ADVERTISEMENT

VT's Kerry Blackshear enters transfer portal

His father actually wants him to go to UK and if it was up to him he’d go to UK but hopefully his son goes by how you want it and makes the decision for himself

I actually hope Blackshear comes here and that his dad speaks for him the entire season, in every interview so that we never hear the kid's real voice.

Maybe his dad can even hold the scissors for him when we cut down the nets for #9.

No connection specific to Florida.
Moreso SEC. and sometimes outside.

I had commented about Kerry here several weeks ago - before he entered the portal or had suitors.

The main board for Florida is a pay site, right?

Back to Kerry - I’ll try to keep my thoughts off the board. I know it irks some. I’ve messages a few people here and there.

I’m back on the road, so wont be around much anyway - so ‘crazy will be happy!
Man thank you for all the information you provide some of us do appreciate it!

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
At least Cal realizes there is a need in the post and I’m sure he will find someone to man up.

Key word is “today” and i evan daniels won’t stick his neck out to say a kid is going anywhere until it 15 min before he decides
No kidding. I can't imagine a guy that is wanting to make the league goes to A&M for a first-year rebuild. That could be anything there. As far as FL he is from there but hasn't lived there for 4 years. I don't see the pull there just because he is from there. Plus they get 6ft11 Gak back which I have read how excited they are about him after having a medical redshirt this year and they signed a Top 40ish guy whos also 6ft11 who they say they expect to step right in. They also have 2 other big guys, 3 of these guys are 250lbs and listed as centers. Talk about a crowded frontcourt. The last thing I read on FL the other day said Mike White thought they needed shooters.

I mean it's all a guess right now, but if this dude is serious about making a business decision I can't see those 2 as the top contenders. One has his old coach and one is the state he is from and I think that's why they are linked, but they don't make much sense especially when it's a need for us and there is no bigger stage than UK. It's still early, I think if this guy is smart we will at least be in the top of the discussion with maybe another blueblood. I have heard that UNC has reached out also. Hopefully playing in the ACC he hates Dook and UNC LOL. So someone said his dad wants him to go to UK. Was that just BS or joking around or was there something said?

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
No kidding. I can't imagine a guy that is wanting to make the league goes to A&M for a first-year rebuild. That could be anything there. As far as FL he is from there but hasn't lived there for 4 years. I don't see the pull there just because he is from there. Plus they get 6ft11 Gak back which I have read how excited they are about him after having a medical redshirt this year and they signed a Top 40ish guy whos also 6ft11 who they say they expect to step right in. They also have 2 other big guys, 3 of these guys are 250lbs and listed as centers. Talk about a crowded frontcourt. The last thing I read on FL the other day said Mike White thought they needed shooters.

I mean it's all a guess right now, but if this dude is serious about making a business decision I can't see those 2 as the top contenders. One has his old coach and one is the state he is from and I think that's why they are linked, but they don't make much sense especially when it's a need for us and there is no bigger stage than UK. It's still early, I think if this guy is smart we will at least be in the top of the discussion with maybe another blueblood. I have heard that UNC has reached out also. Hopefully playing in the ACC he hates Dook and UNC LOL. So someone said his dad wants him to go to UK. Was that just BS or joking around or was there something said?

At the risk of making ‘crazy crazy:

I’m not sure what your reading, but Florida fans should really temper enthusiasm about Gak. He was very raw the last time he played, and that was two seasons ago. Serious questions remain about his ability to even play.
The only other true big on the team is Jitoboh, who I fully expect Florida will redshirt next year.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07

I’m not sure what your reading, but Florida fans should really temper enthusiasm about Gak. He was very raw the last time he played, and that was two seasons ago. Serious questions remain about his ability to even play.
The only other true big on the team is Jitoboh, who I fully expect Florida will redshirt next year.
And all we might have is butterfingers Nick Richards.Who knows what EJ will do.

Why do you think they will redshirt this 6ft11 300lb beast? He is ranked in the 40s isn't he? I can't find him on ESPN, but I thought I read he was decently ranked? Looks like maybe that's Omar, another center coming to FL ranked 41st. I read stories by FL writers while looking for info on Blackshear and they said they expect this kid to come in and contribute immediately. They also talked about the return of Gak and the excitement around it. Just FL articles I stumbled onto while looking for info on Blackshear. I can see if I can find them again I guess.

edit: Plus I just checked and FL has the ESPN 41st ranked player Omar Payne coming in listed as a 6ft9 210lb center also.

Jitoboh, a 6-foot-11, 300-pound center from Nigeria, might be the most impactful player among the three signees. During White’s four seasons as UF head coach, the inside game has struggled due to injuries and lack of development.

Jitoboh played this past season at Hamilton Heights Christian Academy in Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he helped lead his team to a 34-4 overall record and a top-25 finish in MaxPreps’ national rankings at 25. He also averaged 10.1 points and 5.6 rebounds on the Nike EYBL circuit last summer.

Jitoboh’s size is something White hasn’t been able to properly develop during his tenure at Florida. Look for Al Pinkins to help mold Jitoboh into a force under the basket.

Last edited:
And all we might have is butterfingers Nick Richards.Who knows what EJ will do.

I am not discounting the need at UK, or the other good points made.
I was just clarifying the reality of florida’s frontcourt situation.
They’ve needed a good center ever since that big kid blew his knee out a few years ago. His name escapes me.

Last edited:
LMAO. If that's what you need to tell yourself. :joy:

I'm honored to be messaged by #TheAnonymousMessageBoardLoyaltyEvaluator :joy:
Sorry for trying to help. I really wasn’t and am not attacking you.

That hashtag is very hypocritical though. Seeing as how you’ve been running around accusing another of being troll...

I can promise you that florida basketball and mike white will never truly make me crazy.

Why do you think they will redshirt this 6ft11 300lb beast? He is ranked in the 40s isn't he? I can't find him on ESPN, but I thought I read he was decently ranked? Looks like maybe that's Omar, another center coming to FL ranked 41st. I read stories by FL writers while looking for info on Blackshear and they said they expect this kid to come in and contribute immediately. They also talked about the return of Gak and the excitement around it. Just FL articles I stumbled onto while looking for info on Blackshear. I can see if I can find them again I guess.

edit: Plus I just checked and FL has the ESPN 41st ranked player Omar Payne coming in listed as a 6ft9 210lb center also.

Jitoboh, a 6-foot-11, 300-pound center from Nigeria, might be the most impactful player among the three signees. During White’s four seasons as UF head coach, the inside game has struggled due to injuries and lack of development.

Jitoboh played this past season at Hamilton Heights Christian Academy in Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he helped lead his team to a 34-4 overall record and a top-25 finish in MaxPreps’ national rankings at 25. He also averaged 10.1 points and 5.6 rebounds on the Nike EYBL circuit last summer.

Jitoboh’s size is something White hasn’t been able to properly develop during his tenure at Florida. Look for Al Pinkins to help mold Jitoboh into a force under the basket.

Jitoboh is a three star kid, ranked way outside the top 100. Very raw, but high ceiling. Florida took a flier and will look to develop. I’d be shocked if they didn’t redshirt him.
Payne is a good prospect, but from the times I’ve seen him play- is not close to offensively ready to step in for them.
Put it this way, there is not a center on Florida’s roster that would start in Lexington next year.

I am not discounting the need at UK, nor the other valid points made.
I was just clarifying the reality of florida’s frontcourt situation.
They’ve needed a good center ever since that big kid blew his knees out a few years ago. His name escapes me.
I did find one thing that backs up what you said about him redshirting, but it says that because FL already has too many centers. It says,
"The way the roster is currently constructed Florida has a ton of players at the center position in addition to Jitoboh including Dontay Bassett, Isaiah Stokes, Gorjok Gak, and Omar Payne and it’s also likely the Gators will be looking at a graduate transfer center to start on the team. This makes me think Jitoboh will be taking a redshirt season to start his time in Gainesville which would be excellent for the continued recovery of his foot as well as sharpening his skills and working on his physique. He won’t be relied upon to come in and play right away and a formative year could really help shape his career positively."

I did find one thing that backs up what you said about him redshirting, but it says that because FL already has too many centers. It says,
"The way the roster is currently constructed Florida has a ton of players at the center position in addition to Jitoboh including Dontay Bassett, Isaiah Stokes, Gorjok Gak, and Omar Payne and it’s also likely the Gators will be looking at a graduate transfer center to start on the team. This makes me think Jitoboh will be taking a redshirt season to start his time in Gainesville which would be excellent for the continued recovery of his foot as well as sharpening his skills and working on his physique. He won’t be relied upon to come in and play right away and a formative year could really help shape his career positively."

I think they played Bassett at the four a fair amount last year. He and Stokes are on that 6’8 range I believe.
I promise you, they don’t have any strong centers. They wouldn’t be pursuing Kerry if they were content at the position.
This is the first time we may see this board argue how loaded Florida (or other team) is at center! :)

All right, I’m boarding a plane. Maybe when I land I will read that Blackshear did not want to join the powerful Florida front court and is a Kentucky Wildcats!

I’ll be out of the loop for a while! Take care everyone! Good luck, fans!

Would anyone be unhappy if we just played small ball this year..I kinda like the game with a bunch of 6'7" forwards and a couple of 6'3" guards.. There really is not that many offensive centers these days and with speed and defense I think we will be a lot more fun to watch. Especially if we had some outside shooting and maybe full court press. Maybe we just need to make the game more fun for our recruits, to want to come and stay

Reactions: jace2012
Sorry for trying to help. I really wasn’t and am not attacking you.

That hashtag is very hypocritical though. Seeing as how you’ve been running around accusing another of being troll...
Who have I accused of being a troll? I think you might have me confused with someone else in that regard.

What are you trying to help? You do understand this is an anonymous message board on the internet, right?

I think they played Bassett at the four a fair amount last year. He and Stokes are on that 6’8 range I believe.
I promise you, they don’t have any strong centers. They wouldn’t be pursuing Kerry if they were content at the position.
This is the first time we may see this board argue how loaded Florida (or other team) is at center! :)

All right, I’m boarding a plane. Maybe when I land I will read that Blackshear did not want to join the powerful Florida front court and is a Kentucky Wildcats!

I’ll be out of the loop for a while! Take care everyone! Good luck, fans!
I'm not saying FL has a great talent like I said I just ran into these stories while trying to find out about Blackshear. Just sounds like FL has a lot more bodies on the roster at the position to us. I mean all Blackshear has to compete with at UK is Nick who struggled mightily this year. No idea where this guy is going I just can't imagine turning down the stage at UK for FL.

Reactions: kybballcrazy
Would anyone be unhappy if we just played small ball this year..I kinda like the game with a bunch of 6'7" forwards and a couple of 6'3" guards.. There really is not that many offensive centers these days and with speed and defense I think we will be a lot more fun to watch. Especially if we had some outside shooting and maybe full court press. Maybe we just need to make the game more fun for our recruits, to want to come and stay
I'm good with small ball and figured we would see those type lineups at least some next year. However at 9 players right now counting EJ I would like to add 1 more guard and a wing or PF still.

I'm not saying FL has a great talent like I said I just ran into these stories while trying to find out about Blackshear. Just sounds like FL has a lot more bodies on the roster at the position to us. I mean all Blackshear has to compete with at UK is Nick who struggled mightily this year. No idea where this guy is going I just can't imagine turning down the stage at UK for FL.
Hit it right on the head. Let’s go head to head with the great mike white and see what happens in the end.

I think we will see a lot of "small ball" next season if you consider Brooks at the 4 "small ball."

I like the idea.

Defensively, Cal switches everything and so having a quick 4 man will help with that.

Offensively, he can spread the floor and run the DDMO with a quick 4 that can shoot.

The drawback is a lack of physicality. They probably get pushed around a lot. Probably struggle to rebound a bit.

Hit it right on the head. Let’s go head to head with the great mike white and see what happens in the end.
Listen if Blackshear isn't on no draft boards now and he goes to Florida he won't be on no draft boards by the end of the season either. Some of these kids can't take the work that Calipari and staff put them through for the 9 months that prepare them for the draft. If he comes here he also has the " Kentucky Effect" to help his draft status out and I honestly believe that's a real thing!

Jitoboh is a three star kid, ranked way outside the top 100. Very raw, but high ceiling. Florida took a flier and will look to develop. I’d be shocked if they didn’t redshirt him.
Payne is a good prospect, but from the times I’ve seen him play- is not close to offensively ready to step in for them.
Put it this way, there is not a center on Florida’s roster that would start in Lexington next year.

Cal needs to recruit a kid like this jiyoboh every year. The fact he may rs goes at Florida goes to prove that there are players with potential out there who will play 4 years.

Listen if Blackshear isn't on no draft boards now and he goes to Florida he won't be on no draft boards by the end of the season either. Some of these kids can't take the work that Calipari and staff put them through for the 9 months that prepare them for the draft. If he comes here he also has the " Kentucky Effect" to help his draft status out and I honestly believe that's a real thing!
Dam right it's a real thing. You think if Herro went to WIS we would have heard his name much or he would be right outside of the lottery. I seriously doubt it. Pat Riley said he loves Uk payers because they are ready to go and the learning curve is much smaller for them to make the switch to the NBA and I don't think he is the only one that feels like that. So guys are going to gamble on a UK kid before they take a kid from a so so program unless they are an absolute star. That's one reason I don't get guys like Stewart going to the Pac 12 which is barely a Power 5 conference anymore, but he is probably good enough to overcome it, but some of the guys 15+ ranked can't. Stewart said he is a smart guy and wasn't going to get tricked by the blueblood programs. Ok, bro.

Brooks is a better example although unknown. If he went to IU there is a chance you might not have heard much from him or the IU team as a whole where is at Uk I wouldn't be shocked if he was the next 30-40 ranked guy to be OAD for the 3rd straight year. I would really be surprised if Blackshear came here and did well that he wasn't on a draft board next year let alone at least a late 1st rd. pick. Go to A&M or FL and you better dominate at all times and you still probably won't get the UK bump as others will.

Dam right it's a real thing. You think if Herro went to WIS we would have heard his name much or he would be right outside of the lottery. I seriously doubt it. Pat Riley said he loves Uk payers because they are ready to go and the learning curve is much smaller for them to make the switch to the NBA and I don't think he is the only one that feels like that. So guys are going to gamble on a UK kid before they take a kid from a so so program unless they are an absolute star. That's one reason I don't get guys like Stewart going to the Pac 12 which is barely a Power 5 conference anymore, but he is probably good enough to overcome it, but some of the guys 15+ ranked can't. Stewart said he is a smart guy and wasn't going to get tricked by the blueblood programs. Ok, bro.

Brooks is a better example although unknown. If he went to IU there is a chance you might not have heard much from him or the IU team as a whole where is at Uk I wouldn't be shocked if he was the next 30-40 ranked guy to be OAD for the 3rd straight year. I would really be surprised if Blackshear came here and did well that he wasn't on a draft board next year let alone at least a late 1st rd. pick. Go to A&M or FL and you better dominate at all times and you still probably won't get the UK bump as others will.

I think we may be overstating the Kentucky impact as it relates here.
The NBA will find its talent. Hell- this year’s top pick may be a kid from Murray State. I can’t tell you how many scouts are scouring the country each and every game.
If Florida has a pro player, like Bradley Beal, he won’t go undiscovered. Same can be said for TAMU - and quite frankly, nearly every other school.
What UK DOES offer is a unique experience - every game is a big game, a great fan following, a roster typically surrounded by other nba talent, a very good coach, excellent competition and an annual shot at a title.
But I don’t think we can pretend a kid is gonna miss his shot at the league if he plays at Florida, TAMU or elsewhere,
If there is a bump, it would pertain moreso to freshmen, who become hyped by signing with Kentucky. But they too need to perform.
Kerry is not an unknown. The league scouts and execs know him and his game and will see more of it in the coming weeks. He will play at a place that appeals to him most. And Kentucky does have a lot to offer, as I mentioned above.
I will say this, the longer he stays in the draft process - the more interesting this becomes. Teams will have to make decisions about waiting on him and possibly losing out on other options.
I’ll be out of the loop for several days so I’ll need you guys to keep me informed!

Reactions: Mr_GG

Well said. The Kentucky Effect is real!

Herro this year as a 4 star and Alexander last year as a 4 star there is no way if Herro would've ended up at Wisconsin and Alexander would've ended up at Florida would they have ever left after 1 year it would've been multiple years at those other schools!

Brooks is a better example although unknown. If he went to IU there is a chance you might not have heard much from him or the IU team as a whole where is at Uk I wouldn't be shocked if he was the next 30-40 ranked guy to be OAD for the 3rd straight year. I would really be surprised if Blackshear came here and did well that he wasn't on a draft board next year let alone at least a late 1st rd. pick. Go to A&M or FL and you better dominate at all times and you still probably won't get the UK bump as others will.[/QUOTE

Could you supply the link for what Riley said , I'd like to read it

I think we may be overstating the Kentucky impact as it relates here.
The NBA will find its talent. Hell- this year’s top pick may be a kid from Murray State. I can’t tell you how many scouts are scouring the country each and every game.
If Florida has a pro player, like Bradley Beal, he won’t go undiscovered. Same can be said for TAMU - and quite frankly, nearly every other school.
What UK DOES offer is a unique experience - every game is a big game, a great fan following, a roster typically surrounded by other nba talent, a very good coach, excellent competition and an annual shot at a title.
But I don’t think we can pretend a kid is gonna miss his shot at the league if he plays at Florida, TAMU or elsewhere,
If there is a bump, it would pertain moreso to freshmen, who become hyped by signing with Kentucky. But they too need to perform.
Kerry is not an unknown. The league scouts and execs know him and his game and will see more of it in the coming weeks. He will play at a place that appeals to him most. And Kentucky does have a lot to offer, as I mentioned above.
I will say this, the longer he stays in the draft process - the more interesting this becomes. Teams will have to make decisions about waiting on him and possibly losing out on other options.
I’ll be out of the loop for several days so I’ll need you guys to keep me informed!

I understand what you are saying and even agree somewhat, but if that's the case why isn't he in the Top 85 prospects? I mean I haven't even watched a ton of VT and know who the guy is and that he is a hell of a player. I mean he was all regional this year along with RJ and Zion. He has the build and he has put in the work and been successful and consistent. I can't imagine 85 better players ready for the league right now or even if you go on potential. He is built and plays like a pro, yet he isn't even mentioned with the draft. Therefore I still think a little Kentucky Effect could go along way. This guy has already done it all at a place like VT which I see as similar to FL or A&M. Time to switch it up.

Reid Travis got more hype one year at UK than he did four years at Standford, Blackshear could do the same. It never hurts to be hyped every time you step on the court for UK.

I understand what you are saying and even agree somewhat, but if that's the case why isn't he in the Top 85 prospects? I mean I haven't even watched a ton of VT and know who the guy is and that he is a hell of a player. I mean he was all regional this year along with RJ and Zion. He has the build and he has put in the work and been successful and consistent. I can't imagine 85 better players ready for the league right now or even if you go on potential. He is built and plays like a pro, yet he isn't even mentioned with the draft. Therefore I still think a little Kentucky Effect could go along way. This guy has already done it all at a place like VT which I see as similar to FL or A&M. Time to switch it up.

Reid Travis got more hype one year at UK than he did four years at Standford, Blackshear could do the same. It never hurts to be hyped every time you step on the court for UK.

Good posts.

I think this is best argument for him to come to UK.

The exposure of coming to UK and being in the spotlight.

Not as likely to get that at UF or A&M.

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT