ADVERTISEMENT

Vermont- 9th state to legalize weed

Prohibition is not the answer. Never has been, never will be. It didn't work with alcohol, and it will never work with drugs. In the War On Drugs it's very apparent that drugs are winning, and it's not even close. Legalize and regulate. That's the only way to maintain marginal control.

Pills were regulated, how'd that turnout?

Just as marijuana isn't a gateway to stronger drugs, it isn't a gateway to lesser drug use either. Pillheads aren't going to magically start smoking weed just because they can legally grow it. Pillheads are still going to take pills just as alcoholics are still going to drink.
No the people that want pills are still going to get them but maybe less innocent people will be hooked on them if they are prescribed an option of marijuana instead

Pills kill people weed does not. I think that part is flying right over your head

No, it's not flying right over my head. You think solving one problem with another problem will solve the issues. It won't solve either issue, if you're addicted to pain pills, marijuana won't solve that problem. The solution is to NOT become addicted in the first place.

If you can't get through the day without getting high, you've got bigger issues than whether marijuana is legal or not.

No, it's not flying right over my head. You think solving one problem with another problem will solve the issues. It won't solve either issue, if you're addicted to pain pills, marijuana won't solve that problem. The solution is to NOT become addicted in the first place.

If you can't get through the day without getting high, you've got bigger issues than whether marijuana is legal or not.
No one said you are curing addiction with marijuana. What everyone is saying is that it can be an alternative to hopefully stop people from being addicted in the first place.

Everyone has issues and vices. Some people drink two cups of coffee every morning and some people take a GB. Do you drink coffee? Do you eat when you’re not hungry?

No one said you are curing addiction with marijuana. What everyone is saying is that it can be an alternative to hopefully stop people from being addicted in the first place.

Everyone has issues and vices. Some people drink two cups of coffee every morning and some people take a GB. Do you drink coffee? Do you eat when you’re not hungry?

Drinking coffee is not the same as getting high, the fact you even use that as an example tells me all I need to know.

The alternative is to prescribe medicine properly, don't give a person 120 pills at a time.

Drinking coffee is not the same as getting high, the fact you even use that as an example tells me all I need to know.

The alternative is to prescribe medicine properly, don't give a person 120 pills at a time.
Coffee gets you high the same way weed gets me high. It gets me up and going. Without it I would be sluggish all day. Without coffee a coffee drinker will be sluggish all day. Just because you do a drug doesn’t make it any better or better for you than the drug that I do. Caffeine is more harmful than THC

Reactions: UKdondee
Pills were regulated, how'd that turnout?

Abuse of prescription pain meds is a far more manageable problem than abuse of black market drugs is. And that’s the point here.

Alcohol abuse is a problem in our country. Prohibition on alcohol added dozens of additional problems...and people continued to abuse alcohol. It was a very painful experiment in our history, and we learned nothing from it.

Legalize and regulate. It’s the only way to maintain marginal control. Or we can continue to enforce prohibition laws, force drugs onto the black market, and have absolutely no control.

Abuse of prescription pain meds is a far more manageable problem than abuse of black market drugs is. And that’s the point here.

Alcohol abuse is a problem in our country. Prohibition on alcohol added dozens of additional problems...and people continued to abuse alcohol. It was a very painful experiment in our history, and we learned nothing from it.

Legalize and regulate. It’s the only way to maintain marginal control. Or we can continue to enforce prohibition laws, force drugs onto the black market, and have absolutely no control.
Don’t talk sense to bill. He is part of the reefer madness

He is probably drinking a cup of joe smoking a cigar as we speak. Already took his morning pain pills to make it through the day and will take another dose before bed to help him sleep through the night. But because I compared weed to coffee I’ve told him “all he needs to know”

I agree that prescription pain med abuse is manageable, I just don't think using marijuana as a recourse is the answer. Simply don't over prescribe, which is starting to take hold now. Before my mother passed away, her pain management clinic was starting to weed out those that needed and those that wanted it by refusing to continue prescriptions for smokers.

How many lives have been ruined by alcohol abuse? How many families ripped apart, children damaged?

Last edited:
Don’t talk sense to bill. He is part of the reefer madness

He is probably drinking a cup of joe smoking a cigar as we speak. Already took his morning pain pills to make it through the day and will take another dose before bed to help him sleep through the night. But because I compared weed to coffee I’ve told him “all he needs to know”

Dude, give me a break, you simply want to get high and are trying to justify by another means. I don't agree and it pisses you off.

Dude, give me a break, you simply want to get high and are trying to justify by another means. I don't agree and it pisses you off.
Bill I’m going to get high anyway. I’m not thinking about how it would benefit me because it would not. It would however benefit people your age who take their daily meds that they will eventually get hooked to and either OD or destroy their liver.

Reefer madness is over gramps, it’s just a plant. It shouldn’t be illegal to put a seed into the ground and let nature take its course. But I guess as long as you keep pumping yourself full of your man made drugs it will keep your mind off it

Bill I’m going to get high anyway. I’m not thinking about how it would benefit me because it would not. It would however benefit people your age who take their daily meds that they will eventually get hooked to and either OD or destroy their liver.

Reefer madness is over gramps, it’s just a plant. It shouldn’t be illegal to put a seed into the ground and let nature take its course. But I guess as long as you keep pumping yourself full of your man made drugs it will keep your mind off it

I'm probably close to the same age you are, I just watched my mother die from opioid use. I don't take any pain pills ,nor have I been addicted to them.

I think your entire argument is flawed, the way to get a hold of the opiod crisis is not to simply switch to another drug. It's simple, don't overprescribe.

I had back surgery 3 years ago, they gave me 120 pills, and another prescription for the same. There was no reason on gods green earth to give me that much. I ended up flushing approx 100 of them, and taking the unfilled prescription back to the doc.

How many lives have been ruined by alcohol abuse? How many families ripped apart, children damaged?

A great question! Thousands? Tens of thousands? And that was the reason for National prohibition 90 years ago. So they outlawed the manufacture and distribution of alcohol. Gangsters moved in and filled the void. People were murdered, gangsters got rich, police and judges got rich from bribe money, and the alcohol abuse continued. It was a horrible failure and we let it go for 15 years before undoing it. My hope is that some day we undo prohibition on drugs. Because, repeat after me, prohibition does not work!

A great question! Thousands? Tens of thousands? And that was the reason for National prohibition 90 years ago. So they outlawed the manufacture and distribution of alcohol. Gangsters moved in and filled the void. People were murdered, gangsters got rich, police and judges got rich from bribe money, and the alcohol abuse continued. It was a horrible failure and we let it go for 15 years before undoing it. My hope is that some day we undo prohibition on drugs. Because, repeat after me, prohibition does not work!

Millions.. Gangters didn't go away, they didn't stop getting rich, they didn't stop murdering people, judges and police still got bribed, and alcohol abuse went rampant.
So again, what changed with the removal of prohibition? The only thing that changed was the number of people affected by alcohol abuse exploded.

I'm not against drinking, but lets not pretend that everything got better after prohibition ended. We traded one set of problems for another multiplied by 10.

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
Millions.. Gangters didn't go away, they didn't stop getting rich, they didn't stop murdering people, judges and police still got bribed, and alcohol abuse went rampant.
So again, what changed with the removal of prohibition? The only thing that changed was the number of people affected by alcohol abuse exploded.

I'm not against drinking, but lets not pretend that everything got better after prohibition ended. We traded one set of problems for another multiplied by 10.
You’re not against drinking but you’re against smoking pot? Why? It’s been proven to cause more deaths and be more harmful on the body? It makes good people mean. I’ve never seen someone mean who was high on weed

You’re not against drinking but you’re against smoking pot? Why? It’s been proven to cause more deaths and be more harmful on the body? It makes good people mean. I’ve never seen someone mean who was high on weed

That horse is out of the stall, and it ain't going back. I think Pot will be legal in the next 20 years at most.

Bill must be a ton of fun.

That's definitely the guy who either shuts all the lights off and acts like he's not home or hands out apples for Halloween.

What a holier than thou dbag.

Holier than thou? Because I don't think even more chemically induced folks is a good thing?
When you resort to name calling it shows you can't refute the argument.

Dude, you need to read a little more, and pay attention to reality. Do you think that in 2018 that gangsters control the manufacture and distribution of alcohol in this country? Or are legal, regulated KY companies distilling good bourbon whiskey and selling it through regulated liquor retail outlets?

Dude, you need to read a little more, and pay attention to reality. Do you think that in 2018 that gangsters control the manufacture and distribution of alcohol in this country? Or are legal, regulated KY companies distilling good bourbon whiskey and selling it through regulated liquor retail outlets?

Did I say that? I said all those issues you listed didn't go away, they only changed to something else. How many millions of people have been hurt by alcohol use, become damaged goods by a parent or loved one, marriages ruined.

I completely understand the money aspect of it, but it comes with a cost.

Did I say that? I said all those issues you listed didn't go away, they only changed to something else. How many millions of people have been hurt by alcohol use, become damaged goods by a parent or loved one, marriages ruined.

Weed isn’t alcohol and it doesn’t interact with the brain the same way

Yes, gangsters moved on to other things made illegal. Prostitution, gambling, drugs, etc..

Again, none of those problems with alcohol you listed went away with prohibition. And none of the drug abuse problems are gone, and we’ve been fighting the futile War On Drugs since the Nixon administration. You can not control a man’s appetite for self-medication by making a substance illegal.

Yes, gangsters moved on to other things made illegal. Prostitution, gambling, drugs, etc..

Again, none of those problems with alcohol you listed went away with prohibition. And none of the drug abuse problems are gone, and we’ve been fighting the futile War On Drugs since the Nixon administration. You can not control a man’s appetite for self-medication by making a substance illegal.

There is no magic bullet,people are always going to do things that are not in their best interest. However, the scope and scale of them can be limited.

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
There is no magic bullet,people are always going to do things that are not in their best interest. However, the scope and scale of them can be limited.

I agree! But prohibition is not the answer. If it were, we would not have a heroin epidemic. We should stop treating drug abuse as a criminal justice issue. Instead, combat it as a public health issue. Offer treatment and counseling to abusers. It’s far cheaper and far more effective than prosecution and jail time.

I agree! But prohibition is not the answer. If it were, we would not have a heroin epidemic. We should stop treating drug abuse as a criminal justice issue. Instead, combat it as a public health issue. Offer treatment and counseling to abusers. It’s far cheaper and far more effective than prosecution and jail time.

We have a heroin epidemic because we created a pill epidemic. Addicts don’t stop because you take away their pills, they go another route, heroin.

Treatment and counseling only work if the person truly has hit bottom in almost every scenario. You can put a person in the best treatment possible, and if they don’t realize they’re in a life or death struggle they will use again 9 out of 10 times.

We have a heroin epidemic because we created a pill epidemic. Addicts don’t stop because you take away their pills, they go another route, heroin.

Treatment and counseling only work if the person truly has hit bottom in almost every scenario. You can put a person in the best treatment possible, and if they don’t realize they’re in a life or death struggle they will use again 9 out of 10 times.

But prohibition works, so heroin is not available for them.

Ok, I’m done here. I got to do something productive today. And my forehead is now bruised from hitting this brick wall.

I need a joint!

Bill must be a ton of fun.

That's definitely the guy who either shuts all the lights off and acts like he's not home or hands out apples for Halloween.

What a holier than thou dbag.

Yea guys like this are ruining things for people that actually use the plant medicinally, that really need it.

No one is worse then “I don’t like it, so NO ONE can like it” guy.

It’s the prohibition of our time, could help our state 100x more than any harm, tax it properly instead of haircuts and veterinarians.

Get with the times or get left behind.

Also gotta love the guy that has never used, but has an opinion.

Yea guys like this are ruining things for people that actually use the plant medicinally, that really need it.

No one is worse then “I don’t like it, so NO ONE can like it” guy.

It’s the prohibition of our time, could help our state 100x more than any harm, tax it properly instead of haircuts and veterinarians.

Get with the times or get left behind.

Also gotta love the guy that has never used, but has an opinion.

You might oughta sit this one out.

This debate is useless. Kentucky will be one of the last states to legalize marijuana, if EVER.

Coffee gets you high the same way weed gets me high. It gets me up and going. Without it I would be sluggish all day. Without coffee a coffee drinker will be sluggish all day. Just because you do a drug doesn’t make it any better or better for you than the drug that I do. Caffeine is more harmful than THC

Not really getting into it, but wanted to add that when you stop smoking your mind and body eventually adjust. If yiu stopped today in a few weeks you woukd normal out physically. Youd be able to go strong.

The one area im glad hasnt been brought up is the mental aspect. I hate it when someone says weed is just mentally addictive, as if thats no big deal. Everything is mental......

For example, why dont people just lie down and rest their body when they're tired? No need in resting the brain with sleep because the physical aspect is taken care of. Of course we know that wont work. But with weed we seem to use this logic.

I smoked from 2000 untio 2014 daily. Since then I've been on and off, trying to quit but keep falling back into it. I didnt realize how big of a problem it was until I hit 27 and actually tried to stop. Its just as hard as any other drug when it comes to putting it down.

Not really getting into it, but wanted to add that when you stop smoking your mind and body eventually adjust. If yiu stopped today in a few weeks you woukd normal out physically. Youd be able to go strong.

The one area im glad hasnt been brought up is the mental aspect. I hate it when someone says weed is just mentally addictive, as if thats no big deal. Everything is mental......

For example, why dont people just lie down and rest their body when they're tired? No need in resting the brain with sleep because the physical aspect is taken care of. Of course we know that wont work. But with weed we seem to use this logic.

I smoked from 2000 untio 2014 daily. Since then I've been on and off, trying to quit but keep falling back into it. I didnt realize how big of a problem it was until I hit 27 and actually tried to stop. Its just as hard as any other drug when it comes to putting it down.
I’ve quit to pass piss tests without problem. After three or four days I’m good to go and can even be around it and not smoke it although I obviously want to

Reactions: morgousky
Just another way for Big Government to tax and regulate yo ass. Big pimping 101. The whole thing is stupid.

Big Govt is gonna tax your weed, pocket the funds, then legally take your guns. That’s just one thing that will happen. 100%.

Nothing “good” will come from this. You can’t name one thing. Go ahead and try.

You should have sit this one out. You basically agreed with everyone on everything except legalizing the plant. Yet you are cool with people drinking alcohol.

I don’t think replacing pain pills with marijuana will do a damn thing, and it’s simply an excuse.
Replacing one drug for another isn’t a solution , it’s short sighted and narrow minded. The issue with pain pills is over prescribing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT