ADVERTISEMENT

I’m gonna throw up

You guys really don't know how public universities work. Raising tuition for a basketball coach buyout would be awful optics, but we all know that wouldn't happen anyway. At a public university you gotta worry about a lot more than just the basketball team. For everyone here its priority #1, but it's not priority #1 for the actual university itself.

Spending that much cash to buy out the contract of a coach that most other schools would take in a heartbeat at a public university would be an absolute PR nightmare.

That article from Ben Roberts lays it out pretty clearly:
Why would you raise tuition and tell everyone it's to pay off a buyout?

That'd be stupid.

Just raise tuition. Ta-da!

And if the school is not benefiting from its basketball program, then none of the students are benefiting either. Pretty obvious.

Reactions: TM2013
Why would you raise tuition and tell everyone it's to pay off a buyout?

That'd be stupid.

Just raise tuition. Ta-da!

And if the school is not benefiting from its basketball program, then none of the students are benefiting either. Pretty obvious.
You don't just "raise tuition". A tuition increase has to be approved by the board of trustees. You can't just sneak in a coach's buyout into a tuition increase. Everything in the budget is public.

serious question. What other school would want him? He brings headaches, drama, attention and not all of it good yet he doesn’t win. Half the reason he gets these recruits is because of the name on the front of the jersey. He ain’t getting top players at most other schools and we all know he can’t develop players so what school would want to deal with that?
This is too close to being a legitimate argument. Cal is too stubborn to voluntarily leave and no one else wants him with his exorbitant ego and history.

It won't. The most recent financial report says the basketball team had revenue of $31 million. Not profit, just revenue. Ticket sales were $21 million of that number. There's no world where the basketball team takes a $6 million hit next year, that mean ticket sales would need to basically be cut by a third. That's not happening.
I can definitely see a world where 1/3 of people opt out of games now. Maybe they still sell them to businesses but I can see if. Look at UofL it was 5K max every game.

They would hope he can recreate what he did the first 10 years here. He can turn a terrible team into a tourney team really quick. Sure, he can't coach worth a shit. But to a program like Michigan who just had 8 wins or some shit or SMU, he looks awfully enticing.

I’m pretty sure Michigan doesn’t want him. And I seriously doubt SMU would be willing to offer enough money to convince him to give up his ridiculously sweet UK contract.

It’s a nice thought. Him leaving for another school would be the best possible scenario for UK. But I don’t see it happening.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT