ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

For something a little more visible:

https://sofifa.com/squad/275721

I think that is very formidable. 11 players over 80-potential. 29 players with over 75+ potential. Out of those 33 players we should be able to find a very solid 11-15 guys.

Hell our most talented midfield is Pulisic (18), Adams (18), McKennie (just turned 18), and Carleton (17). We could get 20+ years out of those guys! Focus on a coach that will develop these guys and put them in the best system to shine. 20 years with the same damn midfield. Hopefully 4 world cups.

Clubs develop players not national squads. There are quite a few names you will become familiarized with in the next 4 years that no one has a clue about right now.

This LA Clasico is insane. Couldn't ask for a better game on prime time TV. Zlatan 50yd half volley for the equalizer was insanity. Yeah, he still has it folks. I'm buying tickets if he comes anywhere close.

Zlatan: " I hear the crowd saying they want Zlatan, well...I give them Zlatan."

Yes you did sir....yes you did lol

He still has is it for MLS which of course he does as mls defending is terrible.

I guess it’s a good script but that was awful soccer. Just reaffirms the reasons not to watch.

I wouldn't even say it's defending it's just nobody really closes down space in MLS. But I mean is the MLS a top league? No. But it's not that terrible. MLS is equivalent to French Ligue 1 outside of PSG and right on par with Liga MX.

Watched Die Bayern (FC Bayern München) gegen Borussia Dortmund earlier this morning. Hell, score was 5-0 at the half. Christian Pulisic had one shot on goal for Der BVB, but otherwise a non-factor. 6-0 final Lewandowski scored 3 goals. Total domination.

Watched Die Bayern (FC Bayern München) gegen Borussia Dortmund earlier this morning. Hell, score was 5-0 at the half. Christian Pulisic had one shot on goal for Der BVB, but otherwise a non-factor. 6-0 final Lewandowski scored 3 goals. Total domination.

Watched that game too. Bayern are scary good. But so mich of it is how they let James Rodriguez do what he does best. The quality of service he provides is world class.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Watched that game too. Bayern are scary good. But so mich of it is how they let James Rodriguez do what he does best. The quality of service he provides is world class.
True. 1 goal + 2 assists. Awesome player. On loan from Real Madrid too.

Meanwhile, FC Schalke hanging in there. My son and former in-laws are loyal fans of the club. They attend a few games every year.

This LA Clasico is insane. Couldn't ask for a better game on prime time TV. Zlatan 50yd half volley for the equalizer was insanity. Yeah, he still has it folks. I'm buying tickets if he comes anywhere close.
Great shot but he took advantage of a keep way out of position/off his line. Totally surprised him. But that's what greats do.

Reactions: BigBlueSean
I wouldn't even say it's defending it's just nobody really closes down space in MLS. But I mean is the MLS a top league? No. But it's not that terrible. MLS is equivalent to French Ligue 1 outside of PSG and right on par with Liga MX.
More than I would give MLS credit for but you know it better than me. Maybe up with lower 1/4 (regulation?) to lower 1/2 of top leagues & improved over ECL I rated it even with a couple years back.

FCC won again against the grain. But road wins are just that.

LCFC at home next week will be a better measure than anything yet.

True. 1 goal + 2 assists. Awesome player. On loan from Real Madrid too.

Meanwhile, FC Schalke hanging in there. My son and former in-laws are loyal fans of the club. They attend a few games every year.

Just got a notification that Bayern plan to buy James for 52 million. That is a flat out STEAL at that price. I like Shalke because of Weston McKennie. His time is coming. I doubt Max Meyer or Goretzka are there after this year.

Great shot but he took advantage of a keep way out of position/off his line. Totally surprised him. But that's what greats do.

Keep was out of position because very few people on earth can pull that shot off.

More than I would give MLS credit for but you know it better than me. Maybe up with lower 1/4 (regulation?) to lower 1/2 of top leagues & improved over ECL I rated it even with a couple years back.

In general I think leagues are hard to compare because of the nuances of said leagues. IMO the Spanish is by far the most technical followed by Bundesliga. EPL is by far the most physical and physically demanding. Serie A is the most tactical. I think for the MLS one has to remember its barely over 20 years old. Most European leagues and clubs are over 10x that old. I think for a domestic league in its infancy its a decent league. The best? No. The worst? Not quite. Developing a league takes a lonnnnggg time. Guys like Zlatan accelerate that timeline. I am happy to see the MLS get creative with their time slots. That 3pm game on Fox this time of year was absolutely perfectly placed. Hopefully out 2 Clubs in CONCACAF UCL come through and deliver this year. That would go a long way in helping out the league as well.

Reactions: AustinTXCat

So out of all TV equipped households in the US, .5% were tuned to that program. So 6 million were tuned into that game. Among households watching at that time 1% watched --- Not bad, not bad at all...

Last edited:
I would argue Zlatan, if he produces, could have a larger impact on the MLS than Beckham. 1) Far more visible in the age of social media. 2) Zlatan is a striker, Beckham a Midfielder. So Zlatan's abilities are naturally far more visible to a fan who doesnt know as much about the sport. Now you and I can recognize a world class through ball or cross Beckham put in, but its far more recognizable to see Zlatan scoring goals. Beckham had 18 goals in his time in MLS. Zlatan may get that this year. 3) Zlatan is just a bigger personality.

That young Barca-Roma ref looked scared. Two 1H penalties against B not awarded. Yes, the Roma guy was on the line. Would have really changed momentum. Needs to back to the Carrib. R defender unlucky on og. Honestly, think a 2-2/3-3/3-2 outcome would have been right.

Pool really took it to MC.

Liverpool look dead on Klopps old Dortmund teams with Lewandowski, Subotic, Gundogan, Gotze, Hummels, Reus, and others that nearly won the UCL...

Likely clinches FCC as next expansion MLS side too...
Seems too convenient for the Cincinnati Public Schools to vote on the 16th before the MLS meeting on the 17th. But it appears FCC has agreed to spend a ton. Adding it all up from WCPO's site, $451 million for 2 stadiums ($10 million goes to replacing a HS stadium), estimated taxes for 10 years, community organizations and affordable housing.
https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-new...ficials-to-discuss-fc-cincinnati-stadium-site

Last edited:
And it looks like West End it is for the new FC Cincy stadium.

The best choice, but I was rooting for Newport.
Best is relative I guess. A lot of property has to change hands and $1.6 million worth already has along Central Parkway, but the convenience to OTR is likely the selling point to MLS.

Went to the FCCincy match against Lou City. I've seen these teams play 6 times in person. Not once have I ever thought Cincy was the better team. Cincy lacks skill and creativity as well as quality when it comes to the final ball. Should've been 3-0. I think many of those matches FCC had better individual talent. But Louisville as a team is just better. Louisville just has a very solid defense and wuakity in the midfield that is far better than FCC's.

Cincinnati/West End got a HUGE deal from FCC. Can't believe they caved that much.

CPS moved up their meeting so best case scenario everything is all set up this week.

I tell you this, Hope Solo is an absolute train wreck of a human being, and her bad decisions have cost her millions and millions of dollars. With that said, 2 of the 3 keepers for the USWNT are absolutely terrible. One of them today was in the back of the net when Mexico scored on a corner.

Mark my words, one of those 2, possibly 3 will cost the US a big game in the WC or Olympics.

Went to the FCCincy match against Lou City. I've seen these teams play 6 times in person. Not once have I ever thought Cincy was the better team. Cincy lacks skill and creativity as well as quality when it comes to the final ball. Should've been 3-0. I think many of those matches FCC had better individual talent. But Louisville as a team is just better. Louisville just has a very solid defense and wuakity in the midfield that is far better than FCC's.

Louisville are the defending champs for a reason. FCC pretty much has a brand new squad.

Hopefully Louisville can be Cincinnati’s minor league team in a few years.

Reactions: Vandalayindustries
Louisville are the defending champs for a reason. FCC pretty much has a brand new squad.

Hopefully Louisville can be Cincinnati’s minor league team in a few years.

Louisville has a lot of new guys too. Cincy should still be better than what they are. The midfield is atrocious .

Louisville has a lot of new guys too. Cincy should still be better than what they are. The midfield is atrocious .

I hadn't yet watched the match when you posted about it the first time. After watching it, I think you are completely off base about how it should have been 3-0. After the initial surge by Louisville, I thought FCC controlled the last 3/4 of the match.

Cincy started off poorly, but then began to play like the team that was 2-0 (both on the road) coming in.

I figured I was just being a homer, but then I read recaps from places like usl.com and they agreed with my assessment.

You know way more about soccer, errrr futbol, than me. I concede. But I also know how wrong your NCAA football and basketball takes usually are and have now come to realize that your opinions about soccer are probably just as terrible.

I've seen these teams play 6 times in person. Not once have I ever thought Cincy was the better team.

Well, they've played 8x total. Cincy has won 3, Louisville has won 3 and they have tied twice. So...

I hadn't yet watched the match when you posted about it the first time. After watching it, I think you are completely off base about how it should have been 3-0. After the initial surge by Louisville, I thought FCC controlled the last 3/4 of the match.

Cincy started off poorly, but then began to play like the team that was 2-0 (both on the road) coming in.

I figured I was just being a homer, but then I read recaps from places like usl.com and they agreed with my assessment.

You know way more about soccer, errrr futbol, than me. I concede. But I also know how wrong your NCAA football and basketball takes usually are and have now come to realize that your opinions about soccer are probably just as terrible.

Well, they've played 8x total. Cincy has won 3, Louisville has won 3 and they have tied twice. So...

Yeah, saying it was equal simply isn't true. But I would write an article like that if I were USL to maintain some sort of aspect of the rivalry...Cincy really struggled to create anything more than a half chance and Louisville once they got a lead did not push forward like they had been for a 2nd goal. And while the record remains what it is, it doesn't tell the complete story of the two teams in the slightest.

That young Barca-Roma ref looked scared. Two 1H penalties against B not awarded. Yes, the Roma guy was on the line. Would have really changed momentum. Needs to back to the Carrib. R defender unlucky on og. Honestly, think a 2-2/3-3/3-2 outcome would have been right.

Pool really took it to MC.
There is a god. Actually, two.

So happy for Roma. I'm a big Eden Dzeko fan. Cool that Liverpool and Roma both have American ownership. Roma really dominated Barca.

Wow. Dont think that was a penalty. Was it awkward? Yes. Enough contact for a penalty on Benatia? Nope. Once again Real Madrid given a lucky ass break. SMH.

I thought it was a foul, period, penalty or not. Knocked him off stride to me & stopped him from cleanly playing ball. What was the point of contacting him from behind? To give the ref the chance to call it? Too bad J had to lose that way. Great performance.

I've always wondered why any foul anywhere doesn't give the offended team a clear shot at goal from the spot of the foul vs. offending team being allowed to set up a wall. Why only a clear shot when inside the box? Seems the offending team is being rewarded for fouling with a wall. Sure would stop a lot of crap fouling imo - risk is too great. All players ex keeper would need to stand behind shot taker and no player could touch the struck ball till either the keeper does or ball hits a post.

FCC isn't really playing to win the USL - they're trying to build talent for the MLS - rumors are they're joining for next season, jumping Miami and Nashville. Also, they only have 1 loss this season, to a team that returned 19 players. FCC returned 5.

ADVERTISEMENT