy that if he lost a game as an assistant coach (or maybe even as a player) trying to pull off a slick out of bounds play in 1980, then he will never, ever, take that chance again as long as he can get it in bounds without being stolen!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT