ADVERTISEMENT

Verdict is in (From ‘21)

Substitute Cunningham for Askew would surely help, obviously. But the roster imbalance would have still killed them.

Cade is shooting over 60% at the rim, over 40% from 3, over 80% from the line, can handle, and can play practically anywhere on a college team. Roster imbalance disappears with him on the team.

I had you pegged as THAT guy. It’s 2021 bro. Not my thing but come on out the closet. Probably a forum on here for that stuff. Give it a shot. Might make you forget about this basketball season.

Just do us all a favor and learn basketball.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Things will get worse next year without Cal. Nobody can fix this in 1 year. We're all mad at Cal now, but he's our best bet to recover quickly.
To me, that’s just another knock on Cal. Whenever he leaves, the cupboard will definitely be bare.

Sooner we start the process the better. The guy couldn’t set up a play if his life depended on it.

Get over yourselves. Cal is not going anywhere. One bad season does not get a HOF coach fired. People on here are trying to act that this season is the norm. Look around...other blue bloods are struggling just like we are.

Reactions: MakinMusic
Get over yourselves. Cal is not going anywhere. One bad season does not get a HOF coach fired. People on here are trying to act that this season is the norm. Look around...other blue bloods are struggling just like we are.
2010-15
190-38 for 83.3%
#1 seeds: 3
NCAAT: 21-4 for 84%
Elite 8: 5
Final 4: 4
Title games: 2
Titles: 1
Vs AP Top 25: 41-14 for 74.5%
vs Top Rivals: 38-11 for 77.6%

2016-21:
145-55
#1 seeds: 0
NCAAT: 9-4 for 69.2%
Elite 8: 2
Final 4: 0
Vs AP top 25: 23-23 for 50%
vs Top Rivals: 23-24

“one bad year”

I’m still in shock that people can watch Kentucky play (not just this year) and not realize that he is godawful in the Xs and Os department.

not to mention soooooo many other annoying things about his coaching style and personality in general.

So making it to the elite 8 2 out of the last 4 years is bad and having close to a 70% winning percentage in the ncaat is bad? Show me who has a better winning percentag? Maybe 2 or 3 other teams?...

Nice try...

Reactions: MakinMusic
So making it to the elite 8 2 out of the last 4 years is bad and having close to a 70% winning percentage in the ncaat is bad? Show me who has a better winning percentag? Maybe 2 or 3 other teams?...

Nice try...

Very good points. That said, there is a clear distinction between the success in his first 5 years versus the last 5. It is easy to see how some may believe he’s become way too relaxed with the success.

Nice try...
Looks like we found someone who really enjoys our dive into mediocrity.

Ill bookmark all this “one bad year” BS and bring it up next year when we are on the bubble.......hopefully on the bubble.

Nice try...
!?? the point is that Cal is trending downward. Look at the numbers.
here’s a stat for you

which coach at a blue blood program (UNC,UK,Duke,KANSAS) has 1 tourney win against a power 5 team since 2016?

with no final four to show for it.
I know it is hard for you all to understand that the best team does not always win it all like they usually do in the NBA. Even if Cal made it all four years, some on here who don't quite understand basketball would expect It a failure if he did not win every year. People are showing their ages on here after Cal has spoiled these "new" fans...

Can’t get on board with wanting Askew to transfer and then bitching about one and done. Kid is exactly what a multi year player looks like. He needs 3-4 years and plays way more minutes then he should, but we don’t have many guys who can bring the ball up. I thick a lot for him is confidence and knowing his role. He’ll never be John Wall but I truly believe he can be a solid secondary ball handler in time.

I know it is hard for you all to understand that the best team does not always win it all like they usually do in the NBA. Even if Cal made it all four years, some on here who don't quite understand basketball would expect It a failure if he did not win every year. People are showing their ages on here after Cal has spoiled these "new" fans...
Lol....

Things will get worse next year without Cal. Nobody can fix this in 1 year. We're all mad at Cal now, but he's our best bet to recover quickly.
I agree, but he's got to get inventive start making some changes like have one his assistants be offensive coordinator, one be defensive coordinator, and let them do it their way with their scheme. Make some staff changes, bring in a Tayshaun Prince or someone like him. Try keeping players like Allen and Fletcher happy their going to be players that can help you win games next year or the next. A good mix of older players and OAD.

Reactions: westerncat
Cade is shooting over 60% at the rim, over 40% from 3, over 80% from the line, can handle, and can play practically anywhere on a college team. Roster imbalance disappears with him on the team.
Again, I just don't think so. Roster imbalance would still be a primary drag because you would still only have two guards, and even the two wings (Boston and Allen) are not good enough this year. But, I am surprised a little by the numbers you quoted for Cunningham. Coming in he wasn't considered a either a good 3 pt. shooter or a great finisher around the rim. So, maybe a one player change would have caused a complete reversal, but I just have a hard time seeing that.

Remember when beating you UK at Rupp was a big deal?

It seldom happened. I believe we won around 146 straight on our court. Cal change a lot of things. Three point shooting, most consecutive losses, first losing record in 100 years, and first coach to fail to go to the NCAA Tournament, twice, since the Tournament went to 64 teams.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I wouldn't mind Askew transferring to be honest. Whats gonna get better?e
I tried to be patient with Askew’s development but he isn’t getting any better. His BB IQ is worse than his ball handling, quickness and shooting which says a lot. I believe every minute he is on the court running the point next year is a wasted minute, because he won’t beat out Skyy Clark or DJ Wagner over the next 2-3 yrs. Go be closer to your family young fella, California is calling you !!

Doesn’t change my opinion that I had 3 months ago. He gets a chance to fix it next season. There’s no one worth replacing him at the moment. It’s not going to happen anyway. Truth is, he would have to have another season like this one next season for anyone in the position to push him out to even get serious about it.
My how the mighty that folks are willing to accept this mess.

My how the mighty that folks are willing to accept this mess.

WE aren’t changing anything. Nothing. At. All. If Calipari doesn’t fix it next season, the powers that be will become interested enough to shake things up. We can stop watching, stop going to games, stop buying gear, stop wearing gears for stop visiting message boards like this one. Those are all good starts for those who choose to not accept the current situation.

But do they have a losing record ?

WE aren’t changing anything. Nothing. At. All. If Calipari doesn’t fix it next season, the powers that be will become interested enough to shake things up. We can stop watching, stop going to games, stop buying gear, stop wearing gears for stop visiting message boards like this one. Those are all good starts for those who choose to not accept the current situation.
I think many folks are doing just and it would be more obvious if not for the fan restrictions at games.
Lots and lots of people are fed-up.

Prediction...

We will be quite a bit better next year -- similar to last 3 or 4 years. We'll struggle a little early then turn it on in February, win a mediocre SEC, get a low seed, etc. etc.

Cal will then proceed to remind us that we are idiots (WHHHAAAAAAT!??) and that this season was a Covid-inspired blip on the radar.

...we'll then squeak by someone in the 2nd round to then lose to someone at the level of Kansas St., Auburn, etc.

Cycle repeats again and again...til he retires. Lifetime contract ya know (WHHHHHAAAAAAT!!!?)

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT