ADVERTISEMENT

VJ Edgecombe playing at 5:30 ET on ESPNU

Duke schools Calipari again for an elite recruit.

I really can’t believe anyone thought we even had a chance. This is the same situation as any other elite recruit, wing, top 5.

Duke intentionally keeps their players interested in Kentucky. I have little doubt this is purposely done. Then the player picks Duke nearly every time, so much so that Duke was highly pissed off at the recruitments of Harrison Barnes and Kevin Knox. They were doing the same thing with both of them to UNC and UK. UNC doesn’t allow recruits to use their name unless they’re sure since the Williams era.

K is still very much the GM at Duke. I’ve believed from day one that we have to hope Scheyer doesn’t win a title in the first 5 years because K will most certainly be unable to have influence by then. Next year is the 3rd season.

This recruitment was all Duke day one. If Edgecome was not a lock to Duke, they typically don’t leave their hat on the table like Calipari will. I’ve always thought how ridiculous it is that Calipari will just allow the UK brand to be beaten in perception on a constant basis on the recruiting trail. It’s not good in any way to allow kids to use your name if they’re not committing to you, or you don’t think you’re in a good position. Duke has been a master at this and it’s paid off.

You have to take care of your program and concentrate on every single in and out to remain the goat. Under Calipari I fear we’re going to chalk up being the goat program. He’s convinced many it’s meaningless, and I never thought that could happen here. I think Calipari does some things very well but this area I have huge problems with.

This is so dishonest on so many levels. Duke has been recruiting that kid for 3 years. UK Got involved late. It's not like they put in the same amount of time and effort and Duke came out on top. You gotta get over your Cal negativity.
No. There is no negativity toward cal it’s reality of the last 7 years. It’s on cal to fix it. Not for fans to accept him and his mediocre product. Cal has a helluva lot of work to win the fanbase back. Half of it has stopped posting and display severe apathy. The negativity is what cal has done to take UK to this level of apathy displayed by fans.

No. There is no negativity toward cal it’s reality of the last 7 years. It’s on cal to fix it. Not for fans to accept him and his mediocre product. Cal has a helluva lot of work to win the fanbase back. Half of it has stopped posting and display severe apathy. The negativity is what cal has done to take UK to this level of apathy displayed by fans.
7 years?
2017-2018 Sweet 16
2018-2019 Elite 8
2019- 2020. SEC Champs (Covid)
2020-2021 9-16
2021-2022 1st RdSt Peters
2022-2023. 2nd Rd K State

Reactions: CalCat57
7 years?
2017-2018 Sweet 16
2018-2019 Elite 8
2019- 2020. SEC Champs (Covid)
2020-2021 9-16
2021-2022 1st RdSt Peters
2022-2023. 2nd Rd K State
Ok you got me 8 years. And you brag about your list of accomplishments??? The only UK fan out there to brag about an elite 8. I remember when results better than what you listed got a good man run out of Lexington.

Gonna need Reed to come back now for sure. Otherwise, our backcourt scoring could take a huge nosedive next season. We replace Reeves and three first round guards with Fland, Perry, and potentially Knox. That's not nearly enough.
In that scenario UK would certainly need more players at both Guard and SF. I’m sure the portal will have some very good options there. Of course, if you really want them then you have to be willing to recruit those top transfers just as hard as you do the top ranked high school players.

But you also left out Hart. I don’t know whether or how much Hart will be able to contribute, but he at least has the size and appears to have the shooting stroke to play big time CBB. I don’t draw an immediate negative conclusion from the fact that Hart isn’t playing as a freshman. Although a few times I’ve been perplexed as to why he didn’t at least get more run when the game was well in hand. Seems like that would have been good for the purpose of at least getting him a little more comfortable, even if not a ton of useful game experience. But if Hart doesn’t at least have the potential to eventually be a significant player at UK’s level then he should never have been recruited.

Last edited:
Gonna need Reed to come back now for sure. Otherwise, our backcourt scoring could take a huge nosedive next season. We replace Reeves and three first round guards with Fland, Perry, and potentially Knox. That's not nearly enough.
Either that or they are gonna have to get Peterson to reclass, and get 2 good scoring guards/wings from the portal

Reactions: Fox2monk
I really can’t believe anyone thought we even had a chance. This is the same situation as any other elite recruit, wing, top 5.

Duke intentionally keeps their players interested in Kentucky. I have little doubt this is purposely done. Then the player picks Duke nearly every time, so much so that Duke was highly pissed off at the recruitments of Harrison Barnes and Kevin Knox. They were doing the same thing with both of them to UNC and UK. UNC doesn’t allow recruits to use their name unless they’re sure since the Williams era.

K is still very much the GM at Duke. I’ve believed from day one that we have to hope Scheyer doesn’t win a title in the first 5 years because K will most certainly be unable to have influence by then. Next year is the 3rd season.

This recruitment was all Duke day one. If Edgecome was not a lock to Duke, they typically don’t leave their hat on the table like Calipari will. I’ve always thought how ridiculous it is that Calipari will just allow the UK brand to be beaten in perception on a constant basis on the recruiting trail. It’s not good in any way to allow kids to use your name if they’re not committing to you, or you don’t think you’re in a good position. Duke has been a master at this and it’s paid off.

You have to take care of your program and concentrate on every single in and out to remain the goat. Under Calipari I fear we’re going to chalk up being the goat program. He’s convinced many it’s meaningless, and I never thought that could happen here. I think Calipari does some things very well but this area I have huge problems with.
This post is silly as hell. Duke is not going to complicate things in the recruitment of a 5 star.
A kid can choose to place any hat on the table that he wants.

Reactions: UK19 and jace2012
This post is silly as hell. Duke is not going to complicate things in the recruitment of a 5 star.
A kid can choose to place any hat on the table that he wants.

Duke will 100% stop recruiting players that they don’t feel pretty confident they’re getting. That’s been apparent for a really long time. I believe they pretty much know before hand most of the time since Nike threw all the wind at their back. And I do not like Calipari allowing the UK brand to be turned away constantly. Just doesn’t look good. When you’re against Duke and probably not getting the player stop with it.

Flagg and Edgecombe ?????

Let me go throw up thinking about it

Flagg is not as good as labeled. I think sometimes people get a little trigger happy on his impact because, well, he doesn’t play like a lot of traditional white players. I’m usually on edge because of how Duke has landed certain players in some of these classes, but for some reason I just don’t believe Flagg is actually as good as he’s being labeled. He’s going to have some highlight reels and 25 point nights, but he’s going to lose them games too.

Ok you got me 8 years. And you brag about your list of accomplishments??? The only UK fan out there to brag about an elite 8. I remember when results better than what you listed got a good man run out of Lexington.
So we’re supposed to run the table every year all the way to the Final Four? Got it.

Imo Flagg has nothing on the impact of Zion. He’s not as strong and can’t shoot / very limited in his ability he’s just great where he’s great. If given the option I’d rather have Edge.

And definitely Sheppard > Flagg without a doubt for me.
Flagg to me will do the little aspects of the game better but he doesn’t have the star power Zion had. I think it will like the media coverage that Duke team got more than anything

So we’re supposed to run the table every year all the way to the Final Four? Got it.
Like I said it took far less to run tubby out and your statement there is as stale as cal. That’s the go to cal cult statement how about a final four every year it’s the dumbest statement a fan can make in face of all the losing we have done. I mean why did we run tubby out but give cal a pass? Be honest. And while you’re at it tell us what your expectation is for uk bb bc we haven’t been in the thick of anything for a long time. You’re everything wrong with our fb and bb programs your mindset.

Duke will 100% stop recruiting players that they don’t feel pretty confident they’re getting. That’s been apparent for a really long time. I believe they pretty much know before hand most of the time since Nike threw all the wind at their back. And I do not like Calipari allowing the UK brand to be turned away constantly. Just doesn’t look good. When you’re against Duke and probably not getting the player stop with it.
What can UK do about a kid throwing UK on his final list? This stuff has been going on forever and Kentucky still gets their share of top players. I’m just glad he’s making a decision soon so UK can look elsewhere.

Reactions: Fox2monk
It’s going to be interesting to see how Scheyer coaches a team full of wing players and keep them happy

Flagg is not as good as labeled. I think sometimes people get a little trigger happy on his impact because, well, he doesn’t play like a lot of traditional white players. I’m usually on edge because of how Duke has landed certain players in some of these classes, but for some reason I just don’t believe Flagg is actually as good as he’s being labeled. He’s going to have some highlight reels and 25 point nights, but he’s going to lose them games too.
Where would you rank him in the class?

Well what are you gonna do, not go after the top players? Duke is the only school that beats UK so are you just gonna stop recruiting a player because Duke is involved?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT