ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball NIL fund

I've been a huge Cal critic. However, with this new NIL you have to give him at least 3 more years. He's the absolute perfect coach to capitalize on something like this. As much as his shortcomings as an X's and O's coach, if we get the absolute best of the best it won't matter.
HELL NO. He can't coach.

Should have started a “contract buyout” fund to get rid of Cal. Id say it would raise more money and benefit the program more long term.

Reactions: cathead64 and Ugoff
Lol, anyone that donates to that stuff while colleges are ripping off families with their asinine tuition rates, along with teaching your kids to hate you, with what coaches make…

you’re a fool if you donate. An absolute fool.

I'd get more value and entertainment out of lighting a pile of cash on fire than donating it to a program run by a coach who doesn't care about it.

Reactions: cathead64

I Like the players, i'll give. It's not money to the coach, of which i'm not happy with. But we need to do our best to keep up with competition and eventually we will have a new coach and want to show we have huge NIL support.

HELL NO. He can't coach.
No he can't, not at all. But I think with the new NIL deal he can start to get the top 5 guys consistently again sprinkled in with some veteran transfers. In which he has proven he can win with. But he has to start getting top 5 guys, he can't win any other way.

Bump....give 'til it hurts, people, you gotta dig deep to beat the Oaklands of the world.

Reactions: cathead64
No he can't, not at all. But I think with the new NIL deal he can start to get the top 5 guys consistently again sprinkled in with some veteran transfers. In which he has proven he can win with. But he has to start getting top 5 guys, he can't win any other way.
This idea that UK just needs to get better freshmen (it's up to Top 5 now?) is a fallacy and relic of thinking from the past. Calipari is not going to win relying on Top 5 recruiting ranked players in todays' CBB environment, and neither is any other coach. (Although, I don't think Calipari is going to win at the highest level now regardless of the roster. It's just well past time for him to at least move on, and probably retire.)

I think the "just need to get better freshmen" idea is anchored in an era many of us remember when most players stayed in college regardless of where they were ranked coming out of high school. They generally played subservient roles as freshmen, learned the game, matured, and developed into great players by upperclassmen. There are (and have always been) exceptions, of course, but you're not going to be successful basing a methodology on "what happened one time at band camp." Relying on 5-star freshmen to carry your team was always a difficult way to make it, but now it's just absurd to try. In this era of the transfer portal and NIL, returning players and top transfers should be the guys to carry the load; and freshmen should mainly be role players with no more than one (or two at the most) starting and playing the most minutes. They'll work ok in limited exposure, but not in starring roles. Moreover, given that they're only going to play their freshmen year, OADs are of questionable value if their presence negates getting a top transfer.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT