ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

Nearly every FCC delay, Jeff Berding contradiction and change in stadium plans would make complete sense if MLS was calling every shot or at least leading the campaign. If city council votes in favor today, tomorrow will likely be a formality with FCC chosen as the next team should this scenario play out. I just can't see a way in to MLS without winning this vote either. But the GM wants us to believe that also. Hmm!

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...p-paul-brown-reds-west-end-newport/519906002/

Reactions: Vandalayindustries
FCC has played 4 games. They are 0-1 at home vs the defending champs.

They are 2-0-1 on the road.

They are a legit contender to win the USL this year.

If things go as expected in the council's vote this afternoon, they will be announced as the latest expansion team in MLS later this week.
I'd say LFC is more of a legit contender at 4-0-0 & a road win at FCC.

FC Cincinnati's stadium plan was passed by Cincinnati City Council. Now it is in the hands of the MLS.

We'll see if they announce it this week. With the State of Ohio suing the MLS/Precourt Sports Ventures to keep the Crew in Columbus, we'll see if MLS does decide to go ahead and announce Cincinnati under the caveat there may be two Ohio teams.

Well, one thing the MLS was telling Berding and Co. they liked during initial discussions was how a potential Columbus/Cincinnati rivalry would follow the successful model they have with natural geographically close rivals Seattle/Vancouver/Portland.

Happy for Cincy---- but even more happy for my Wolves of Wolverhamption!!!! This Wolves team could beat 5-10 PL sides already! Just really nice to have them back in the top division!

24g4pch.jpg

LFC isn't just a legit contender, they are easily the hands on favorite.

What does anything I said have to do with them?
Pretty much everything. Direct contradiction to say FCC is legit contender on one hand and that LCFC is hands down favorite. Hands down is like 1-5.

Pretty much everything. Direct contradiction to say FCC is legit contender on one hand and that LCFC is hands down favorite. Hands down is like 1-5.

con·tend·er
/kənˈtendər/

noun

• 1.a person or group competing with others to achieve something.

How in the hell is it a direct contradiction to say one team is the favorite and another team is a legit contender?

LouCity is the best team right now. They are also the defending champs. I would consider them to be the favorites to repeat. FC Cincinnati also has a good team that is capable of winning it all.

con·tend·er
/kənˈtendər/

noun

• 1.a person or group competing with others to achieve something.

How in the hell is it a direct contradiction to say one team is the favorite and another team is a legit contender?
It's the "legit" part. Every team can be described as a contender. Wouldn't argue that. When Secretariat was in a race, there was no other legit contender.

Robben & Ribery gettin old.

Bayern simply have to go get younger, more prolific wingers. The thing is there are plenty out there available:

Malcom from Bordeaux
Lemar from AS Monaco
Pulisic from Dortmund
Leon Bailey from Leverkusen
Kluivert from AJAX
Bale from Real Madrid

Crazy 1st goal by FCC today. I think the OF keeper sight was blocked early & he didn't pick it up for a while - too late. Still, 40 yds out is 40 yds out.

Crazy 1st goal by FCC today. I think the OF keeper sight was blocked early & he didn't pick it up for a while - too late. Still, 40 yds out is 40 yds out.

Nah. It's not difficult to sight the ball from that far out. It's more likely that he was out of position and wasn't expecting the shot. There's a chance that he wasn't even looking for the ball as he was absorbing information of attacking threats off the ball which would definitely contribute to both.

Fox Sports handling the World Cup is going to suck. Surprise!

https://deadspin.com/fox-sports-is-half-assing-the-world-cup-1825544146

I *LOVE* the World Cup and it makes me sick that we didn’t qualify

...But at least we don’t have to watch their shit coverage in our own matches, I guess. Really wish NBC had gotten the rights.

Now that I think about it, I’m not sure there’s a sports broadcaster I prefer. They kill it with their hockey, EPL, and Ryder cup coverage and I like their NFL. Wish they’d make a run at NBA and MLB when the contracts came up.

Reactions: BigBlueSean
With less than 35 days until the World Cup in Russia just thought Id post a few thoughts on things to watch in the tournament:

Timely injuries could actually be beneficial for Brazil. I think that the injuries to both Gabi Jesus and Neymar actually work in their favor this year. I think they come into the tournament with a tad more in the tank. The interesting thing for me is how Brazil Fills out their world cup roster. The definite for me are Alisson, Ederson, Dani Alves, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, Neymar, Willian, Coutinho, Firmino, Willian, Fernandinho, Gabi Jesus, Renato Augusto, Paulinho, Casemiro, Miranda, and Marcelo. The big question lies with who they decide to take of the young guns coming up in Arthur, Fred, Diego , and Vinicius Jr.

France- Which France shows up? Have loads of talent, but they are very youthful and the injury to Koscielny could be devastating when it comes to leadership.

Argentina - Gonna need a Maradonna-esque performance by Messi. They have loads of forwards: Messi, Aguero, Higuain, Dybala, Di Maria, but the midfield is depleted as hell with not much of a defense either. This is a team I can see flaming out early, their group isnt exactly cake with the likes of Croatia, Iceland and Nigeria.

Spain - I am really liking this team, ESPECIALLY with the form Costa is in. Their midfield with the likes of Isco, Iniesta, Koke, David Silva, Busquettes, Asensio, Thiago, Parejo, and Saul is just freaking insane. Not to mention their back line and IMO the best keeper in the world in De Gea.

Reactions: Vandalayindustries
No love for Germany or have they gotten a little older?

Germany still very much a favorite, but the recent match between Spain and Germany tipped me leaning more Spain than Germany. I think Germany has 2 big questions:

1) The striker position. - Germany typically likes a target forward as a striker. The only guy that fits that bill is Mario Gomez who is 32 and just not of great quality that they are used to (i.e. Miroslav Klose) who is now 37. Thomas Mueller just isn't an out and out striker and the other alternative Timo Werner, is much more of a pacey striker that stretches the back line. I think Werner is the best pick, and I would pair him with another phenomenal young talent on the LW position in Leroy Sane--- but the issue with those two is that both have the same amount of World Cup experience as you and I.

2) Issues with the back line:

1- Maneul Neuer's health? Will he be ready? Ter Stegen is a very good keeper, but not quite Neuer level.
2 - Lack of pace in CB's. Hummels and Boateng are great, but showed against Spain and Brazil of recent that they are vulnerable to quick counters.
3) The LB position - Jonas Hector just isnt a great LB and they have no one else there. They play a team that has a great RW (i.e Brazil with Willian/Douglas Costa/ Coutinho, or Spain with Asensio, Rodrigo, or France with Mbappe/Dembele and that is a spot I think you can really exploit.

Germany is still very good, and a favorite to win it nonetheless.

Good stuff Sean. Looking forward to WC this year, despite lack of US, Italy, Netherlands, Chile, Cameroon, and Greece.

Throw in Bosnia & H, Ghana, Hungary, Honduras, Ireland, Northern Ireland, New Zealand,Turkey, and Canada - how did they not set up a crazy tournament here in the US to compete against it?

Good stuff Sean. Looking forward to WC this year, despite lack of US, Italy, Netherlands, Chile, Cameroon, and Greece.

Throw in Bosnia & H, Ghana, Hungary, Honduras, Ireland, Northern Ireland, New Zealand,Turkey, and Canada - how did they not set up a crazy tournament here in the US to compete against it?

I think the issue is Chile, Italy and Netherlands really have no reason or benefit to do something like that. It'd be like slumming to something beneath them, and without them, it wouldn't be much worth watching.

There are some interesting things about those 3 teams though when it comes to going forward:

1) The development of Chile will be interesting. Not a ton of youthful talent coming through the ranks with their stars all aging. I actually think Chile takes massive steps back and the team I think that takes their spot is Venezuela. I like their youth and especially like Josef Martinez. Add him to a great crop including the likes of Farinez, Penaranda, Anor, Soltedo, Marquez, Osorio, and Murillo and you have a crop of very young , talented players that could easily elevate Venezuela. They had a great showing in u-20s coming in 2nd and I thought played better than England in the final.

Netherlands is very intriguing to me. When you think Netherlands you think goals/offense. But look at their best prospective young talents. De Light, De Vrij, and Van Djik are 3 of the best young CB in the world IMO. If you keep going you got Ake, De Jong, Pierie, Sandler, Hoogma, Fosu Mensa, Karsdorp, Tete, Vand Dromgelen and Malacia. All of those guys are either CDMs or a back line positions. They have to change their philosophy to their personnel. This could be a team that could put together a defense that is like Fort Knox. They need a coach that plays to their strengths. Instead of playing expansive take a page from Mourinho, grind out results. Pack it in, don't let teams score and then use guys like Kluivert, Depay, Dost, Chong and Promes to counter with elite pace.

Italy- italy just needs their federation to get their head out of their ass and stop letting players control the national team selections. They need to usher in younger CB's. They I think are the opposite of Netherlands. A historically defensive team with some nice talent coming through on the attacking end in Chiesa, Bernardeschi, Cutrone, Kean, Belotti, Barella, Pellegrini and Orsolini as well as young defensive talent and the future best keeper in the world in Donnarumma. And for Christ sake give Balotelli and Giovinco a damn spot back. They could use both. I'm a big fan of Balotelli, yes he is craxy, but he offers thinks at his position that italy doesn't have and could prove useful. Thing is, for both it's kind of too little too late now due to age.

Random changes I'd make to the WC
  • 40 teams
  • 8 groups of 5 - guarantees an extra match for each team. Will likely make it easier for the better teams to advance
  • Winner and 2nd place of each group advance to 16 + next best 6 teams. Consider expanding to 24 with 8 each group winner getting a bye

Random changes I'd make to the WC
  • 40 teams
  • 8 groups of 5 - guarantees an extra match for each team. Will likely make it easier for the better teams to advance
  • Winner and 2nd place of each group advance to 16 + next best 6 teams. Consider expanding to 24 with 8 each group winner getting a bye

What do you think about the format for 2026? I hate the idea of 3 team groups.

I like 48 teams but wish it were groups of 5 or 6 instead of 3. If it's in the US/Canada, it would be easy to have that many matches . You could put the pods in regions - like Group A plays in the South - matches are in Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans, and Nashville for example to ease on the travel and not force teams to go across country like last time in the US or in Brazil. I realize 5 team groups don't work perfectly, but I want more matches.

Well, not ideal for Chelsea to go down1-0 at home to Huddersfield- Huge for Huddersfield though...and Liverpool

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT