ADVERTISEMENT

UK launching NIL fund "making UK basketball the top NIL destination in college basketball."

Do they?
Who is the last UCONN player who got first round feedback and returned to school?
I got 20 that says Castle declares regardless of UCONN's post season.

That may be, but Hurley has stated they look for a very specific kind of kid… ones with team goals in mind rather than personal goals. If that’s what you are targeting that’s what you’re gonna wind up with more often than not. But Tweak is right, it takes a very good game coach to make those players reach FF’s.

If we want to dominate from beginning to the end of the season we have to get 2 or 3 older ultra talented transfers. If we are content losing several games while the young uns grow up we might only need one or two transfers. According how good they are. But now is the time we could dominate if we go out and get some great transfers every year.

Reactions: bigbluedon
2021 - #2
2022 - #5
2023 - #1
2024 - #2 currently

All from 24/7.

That was with us not having the biggest NIL too.

Sheeeeeeewwwww Weeeeeee We be lookin good when we add it

If we want to dominate from beginning to the end of the season we have to get 2 or 3 older ultra talented transfers. If we are content losing several games while the young uns grow up we might only need one or two transfers. According how good they are. But now is the time we could dominate if we go out and get some great transfers every year.
Transfers are no different than freshman.
You are still going to hit and miss on both.
Look at Arkansas, they done a lot better the year before with Black, Walsh and Smith.
Muss went all in on the portal and it bit him in the ass this season.
Ware was considered the #1 portal player and Indiana didn't make the tourney.

That may be, but Hurley has stated they look for a very specific kind of kid… ones with team goals in mind rather than personal goals. If that’s what you are targeting that’s what you’re gonna wind up with more often than not. But Tweak is right, it takes a very good game coach to make those players reach FF’s.
That's coach speak from Hurley.
He's getting the best kids he can find that actually want to go to UCONN.
He signed a HS and teammate of Justin Edwards for 24.
Do you think they are really that different in their mentality?
The kid(Nowell) also visited UK so it's not like he was turned off by the UK program.

Last edited:
Reactions: RipThru
What is wrong the players getting paid? It doesn't make them play better. Money and lots of it is what enables the blue bloods to hire the best coaches, in most cases.
Well technically speaking, you cannot pay for players to come to your school - "pay for play" is illegal. So schools who do that, even though cheating, have a clear advantage

It's SUPPOSED to be NIL, like Reed and Rob getting paid to do promotions for Donato's AFTER they arrive at campus. Or DJ getting a deal to be the face of Lexus dealerships AFTER he's arrive at campus

I mentioned in the other thread, it wouldn't surprise me if it's Gregg Darbyshire who does all of that. I think he will be heavily involved, if not lead, the NIL system being set up. He and Cal have a pre-existing relationship and his son is now on the team.
I'll give myself a pat on the back. It is Darbyshire who is leading the new NIL program.

Many confuse salary cap with NIL. Yes, the pro leagues have a salary cap that dictates how much a team can spend on salaries for entire team. It doesn’t dictate how much an individual can be paid. NIL is totally separate from salaries. These are the agreements that an individual signs with a company for using their name, image or likeness to advertise a product or service. The collectives have used the NIL loophole to simply pay for play.

Reactions: 1war
A few things to point out. And it's MASTERFUL marketing by Calipari.

1. Reed Sheppard is the only Freshman in the ad. How much do we want to bet that the first year of this collective is supposed to go into his pocket for him to return next year?

2. Adou Thiero is the other main character. Adou would be a HUGE piece to return next year, despite another heavy class of players who overlap his skill set. Another key guy UK will want to return next year.

3. Antonio Reeves is the only other player in the ad. A transfer, who has transformed his career at UK and could end up really benefiting by the transfer AND the second season. The NIL collective will be huge for UK in the portal, to get and keep the next Antonio Reeves.

Transfers are no different than freshman.
You are still going to hit and miss on both.
Look at Arkansas, they done a lot better the year before with Black, Walsh and Smith.
Muss went all in on the portal and it bit him in the ass this season.
Ware was considered the #1 portal player and Indiana didn't make the tourney.
Transfers will have the experience on the defensive end that you can only get from experience on that level. Why I said we need more portal guys because one may not be what you expect. And I am talking about dominating, not losing several games the first half of the season. If you want a team that you don't mind losing several games because the top priority is developing guys for the pro's then you don't need much in the portal. Most of our transfers have been pretty good. And it being UK we have a better chance than a lot of schools to pick and choose a little if we get serious about it early enough.

Many confuse salary cap with NIL. Yes, the pro leagues have a salary cap that dictates how much a team can spend on salaries for entire team. It doesn’t dictate how much an individual can be paid. NIL is totally separate from salaries. These are the agreements that an individual signs with a company for using their name, image or likeness to advertise a product or service. The collectives have used the NIL loophole to simply pay for play.
I think it would be fair and equitable if a cap was put on how much a player could make from NIL. Say $500,000 Then maybe kids like Hart could make some money and teams couldn't "buy"players

Reactions: NociHTTP
Transfers will have the experience on the defensive end that you can only get from experience on that level. Why I said we need more portal guys because one may not be what you expect. And I am talking about dominating, not losing several games the first half of the season. If you want a team that you don't mind losing several games because the top priority is developing guys for the pro's then you don't need much in the portal. Most of our transfers have been pretty good. And it being UK we have a better chance than a lot of schools to pick and choose a little if we get serious about it early enough.
Meshing HS recruiting with portal recruiting is easier said than done.
If Tennessee had landed Edwards, I don't think they get Knenct goes there.
He was clear in interviews that he was looking for a school that gave him the role he had a N.Col. just on a bigger stage.
The top portal guys are going to shy away from programs like UK and Duke because they don't want to be used as role players.
On the other hand, HS recruits don't want to be recruited over late in the spring.
Probably would have lost Bradshaw if Dickenson signed with UK.
In hindsight you may be ok with that trade off but what if it was a top portal guard and it caused us to lose Rob or Reed?

I think it would be fair and equitable if a cap was put on how much a player could make from NIL. Say $500,000 Then maybe kids like Hart could make some money and teams couldn't "buy"players
The courts haven't shown thus far that they think that way at all.
Seems as if they don't want to impede the free market whatsoever.

Reactions: StubbornPenny
Meshing HS recruiting with portal recruiting is easier said than done.
If Tennessee had landed Edwards, I don't think they get Knenct goes there.
He was clear in interviews that he was looking for a school that gave him the role he had a N.Col. just on a bigger stage.
The top portal guys are going to shy away from programs like UK and Duke because they don't want to be used as role players.
On the other hand, HS recruits don't want to be recruited over late in the spring.
Probably would have lost Bradshaw if Dickenson signed with UK.
In hindsight you may be ok with that trade off but what if it was a top portal guard and it caused us to lose Rob or Reed?
We just aren't going to be able to avoid several losses with mostly freshmen. Seeding is always on my mind so we have the best chance possible to win the championship. We play a lot of teams with juniors and seniors. We need to offset the mental and physical advantage all we can. But only take a transfer if he is a big position of need so we don't have to rely on a frosh.

Yet professional teams do...hmmm
Pro teams with salary caps work with a UNIONIZED labor force. The caps and maximum salaries are COLLECTIVELY BARGAINED.

College athletes would need to UNIONIZE for this to ever happen. Once this is established, both sides could set pay for play parameters, or NIL limits.

But as of now, college athletes have no reason to do so. They've got all the leverage and court decisions behind them. Until the college break down and finally admit that they're employees, which they seem to want to delay until the bitter end, nothing changes.

You can't cap an individual's NIL in a free market, period.

Reactions: sjjones
Yet professional teams do...hmmm
The Cincinnati Bengals have a salary cap but Joe Burrow could shoot a commercial every single day if he wanted to.
His is legit NIL.
Thus far the courts don't seem to care where the money comes from or what the player is doing to earn it.
They seem to be fully on the side of the player to reap as much as they can leaving the schools little option other than to join in the fray or get left behind.

Pro teams with salary caps work with a UNIONIZED labor force. The caps and maximum salaries are COLLECTIVELY BARGAINED.

College athletes would need to UNIONIZE for this to ever happen. Once this is established, both sides could set pay for play parameters, or NIL limits.

But as of now, college athletes have no reason to do so. They've got all the leverage and court decisions behind them. Until the college break down and finally admit that they're employees, which they seem to want to delay until the bitter end, nothing changes.

You can't cap an individual's NIL in a free market, period.
Still couldn't set NIL limits in collective bargaining.
It wouldn't supersede a courts decision.

The Cincinnati Bengals have a salary cap but Joe Burrow could shoot a commercial every single day if he wanted to.
His is legit NIL.
Thus far the courts don't seem to care where the money comes from or what the player is doing to earn it.
They seem to be fully on the side of the player to reap as much as they can leaving the schools little option other than to join in the fray or get left behind.

Correct. The recent rulings and injunctions have basically been the first steps in forcing universities to count athletes as employees.

Once they're employees, someone (and someone will be) very smart to create a SEC Athletes Union, Big10 Athletes Union, etc etc

NIL can still exist, but it will be less loopholey and shady now that there will be actual pay to play contracts

And the reason why the school are fighting this so hard is that players would have even more leverage. If one kid sits out the NCAA tournament because he doesn't like his NIL, who cares? If one or more conference players unions decided to strike say, ohhhh March 1st....

Still couldn't set NIL limits in collective bargaining.
It wouldn't supersede a courts decision.
maybe not, but NIL would lose a lot of power once the schools are paying them to play, not with the weird end around of NIL collectives

Like NIL is fine, but if the school terminates your contract, that NIL dries up pretty fast.

Be VERY interested in how much all of JVC's millionaires are willing to pony up your help La Familia 😀

Idk why this horrible idea seems to be so wide spread. No pro sports shouldn’t have a salary cap, and no college sports should definitely not have an NIl salary cap because that doesn’t even make sense. The school is not the ones paying the players companies are to have the players advertise for them, why would you arbitrarily cap that?
That's your opinion. Money doesn't belong in collegiate sports, period. There's a reason why pro sports have a salary cap.

maybe not, but NIL would lose a lot of power once the schools are paying them to play, not with the weird end around of NIL collectives

Like NIL is fine, but if the school terminates your contract, that NIL dries up pretty fast.
Yeah idk how it would work.
Would there be a national contract or "master" negotiated on behalf of all schools and then each school have a separate "local" agreement with their players.
I don't think universities will ever want to recognize players as employees simply because of health care and workers comp issues.
I really think the courts have the opinion to let it run it's natural course and it will self adjust over time.
Both UK and NKU play D1 basketball.
How could you have an agreement that both schools could abide by?
If that comes to pass, I could see D1 dropping about 200 schools

We need a guy like him to help us rid UK of this OAD nonsense.

Idk why this horrible idea seems to be so wide spread. No pro sports shouldn’t have a salary cap, and no college sports should definitely not have an NIl salary cap because that doesn’t even make sense. The school is not the ones paying the players companies are to have the players advertise for them, why would you arbitrarily cap that?
I disagree that pro sports shouldn’t have a Salary cap. Otherwise LA, NY and maybe like 3 other teams would ever even be competitive. NIL shouldn’t have a cap because it’s companies/fans that are the ones funding any possible contracts for the players.

We need a guy like him to help us rid UK of this OAD nonsense.
Until he puts a "Tubby" roster out there with "Tubby" results.
Idk how old you are but if you remember the 04 team that was #1 overall seed, can you honestly say you enjoyed watching that team over this year's team 8 losses and all?

Be VERY interested in how much all of JVC's millionaires are willing to pony up your help La Familia 😀
They already did contribute and you would be shocked at their generosity. UK bball has had a huge nil due to Cal’s relationship with his former players. UK fans should be very appreciative of what Cal has done privately and also of the former players contributions giving back to UK.

Those on here who think UK had no basketball nil are sorely mistaken. It may be the tops in the country.

Yeah idk how it would work.
Would there be a national contract or "master" negotiated on behalf of all schools and then each school have a separate "local" agreement with their players.
I don't think universities will ever want to recognize players as employees simply because of health care and workers comp issues.
I really think the courts have the opinion to let it run it's natural course and it will self adjust over time.
Both UK and NKU play D1 basketball.
How could you have an agreement that both schools could abide by?
If that comes to pass, I could see D1 dropping about 200 schools

I'd assume it'd start conference to conference, and then one day it'd break away to non-NCAA super conferences that'd create their own Teams-Athletes CBA agreement. Probably 100-120 teams or so to maintain the 64 team style bracket.

College definitely do not want to recognize athletes as employees, but as some point they will be forced to. Perhaps they can come up with a distinction of only having to "employ" those sports that do or have potential to make revenue? That raises some title IX problems, but also as employees, UK sure is allowed to pay Capilouto a lot more than they pay me due to his specific skills and job duties... Title IX is about sex discimination, not ability to produce profit for the employer. There's arguments to be made on both sides.

What would happen with small D1 teams? Maybe the NCAA reorganizes to deal with them, or they break off into a subdivision. Maybe there's a renewed interest in teams "doing it the right way" and not being pro college teams.

That's your opinion. Money doesn't belong in collegiate sports, period. There's a reason why pro sports have a salary cap.
Money is not in college sports… the people who play college sports become famous and then other companies pay them to represent them…. The college and players are not exchanging money. Unless you are saying no one should be able to work a part time job too then you have no argument

Money is not in college sports… the people who play college sports become famous and then other companies pay them to represent them…. The college and players are not exchanging money. Unless you are saying no one should be able to work a part time job too then you have no argument
technically, you're correct. By the way the collectives operate legally you're correct.

But let's face the reality, these collectives are catch all's for donor money, then that money is *wink wink promised* to attend the school they're affiliated with, and the athletes do a few commercials or appearances in return.

As the season progresses, sure a Sheppard or Dillingham may score some extra on account of being popular. But the money is waved in front of the kids' face well before any real fame or good play on the court.

They already did contribute and you would be shocked at their generosity. UK bball has had a huge nil due to Cal’s relationship with his former players. UK fans should be very appreciative of what Cal has done privately and also of the former players contributions giving back to UK.

Those on here who think UK had no basketball nil are sorely mistaken. It may be the tops in the country.
Source? Believe when I see it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT