ADVERTISEMENT

UK launching NIL fund "making UK basketball the top NIL destination in college basketball."

Money is not in college sports… the people who play college sports become famous and then other companies pay them to represent them…. The college and players are not exchanging money. Unless you arMone saying no one should be able to work a part time job too then you have no argument
Money has ALWAYS been in college sports. Just now it's legal.

Reactions: ukfan041
I'd like to see these "deals" be good enough to motivate players to stay in school, at least longer. Can you imagine this team next year? We are sooo close on defense and several areas, that just come from being young at almost every position. If it could be done, we all win and we graduate players

This has to be negotiated with the NBA. Just no other way that I can see. Otherwise, it just becomes a spending contest. But I don't think we are so far apart that it's insurmountable. Dreaming...I know.

Meshing HS recruiting with portal recruiting is easier said than done.
If Tennessee had landed Edwards, I don't think they get Knenct goes there.
He was clear in interviews that he was looking for a school that gave him the role he had a N.Col. just on a bigger stage.
The top portal guys are going to shy away from programs like UK and Duke because they don't want to be used as role players.
On the other hand, HS recruits don't want to be recruited over late in the spring.
Probably would have lost Bradshaw if Dickenson signed with UK.
In hindsight you may be ok with that trade off but what if it was a top portal guard and it caused us to lose Rob or Reed?
To think Reed or Rob could be threatnened by a "top" portal gaurd is laughable, sorry

Where is all this money going to come from? KY isn't a state packed with rich business people looking to toss their money around at the drop of a hat. We have some to be sure but, nothing on the order from which programs like Texas can pull millions pretty easily and quickly. I mean they just bought out Jimbo's $75 million contract without batting an eye!
Will UK be calling on season ticket holders to pony up even more? You know they are going to be targeted. We will probably do pretty well but, there are programs around the country that can easily outbid UK if so motivated.

I don’t think our fan base is close to being the biggest. Michigan, Texas, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and several others are much larger than ours.

However, if you’re talking about the most active, fervent, best-traveling, avid fan base. Well, there’s none better than BBN!
Not a one of those schools has more than a passing interest in basketball. All have very large football fanbases, but strictly speaking of basketball, UK is at or near the top of the list.

Where is all this money going to come from? KY isn't a state packed with rich business people looking to toss their money around at the drop of a hat. We have some to be sure but, nothing on the order from which programs like Texas can pull millions pretty easily and quickly. I mean they just bought out Jimbo's $75 million contract without batting an eye!
Will UK be calling on season ticket holders to pony up even more? You know they are going to be targeted. We will probably do pretty well but, there are programs around the country that can easily outbid UK if so motivated.
A&M has oil barons for boosters. The owner of Buccees is an A&M booster. We're probably not going to compete with A&M football money.

Basketball: I don't think we have to. I think that program is way more concerned with football. And kids don't grow up dreaming of playing basketball at Texas A&M

A&M has oil barons for boosters. The owner of Buccees is an A&M booster. We're probably not going to compete with A&M football money.

Basketball: I don't think we have to. I think that program is way more concerned with football. And kids don't grow up dreaming of playing basketball at Texas A&M

Lot of programs have always been able to outbid most of the dominant sports schools when it comes to resources, facilities, etc...but haven't. I don't know that all of a sudden because they can get some funds to players that things will change much.

If we're strictly going off the math equation of rich alumni base = unfair advantage and winning, then no SEC program would really be good at anything. Yet the conference pretty much owns a lot.

The winners of the above equation should be UVA, Notre Dame, Stanford, Michigan, Northwestern, USC, UCLA, Texas...all top wealthiest alumni basis in the country, probably world. Michigan has 2 titles in 50 years, Texas about the same. Neither have done anything in basketball. USC had a pop in football...nothing with staying power. All the other rich schools haven't done much.

Aggies for all their wealth, have only ever managed to fight with OSU, KSU, Tech, and more recently Ole Miss, Miss St, Auburn to sniff the farts of the big dogs.

Things may change, who knows, but thus far consistent success over multiple decades in sports hasn't belonged to the alma maters of the very wealthy. They're generally not as specifically and intensely interested in college sports. That's more of a thing for working middle classes who grow up, live, work in the same area, invest at least casual time/money/fandom in the same school for generations.

The uber rich who want to be involved in sports buy sports franchises and would just as soon get an ROI if they sell a portion if not all of the team. Mark Cuban could've single handedly made IU basketball the premier destination with what would amount to money he found in a sofa and rounding error for his accountant that he could've donated and written off as a loss on his taxes. He hasn't and won't.

Wal-Mart heirs can piss on whatever amount of money Aggies think they have, yet Arkansas is Arkansas.

The first criteria I have with deciding whether I like a change with college basketball, whether it be NIL itself, caps, or whatever, is if it takes power away from the NCAA. They've shat on us enough.

That's why I'm concerned about NIL rules and regulations like caps. There must be a better way than making a bunch of rules and putting the NCAA in charge of enforcement. They would like nothing better than to retain their ability to protect their untouchable programs.

Lot of programs have always been able to outbid most of the dominant sports schools when it comes to resources, facilities, etc...but haven't. I don't know that all of a sudden because they can get some funds to players that things will change much.

If we're strictly going off the math equation of rich alumni base = unfair advantage and winning, then no SEC program would really be good at anything. Yet the conference pretty much owns a lot.

The winners of the above equation should be UVA, Notre Dame, Stanford, Michigan, Northwestern, USC, UCLA, Texas...all top wealthiest alumni basis in the country, probably world. Michigan has 2 titles in 50 years, Texas about the same. Neither have done anything in basketball. USC had a pop in football...nothing with staying power. All the other rich schools haven't done much.

Aggies for all their wealth, have only ever managed to fight with OSU, KSU, Tech, and more recently Ole Miss, Miss St, Auburn to sniff the farts of the big dogs.

Things may change, who knows, but thus far consistent success over multiple decades in sports hasn't belonged to the alma maters of the very wealthy. They're generally not as specifically and intensely interested in college sports. That's more of a thing for working middle classes who grow up, live, work in the same area, invest at least casual time/money/fandom in the same school for generations.

The uber rich who want to be involved in sports buy sports franchises and would just as soon get an ROI if they sell a portion if not all of the team. Mark Cuban could've single handedly made IU basketball the premier destination with what would amount to money he found in a sofa and rounding error for his accountant that he could've donated and written off as a loss on his taxes. He hasn't and won't.

Wal-Mart heirs can piss on whatever amount of money Aggies think they have, yet Arkansas is Arkansas.
The fact that NIL has only been around for 3ish years (legit NIL; Duke and KU been doing it 10+)... renders all of your points moot (... consistent success over multiple decades...).
Fact is... if a kid doesn't care about UK, and Texas (et al.) offers more money... they're going to Texas. If we have a kid Texas (et al.) decides it wants, they'll buy him and his family.
Fortunately, all of those schools (w/ the deep pockets) you mentioned really only care about football, so we may be safe in that regard.

$5000 for a basketball! What a deal!
2 things.........

1. Think of it as paying for future entertainment and adding to the probability of UK's success. if they give you anything like a basketball or a poster, thats just a thank you bonus item.

2. If you donate anything, look on the bright side, even if the best roster cal ever has loses 8 regular season games... you legit have the full on right to demand better and be upset your money was wasted.

2 things.........

1. Think of it as paying for future entertainment and adding to the probability of UK's success. if they give you anything like a basketball or a poster, thats just a thank you bonus item.

2. If you donate anything, look on the bright side, even if the best roster cal ever has loses 8 regular season games... you legit have the full on right to demand better and be upset your money was wasted.
I just think the rewards tiers are pretty ridiculous. Signed ball for $500-1000? Maybe, $5k? Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT