ADVERTISEMENT

Vanderbilt gone. Official

Yet another dummy from Kentucky leaving early. Kid can't shoot from outside 5 feet and thinks he is NBA material. Wow. This team is a train wreck every year as players leave who should never leave.

So remember that article CBS wrote when Kentucky lost 4 in a row. "Might be a good thing since most everyone will be coming back".

WRONG

Once again next year when this team fails to make the final 4 we will be saying if only this guy stayed or that guy stayed.....

GROUND HOG DAY
Xavier's Kaiser Gates is much smarter than that.

I wish I lived in the early 1900's where there was actual state pride in playing for Kentucky. Now we recruit dudes from Cali who play 10 games and leave for Europe. I bet Adolph Rupp is rolling over in his grave.
State pride dudes are finished and never will be a significant presence on UK or any other top program. Those times are over.

How does this team lost 6 players? Really! 2 first round draft picks. Maybe 1 more in the 2nd round. Rest are going to another school, or playing overseas. I just get frustrated UK can't keep a core of experienced players from year to year, unlike other schools.

First time I can ever remember a player only playing a few games in their freshman year and putting their name in the the draft. Either you hate college or you have an injury that's going to plague you forever, One good check is better than none I guess. From what I seen of him he had the talent and skill set to make it but without much offense and with the threat of getting hurt he will be lucky to hang around long without getting hurt again. His situation was always suspicious to me with no clear diagnosis or treatment plan laid out. Playing at Kentucky would be paradise for most kids that have a realistic point of view about life and career goals. G league and overseas wouldn't appeal to me but that's what makes the world go around, good luck Jared.

Would have loved to have had him back and healthy for a year. Just seemed like his heart was never quite in it. Everybody knew something was amiss when Cal came out and said it’s up to him, he’ll play when he want’s to. Could have really gotten bad if he had came back and got healthy and played in just a few game’s to showcase and then sat out the reat of the year. I think the people in his ear are feeding him terrible advice but I wish him the best. Better this way than a repeat of last year with him sitting the bench afraid of getting hurt. If that was the case early on as it seemed last year. Get Reid Travis and we’re loaded up and ready to roll.

Reactions: catlogic15
How does a mediocre team lose 6 guys, of which only 2 (maybe 3) will be drafted???

Frustrating. Not sure that happens anywhere other than UK.

Actually, I forgot about Wynyard as well.

7 guys from last year’s team are now gone.

Yet another dummy from Kentucky leaving early. Kid can't shoot from outside 5 feet and thinks he is NBA material. Wow. This team is a train wreck every year as players leave who should never leave.

So remember that article CBS wrote when Kentucky lost 4 in a row. "Might be a good thing since most everyone will be coming back".

WRONG

Once again next year when this team fails to make the final 4 we will be saying if only this guy stayed or that guy stayed.....

GROUND HOG DAY
You still have X and Ohio State to root for but the rest of us only have our Cats. But that is OK we can survive.

Yep. What frustrates me is I don’t think he anything to do with the decision to sit out so many games this year or the decision to go pro. And that pisses me off that others are screwing with his future to put money in their pockets. It sucks.

This is where our system can be a bad thing. Cal is very liberal with these guys as far as decision making. But every coach knows some of these guys need to be protected from their handlers. I wish JV would have gotten beside Cal and let him guide him instead of what he's about to go through. College coaches, contrary to the modern day ignorant opinion, DO look out for the player moreso than the family many more times than not. I believe it 100% because I've seen it.

I wish I lived in the early 1900's where there was actual state pride in playing for Kentucky. Now we recruit dudes from Cali who play 10 games and leave for Europe. I bet Adolph Rupp is rolling over in his grave.

I feel you. That's why I've always said, I love Cal and I'm glad we can put him in our history books and hope to win a few titles with him. I like that he made UK the place of the pros for recruiting purposes. We also needed it for historical purposes. We just didn't have many NBA guys recruits could look to. I think it matters greatly. Jordan helped UNC recruit for 30 years. But when he's done, I will breathe a slight sigh of relief. Kind of like a long drive to Florida 13 hours away. It's a tough ride, but when it's over it was worth it.

**just noticed you were being sarcastic. We disagree I guess.

The NBA isn't the only place to get paid for basketball. The thinking is that his body only has a limited amount of time to cash checks, and another year of free games/practices is too big a risk.

No, the NBA isn't the only place, but, unless he plans on joining the Globetrotters, he is still going to have to bang bodies with grown men, for way, way more than the 9 college games he played before his body gave out, again.

I don't know. I think the leg thing - namely, the susceptibility he appears to have for lower leg injuries - complicates things. Rock and a hard place. I think he absolutely could not afford to come back to UK and suffer another injury. That would make him toxic, and effectively end the NBA dream. So, I get why he'd leave. However.......he's not getting drafted this year (presumably), so he's going to the G League - and if he's likely to get injured at UK, he's just as likely to get injured in the G League.
Well said!

WRONG

GROUND HOG DAY

You could always count on this guy to bring the positivity to any thread.

I'm sure one of the 350 teams u root for will make a final four lol

I feel you. That's why I've always said, I love Cal and I'm glad we can put him in our history books and hope to win a few titles with him. I like that he made UK the place of the pros for recruiting purposes. We also needed it for historical purposes. We just didn't have many NBA guys recruits could look to. I think it matters greatly. Jordan helped UNC recruit for 30 years. But when he's done, I will breathe a slight sigh of relief. Kind of like a long drive to Florida 13 hours away. It's a tough ride, but when it's over it was worth it.

**just noticed you were being sarcastic. We disagree I guess.

Nah not sarcastic for me its a case by case bases. I respect the John Walls, Anthony Davis, Towns, ECT... who gave historic seasons and were bonafied top 5 picks. Hell I even respect the one who will be in the 1st round.

But don't step on the campus I love for 7 games and wuss out of the sweet 16 to protect your draft stock (won't even be drafted guarantee it) and call yourself a Wildcat!!!!

How does this team lost 6 players? Really! 2 first round draft picks. Maybe 1 more in the 2nd round. Rest are going to another school, or playing overseas. I just get frustrated UK can't keep a core of experienced players from year to year, unlike other schools.
I somewhat see your point but preseason no one thought Richards would be here 2 years and we get him back and PJ might be preseason sec player of the year, plus Green. Preseason I kinda expected everybody that left to go anyway except Alexander (even Sacha didn’t surprise me that much).

Nah not sarcastic for me its a case by case bases. I respect the John Walls, Anthony Davis, Towns, ECT... who gave historic seasons and were bonafied top 5 picks. Hell I even respect the one who will be in the 1st round.

But don't step on the campus I love for 7 games and wuss out of the sweet 16 to protect your draft stock (won't even be drafted guarantee it) and call yourself a Wildcat!!!!
Norse, I don’t think he made the decisions. I think it was made for him. And that totally sucks.

Wrong I don't think so Caveman about Vanderbilt skills surpassing Knox or SGA. Put that crack pipe down.

Vanderbilt has skills that surpass Knox and abilities that surpass SGA. I can see him drafted in the late second round by a team that takes a chance on his durability. If he is going to break again, might as well get paid.

Norse, I don’t think he made the decisions. I think it was made for him. And that totally sucks.

I think it's obvious. Cal had to call him to the media because his people wanted him to just sit and wait. That's not what Kentucky is for and I'm glad Cal put a stop to that. We are not an NBA farm team and the program should never be used in that way for individual gain. There is no college basketball if it's just a group of AAU players making individual decisions without the team in mind. And no one should be for it if you enjoy the sport. Period.

Guys like Vanderbilt need to just workout for a year and skip college all together.

Wrong I don't think so Caveman about Vanderbilt skills surpassing Knox or SGA. Put that crack pipe down.

Again, read first, then post.

I never said Vando’s skills surpassed SGA.

He is more skilled than Knox, IMO. Knox is lacking in a lot of areas. Vando has as good a handle, a better motor, is a far superior passer (most ballers are), a better defender (not difficult), more athletic, worlds better rebounder. Knox is a better shooter.

I think JV contribution to basketball will be as a HS Coach assuming he gets a degree sometime in the future.

The only way this makes sense is if he seriously doesn't think he can stay healthy for another season. If that's the case, I understand why you make the decision to go. If there is any other motive, it seems like a bad move to me. He was good enough to play his way into the lottery.

Vanderbilt is the poster child for why the one-and-done should end.

He never wanted to be in college in the first place. Probably would have been a first-round draft pick coming out of high school. Went to college, proved to have serious injury concerns (not to mention the inability to make a shot from ANYWHERE on the floor, including layups), and now has no chance of being a first-rounder and probably won't be drafted at all.

He should have been able to strike while the iron was hot and at least steal some NBA team's guaranteed money for three years rather than having to be shamed into even playing a game in college by his coach.

Reactions: UK90

He never wanted to be in college in the first place. Probably would have been a first-round draft pick coming out of high school. Went to college, proved to have serious injury concerns (not to mention the inability to make a shot from ANYWHERE on the floor, including layups), and now has no chance of being a first-rounder and probably won't be drafted at all.

He should have been able to strike while the iron was hot and at least steal some NBA team's guaranteed money for three years rather than having to be shamed into even playing a game in college by his coach.

Actually, I would say this is one of the exact reasons why it is needed for the NBA.

They would have been fooled by an injury prone prep and it would have been an awful pick for some team.

There are 2 sides to every story.

I don’t think he was a first round pick coming out of HS

Reactions: brianpoe
Actually, I would say this is one of the exact reasons why it is needed for the NBA.

They would have been fooled by an injury prone prep and it would have been an awful pick for some team.

There are 2 sides to every story.

Oh, I agree. From the NBA's perspective this is exactly why they should want the one-and-done -- and a perfect example of why it was put in place to begin with.

Reactions: brianpoe
Did Vanderbilt purchase a loss of value insurance policy? That could be one factor. The ability to purchase one next year would be nil.

(1) I didn’t say Vando’s skills surpassed SGA’s.
(2) Knox is not more skilled than Vando. If the NBA was a game of HORSE, you would have a point. But, it’s not.
LOL, what? In what universe is JV on the same level as Knox? I think JV plays harder and he can rebound with the best of them, but that's where his game stops.
Knox has way more game right now then Vanderbilt will ever have. Knox is a highly skilled offensive player, Vanderbilt might be one of the worst shooters outside of 3' that I have ever seen.
I have no earthly idea how you can come to the conclusion that you came to.

Last edited:
LOL, what? In whst universe is JV on the same level as Knox? I thnk JV plays harder and he can rebound with the best of them, but that's where his game stops.
Knox has way more game right now then Vanderbilt will ever have. Knox is a highly skilled offensive player, Vanderbilt might be one of the worst shooters outside of 3' that I have ever seen.
I have no earthly idea how you can come to the conclusion that you came to.

I won’t remember your screen name in a couple of hours, let alone a couple of years. But, hold that universe thought for a couple of years and we shall see.

I somewhat see your point but preseason no one thought Richards would be here 2 years and we get him back and PJ might be preseason sec player of the year, plus Green. Preseason I kinda expected everybody that left to go anyway except Alexander (even Sacha didn’t surprise me that much).

Not true. Nick is new to bb so anyone thinking he was OAD wasn't paying attention. Nick was brought in to give Bamba an occasional blow or spell him in case of foul trouble. This year was to be Nick's coming out and hopefully it will be. He's way more important than JV could ever have been.

As for Vanderbilt, I'm reminded of some old song lyrics: "It's now or never ..."

No doubt he got a third round guarantee. Can’t really blame him for not passing on that amazing opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT