ADVERTISEMENT

VJ Edgecombe playing at 5:30 ET on ESPNU

Are you all expecting many guys to return from this years squad?
There is speculation that Roach, McCain, Foster, Mitchell, Power, Stewart and Schutt will all be back, but who knows with these kids man. We both see head scratchers leave earlier than they should every year right? There is a lot of talent coming in next year but the thing this year's team misses the most is a good rebounding and defensive 5 man. Ngongba and if he comes, Maluach could help with that.

Didn’t we just kill it with this past class? Our class this year is very good again. Yes getting V would have been great but stop acting like we don’t get our fair share of elite players. Many people believe Q may end up being the best in the class. Let tomorrow take care of tomorrow people. Enjoy the day.

There is speculation that Roach, McCain, Foster, Mitchell, Power, Stewart and Schutt will all be back, but who knows with these kids man. We both see head scratchers leave earlier than they should every year right? There is a lot of talent coming in next year but the thing this year's team misses the most is a good rebounding and defensive 5 man. Ngongba and if he comes, Maluach could help with that.
If roach came back he would be entering Perry Ellis territory lol

Reactions: Fox2monk
Duke will 100% stop recruiting players that they don’t feel pretty confident they’re getting. That’s been apparent for a really long time. I believe they pretty much know before hand most of the time since Nike threw all the wind at their back. And I do not like Calipari allowing the UK brand to be turned away constantly. Just doesn’t look good. When you’re against Duke and probably not getting the player stop with it.
Good lord Doofus. Cal and every other school turns away from recruits regularly. Schools back away for any number of reasons.

Where would you rank him in the class?

By their criteria he’d be way up there. I just don’t think he’s as good as most. He’s not a good shooter, college defenses will cause him problems. He’s just a highlight reel on breakaways. If he was black the hype wouldn’t be this extreme. That’s my opinion, I think it’s more of a wow factor because his style is an anomaly for white dudes typically.
Good lord Doofus. Cal and every other school turns away from recruits regularly. Schools back away for any number of reasons.

Tell me you don’t follow national recruiting without telling me you don’t follow national recruiting.

Flagg is not as good as labeled.
I have no idea what that means. He's a very good shooter and passer, and a quick leaper. And he dribbles well. I think people who denigrate him are whistling in the graveyard. Evaluating him is tough because everyone on that team would be THE star on most teams.

We'll see. Sometimes prodigies burn out and some of the rest of the world catch up.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
I have no idea what that means. He's a very good shooter and passer, and a quick leaper. And he dribbles well. I think people who denigrate him are whistling in the graveyard. Evaluating him is tough because everyone on that team would be THE star on most teams.

We'll see. Sometimes prodigies burn out and some of the rest of the world catch up.

I could definitely be wrong, obviously, but I just think the wow factor of a white kid playing to that level makes his name garner more attention and it’s contributed to how well he’s projected.

If you watch him play he doesn’t have a great shot selection and doesn’t hit the 3 well. His handles are okay not unworldy.

I think he’s probably overrated and it won’t take long to realize it. He’s not an AD or a Zion caliber, I admit that is really what I mean. Obviously hes good but he’s not that, and I wouldn’t trade a second year Sheppard for him in any world.

I could definitely be wrong, obviously, but I just think the wow factor of a white kid playing to that level makes his name garner more attention and it’s contributed to how well he’s projected.

If you watch him play he doesn’t have a great shot selection and doesn’t hit the 3 well. His handles are okay not unworldy.

I think he’s probably overrated and it won’t take long to realize it. He’s not an AD or a Zion caliber, I admit that is really what I mean. Obviously hes good but he’s not that, and I wouldn’t trade a second year Sheppard for him in any world.
He has a loose handle too.

By their criteria he’d be way up there. I just don’t think he’s as good as most. He’s not a good shooter, college defenses will cause him problems. He’s just a highlight reel on breakaways. If he was black the hype wouldn’t be this extreme. That’s my opinion, I think it’s more of a wow factor because his style is an anomaly for white dudes typically.

Tell me you don’t follow national recruiting without telling me you don’t follow national recruiting.
We will have to agree to disagree. I think he is an extremely skilled player that will do very well in college.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Duke will 100% stop recruiting players that they don’t feel pretty confident they’re getting. That’s been apparent for a really long time. I believe they pretty much know before hand most of the time since Nike threw all the wind at their back. And I do not like Calipari allowing the UK brand to be turned away constantly. Just doesn’t look good. When you’re against Duke and probably not getting the player stop with it.
please explain that comment

I thought the only reason we got involved with VJ was Chuck Martin s recruitment of him while at Oregon.
UK got in late.
If Duke gets Peterson then that cause for concern.

Reactions: bigbluedon
That shouldn't happen. UK or Kansas is getting Peterson.
Yeah that was my point.
It would be a huge recruiting coup by Duke the same way UK getting VJ would be.
Chuck Martin got UK's foot in the door with VJ based on prior relationship but Duke has always been the frontrunner.
Some people are acting like Duke is stealing VJ from us.

Reactions: lsb34m3
Yeah that was my point.
Chuck Martin got UK's foot in the door with VJ based on prior relationship but Duke has always been the frontrunner.
Yeah, Kentucky did make up alot of ground but unfortunately not enough.

Yeah that was my point.
Thank you!

Imo Flagg has nothing on the impact of Zion. He’s not as strong and can’t shoot / very limited in his ability he’s just great where he’s great. If given the option I’d rather have Edge.

And definitely Sheppard > Flagg without a doubt for me.
Keep telling yourself that, bet if we got him you would be singing different tune lol

Let us look at it in a positive way if Edgecombe does not come here. We need a couple older proven guys to go with all the youth so we don't take so many losses. So having to go out and get a can't miss portal guy for the two could be a better situation for us in terms of winning the championship. Not taking some early losses because of youth can only help our seeding in the end.

Reactions: Fox2monk and G-PIP
Cal went to see Edgecombe tonight.

How in the hell does Trilly Donovan have information that the UK coaching staff, Duke coaching staff, and Baylor coaching staff don't have access to?
I’m fully convinced he is a main media person that everybody knows, or a agent/shoe guy with multiple connections

Yeah that was my point.
Kansas seems to be the bigger worry for Peterson

Reactions: Kentucky15
I’m not the only person in the world that believes Flagg is not as good as projected. I didn’t say he sucks, and I didn’t say he wouldn’t do really well. I said he’s not as good as he’s projected and he’s overrated. If you think he’s about to set college on fire like an AD or Zion you’re going to be mistaken. He doesn’t do everything great and he’s really average in some areas. But he’s a white kid that plays like a 21 year old Kobe and so everyone is paying attention to that more so than really looking at what he is. It’s just what rarities make us do.

He’s good and he’s a highlight reel. He’s going to get a lot of points but I think it takes him a while to get going out of the gate and once college coaches have him on tape he’s going to have to do a lot more to be a college player of the year candidate, which is what he’s billed as. He’s been called everything included the next Goat, POY guy, NBA HOFer. I don’t see it.

I said Greg Oden wouldn’t be a good pro, I said AD would be a potential HOFer, I said Zion wouldn’t have a great pro career. I’m confident enough in what I see to say Flagg is overrated. I don’t think in today’s game he shoots well enough to ever be one of those guys. His athletic impact and limited range of tools will put limits on his ability to impact competitive games with skilled players moving forward.

Last edited:
Didn’t we just kill it with this past class? Our class this year is very good again. Yes getting V would have been great but stop acting like we don’t get our fair share of elite players. Many people believe Q may end up being the best in the class. Let tomorrow take care of tomorrow people. Enjoy the day.
We're probably losing 85 points per game worth of scoring.

Right now, we're bringing in Fland, who is not a transcendent player. Quaintance is our only guy who is transcendent in the present class.

Let's say we get lucky and Sheppard returns; we still would need to replace 72 points per game with Sheppard back.

Quaintance is good for 15/game.

Fland is good for 10 to 12/game.

Perry is good for 4 to 8/game.

Richmond is good for 4 to 8/game.

Cyril is good for 2 to 4/game.

An improved Onyenso is good for 4 to 6/game. +2 to 4 from this year year.

An improved Thiero is good for 10 to 12/game. +3-5 from this year.

We're still at a -23 to 25 point per game deficit off this year. We're not going to be nearly as good next year.

VJ Edgecombe would go a long way to alleviating the scoring stress load that next year's squad will face. If we miss on Edgecombe, we've really got to lock in Peterson and Knox and probably add one more from the portal (at minimum).

Right now, we're bringing in Fland, who is not a transcendent player. Quaintance is our only guy who is transcendent in the present class.

Let's say we get lucky and Sheppard returns; we still would need to replace 72 points per game with Sheppard back.

We're still at a -23 to 25 point per game deficit off this year. We're not going to be nearly as good next year.

VJ Edgecombe would go a long way to alleviating the scoring stress load that next year's squad will face. If we miss on Edgecombe, we've really got to lock in Peterson and Knox and probably add one more from the portal (at minimum).
I hear what you are saying and mostly agree. We will need an elite scorer to help next year. I just don’t agree with the whole scenario of losing him when basically his entire recruitment we weren’t even in his top choices until recently. It’s the overly dramatic bunch that I’m disagreeing with. There are needs and he would be an amazing addition but the staff will get another 1 or 2 additions that will benefit the team. Will they be as good? That’s to be decided when play starts next year. I just want to enjoy this ride wherever it goes.

It looks like Duke is gaining momentum to land Edgecombe.

• Sad

While I understand what you are saying, we won’t know how good or not good we will be next year for a long time. Some folks had us destined for the INT this year because it looked like we weren’t going to have a complete roster.

they have been for decades
yes it does suck
Cal is the only coach we have had that has somewhat leveled the playing field
Duke beats us for about 80% of the RSCI top 10 guys we recruit against them.

So if landing about 20% of our top 10 targets against Duke is leveling the field, Cal is the man.

Reactions: BlueBlackNWhite

Depends on who we snag in the portal as well. I think we will go after a scoring wing to replace Reeves scoring and role. Maybe even another guard.

That’s old. It has St. John’s with the highest probability and they didn’t make his final 3 list.

Duke. Done deal. Scheyer is still the man on the recruiting trail. And after last night, is figuring out how to win on the road.
UNC beat Coach K in his final game, and destroyed Duke at Duke in K's last home game.

Nothing you guys do in recruiting with Edgecombe will change that bitter, everlasting taste of getting owned by your arch rival in K's most memorable final games.

How does that make you feel?

979ff9da-1206-48d9-b047-16f7415c8fd4_text.gif

Duke. Done deal. Scheyer is still the man on the recruiting trail. And after last night, is figuring out how to win on the road.
Oh yea they beat that juggernaut Pitt team with the loser ex Dook coach!! I would be surprised if there not number 1 in next week's poll!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT