ADVERTISEMENT

If you could pick a former UK player for Mark Pope to hire as an assistant. Who would it be?

Ford or maybe one of Cal's players to help mend fences which Pope seems to be good at! Maybe Ulisis We always need players that can be sent our way by the Pro's that left.

All you guys saying Rondo,do we really want to hire a guy who just got busted for drug and weapons charges in Indiana. Anyone remember team turmoil, oh yeah Rondo had nothing to do with that. Why do you think he played for so many different NBA teams,because he is a first class PRICK that can't get along with anybody for long. Yeah that's what UK needs right now a little more drama.

Why as a coach?
Not sure if anyone replied to you or not yet but Epps is in coaching already, but he back at the HS level now coaching and he's had a stint as an assistant for women at NKU.

I think he has went back N forth too much personally as far as he don't know if he wants to coach boys or girls or if he just gets in where he fits in but with that said he was one smart PG on the best team ever assembled in college so some fans will think he is/was an extension of Pitino. Epps is one of my top 3 all time favorite UK player, but I probably wouldn't want him as a coach. I know coaches move around a lot but AE path seems way unconventional.

Unconventional is fine btw. It just seems like he just goes with whatever is going on in life and wherever he lands he coaches a little ball and may teach some classes and gets paid and then goes from there. Nothing wrong with that but I don't think he'd like dealing with all the things you have to deal with to be an assistant at UK. He was a winner as a player and he made RP play his ass.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
All you guys saying Rondo,do we really want to hire a guy who just got busted for drug and weapons charges in Indiana. Anyone remember team turmoil, oh yeah Rondo had nothing to do with that. Why do you think he played for so many different NBA teams,because he is a first class PRICK that can't get along with anybody for long. Yeah that's what UK needs right now a little more drama.
I agree with this. It wouldn't be no time before he'd be into an argument with players or recruits. I always feel like Rondo would be another Winston Bennett waiting to happen when Winston hit one of his own players. Also, Doc Rivers was calling Tubby asking how the hell he handled Rondo at UK.

The only thing I'll disagree with is he wasn't on team turmoil but I wasn't sure if you were saying he was or wasn't. But no on Rondo. Glad he had good career and all that. I'm not knocking Rondo but I don't understand why so many ppl want him either. He was smart though, but also a smart ass jerk.

Not sure I want one on the bench as it stands right now. However I would like to have former players and coaches come in on a weekly basis to work with the team on both basketball and UK culture.

Would love for it to be a weekly podcast/YouTube stream of the practice were Pope breaks down some drills/plays with insight from former player/coaches. Watch the team run through the drills. Then have a speech with a question and answer from the current players with the former players.

That would be awesome. Sort of like the old coaches shows with Pitino/Rob Bromley on steroids.

Kyle macy we would lead the nation in free throw percentage man how many titles and games did we lose the last fifteen years from this deficiency

My choice would be Chuck Hayes. A man that played 12 years in the NBA as a 6'6" very undersized center. He did it with smarts, with hustle, with the proper fundamentals. He could work wonders with our low post players.
Ravi Moss, if interested. I always read he had a very cerebral approach to the game and was well-liked. Do not know if he would be interested, of course.

Nazr gets my vote for a lot of reasons. He put in MAJOR work on himself and was a pro longer than anyone else on those teams because he is smart and could mentor.

I agree with this. It wouldn't be no time before he'd be into an argument with players or recruits. I always feel like Rondo would be another Winston Bennett waiting to happen when Winston hit one of his own players. Also, Doc Rivers was calling Tubby asking how the hell he handled Rondo at UK.

The only thing I'll disagree with is he wasn't on team turmoil but I wasn't sure if you were saying he was or wasn't. But no on Rondo. Glad he had good career and all that. I'm not knocking Rondo but I don't understand why so many ppl want him either. He was smart though, but also a smart ass jerk.
Isnt it weird that their is never a team turmoil from winning, only from losing.

You can name a dime a dozen unqualified former players. The real challenge is hiring the best, regardless of where they played.
Again no one said your wrong but that isn’t the spirit of the thread regardless you wanting to change the thread.

Yes. It's not that simple though with free throws.
Repetition and practice along with the fundamentals when Kyle was the head coach at Morehead which he did not excel at his team's free throw % were among the top in division 1 basketball every year

Last edited:
I love our new head coach hire with Mark Pope but you have to admit as of yet he has no name recognition to turn heads. You need someone with recent big name recognition that these young players can relate to and that would be Rajon Rondo of the Boston Celtics and L.A. Lakers and your Kentucky Wildcats, and by all reports is a savant of the game of basketball, what young player would not be thrilled to be coached by this man with his experience in the NBA with championships to boot, a guy that's been there done that, plus If Louisville picked him up their recruiting would go up 10 fold.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
I love our new head coach hire with Mark Pope but you have to admit as of yet he has no name recognition to turn heads. You need someone with recent big name recognition that these young players can relate to and that would be Rajon Rondo of the Boston Celtics and L.A. Lakers and your Kentucky Wildcats, and by all reports is a savant of the game of basketball, what young player would not be thrilled to be coached by this man with his experience in the NBA with championships to boot, a guy that's been there done that, plus If Louisville picked him up their recruiting would go up 10 fold.
They would be excited about it.... Until they actually had to deal with rondo everyday.
Then the after effects and negative fallout from that would hinder the future atleast in the short term I feel.

Reactions: KFuqua
I would like to have kept Ulis as a grad assistant. He seemed to be the one talking and working with our guards last year on the bench. I’m not really sure what the other REAL coaches did? They never really spoke to the players. Just Cal.

I would like to have kept Ulis as a grad assistant. He seemed to be the one talking and working with our guards last year on the bench. I’m not really sure what the other REAL coaches did? They never really spoke to the players. Just Cal.
All ky fans would love to have someone like Ulis on the bench but he has no National name recognition for recruiting, you can't win the Ky Derby with a mule

All ky fans would love to have someone like Ulis on the bench but he has no National name recognition for recruiting, you can't win the Ky Derby with a mule
He is still a graduate assistant this year at Arkansas. I wasn’t suggesting he be a full time coach with us. Also, we have people in support roles. They can work with players individually but not the team if I’m not wrong. It’s usually how anyone starts out in coaching unless your daddy gets you on staff.

Never understood hiring a guy just because he went here. Hire the best guy for the job and if he did go here that’s just a plus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT