ADVERTISEMENT

Vecenie updates NBA mock draft

He’s a poor man’s M. Teague and Tegue didn’t stick either. Wagner needs to take huge strides in his range and shooting accuracy if he wants a long NBA career
That is EXACTLY who I think of from the Cal era in a word association. Towards the end of his freshman year Teague really started knocking down the FT line pullup. In the NBA he just simply couldn't score enough. There aren't many Rondo's left in the league. And Rondo did it by being one of the best on ball defenders in the history of the league.

Reactions: EliteBlue
That is EXACTLY who I think of from the Cal era in a word association. Towards the end of his freshman year Teague really started knocking down the FT line pullup. In the NBA he just simply couldn't score enough. There aren't many Rondo's left in the league. And Rondo did it by being one of the best on ball defenders in the history of the league.
Rondo also had one of the best first steps and Chang of pace games in the league with good length and athleticism. Wagner is a solid athlete but not an elite athlete comparatively to his NBA peers…which means his skill level needs to be on the upper end of the bell curve to supplement. But being average at both is a recipe to not stick and be a G league/overseas guy

Reactions: sefus12
What a turnaround for DJ. Couple years ago, he was regarded as the #1 recruit and now he's not projected to get drafted at all?

The only guy we have I can see in the NBA right now is Rob and that’s because of his offensive bag. It will still be 2-3 years before we see what he really is going to be but his potential is there.

Reed had a great IQ and is a great spot up shooter. Watching live though you can see his strength isn’t anywhere it needs to be to play against pros yet and he needs to be more aggressive. It just depends on if he wants to work on it while in college or with a team in the league?

Edwards could end up a lotto pick if he comes back. Z is too slow footed and needs more time either here if G-League. Bradshaw could be a G-League project for a few years if he wants to go. Wagner will be a G-League guy too.

I hate that it comes down to guys running out the door for the G-League but that’s what we get with how we recruit.

Interesting that it's Dilly who dropped but not Reed.

Edwards makes sense, he has shown a lot of scoring ability in the last few weeks. I think he goes, and that's a great spot to be in, late 1st round pick where you're going to go to a winning franchise most likely.
Edwards should think hard about returning because he could be a stud next year for real.

Reed is one of my fave all-time Cats. Absolutely love the guy.

But I have concerns about his NBA longevity. His athleticism just doesn't appear to be NBA level. His lateral quickness is suspect. And in the NBA you have to be able to get your shot off one-on-one and Reed is a spot up shooter.

But what do I know...
That’s not true into today’s nba. There are plenty of spot up shooters. Also I think Reed will be able to do more off the bounce than say a Kyle Korver type

Like the Harrison twins, Wagner would have been better off being born 20 years earlier when players could jump straight to the NBA from high school.

The one year in college shows that DJ is a very good player but not elite.
Go back and watch Andrew Harrison. Dude was better than any of we've had in years. Didn't have John Wall athleticism so our fans thought he was avg. He got to the basket whenever he wanted

Looking at the updated mock draft, I have an immediate concern. We all know how Cal thinks about the draft and his 5*'s. I still think it has somehow pissed him off that Reed is getting the attention he is getting, because he was only a 4* from Kentucky. Normally I'm not a big conspiracy person, but I just get that feeling.

If Cal does keep up with the mock drafts, if he sees that 2 of his 5*'s are not even listed, will that cause him to play them more in the tournament, in order to get them to shine, so to speak? Even of it causes us to lose? I'm sorry to bring it up and worry, but Cal's history and his love of the draft/his picks has caused me to be worried.😒

The only thing I know is there’s no way Z, Bradshaw, and Ugo all return with Quaintance and Somto coming in. There’s not enough mins for all of them especially since Cal views all players taller than 6’10” the same way.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I'd be cool with Wagner, Bradshaw, and Z coming back.

Then add Peterson and a portal transfer.

I'd take it in a heart beat!

1. Having Reed back would be unreal good. But even a 2nd year DJ would still be a strong ball handler, improving defender and a shot at 35% + 3pt potential (We should all realize getting to share the court with Dilly, Reed or Reeves gets him some wide open looks that might not be playign with in 2025.
2. Ivisic....he's the 2nd most important to come back. Having a stretch 5 is a weapon you don't see in hardly any college squads. Put on 15 lbs or muscle and some seasoning to rebound and defend better...whoa baby.
3. Thiero....no reason UK should lose him regardless. A PF that can handle and play make who is that strong...is a spot we need.
4. Bradshaw....Keep getting stronger and maybe he can build up some athleticism (I am a bit taken back how unathletic he was this year at times)....and I think we can be a decent stretch PF on offense, improved rebounder and shot blocker.
5. Burks...love his potential....keeper for next few years.

Then filling around this kids with Fland, one of Knox/Richmond being a wing defender, Perry might fit nicely with this roster. I struggle to see how we play both Somto and Quantenance if Ivisic is back....but figure that out.
I think something like this is realistic:

G - Wagner - Fland - Perry
G - Peterson (relassification) - Fland - Perry
G - transfer portal - Richmond
F - Thiero - Knox - Quaintance
C - Bradshaw - Quaintance - Cyril

Burks, Hart transfer.

Reactions: K_TIME
I think something like this is realistic:

G - Wagner - Fland - Perry
G - Peterson (relassification) - Fland - Perry
G - transfer portal - Richmond
F - Thiero - Knox - Quaintance
C - Bradshaw - Quaintance - Cyril

Burks, Hart transfer.
I can see about the same../I’d hate to lose Burks. He’s a guy you need as a glue guy later in his career

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT