ADVERTISEMENT

In Case We've Forgotten ...

Bluesbrother

Junior
May 23, 2002
“My first priority ISN'T the Commonwealth of Kentucky, or the University, or the Legacy of the Program, or the greater glory of Big Blue Nation,” he writes. “I coach for the names on the backs of the jerseys—not just the front. My players.” -John Calipari

and he means it. In his mind, he has his priorities right where he wants them. Many believe the cost of his coaching tenure here at UK is the $9 million/year ... I would say the cost is unfortunately much higher ... so much so, we cannot begin to understand that cost. JMO.

Wow, I'm so glad you reposted this because I had totally forgotten about the other 6,278 times it's been posted or mentioned on RR!

Anything else Cal-Hate related you'd like to rehash a few thousand more times?

(for the record, I'm not supporting Cal...I'm just kinda tired of seeing the same old crap regurgitated over and over and over...and the NCAAT hasn't even started!)

Wow, I'm so glad you reposted this because I had totally forgotten about the other 6,278 times it's been posted or mentioned on RR!

(for the record, I'm not supporting Cal...I'm just kinda tired of seeing the same old crap regurgitated over and over and over...and the NCAAT hasn't even started!)
Cal is in more fans heads that they're in his.
Fan means fanatic.
I don't like the negativity, but I'd much rather here be a venting place as opposed to driving oneself and others around them mad.
I actually feel for those that allow this to so consume them .

The problem is UK fans grew up on and know basketball. Many of us played through high school for great coaches, have coached ourselves and know poor decisions when we see them.
Not starting your two best players has never been done by any college coach . It is stupid and bizarre . Puts us in a hole every game . if we were Vermont or Montana he could sell that garbage but we all know better . And we know he is doing it to play favorites and help the draft stock of his NBA wannabes to the detriment of our team.

Cal is in more fans heads that they're in his.
Fan means fanatic.
I don't like the negativity, but I'd much rather here be a venting place as opposed to driving oneself and others around them mad.
I actually feel for those that allow this to so consume them .
So your opinion is something you get to state with impunity while someone else’s opinion is proof something’s consuming them.

“My first priority ISN'T the Commonwealth of Kentucky, or the University, or the Legacy of the Program, or the greater glory of Big Blue Nation,” he writes. “I coach for the names on the backs of the jerseys—not just the front. My players.” -John Calipari

and he means it. In his mind, he has his priorities right where he wants them. Many believe the cost of his coaching tenure here at UK is the $9 million/year ... I would say the cost is unfortunately much higher ... so much so, we cannot begin to understand that cost. JMO.
You read that and skip I er everything he says toward the other side. Not just the front.... But, by all means keep doing that to yourself... It wont change anything

It needs repeating often because it’s soooo outlandish that people might not believe it , unless it’s placed before the slow learners very very often .. I’d rather see the truth than a polished lie anytime .. but that’s just me

The quote isn't forgotten. It's ignored.

Reactions: ManitouDan
So your opinion is something you get to state with impunity while someone else’s opinion is proof something’s consuming them.
Impunity means exempt.
If I were exempt you would not be permitted to reply back to me.
Perhaps consumed, like impunity was a broad brush statement.
Your welcome to voice your opinion to me anytime.

I feel like I remember something about him wanting these kids to make a bunch of money to take care of their families and whatnot. Or at least that's the gist of it. The NIL is a thing now, so no need for players to rush off.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi

This explains the starting lineup

Reactions: CUJO_1970

Nah man. You’re supporting Cal. And guys like who pretend that you’re not doing so when you are might be the worst.

Yet you posted and kept the thread relevant?

Reactions: CincyUKFan
Nah man. You’re supporting Cal. And guys like who pretend that you’re not doing so when you are might be the worst.
Nope, but maybe you aren't around here enough to even know much about me. I am not going to run around here faking disdain for Cal but secretly supporting him. I thought I've heard it all, but someone accusing another of something this silly is, well, plain silly.

I just think it's asinine to continue to repeat the same garbage. And the difference between you and me is - while I'm ready for Cal to go, I don't hate the man to my core, so much so that I'd have an urge to spend half the day fuming over him and running here to bitch and moan, over, and over, and over, and over, and over.

Last edited:
Can we at least wait until we lose before we post these all over the place?

We got a 3 seed, we're in a very good position to not only make a sweet 16, but also an E8 and even a Final4. Can we just enjoy this week? There will be plenty of time to blast Cal.
It really is unbelievable. But the last game was a loss so the world is over until the next win. Crazy stuff.

Reactions: warrior-cat
And people actually debate you and claim you’re wrong when you say that winning games at Kentucky isn’t the man’s priority.

(not win the title)
... and the Cal quote that you mention is even more damning than the one I posted. When can we just take the man at his word and realize that his priorities have nothing to do with any true UK fan enjoying the thought nor anticipation of something special in March. That's for ALL other college BB programs ... not UK. We're supposed to get excited about Draft night after we achieve nothing for all the money paid to Cal. With just about any hire you want to make, UK could get twice the coach for half the cost all without the lies and double-speak and without being talked "down-to" in some degrading manner. Enough with this hollow man who has been weighed, measured and found wanting ... once again.

Reactions: ULisnotmyman
I feel like I remember something about him wanting these kids to make a bunch of money to take care of their families and whatnot. Or at least that's the gist of it. The NIL is a thing now, so no need for players to rush off.
2 is more than 1
Some kids hate school.
It isn't anybody's business but theirs.

The problem is UK fans grew up on and know basketball.
I always laugh when I see this. Half this board openly admits they don't watch any other basketball except UK games. Very few here watch the NBA. They have very little clue of what the larger basketball landscape actually looks like, which is very evident by people who still think Brad Stevens would come coach here.

Some of what I read here are some of the stupidest basketball related takes I've ever read anywhere. The UK fanbase as a whole is just like every other fanbase: stupid with very little idea of the intricacies of what they're actually watching.

The problem is UK fans grew up on and know basketball. Many of us played through high school for great coaches, have coached ourselves and know poor decisions when we see them.
Not starting your two best players has never been done by any college coach . It is stupid and bizarre . Puts us in a hole every game . if we were Vermont or Montana he could sell that garbage but we all know better . And we know he is doing it to play favorites and help the draft stock of his NBA wannabes to the detriment of our team.
I still don't get the narrative that he is starting DJ and Edwards to help their draft stock when their draft stock continues to drop and Reed and Rob continue to rise.

Geez…just cheer for and supporting our team. You can bitch about something the coach said after the season.

Reactions: KYFOSSIL
Like others I'm excited, but a little indifferent nowadays. Another early exit won't surprise me, but neither would a final four. Doubt we see another championship with Cal though.

Anyway on the OP's quote, I found this scathing article(link below) from 2014 on "players first" "philosophy". "If he were truly a Players First coach, he might not have yanked the scholarships of those players he deemed unfit for his system when he was hired by Kentucky in 2009."

Lots of changes since then. Guess it is what it is. Still, I look forward to the tournament. "cautiously optimistic". Go Cats

Edit: The 2014 team made the title game following the article. The author ALSO expected an "early exit".

https://newrepublic.com/article/117094/john-caliparis-players-first-philosophy-failure

Last edited:
Calipari's players first philosophy is a spin off the concept of servant leadership promoted in the corporate world and even in the military. That is, that the role of the managing staff is not to be a traditional top-down manager, but to serve their team, help achieve their goals, promote autonomy among the team and give the team the toolbox needed to make the correct decision.

It's a bit different in athletics because players do need coaches in certain scenarios, but Calipari eludes all the time to giving players the ability to make decisions. That's part of the autonomy.

And when you realize that, you realize he's really just advocating a management style.

Of course, can argue with results, but it's never been as controversial as some want to think.

Reactions: ukcatz12
Some of what I read here are some of the stupidest basketball related takes I've ever read anywhere. The UK fanbase as a whole is just like every other fanbase: stupid with very little idea of the intricacies of what they're actually watching.
100% Truth.

Calipari's players first philosophy is a spin off the concept of servant leadership promoted in the corporate world and even in the military. That is, that the role of the managing staff is not to be a traditional top-down manager, but to serve their team, help achieve their goals, promote autonomy among the team and give the team the toolbox needed to make the correct decision.

It's a bit different in athletics because players do need coaches in certain scenarios, but Calipari eludes all the time to giving players the ability to make decisions. That's part of the autonomy.

And when you realize that, you realize he's really just advocating a management style.

Of course, can argue with results, but it's never been as controversial as some want to think.
Last sentence is dead on. This is such an overblown talking point. Cal's main point has always been if you take care of the players first then the team success will naturally follow. And it was pretty hard to argue that given the results of his first decade here.

Go watch some old high stakes NCAA tournament games and look at how he carries himself on the sideline. That's not a guy who couldn't care less about winning games. He's just got a different approach to doing it.

And I think the secret is if you asked most currently successful D1 coaches to be 100% honest they'd sound a lot like Cal does.

Reactions: KAB Cats

Autonomy is definitely one of the focuses. Make the players learn to find the initiative within themselves. By practice. By taking responsibility for their mistakes and growth. I think it's the Secret Sauce behind why Calipari's players prosper in the pros. The standard approach -- for 99.99% of other programs -- is to win games. Calipari's is to make men. (I've heard the howls before.) What the fans see as mulishness, Calipari sees as keeping his word. There's an old Zen saying, "No matter what others say, go your own way. "

I'd never heard about the link to the military and other organizations. I'd always assumed Servant Leadership was something he picked up from the Church and was independent of Players First. Learned something today. Thanks.

Yeah, nobody cared when he was winning. Looks stupid when he's losing, and playing random bad lineups.
If you’re gonna make bold comments like that you have to know that it could come back and bite you. But Cal is typical Italian. He runs hot and just says whatever. None of it bothers me, but I can see how it bothers some. He needs a good tournament run in the worst way. The fans need it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT