ADVERTISEMENT

It’s Pope

I’m fine w Pope if Pearl was asked and said no. But Pope should have been the absolute safety net.

Pope is also ok if you give Pitino 4 years and Pope is potentially the next guy.

But this feels like Mitch over valuing the “good guy” persona and being scared of Pearl

That’s an extremely bad hire, the idiots here that were whining about Drew, who has the best record of any head coach the past 5 years, eat crow forever because you let perfect be the enemy of the great.

You scoffed at Drew and you have Pope.

You scoffed at Tommy Lloyd said he has no tournament success, despite being 88-20, now you have Pope who is 110-52 at BYU 0 NCAAT wins.

• Angry
Reactions: Wildcatjedi
I'm satisfied with Pope. At the very least, he's a great feel-good guy. I refuse to believe that any bright guy that played for Pitino can't coach. And, with recent developments, you get Pitino being invested in Pope's success at U.K. That's as close as we could get to having Pitino's coaching chops without the baggage !
And if BBN isn't willing to get solidly behind Mark Pope for the next 2-3 years ... well, then ... there ain't much to BBN after all.

Pope with BYU did very well in the Big 12 this year (first year in the big 12) This isnt BCG kinda situation.

But one things for damn sure, Craft better drop 50 million on NIL plus buying refs/ calls ...... thats the only way this makes sense

Reactions: Stevo1951
I'm satisfied with Pope. At the very least, he's a great feel-good guy. I refuse to believe that any bright guy that played for Pitino can't coach. And, with recent developments, you get Pitino being invested in Pope's success at U.K. That's as close as we could get to having Pitino's coaching chops without the baggage !
And if BBN isn't willing to get solidly behind Mark Pope for the next 2-3 years ... well, then ... there ain't much to BBN after all.
Cal was a great feel good guy, raised millions for charity, kissed hands and shook babies.

We loathed him for his basketball philosophy and the good guy aspect didn’t matter.

Pope is a worse hire than BCG, at least BCG seemed to have potential. What does Pope have a 64% win percentage at a mid major school?

I’m aware BYU is P5 now but the majority of Pope’s tenure there was mid major.

Pope over Beard, Smart, Golden, Pearl? Good lord Mitch. Just good lord, man. No way in hell he’d get considered had he not played here. And that’s an awful reason to make a hire. Brutal.

Preach it man. Give any coach the resources UK has, and a fan base like no other, and for all the negativity what might happen is a monster created.

Tommy Lloyd 88-20, 4 NCAA tourney wins, 3 years as a head coach.

Mark Pope 187-108, 0 NCAA tourney wins, who cares how many years.

This is the worst hire in the history of the program.

BCG was a better HIRE by leaps and bounds, BCG had promise, he was an alcoholic that flamed out, it doesn’t mean he was an awful hire.

He’s not getting fired. Settle down. Get behind the train or get off.
It’s not a train, it’s like a Nashville bar cycle truck, where the people drinking power it by kicking their legs.

I guess I’ll tune in for the games next year but I have no hope or expectations for this shitshow.

What’s his recruiting pitch going to be to cobble together a roster next year, is he going to ride up to the recruits houses on a bicycle and a white colored shirt and ask them if they’ve heard the good word of a complete blaspheming of the Christian faith ?

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT