ADVERTISEMENT

UK Needs A Home Grown Coach

There's only one choice to replace His Highness...
iu

Brad is on the sidelines learning from His Highness. Who could be better?
OMIPH4W.jpg

Dwayne Casey would be my #1 choice.
My second choice...would be Preston Spradlin. Young. Is a great Xs and Os guy...in-game adjustments, and obviously can coach up the talent he recruits and identifies. He knows what UK basketball is all about.
With either one of these guys you would never have to worry about priorities of first and foremost winning for UK and winning SEC and national championships
That’s interesting. Good thoughts. I’ve been impressed with Spradlin and Casey is all class.

Reactions: LmdCat
Wasn't saying that about Cronin/UK--talking of how Hubert was fortunate to get by a superior team in UCLA whose HC made that a loss. Wrote it awkwardly but the point was those who just assume Davis is going to be outstanding..let's see how it ends up. Kevin Ollie won a title too...he couldn't get a job anywhere right now.
I really enjoy reading your posts, clearly understand the game. Question who would your realistic top 5 be?

Reactions: Mulder14
I really enjoy reading your posts, clearly understand the game. Question who would your realistic top 5 be?
Top 5 replacements? Or Top 5 current coaches? Or what specifically?

I've got to head out and go watch some of the players at my school play in local AAU now, so I'll respond later on today/tonight if you have a follow up response.

Chill out, man. I’ve actually defended you at times. All of these topics suck, but they’re also all the direct result of where we’re at as a program right now. The fans are not to blame.
If people can't post without nearly having a stroke, they should really consider taking a break from this. I am assuming that most posters are simply posting their opinions with the realization that it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Reading the opinions from others is interesting; however, some think they should be able to shut down any thread that they don't agree with. We all have the power to simply not participate in any thread that we don't like. It is pretty simple. By the way, I find your posts interesting so keep them coming.

[Musselman] would leave for UK in a second. Not sure I want him, but he would take the job.
You're absolutely right, Sejonesy. And not only Musselman, but a dozen other top-tier college coaches would leap at the opportunity to take the U.K. job. Calipari has brought the bar so low that there would be relatively little pressure, compared to, for example, to when Tubby followed Pitino. Some have suggested that it would be hard to find a great coach to take the job. I think that's laughable.

BlH, blah, blah. Another know-it-all that has all the answers. Whine, bitch, and whine some more. Be a real fan and support your team, not bash them.
Never seen so many soft little fans. Embarrassing that rival fans can see such an abomination, daily.

I’d go Vogel then Holtmann. Barnhart will go Donavan Stevens ( neither will take it) and then go Holtmann.

This growing debacle created by CCC is all the evidence required that UK needs a homegrown coach to get us out of this mess. Unfortunately, this isn't likely to happen because UK doesn't develop former players into coaches. We need a head coach who loves the program as much as the fans so that the program regains the top priority instead of CCC and the players. It is clear that Cal has made UK third to him being first and players second. There is zero reason to believe that this will ever change because Cal has never considered the program and fans as his top priority. Unfortunately, there is a zero chance of a former player becoming the coach at this point.
So now, Cal doesnt develop players into coaches? You are really having to search hard for more Cal criticism. I am a fan of the program, players and the coach. I have never heard any of our coaches, or any coach, anywhere, proclaim to be more important than the program. Why would anyone post such stupid stuff.

This growing debacle created by CCC is all the evidence required that UK needs a homegrown coach to get us out of this mess. Unfortunately, this isn't likely to happen because UK doesn't develop former players into coaches. We need a head coach who loves the program as much as the fans so that the program regains the top priority instead of CCC and the players. It is clear that Cal has made UK third to him being first and players second. There is zero reason to believe that this will ever change because Cal has never considered the program and fans as his top priority. Unfortunately, there is a zero chance of a former player becoming the coach at this point.
Just when I thought this forum couldn’t get any more idiotic. Congratulations.

Reactions: king of cali
You seem to be searching hard to find posts that you can complain about.

I don’t know a lot about Vogel because I DON’T watch the NBA, but being a UK grad and making 2 mil a year in LA, I’d say he would def consider it.
Given Vogel's prior association with Pitino, I would definitely support going after Vogel. If Vogel were going to have "personal issues", they would have surfaced by now. Boston, Philly, and L.A. are pretty high-profile spots in the NBA. And the return of "Pitino ball" to Rupp Arena would please me.

And in light of Yabba's mention of Vogel, I'll also throw out Steve Nash. He just seems to me like a guy who would be an excellent college coach. Point guard, excellent shooter (both FT and 3FG) and distributor. I can't imagine that elite players wouldn't be attracted to playing for Nash.

But, whomever ... anybody but CCC ! ! !

Coach K and Williams loved their universities enough to groom their replacements well ahead of their departures. What is CCC doing besides turning it into a joke? When CCC leaves, we will be in worse shape than when Sutton left. To make it worse, there won't be an RP type coach in waiting to keep things together until the talent level can be rebuilt.
Ratface and Williams developed a coaching tree. The hallmark of a good coach is developing winning coaches that go on to success at other programs. Cal has a terrible track record of assistants who are successful.

Btw we went homegrown in FB and it screwed us big time. 2 lost seasons and maybe set us back 4. Homegrown isn’t all its cracked up to be unless there is a large coaching tree. Cal care about getting players to the league not turning them into coaches. We are already in trouble but this program will become worse than IU if we have to wait out cal and he picks his replacement

Where UK could go homegrown and have big success is with an AD.

Homegrown is a small-minded, simple-minded, empty-minded requirement. What’s needed is a hungry, good coach who can recruit well and plays a fun style. He could be from Indonesia for all I care. Oscar is from the Congo and never heard of Kentucky till he was probably 17 and he’s one of my favorite players of all time.

What does a person without a mind know about a mind? If you had a small, simple, or empty mind it would be an improvement for you?

Who usually make the best coaches? Point guards, guys who have to rely on their minds more than their physical skill set.

Who are most of Cal’s PG history? NBA studs that are superior talent wise. You could see Ulis being the closest to ever fit this mold but even he’s a stretch.

Your elite coaches always seem to be point guards or bench players. It’s why you never see all star players as the top tier coaches.

Who usually make the best coaches? Point guards, guys who have to rely on their minds more than their physical skill set.

Who are most of Cal’s PG history? NBA studs that are superior talent wise. You could see Ulis being the closest to ever fit this mold but even he’s a stretch.

Your elite coaches always seem to be point guards or bench players. It’s why you never see all star players as the top tier coaches.
I don't think the position matters. It should be based on one's knowledge of the game. However, because the point guard runs the offense, it is probably reasonable to think guard.

I don't think the position matters. It should be based on one's knowledge of the game. However, because the point guard runs the offense, it is probably reasonable to think guard.
Position seems to matter most of the time.

Coach K, Roy Williams, Jay Wright, even Cal, Billy Donovan, Bill Self, I’m sure I could go on and on. Guards end up being the best coaches.

A home grown idiot.
I was searching for the right description for you. Thanks for providing it. I can't believe you excavated your head out of CCC's butt long enough to provide me your name.

Many of us laughed about UNC hiring Davis; however, they might be having the last laugh. If Duke's replacement demonstrates that he can handle the job, we will really be in danger of falling behind the other blue bloods.
Yes, but UNC staying "within the family" was a 100% flop with Doherty. When schools have done that, sometimes it works, but more often than not it appears not to work.

Top 5 replacements? Or Top 5 current coaches? Or what specifically?

I've got to head out and go watch some of the players at my school play in local AAU now, so I'll respond later on today/tonight if you have a follow up response.
I’d like your thoughts on both

Chill out, man. I’ve actually defended you at times. All of these topics suck, but they’re also all the direct result of where we’re at as a program right now. The fans are not to blame.
To an extent they are. We aren’t talking about “all the fans”. The ones that are making us look like a crap hole fanbase are a fairly small group. There are others that believe something needs to be drone that aren’t dumping all over Kentucky every few seconds in public. Hell a bunch of these clowns are not even Kentucky fans. And you should have seen the 2 drunks last night. Just Damn. The vast majority of the fan base are very civil and can express themselves through more effective channels. What’s happening here is ridiculous.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
We have Travis Ford and John Pelfrey, this has worked so well with other programs, and haven't all of our head coaches been born and bred right here in Ky?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT